教育王國

標題: 入耀中係咪死硬~~~ [打印本頁]

作者: 牛津    時間: 09-6-4 16:18     標題: 入耀中係咪死硬~~~

我女3歲, 暑假後入耀中讀幼稚園, 頭先在自己講場同人talk開, 佢一句到尾  耀中 is not a good school.好驚wor, 唔係咁差炸話
作者: hysterical    時間: 09-6-4 17:33

係.

Unless your child is exceptional and would do well basically anywhere.

Get out while you can.
作者: jui    時間: 09-6-4 18:21

咩事發生呀?
講清楚少少,唔該....
原帖由 hysterical 於 09-6-4 17:33 發表
係.

Unless your child is exceptional and would do well basically anywhere.

Get out while you can.

作者: Pianokc    時間: 09-6-4 18:31

I would say, if your child has no other school offer, and you want IS, then yes, go to Yew Chung.
作者: 蜜蜜    時間: 09-6-4 18:38

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-6-4 18:31 發表
I would say, if your child has no other school offer, and you want IS, then yes, go to Yew Chung.

pianokc,

i'm sorry to post here, but i'd like to ask u some questions, pls check pm.
作者: emmamay    時間: 09-6-4 19:03

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-6-4 18:31 發表

Yes, totally agreed. If your kid can go to other proper int'l school, leave Yew Chung.
作者: CMNT    時間: 09-6-4 21:36

我都好慨嘆當年的"耀中"輾轉變成而家咁... 唉~
作者: siubosiumao    時間: 09-6-4 23:14

totally agree... get out while you can.
my kid is in yew chung right now. the education and teachers is ok but its a rip off. there are other better schools in hk that offer better value for your money.
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-6-4 23:31

Are you sure Yew Chung is really that bad?
Or, you were all rejected by Yew Chung before and are not bad-mouthing them.

OK, I am only speculating.
I learnt it from another member "Mighty".
She feels that any negative comments about a school should not be posted.
People that spread negative comments of a school, are probably those who got rejected by a school.

So you guys confess, otherwise Mighty is going to go after you.
作者: wootaitai    時間: 09-6-4 23:34

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: Yau_Cheung    時間: 09-6-5 08:58

I also heard that student from Yew Chung can transfer to CIS after completed primary.

原帖由 wootaitai 於 09-6-4 23:34 發表
why? my friends daughter went there (few years ago) and she got into DGS

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-5 09:31

My kid was in YC. It was by far the worst experience I've ever been through. All they care is money. Well, I would not say my kid learnt nothing from there but I am sure their standard can not meet most of the parent's expectation...what I am saying the expectation here is not very high. Either change to a real local school or a real internatinoal school.
作者: sunflowersg    時間: 09-6-5 10:04

then is there any good real International Kinder in KL? Tsing Yi ESF is too far for us..

thanks!
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-5 11:03

YMCA, AISHK
作者: imma    時間: 09-6-5 11:33

原帖由 牛津 於 09-6-4 16:18 發表
我女3歲, 暑假後入耀中讀幼稚園, 頭先在自己講場同人talk開, 佢一句到尾  耀中 is not a good school.好驚wor, 唔係咁差炸話

YC has kindergarten, primary and secondary sections. The general comments are:

kindergarten -- fine to very good.

primary -- acceptable; so-so; not good value for money; their better students will eventually transfer to other IS.

secondary -- very bad.
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-5 11:42

What we should make it clear is that every school would has exceptional case. what we are talking about here is in general case but not exceptional case.

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-6-5 08:58 發表
I also heard that student from Yew Chung can transfer to CIS after completed primary.

作者: happy-kid    時間: 09-6-5 13:05     標題: 回覆 2# hysterical 的文章

會唔會偏激左d呢?
作者: foolish.mom    時間: 09-6-5 18:26

Yes, my kid is one of those transferred to CIS after completed Yew Chung primary.

Yes, one of my kid's kindergarten classmate in Yew Chung got into DGS.

My observation is that those bright kids can become really creative and bilingual in Yew Chung.  Not many schools can achieve the above qualities. Of course, there are failure cases that kids are no good in either language.

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-6-5 08:58 發表

作者: foolish.mom    時間: 09-6-5 18:27

imma,

I agree with your comments about YC.

Just to add that lower primary is still good but upper primary becomes "so so".

原帖由 imma 於 09-6-5 11:33 發表

YC has kindergarten, primary and secondary sections. The general comments are:

kindergarten -- fine to very good.

primary -- acceptable; so-so; not good value for money; their better students will ...

作者: hysterical    時間: 09-6-5 19:03

Regarding kindergarten level, I personally know of several kids who were rejected by IS when they applied for year 1 due to language issues.

After Year 6, usually 1 student (out of 100) gets accepted by CIS. Many go overseas, and others who knows where. Very few stay for secondary school.

In lower primary, everything seems great because that's what the school tells everyone. By the time the kids get to upper primary, it's often already too late to transfer. With sub-par English and sub-par Chinese, where can they go?

That's what I meant by get out while you can. Unless you are sure that your kid is the one in one hundred who can get into CIS.
作者: Yau_Cheung    時間: 09-6-5 20:58

After read all comments here, it concluded that your kid is a very bright kid.

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-6-5 18:26 發表
Yes, my kid is one of those transferred to CIS after completed Yew Chung primary.

My observation is that those bright kids can  ...

作者: 牛津    時間: 09-6-5 23:39

睇左你的回覆, 個心真係舒服番好多, 多謝你.
原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-6-5 18:26 發表

My observation is that those bright kids can  ...

作者: BobbyDaddy    時間: 09-6-24 00:10

原帖由 牛津 於 09-6-5 23:39 發表
睇左你的回覆, 個心真係舒服番好多, 多謝你.

我都有同感,yc唔咪差成咁!每間學校都有好、壞嘅...
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-24 13:49

Not Must but most likely!
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-6-25 10:48

YCIS is the most local international school. They only have a couple of non-Chinese within the school. Everyone speaks cantonese, not English or even Putonghua. Most students transferred from local band 2 or band 3 schools at some point. Those students have really low English standard (low even when considering local school standard) but the parents still want them to study in an English medium school. There are also Band 1 elite school dropouts. I know that there are students from DGS, La Salle, etc. They could not cope with their own school, and do not want to switch to some XYZ School. There are also those rich kids from China. Some of them cannot even speak in English in a complete sentense.
But these families are all rich. That's it. They can pay for what they want. That is an "English medium school" and a name of "international school". Honestly, do you think any of them can be in any other international schools at all?
Those that joined the school all the way from kindergarten or P1? Most would leave to go to much better international schools. Others that stayed are those that have plans to go overseas to boarding schools soon.
Imagine what kind of school environment such school is?
作者: 方麗娟    時間: 09-6-25 12:11

見到呢個topic好耐...題目比我感覺係, 個心好唔舒服, 點解要用"死硬"嚟形容學生/家長?

至於程度, 我唔知呢間學校點, 不過知道有朋友個女原本在耀中讀到year 3, 但覺得個女中文唔好, 轉咗去德望讀.
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-25 12:19

I hardly find a better word to replace "死硬". Believe or not, up to you.
作者: a16107b    時間: 09-6-25 13:10

原帖由 Cara2006 於 09-6-25 10:48 發表
YCIS is the most local international school. They only have a couple of non-Chinese within the school. Everyone speaks cantonese, not English or even Putonghua. Most students transferred from local ba ...

100% agree...i am a student from DSC...i remember we had a basketball match last year with YCIS. i heard their player all speak chinese=.='''.even the coach too... i feel very weird..is this international school or local school? i speak english with a guy,,,(because he fouls)but he didn't understand what i said..  
but i think not 100% student.........
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-25 14:29

A friend of mine is an Austrlian born Chinese but she cannot speak Cantonese. She asked some questions during the breifing session at YC. The principal asked for repeat and repeat (maybe normally english questions are handled by other principal, but she was away at this breifing). Eventually, my friends just use some very simple English and talk really slow to make her understand. I doubt how can an under-qualified principal to run an international school.
作者: hysterical    時間: 09-6-25 17:45

HAHAHA... That must be the Chinese co-prinicipal. If you have met her, you would not be impressed by her in either Chinese or English. No need to say more...

原帖由 Williamhero2009 於 09-6-25 14:29 發表
A friend of mine is an Austrlian born Chinese but she cannot speak Cantonese. She asked some questions during the breifing session at YC. The principal asked for repeat and repeat (maybe normally engl ...

作者: mcdhcpc    時間: 09-6-27 18:26

How about the courses provided by YALC? Is there anyone who has heard of the comments on the English courses for kindergarten kids?
作者: csce    時間: 09-6-28 08:03

作者: nintendo    時間: 09-6-28 13:04

I have no doubt that csce's child must  be one of the best students at Yew Chung. So this kid can hardly be used as a "reference" of how good an average kid at Yew Chung is. To look at a school, I would rather look at the norm, or look at what most children can perform.
Plus, I really have doubt whether the same child would still be one of the top ones if he/she is with another IS like GSIS, HKIS or even ESF.
I am not trying to challenge csce in any way. But knowing how YC rate their students, I know that really average student can receive unrealistically impressive comments and results in their reports. So parents might need to make objective adjustments when looking at their children's acheivements at Yew Chung. A very average student (when compared to other IS) can possibly turn out to be one of the best ones at YC.
As far as I know, there are only probably 10% amongst the really best ones that would stay beyond P6 at YC. Presuming that there are 10 really good students in P6, only 1 would stay with YC. The other 9 would go to much better schools like HKIS, GSIS and ESF. And to be honest, these really top students at YC, would usually turned out to be very average with their new schools initially.
And these schools know. They know by seeing the the students at interviews and admission tests. They know that they should never trust the reports produced by YC.
And YC and YC parents are usually very proud to tell others that there is this child that was accepted by HKIS, or GSIS, etc. Or there is this child that, probably like csce's child, has all kinds of acheivements, etc.
But let me ask you, how many child at YC are that good? What about the rest?
The fact is that, most P6 children at YC is really behind when compared to other international schools. Well, may be except Chinese standard, since almost all children are local chinese (some have huge problem with taking part in a complete English conversation) and a large percentage of students are local elite school dropouts.
入耀中係咪死硬? Not if all parents want are nice impressive reports, impressive reference letters, etc. Seldom would they disappoint you. In fact, you would not notice the problem as long as you stay with Yew Chung until you need to apply for universities.
One thing that is funny, is that YC is very proud of their university admission statistics. They always tell parents that their university admission rate is 100%.
Ha! What an acheivement.
Knowing the variety of universities you can get at the US, 100% university admittance is in fact not hard to acheive. Yet they are so proud of this, they must presume that all parents are stupid.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-6-28 13:19 編輯 ]
作者: csce    時間: 09-6-28 13:42

作者: thankful    時間: 09-6-28 23:03

作者: foolish.mom    時間: 09-6-28 23:40

csce,

Just want to echo your comments that some gifted kids can really become bilingual and creative in Yew Chung.  Although my kid has left Yew Chung (joined CIS after graduation from Yew Chung primary), we have absolutely no regret for choosing Yew Chung for nursary, kindergarten and primary school.

原帖由 csce 於 09-6-28 13:42 發表
My child has participated in the International Talent Search administrated by the John Hopkins University and earned "High Honour" scores in both the vebral and quantitative parts of the test, and we  ...

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-29 09:14

In nutshell, YC is money minded and below average despite I graduated from there 30 yrs ago. NO more arugment as I don't want ppl think we ar e sort of smearing, stoking tension here. If ppls want to go there, go ahead and all the best from the bottom of my heart.
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-6-29 12:11

原帖由 csce 於 09-6-28 13:42 發表
My child has participated in the International Talent Search administrated by the John Hopkins University and earned "High Honour" scores in both the vebral and quantitative parts of the test, and we were invited to attend an award ceremony.

If it is not already clear in my previous post, let me state it clearly that my purpose is not to boast how good my child is (there is no need for me to convince anyone about this) nor to sell/defend any particular school. Any caring parents will choose the best available school for their kids. My purpose is just to share my experience which indicates an "No" to "入耀中係咪死硬 ".

I never said that you were trying to show off or anything.
In fact, I have made it clear that I would not consider a couple of top/good students can represent the whole of Yew Chung.
Your child and foolish.mom's child were not "入耀中死硬" because they were amongst the top students.
In a class of around 20-25, there are probably one or two that are really really outstanding. Then there may be around 3-4 that are "above average" within Yew Chung (ie only very average compared to other international schools). These usually would leave soon for HKIS, GSIS, CIS, or ESF soon.
For the remaining 20 students, probably another 15 to be considered "average" within Yew Chung (ie below average compared to other international schools). These would basically fail almost all admission tests with other international schools,  and would have to stay with Yew Chung throughout secondary.
Then there is the last 5 students that are really really poor in all aspects even within Yew Chung. Most of these children have huge learning problem, eg ADHD etc. The school does not have any support for children with special needs. They do not help these children would only "suggest"  the child to repeat one year (yep, no kidding, they love asking people to repeat). The would provide no assistance to you, eg providing assistance to students with special needs like ESF does. And ESF is in fact cheaper than Yew Chung, I want to remind everyone. I do not want to argus whether Yew Chung has better Chinese program than ESF. I know a lot of kids from both schools. I would say that YC's chinese is just "average" while their English is "poor". If this is still ok, go for it.
If all I want is "average" chinese and "poor English, there are a lot of other schools around in Hong Kong charging you much less.
This is all I am going to say.
Good luck to those who are joining YC, and those who decided to stay with YC.
And "well done" for those who already got offers from other really good schools.
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-6-29 12:13

原帖由 Williamhero2009 於 09-6-29 09:14 發表
In nutshell, YC is money minded and below average despite I graduated from there 30 yrs ago. NO more arugment as I don't want ppl think we ar e sort of smearing, stoking tension here. If ppls want to  ...

Me too.
I was a Yew Chung baby too.
I was in the kindergarten.
I have alwyas thought that it was such a good school then.
And in fact, it was still quite good a few years ago, but when they kind of expanded their primary section, everything turned really horrible.
作者: ShatinIvy    時間: 09-7-12 00:28

I am just curious. My son is not in YC.

If YC is so bad, how come it has such good result in IB & GCSE?

"耀中國際學校中學部亦有約四分一人考獲四十分或以上"
http://www.singtao.com/yesterday/edu/0221go02.html
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-12 11:01

作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-12 11:16

原帖由 ShatinIvy 於 09-7-12 00:28 發表

http://www.singtao.com/yesterday/edu/0221g ...

I do not know how good is 40+. Because according to my limited knowledge 40 is already very different from 43. I would say that in most IS, we are talking about lots of students being able to get 40-42, but a lot fewer 43-45.
So which "range" are those YC students, we do not know.
One thing for sure is that, YC has never been good at university placements in their whole past. From what I remember, they have in the past posted a list on their website of universities their students have got admission to. It was an accumulative list of universities of their whole history, not a list for a specific year. But even such accumulative list was not impressive.
Having said that, I agree that if one gets 40+, he probably can get admission to many good universities. Although I would not say one fourth of 40+ is worth that much talk (sorry to be direct, but I really do not think this is something other schools would be proud of at all, this still YC;s new record. Considering their pass achievements, this is probably the best results they have ever had. This is definitely one big step forward for YC. So finally, parents have something on hand to tell people how good their school is.
Having said that, I would say that YC is still behind other IS. So may be still too early to be too proud.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-7-12 11:29 編輯 ]
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-12 11:38

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-12 11:01 發表
How interesting!  

The newspaper said "耀中國際學校中學部今年亦有四十八人報考IB課程,當中有兩人取得四十三分,有九人取得四十分以上"

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/article/090707/3/d2vi.html

The result looks g ...

That makes more sense.
I know that we are talking about "outstanding" results for anything over 42.
But, yes, this is really impressive, especially for YC.
I am also interested in knowing the university placements statistics.
I have seen their list a few years back and it was totally disappointed.

One more interested thing. Singtao has always been "in good relation" with Yew Chung. You can see that YC is the only school with no full score students that has been mentioned. And coincidently YC is being "quoted" by both reports.
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-12 11:55

According to article, there are 2 students that got 45 marks.
One of them was with SPCC before joining Lee Po Chun. More, Lee Po Chun is supposed to be "the top" IB school in Hong Kong. It takes the best students, not only from Hong Kong but also from other countries. And sadly, the top score goes to a student from a local school, but not student who has always been with a western or IS curriculum.
The other one was from KGV, not SC which has been the hottest ESF school amongst local Chinese parents. And we are able to determine his background, ie whether he has always been an ESF student, or he was from a local school just like the one at Lee Po Chun. But mind you, according to the article, there are 800 students from the whole ESF taking IBD exams. Only one hits 45 is really not a big deal.
So are parents so determined local schools cannot give you the education students need?
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-12 11:57

原帖由 ShatinIvy 於 09-7-12 00:28 發表

http://www.singtao.com/yesterday/edu/0221g ...

Yew Chung takes a lot of local school students for IB diploma. So you can see that it is the solid foundation in local school that students need to take them to the highest level.
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-12 12:00

How interesting!  

The result looks g ...

Take ESF as an example. KGV probably has the most local chinese students.
We are unable to tell what background does this guy that got 45 marks has. I would not be surprised if he is from a complete local chinese family, and even more, he might have joined KVG for only a couple of years.
The student at Lee Po Chun was in fact from SPCC.
Does that tell you anything?
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-12 12:30

原帖由 Cara2006 於 09-7-12 12:00 發表

Take ESF as an example. KGV probably has the most local chinese students.
We are unable to tell what background does this guy that got 45 marks has. I would not be surprised if he is from a complete ...

Welcome back.
Wonder why you have so much time spending in a place where you have no interests in.
Do you think you are wasting your valuable time talking to people like me?

By the way, may be you would also want to share your views too on why those local school top students refused to stay in local schools.
作者: chingyu    時間: 09-7-12 15:00

My cousin has been studying in YC since primary 1 and has just finished Year 11.
Now he is 14-year-old.  He got TOP IGCSE Student Awards and accepted by several Universities in UK.
So...........I would say  "入耀中doesn't mean死硬".
作者: chingyu    時間: 09-7-12 15:09

hi thankful,
I am holding the pamphlet of YC Secondary graduation ceremony so I get some information here.
If you would have more detail, I think you may check with University Guidance Office in YC - John Cox and Susie Blomfield.  Both are University Placement Counselors.

How interesting!  

The result looks g ...

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-12 22:49

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-12 23:01

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-12 23:08

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-12 23:21

作者: ShatinIvy    時間: 09-7-13 23:52

But how about the result of IGCSE.
YC also got quite good result vs other ISs, such as CIS, (dream schools for most IS parent....... including me)

Undoubtedly, ESF got 5 awards in IGCSE. But compared to GSIS, less students but more awards........

Don't forget how many students they have. Like this time, ESF had over 800students attended the IB exam, and YC only had 48.

So, I really don't understand why many people gave bad comments on YC, and good comment on CIS or SIS....... How do they get that comments? How to judge which is better???

**************************************劍橋大學國際考試部 (University of Cambridge International Examinations,簡稱CIE) 在今天於香港富豪酒店舉行「香港煇煌計劃」 (Brilliance in Hong Kong) 嘉許禮,表揚在今年IGCSE國際考試中勇奪頂尖成績的香港考生。CIE商業發展助理總監Stephen Stocker、CIE中國項目主任陳新文與香港考試及評核局副秘書長張永明博士,將向優異考生頒發獎狀及獎品。

劍橋煇煌計劃表揚在今年六月舉行的劍橋IGCSE考試中金榜題名的香港考生,他們的成績不止冠絕香港,部份更達全球最頂尖的水平。他們將獲頒獎品以茲嘉許。

Stephen Stocker表示:「CIE祝賀成績驕人的香港考生。劍橋所確認的資歷獲全球公認為重要的學業成就,所以我們欣見香港學生所取得的超卓成績。」

所有得獎者均會獲發證書。而在四科IGCSE科目中均取得頂尖成績的頭三名考生,更將分別獲頒價值一百五十英磅、一百英磅及五十英磅的獎學金。

是屆IGCSE傑出香港考生名單如下:

四科IGCSE科目中均取得頂尖成績的頭三名考生

考生 就讀學校 / 評核中心
第一名 Emmanuel Marie-Jean 德瑞國際學校
第二名  Man Hon So 德瑞國際學校
第三名 Guillaume Lau 德瑞國際學校

在個別IGCSE科目中取得全球最佳成績
考生 科目 就讀學校 / 評核中心
Connie Hong Ni Leung綜合科學 (雙重獎) 英基沙田中學
Fiona Louise Murray英國文學    港島中學
Priscilla Ka Yee Poon數學  德瑞國際學校

在個別IGCSE科目中取得全港最佳成績
考生 科目 就讀學校 / 評核中心
Sing Hoi Lam 附加數學  香港考試及評核局
Hon Yee Lai  生物 德瑞國際學校
Felix Chan  化學 德瑞國際學校
Yung Tsz Chuen Janes 設計及工藝 耀中國際學校
Eugene Yik Hei Lui 經濟 南島中學
Wing Kiu Jennifer Leong 英文 (第二語言) 香港考試及評核局
Tam Ming Chak Dragon 中文 (母語) 耀中國際學校
Cheung Ka Hang Julie 中文 (母語) 耀中國際學校
Ushashi Dasgupta英文 (母語)英皇喬治五世學校
Lucien Cheung法文 (外語) 法國國際學校
Leung Hiu Chun中文 (外語)韓國國際學校
Tony Young地理法國國際學校
Emmanuel Marie-Jean Chao歷史德瑞國際學校
Angela K Chen  音樂  英皇喬治五世學校
Man Hon So 物理 德瑞國際學校

[ 本帖最後由 ShatinIvy 於 09-7-13 23:59 編輯 ]
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-14 01:14

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-14 01:30

作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-14 10:39

原帖由 ShatinIvy 於 09-7-13 23:52 發表
But how about the result of IGCSE.
YC also got quite good result vs other ISs, such as CIS, (dream schools for most IS parent....... including me)

Undoubtedly, ESF got 5 awards in IGCSE. But compar ...

I also want to point out that ESF has the most graduating students this year. A paper quoted 800.
Wow, I would say this is probably more the the total of ALL OTHER international schools!

But yet, the result does not seem to be better than any ONE of the other international schools.

ESF seem to be also the most dreamed of school of all parents. Parents are proud of their kids getting a place in the school.

I am not surprised because the number of applicants is just enormous. Totally understandable because it is the cheapest school. And any middle class or even sub-middle class parents can easily afford the fees.

Other than the huge number of applicants, I just cannot see the edge of ESF. They have the most graduating students, yet their results is not even nearly comparable to Yew Chung, which has been commented to be one of the "not good" schools?

It is easy to simply put a word here to say ABC School is "good" or XYZ School  is "bad". But the figures is just telling us something else. There is just no solid figures telling us how "good" ESF is, other than parents blowing up the whole thing everywhere. On the other hand, Yew Chung does not seem to be as bad (I must admit I never liked Yew Chung too anyway). At least they have so few graduating students and yet the results are worth mentioning.

Is ESF really THAT good? Or it is just that the ESF parents are part of the whole propaganda too?

I know there are lots of ESF parents here. May be they can shed some light on this?
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-14 10:41

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-14 01:30 發表
I have just come across this piece of news which said "耀中國際學校也有四十八名學生應考IB,該校中學部外籍校長馬德賢(Iyad Matuk)表示,該校有九名學生考獲四十分或以上成績,一人獲劍橋大學取錄,亦有獲倫敦政經學院、 ...

Thanks.

Anyone want to share how impressive ESF is this year?

Do not forget that ESF has 800 students. We are talking about almost 20 times more than Yew Chung!

So are we expecting at least 20 students going to Cambridge, 20 going to Berkley, 20 to Stanford etc?

[ 本帖最後由 Cara2006 於 09-7-14 10:43 編輯 ]
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-14 12:19

作者: oooray    時間: 09-7-14 13:50

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-14 12:19 發表
I think most people will agree that a school that turns out students that go to Oxbridge, Ivy League and the like is a good school on condition that it can do so regularly.   However, whether such a s ...

100% agree with you.
Good schools attract good students and good students provide strong evidences (good pubilc exam. result and how many go to top U).
It is always a riddle that "egg or chick, which one is first?"
For parents (like me) who are not thinking of our children to be the best of the best, average performance (or value-added) of a school will be much more important.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-14 20:53

作者: chingyu    時間: 09-7-14 22:56

The total number of students in Year 12 is around 50.

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-14 20:53 發表
Here is RC's result:-

http://www.renaissance.edu.hk/pr ... 47221255#1247221255

Does anybody know how many students took the IB?

作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-7-15 18:35     標題: 回覆 2# thankful 的文章

first batch IB for RC, really not bad at all, better copy here:

Congratulations to our first IB graduates on their stellar performance in the May examination session.

The RCHK 2009 graduating class was our first cohort to complete the IB examinations and they have performed admirably with many achieving results beyond our high expectations. Our average Diploma score of 32 is simply outstanding. The world average in 2008-09 is 29.

Over 25% of the cohort scored over 35 points. Three scholars scoring 40 and above.

Distinguishing RCHK is that 54% of our Diploma candidates achieved the highly acclaimed Bilingual Diploma.

Beyond scores, wonderful university entrance statistics and the academic accolades is the true meaning and gift of an IB curriculum and a RCHK education. The broad ranging experiences, foundation of service and depth of understanding that our graduates have gained will stand them well as they enter adult life.

My admiration to our graduates, their teachers and counselors and Ms. Carol Larkin their coordinator. My congratulations to our Parents and guardians as they can be immensely proud of their children.

We look forward to reporting more on our students destinations and future achievements.

Mr. Peter Kenny
作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-15 21:34

Personally I also like RC but this first batch of students - they were not completely trained by RC, were they?  They were just recruited from other schools.  Do correct me if I am wrong.
作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-7-15 21:45     標題: 回覆 1# Mighty 的文章

yes, these students may be be all from pheonix.

but still it is an outstanding result. i heard that IB is difficult, so it does gives me a surprise.
作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-7-15 22:06

RC 今年嘅 IB 成績算差喎 if compare with other international school.  希望佢哋可从一年比一年好啦! My girl 會今年入RC 嘅 P1.  我對佢哋有期望. 見佢哋收生都收得好認真.
作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-16 09:12

Hi Mattsmum, tks for the info.  So the credits shld be mainly given to the students (^-^) and not the school....
作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-7-16 09:38     標題: 回覆 1# Mighty 的文章

no, no, no, the school definately takes the credit too.
作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-7-16 19:55     標題: 回覆 1# mattsmum 的文章

"Our average Diploma score of 32 is simply outstanding. The world average in 2008-09 is 29.
Over 25% of the cohort scored over 35 points. Three scholars scoring 40 and above.

Distinguishing RCHK is that 54% of our Diploma candidates achieved the highly acclaimed Bilingual Diploma. "

from Univeristy of London's prospectus:

UCL medicine -38
Arts - general 34-35,
Imperial college general 36 -38.
Imperial college -law 38

so RC are at least elligible to arts general?
is there a university allocation list for RC students?
作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-7-16 23:45

As I know, CU - Law also 38.
作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:14

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:17

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:34

作者: chingyu    時間: 09-7-17 00:40

Hi Annie123,

I collected figures from the year book in front of me. :)

原帖由 Annie123 於 09-7-17 00:14 發表

According to last year (07-08) year book, there were may be fewer than 40 for Year 12. So for this year (08-09), there should be roughly the same number. I do not have the year book with me, may be  ...

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:49

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:54

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-17 00:58

作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-7-17 13:54     標題: 回覆 1# Annie123 的文章

yes, it might just be the minimum entrance requirement,

so an average child would not be in UCL but still be in the next tier.

think about this:
1. this is their first year in IBDP,
2. these children might not " fight" all the way up to like those who need to fight to get into a band one secondary, yet they still have a good result.

so it is an achievement both for RC and for these children.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-17 16:36

作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-18 10:25

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-17 16:36 發表
Could it be that the difference is due largely to the fact that it is RC's IB as you said?  If it is, what are the main difficulties?  Can any parents of RC graduates share their experience?

Trying to figure out why RC is not good compared to YC is meaningless. RC is such a new school and I never expect them to have good results anyway. I am totally not surprised they do not have impressive results.

I would rather see how people compare YC and ESF as a whole group.
There are so much positive comments on ESF and yet so much negative comments on YC.
All comments are based on "hear-say" and the goods of ESF and bads of YC seems to be rolling and rolling into bigger snow balls.
If we trust or listen to all these comments, we sure would say ESF must be so much better than YC. But yet, ESF do not seem to have good IB results. In fact, with 800 students and numerous schools, I would say the results are in fact worst amongst all international schools. On the other hand, YC does not seem to have results as bad as expected (considering the negative/poor comments). In fact, they seem to have one of the most impressive overall results.

I would like fair comments on this instead. If you are die-hard fans or parents of ESF with no solid figures or proofs, you should do more research and come back.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-18 12:16

作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-18 13:07

Thankful, I am so glad that you pointed this out.  As you are not an ESF parent, so I guess your point of view shld be impartial towards ESF matters.  I am also wondering what ESF had done to Cara in the past, making her hating ESF so much.  In fact, ESF is a group of schools and should not be regarded as 'one' school.  In another thread, she is saying ESF is the worst amongst all international schools.  May be ESF schools are not very good but definitely cant be the worst.  I had 2 daughters graduated from Island school and one went to University of Wales and one is studying in Cambridge.  My yougest daughter is now in its primary.  I would say the school is OK.  If you are lucky, you meet good and caring teachers.  ESF is definitely not the best but cant be the worst one either.   To be fair, I've never seen parents boasting ESF schools being the best so dont know why Cara has to rate it down so much.  Most of the threads about ESF schools are about its primary admission.  They are comparatively cheaper than other international schools and allowances are granted to civil servants too.  So of course, its admission wont be easy but that doesnt mean it is the best school.  Never!!
作者: Annie123    時間: 09-7-18 17:46

作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-19 13:09

I am certainly not surprised this topic has now branched into a discussion (or argument) whether ESF is good. ESF is a large group, and certainly it is a huge "target".

I agree that we need more data to fairly compare YC with ESF. However, if this year YC has such impressive results, I would like to know how they did it. Are there ways that other schools can learn from them, in order to "push" the results to a much higher level?

In the past, YC have never been good with IBD results and YC have never been good with university placements. However, it would appears that the results this year is so much better now. How did they do it?
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-19 15:25

After all these, people are still unwilling to accept the simple fact: Yew Chung is better than ESF in the IBD scores.
Whatever Yew Chung has done, they have achieve very good results. At least, better than many other schools, including ESF.
May be we can look at the problem another way.
Why do people still think ESF is good, when in fact Yew Chung alone has better IB results.
And in fact, it is clear that ESF has the worst results.
What still make ESF popular?
Is it only that they are cheapest? And the easiest to get a place (because they are the biggest group that accept MOST students)? And that they are the nosiest? Since they are the biggest group, they have the most parents/families, and therefore they are always the nosiest or they always have the most allies.
I just think these ESF parents are themselves too blind to facts.
You do not have to judge my intention. The most important thing is that ESF is NOT GOOD with their results, yet no ESF parents is willing to admit this.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-19 17:30

作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-19 20:01

Thankful, I think Cara's child/children is/are with local schools.  While the title 「入耀中係咪死硬」sounds a bit OTT to me, it is meaningless to compare Yew Chung and ESF.  It is an apple and a pear theory.  I wont be surprised at all if Shatin College does not have a good IB results, coz I dont expect it to be an elite school among IS.  But yet, I dont think ESF schools are so bad as Cara has been saying it.  If she wants to think that way, then let us leave her alone.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-19 20:46

作者: WYmom    時間: 09-7-20 05:46

原帖由 Cara2006 於 09-7-19 15:25 發表
After all these, people are still unwilling to accept the simple fact: Yew Chung is better than ESF in the IBD scores.

How is Yew Chung better?  What is the average IB scores of Yew Chung?  What is the average IB scores of SC or KGV?  Have you provided any exact data?  

In a few years ago, I asked Yew Chung for the average IB scores and they told me that it was 28.  So how good is Yew Chung's average IB score this year?

SC's IB average is around 34-35 in the past years, Lee Po Chung's average is around 36.

If you have strong supporting data for your attack, why not state it clearly?

For so many years, you keep on attacking ESF schools and parents without any reasonable grounds, evidence,data or sound personal experiences.  You attack ESF schools in all topics, no matter related or not.  All your claims are empty words.  If you hate ESF so much and spend so much time to badmouth the schools in all topics for so many years, why don't you write to the press or simply write to the CEO of ESF to attack or complain them?  

If your kids are doing so well in their whatever schools, why do you still bother so much about ESF schools which you have no experience with?
Or, they are in fact studying miserably in schools even worse than the "worst" IS you always claim to be?
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-20 09:30

原帖由 WYmom 於 09-7-20 05:46 發表

In a few years ago, I asked Yew Chung for the average IB scores and they told me that it was 28.  So how good is Yew Chung's average IB score this year?

SC's IB average is around 34-35 in the past years, Lee Po Chung's average is around 36.

I am glad WYmom quoted some of the average scores for reference.

I am interested in knowing the average scores for YC too. The newpaper articles have quoted partial scores of the students of YC. But how about the average?

There are a couple of other things I would like to raise.

May be some parents are not aware yet, but there are students that are NOT getting an IB diploma but instead an IB certificate. Usually, students that are "not suitable" to take the diploma program would be advised or suggested to take a certificate program, which is much less demanding than a diploma program. For more information, visit the IBO website. The main difference would be that there are fewer restrictions on selecting the courses for a certificate program.

Also, even if two persons are both IB diploma students, two person having the same score may not mean they have same qualifications for top tier universities. For example, Higher Level Math and Math Studies are totally different levels of Math. Getting a 6 for the former would definitely mean more than getting a 7 for the latter.

So, we would always also look at the university placement results as reference too.

I do not have the actual data for past years. And it is probably still early to know where all the graduates would go eventually. May be we will have more accurate data after everyone settles down in September.
作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-24 11:20

So funny. People are discussing Yiu Chung. I do not understand why ESF parents are so keen on comparing their schools to other schools. What does ESF results has to do with Yiu Chung?
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-24 12:27

作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-24 13:01

So any conclusion from you?
YC has better IB scores than ESF.
Can we say YC is better than ESF?
If not, please explain.
I think a lot of parents want to have some conclusive comments.

[ 本帖最後由 Cara2006 於 09-7-24 13:02 編輯 ]
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-24 14:43

作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-24 17:27

Ha ha. I see.
There are people that avoid infavourable discussions;
and always endlessly coming back to things they want people to believe.
Good.
ESF is the best!
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-24 18:26

作者: Cara2006    時間: 09-7-25 09:55

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-24 18:26 發表
Cara2006

Ha ha, I am glad to hear that you feel happier now.  You should have looked into the mirror earlier.  Then you would have known who keeps on avoiding unfavourable discussions all along.  By  ...

Love to see you write.
You yourself have once been very hostile and unfriendly when talking about ESF and have many times argued with ESF parents.
I have been wondering what changed you.
作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-25 11:25

作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-25 22:26

I dont really exactly follow Thankful's replies but I havent seen any of his hostility towards ESF.  On the other hand, Cara is always attacking ESF without any reasoning.  Basically just bad mouthing.  I really think Cara got rejected once or twice when she thought she shld be able to get her child in.  Or, just or, she worked for ESF before and got fired?  Either case, parents who like ESF will try their best to get their children in.  Those who dont like ESF will not even take a look at threads related to ESF.  Sorry Cara, all your 'efforts' wl be wasted.

[ 本帖最後由 Mighty 於 09-7-25 17:30 編輯 ]
作者: class3c    時間: 09-7-27 16:43

真係咁差咩??

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5