教育王國

標題: 應否選擇國際學校?(唔該俾D意見) [打印本頁]

作者: foreverbb    時間: 09-6-20 17:42     標題: 應否選擇國際學校?(唔該俾D意見)

我家孩子將入讀國際學校,但家人反對(老公是支持的),感到有點無奈......

他們反對的原因是國際學校的學生大放縱,擔心他長大後會出現種種行為問題(包括吸毒),這點我也有擔心,就算是吸煙也不能接受,但近日的吸毒事件,全是來自傳統學校,究竟讀國際學校會否增加行為問題的機會?

我為孩子選擇國際學校,是因為不想他"死讀書",要靠背誦才能取得好成績,一來他讀書絕對不會專心,記憶力又差,二來在國際學校反而能配合他的長處,包括外向及做事喜歡親力親為.

我認為國際學生絕對適合他,只是擔心他的行為問題,有沒有媽咪能分享這類的經驗?

(P.S. 我絕對無意貶低國際學校的學生,我知道傳統學生也有壞學生,只是想知道我如何可以避免以上的情況發生,或者有沒有例子可以分享,謝謝!)

[ 本帖最後由 foreverbb 於 09-6-21 08:41 編輯 ]
作者: Ramama    時間: 09-6-22 12:49

原帖由 foreverbb 於 09-6-20 17:42 發表

他們反對的原因是國際學校的學生大放縱,擔心他長大後會出現種種行為問題(包括吸毒),這點我也有擔心,就算是吸煙也不能接受,但近日的吸毒事件, ...

I share the worries of foreverbb as my son is going to a international school soon.

I believe family is the first frontier of the value system. People just can't put the blame on the school and the society. If parents just don't care about teaching the right values to the children, trying to know whom they make friends with, or understand the motive of the children's acts, how can you expect the kid to stay on the right path?

We are now forgetting kids are just kids, they are not born with a pre-set mind about what's right and wrong. They need guidance from parents, family and teachers.

Agree that local school system is still having a stronger sense of morality (who is "good", who is "naughty"), however that doesn't mean those who are in local schools are safe just like in a castle.

Turn a blind eye on reality (sex, drugs, greed to money, selfishness) is not the solution, the recent news proved that the reality haunts much quicker than you think.
作者: oooray    時間: 09-6-22 13:49

Foreverbb,
If you do believe your relatives' objections , stop and think twice.
However, if you think something is good for your kid, experience it yourself and then persuade those relatives who had objections. Ignore those unwilling to listen your explanations.
Of course, if the result is not satifactory, think about going back to local system.
(BTW, who pay the tuition fee? Aunties or Uncles?
On-lookers will be digging any reasons and keeping saying something no matter what the result will be. Who care?)
As Ramama said, family/parents are responsible to the value system. Don't leave it to the school (neither local school nor IS school). Of course, not your "Talk Only" relatives.
作者: popolung    時間: 09-6-22 15:43

there is nothing you can get hold from both sides of the world at one time. For disclipine, I think don't let the school handle it, no matter local or IS. Handle it by yourselves, easiest way (but actually not easy unless you can really do it for long time) is please talk more to your kid, make them as you friends, not son or daughter. Then they will tell you more and you will know what happen. Drug and smoking problem happened in all schools, not only IS. Only you can save your own kid, teach them what is right or wrong. Without a good family, any kid in a good school may still become a naughty kid somehow, so DIY!
作者: 623761    時間: 09-6-22 17:02     標題: reply

I think the most important point is that being the parents, you should have confidence to guide your child in a right way.
Don't be afraid of making any decisions when facing problems about your child.
Try to communicate with your family well. They are all your supporters.
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-6-22 17:38

Come on, do u know how many kids smoking from local school? Not much different from ISs. I was from famous local school and went to Australia after F.4. when I was in HK High school, I together with many friends swear, bet, smoke....you name it, we did it. But we still all completed our tert studies and some of us are doctors and professionals. Just bear in mind we really can't do much except treating our childs as friends. I hate to talk about the difference between ISs and local school. They are all same to me.
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-22 17:40

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: Ramama    時間: 09-6-22 18:45

原帖由 623761 於 09-6-22 17:02 發表
I think the most important point is that being the parents, you should have confidence to guide your child in a right way.
Don't be afraid of making any decisions when facing problems about your child ...

Couldn't agree more. We need to have confidence with ourselves as parents, and also with our children.
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-6-22 19:17

我認識不少國際學校學生,他們的日常表現,我會用敢言而行為不放縱來形容。這群學生,我還認識部份的家長。學生的良好行為,和嚴謹的家教有著密切的關係,而他們的敢言,則總體上來自學校的教育。

另外一些的家長我不大熟識,我對這些學生的第一眼印象的確有點保留,不過,回想我在美國工幹的一段時間,那裏的學生跟這些國際學校學生亦沒有大分別。他們玩得極度投入,而以國際學校的學術要求來說,學習絶不苟且。

當然有一小綴是我不能接受。

以我的個人見解,如果你擔心子女的行為,第一應該認真檢討家教的配合,第二應該考慮自己能否接受外國的那一種模式。

原帖由 foreverbb 於 09-6-20 17:42 發表

他們反對的原因是國際學校的學生大放縱,擔心他長大後會出現種種行為問題(包括吸毒),這點我也有擔心,就算是吸煙也不能接受,但近日的吸毒事件, ...

作者: foreverbb    時間: 09-6-22 19:47

非常多謝你們的回應!

我和老公一向很重視德育,因此我們一定會為此而努力!

現在,我和孩子應要歡喜地迎接國際學校的生活,起碼在未來的日子,我不用被不完的默書,測驗,考試......破壞我們的親子關係!
作者: danielboy    時間: 09-6-22 19:48

foreverb,
Even YOU yourself can clearly list out all the good reasons for sending your kid to an international school.  
So why bother about your relatives' comments.  I have encountered numerous parents commenting on the discipline of IS kids.  Those who hold the view that  IS kids are "放縱" don't even have relatives or close friends who send their children to IS.  Their impression of IS kids are purely hearsay or simply out of their imagination.  I will never hold the school responsible for drug problems.  Family certainly has a greater influence on a child.
作者: oooray    時間: 09-6-22 23:14

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-22 17:40 發表
Both my wife and I came from local schools. My boy had studied in a local school before. I know the local education system very well. However, when I had switched my boy to IS, I noticed the great dif ...

I'm not challenging u, but it is really one of your best,and objective comment i have even seen amongst your speech in this forum.
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-6-23 09:21

Couldn't agree more with wisekid2007.

Studying in IS helps solving problems for working parents like us. But it does not mean that we can rely solely on the school.

In fact, the school would also involve parents in your kids's study from time to time.

My child needs to prepare a "student-led conference" twice every year to tell teh parents what they did at school. The sudden closure of primary schools disrupted the schedule and the school recommended the conference be held at home.

I was impressed by my kid's efforts in putting up the conference after we gave her guidance according to the guidelines prepared by the school. You also locked herself up inside the study to rehearse before letting us in to listen.

I quote this example is to illustrate how a kid was nurtured by IS to be confident and independent in taking up challenges and present his/her ideas clearly.

I have no experience with local school but my kid's playmate has to sit for 4 exams every year!

wisekid2007, pls check pm
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-22 17:40 發表
Both my wife and I came from local schools. My boy had studied in a local school before. I know the local education system very well. However, when I had switched my boy to IS, I noticed the great dif ...

作者: kosiuying    時間: 09-6-23 15:58     標題: OK

OK.THIS IS VERY GOOD.ARE YOU READY.
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-24 11:18

作者: barque    時間: 09-6-24 20:36

Really amazing
作者: sara09    時間: 09-6-25 00:07

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-24 11:18 發表
Maybe I can share some of the typical works that an IS student will come across so that you may have a glimpse on how an IS education looks like.

During the current suspension of classes for kinder a ...

How old is your boy? His work is great.
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-25 09:21

作者: almom    時間: 09-6-25 10:04

wisekid2007,
Just sent you a PM.
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-6-29 12:29

wisekid2007's child is probably one of the brightest one.
I think to consider whether you want to choose international school, the only thing you need to consider is whether you are willing to fit in.
A lot of parents I know complain of this and that (eg. poor chinese, no/few homework). I think parents should understand how international school teach children. Parents should forget what other children are doing in local schools.
I can promise you that if you are with a good international school, your child would be ahead of other children of the same age by the he/she leave primary school.
作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-6-29 23:48

very good work for a p3 student.
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-30 12:32

作者: Yau_Cheung    時間: 09-6-30 13:04

Agree.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-6-29 12:29 發表
I think to consider whether you want to choose international school, the only thing you need to consider is whether you are willing to fit in. ...

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-6-30 14:16

nintendo has certainly scored a point by taking this matter to a broader perspective.  The choice of local vs international highly depends on the child's fitting-in and the availability/level of family support.  

Local school, elite or not, is not a recipe for everyone.  Nor is international school.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-6-29 12:29 發表
I think to consider whether you want to choose international school, the only thing you need to consider is whether you are willing to fit in. ...

作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-30 16:47

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-6-30 16:52

Thanks for supporting me by stating that international school is good for family with sound financial support, which means not for everyone.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 16:47 發表
***Local school, elite or not, is not a recipe for everyone.  Nor is international school.***

I don't think so.

Local school, elite or not, is not a recipe for ANYONE.

International school is a rec ...

[ 本帖最後由 leschelems 於 09-6-30 16:59 編輯 ]
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-30 17:04

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-6-30 17:24

Financial support is also part of family support, right?  You may opt to disgree with my view.  But as long as you do not object to the unaffordability of IS tuition fee to a lot of the families, I'm ok with your disagreeing with my view on this point.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:04 發表
I am not supporting you as your view on IS in your mind is not like that. It can be easily seen from what you have written: Local school, elite or not, is not a recipe for everyone.  Nor is internatio ...

[ 本帖最後由 leschelems 於 09-6-30 17:25 編輯 ]
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-6-30 17:31

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-6-30 17:51

At least we have come to certain convergence on this issue.  Let's cast aside finance then.  

I do not recommend any single school to all people.  I never believe in a one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, I am in favour of the principle of teaching each student in accordance to his/her aptitude.  In reality we certainly can't do that.  So I prefer a variety of curricula available as the second best to this ideal.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:31 發表
I always say that it is regretable that not all the kids in HK can enjoy the style IS education because of the affordability of the family. Therefore, I would never recommend any local schools to anyo ...

作者: thankful    時間: 09-6-30 22:41

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-1 13:50

Doing the opposite may not lead to a good result.

There are US schools and researches report that US students enjoy too many holidays and too little homework.  The former leads to a learning loss up to 2 months per year and the latter leads to a slow literacy and numeracy development.  Their rectification is working on the opposite of HK's opposite to prevent them from developing a reluctance in reading and a lack of habit in learning.

Your description is a succint account of our conventional wisdom towards HK's schooling.  But it highly depends on your "usually".  There are about 60 internationall schools (primary and secondary) in HK.  And there is a comparable number of local schools which emphasize the same amount and level of reading, with a key difference in reading both Chinese and English books.

原帖由 thankful 於 09-6-30 22:41 發表
The kids in the local schools are usually inundated with so much homeworks, tests and exams etc. over the years that they will be reluctant to do any reading after they leave universities.  On the oth ...

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-1 16:06

作者: sccc    時間: 09-7-1 17:26

Hi, Wisekid2007

Your boy's english level is good and creative.

I think the english level of normal P3 students in local schools is far below your boy's level.

However, I would like to request your opinions of following point:

1. There are some very famous local schools like 喇沙, 拔萃, St. Paul..... which are top schools in HK and their english level maybe higher than normal local school. Besides, some local schools also encourage students to read. From your opinion, do you think the level of english of those students in top local school (in terms of reading, writing, and communication) is comparable to those in say your boy's school?

2. When you decide to put your son into international school, I think you also have your preference international schools, eg. GISI, CIS, HKIS which are well-known international schools in HK. What are their weakness / good at? And why you finally decide to let you son joining GSIS.
(I know cis has very good result in IB result )

Thanks
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 09:58

I assure you GSIS English's level is much higher than any local school. All HK local school English standard are very low. Why I say that? They only focus on grammar and limited tex books but not encourging students to read more (e,g, they only ask them to read more but how can the students have time to read more in view of so many homework). How can your English's standard be good if you have limited vocabulary and sentence structures. You can do a test. You pick up a HK standard news paper, you might understand 70-80% under the local new section. If you pick up a sydney morning herald, I don't think you can understand 30% what it said. Therefore, I am talking about the English level here should be referred to international not only Hong Kong.

原帖由 sccc 於 09-7-1 17:26 發表
Hi, Wisekid2007

Your boy's english level is good and creative.

I think the english level of normal P3 students in local schools is far below your boy's level.

However, I would like to request your  ...

作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:08

Hi I am an International School graduate, and I used to study in La Salle Primary School, a prestigious local school.
I am confident to say that Local schools are no where close to be able to compare with International Schools in every single aspect.
I am now studying overseas, and all the students who came from HK local schools have a tendency to stick with each other and only each other. And the reason is that they are not confident in speaking English. Despite their constant mocking of the Mainland Chinese's accent, they do know that they aren't much better and sound like retards when speaking English.
      International Schools also provide students with the resources and freedom figure out what they really wanna do in life. Compared to the Local school students who all look the same (and weird), who all share the identical lifestyle (immense studying + online RPG games), International School students will have the school's support no matter what they would want to do with their lives.
    Think about it: there are tons of students who transfer from Local school to International School, but are there any International school students who transfer to local school? I guess no sane person would ever do that unless their parents have gone bankrupt or smth.
作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:11

BY the way, it is a myth that INternational SChool students get less homework. It is completely the opposite. I used to sleep at 11pm and had to wake up at 3am to finsih up my homework.
As I said, it all depends on the student. You can choose challenging courses if you think that is right or you can do smth else meaningful unless 99.9% of asians.
作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 11:24

作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:36

It is certainly not true that IS students do not know Chinese. AT least our chinese level is certainly better than YOU local kids' english level. And you guys can switch over to International Schools, so why not the other way around?

Because local schools are s-h-i-t.
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-2 11:38

I see you have brought up a broader spectrum comparison.  I guess you are comparing the whole system, right?

Let's put it this way then.  The teaching approach of IS schools orginates from their respective home countries.  If their success is formulaic, it is not possible to have a notorious UK progressive school system and a disatrious US public school system.

Have you thought of the reasons that the IS schools' teaching apporachs are so successful here while back in UK and US the same thing causes troubles?

原帖由 thankful 於 09-7-1 16:06 發表
"Doing the opposite may not lead to a good result"

Right!  Nothing is guaranteed.  Not doing the opposite may not lead to a good result either.  

"There are US schools and researches report that US  ...

[ 本帖最後由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 11:44 編輯 ]
作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:38

Oh Oh Oh and by the way, if you think that my chinese is so bad then why did you reply in Chinese? I wouldn't have understood it according to your point.

Wow... local school students really do got a "BRAIN"...

SNAP
作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 11:41

作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:43

Oh and which part of it is so high class?
作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 11:45

作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-2 11:48

Haha it really is difficult to communicate with Local school kids. I just don't understand what on earth are you talking about. Well but I can't blame you guys. Since all you learn is Maths LOL. freaking nerds
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-2 11:48

It's interesting to know there is another account of the homework loading of international school.  

Is this workload individual or school-specific? Or it applies to all international schools?  

Any comment from other IS parents?

原帖由 BlastedSkull 於 09-7-2 11:11 發表
BY the way, it is a myth that INternational SChool students get less homework. It is completely the opposite. I used to sleep at 11pm and had to wake up at 3am to finsih up my homework.
As I said, it ...

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 11:52

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 12:12

作者: almom    時間: 09-7-2 13:13

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 11:24 發表

緊係無啦, IS 既學生盲字(中文)都唔識多個, 點轉去讀local school呀?

A lot of local secondary schools are teaching French instead of Chinese.
作者: almom    時間: 09-7-2 13:36

原帖由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 11:48 發表
It's interesting to know there is another account of the homework loading of international school.  

Is this workload individual or school-specific? Or it applies to all international schools?  

Any comment from other IS parents?

I would not say there are that much (or that little) homework. All I see is that there are enough work to keep the kids busy. Some homework are (like math exercises) are to be completed in order to enforce what was learn at school. For other subjects/areas (especially for secondary), there are a lot of writings and researches. Also, they are expected to read everyday, and some keen readers might want to read up to a couple of hours everyday.
作者: nintendo    時間: 09-7-2 14:03

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 11:24 發表

緊係無啦, IS 既學生盲字(中文)都唔識多個, 點轉去讀local school呀?
你呢個IS高材生講野都幾有sense 個噃, 原來IS train 出呢既個腦真係唔同d既!

So, you got bored with your own "local school section"?
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-2 14:11

I reckon yours is a fair account.  So for  BlastedSkull 's workload, do you think it's just his individual practice?

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 13:36 發表

I would not say there are that much (or that little) homework. All I see is that there are enough work to keep the kids busy. Some homework are (like math exercises) are to be completed in order to ...

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 14:24

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 14:48

You are flat out man. You are trying to be malevolent provoke here or tryiing to torpedoe us? Come on, get your nose out of our business and go back where you are from. You snob! I won't buge for it. Man, it wouldn't give me five minutes to cosummate my marriage but I spend time here to coax u to wake up. That's what so called "Tit for tat". Oh, I am sorry, I don't think local standard could understand this. Look up in the dictionary, u idoit!

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 14:24 發表

等你唔使買花生都有戲睇嗎!
依, Mug你又got bored with your own "lnternational school section"呀, 就過去”local school section”個邊數dgjs既?

BTW, I don't have any bias against either local ...

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 15:18

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 15:41

Are u babbling your self? What a bozos!

Watch out blabbermouth. You will be plagued by a spate of dreadful strikes.

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:18 發表

咁俾面呀, 呢篇野好多深字wor, 睇怕你都Look up in the dictionary好耐先砌到出呢!

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 15:44

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 15:50

I feel sorry for your un-educated response. I can teach you both chinese and english for free, of course, u have to sXXk my dick.

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:44 發表

等咁耐先等到你回應, 查左好耐dictionary先砌到呢兩句呀?

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 15:52

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 15:54

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 15:54

By the way, i know u are a concubine, i'll bust my butt trying to prove it here. Poor u!

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:44 發表

等咁耐先等到你回應, 查左好耐dictionary先砌到呢兩句呀?

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 15:58

(內容含極度不雅字眼由版主刪除, 請注意發言態度, 多謝合作!)

[ 本帖最後由 edea 於 09-7-15 18:00 編輯 ]
作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 16:02

Elementary instead of plain. Poor u!

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:52 發表

都係要寫番d plain English呢!

所以咪死充啦, 下下要查字典摷d深既字寫回應好辛苦架!

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-2 16:03

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 16:06

Don't smear all the parents here. I only do that to U. If you want to do some reprisal attack, come on. I am all ears and don't get other involved.

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 16:03 發表

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 16:08

yes, i am, u'd better watch ut.

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!呢個原來係色情狂, 專講核突野!

作者: Williamhero2009    時間: 09-7-2 16:16

Why keep your mouth shut? Come on, I still have time to muck around with you.

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!呢個原來係色情狂, 專講核突野!

作者: almom    時間: 09-7-2 17:28

原帖由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 14:11 發表
I reckon yours is a fair account.  So for  BlastedSkull 's workload, do you think it's just his individual practice?

First, each teacher's practice can be different. Some teachers, especially primary teachers, do not believe in homework and would give out very little homework. However, some are keen of assigning daily work for children. So even for the same year level of the same school, may be one class has daily homework and another doesn't.
Then of course, it may also be whether a person is quick in doing his work. My son is fast with his work, while my daugter is slower.
However, I think if BlastedSkull has to stay up that late often, he might want to rethink what problem he has with his work. I would think it is mostly focusing problem (a person may be at the desk but not exactly focused and plays often with pencils, eraser, etc) and time management skills (a person may have miscalculated the time he needs for a piece of work due next week and started working on it too late, etc). It would sound really scary for any high school student to stay up late often for homework.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:38 編輯 ]
作者: foolish.mom    時間: 09-7-2 18:40

My kid is in Middle Year Program of IB now. It seems that projects and assignments are getting to be more and more. Usually he has to spend several hours for an assignment for a subject, sometimes even 10+ hours (search for information, design, write, comments), and there are 9+ subjects. I heard that 1 or 2 years down the road, he must work late at night to finish assignments, especially during peak seasons (i.e. near term end).

One parent commented that kids can spend 10 minutes to finish the assignment, and some may spend 10+ hours. But the grades will be different, of course.

So I believe in what the ex-La Salle boy's comments on his homework load.

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 17:28 發表

First, each teacher's practice can be different. Some teachers, especially primary teachers, do not believe in homework. However, some are keen of assigning daily work for children. So even for the  ...

作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-2 19:01

I really think it is wrong to think that IS students do not have much homework/hometraining.  That may only be true when they are in primary.  But then when they go to higher grades, they do hv to spend time in their work/projects.  Only may be the method in learning is different with that in local education.
作者: almom    時間: 09-7-2 19:37

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-7-2 18:40 發表
So I believe in what the ex-La Salle boy's comments on his homework load.

May be my English is that poor, but I never said I did not believe him.

Just that, I do not think any high school student should have to stay up that late all the time.
Of course there are so many "big" work all the time. I am sure all parents with secondary kids know that. But I have already said that time management is very important.

If there is this piece of work that 10+ hours is required to finish it, I do not think the teacher would ask the students to complete it overnight.

As far as I see, yes, work load can be huge. But with good time management, I do not think any high school kid should have to stay up late. At least not often. And may be one also has to work more efficiently. Say, for example, do not split yourself between work and MSN or Facebook.

I would say that if he cannot overcome or solve this homework problems, he would have even more problems at university. If now he needs to stay up late all the time, what is he going to do in university?

Hope I have made my message clear this time.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:42 編輯 ]
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-2 20:05

I don't sense any distrust from you towards him, either.

In my opinion, no one is in a better position than the students (and teachers) to judge the amount of time for finishing homework, esp if he was once deeply-rooted in local schooling and might have needed a lot of extra time in the transitioning to IS.  

I just see that even among IS parents and student,   certain amount of homework which keeps the students busy is accepted, provided it is to the students own good to do it.

If necessity of heavy workload is situational, at any kind of schooling, we can go back to the teaching approach.  I have actually raised a question to another parent before.  The teaching approach of IS schools originates from their respective home countries.  But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  What are the reasons that make the teaching approach of IS so successful here while back in UK and US this thing causes so much trouble?

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:37 發表

May be my English is that poor, but I never said I did not believe him.

Just that, I do not think any high school student should have to stay up that late all the time.
Of course there are so many  ...

作者: Mighty    時間: 09-7-2 21:06

QUOTE  But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  UNQUOTE

May be the difference is between 'public' and 'private' ?
作者: almom    時間: 09-7-2 21:32

原帖由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 20:05 發表
But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  What are the reasons that make the teaching approach of IS so successful here while back in UK and US this thing causes so much trouble?

The problems are probably complex.
But for one, I would not compare public schools with private schools. IS in Hong Kong are basically self financed and are never really "affordable" to most families.
Money is probably the main issue here.
As far as I know, the US and Canadian public schools are suffering because they lack the funds. Not sure about the UK.
作者: BlastedSkull    時間: 09-7-3 00:37

Haha, finally some sane conversation going on with some sane people.
    Anyways, from my personal experience, the workload you get from IS is totally under your control. It is totally up to the students what kind and how many classes they would like to take (although there certainly is a minimum amount of credits you have to take). For each subject, there are diffeernt levels you can take, no matter what grade you are in, so it's totally the student's choice to how academically challenging the school years would be.
    However, no matter how heavy the workload is, I have to say learning was fun. Although in the final years, there certainly were many nights that I had less than 3 hours of sleep, they were definitely stressful, but deep down I was actually quite satisfied. Learning was fun. For every single topic, there are numerous ways (and sometimes its up to the studens) to how it can be learnt. For example, powerpoint presentations and graphical posters were certainly nice ways to learn. It may sound trivial to you now, but trust me you remember more fromm these kinda work than cramming  huge stack of notes and exams.
    For every year, we also have to choose on a school trip to go to. There were aorund 30 choices each year and about 90% of them were oversea choices. My personal experiences included paddling down the Wanganui River (the one in Lord of the Rings) for a whole week, without any means of contacts with the outside world, to feeding wild dolphins in Australia, to building a house for the people in need in Malaysia. These trips were certainly the most precious and educational highlights of my life so far.
作者: Riesling    時間: 09-7-3 11:00     標題: 回覆 7# wisekid2007 的文章

Hi Wisekid2007,

Can you share with me how do you make sure the written and reading Chinese standard of your boy are not too far different from those of the local students? Why I'm asking is that I like the way of how IS teach but concerned about the Chinese (Mandarin) standard of my kid if she goes to traditional IS without stress on Chinese.

Thx!
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-3 13:31

Mighty mentioned private vs public; almon brought up financing; Blastskull said resouces.  We are converging onto something.

To my knowledge, other than fundraising, tuition fee is the major income of IS, with the exception of ESF which still receives an annaul bulk funding from government.  

Judging from your responses, the money should be well spent, for GSIS and ESF hiring Cambridge graduates as teachers, some even with summa cum laude; for organizing the Blastskull's memorable overseas field trips.

If resources make the difference, then the key success factor of IS in HK is you, parents for your willingness to pay for them.

Nobody commends our local school system.  Funding is meagre;good schools are a minority.  However, when some of the good ones have turned DSS, parents are flocking to them.  These schools get the same praise and support from parents and students just like what I've read here.

The next time, IS parents and DSS parents as a group, when you find your kids are making good progress in academic study, instead of blaming the public school system, you should honor yourselves.

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 21:32 發表

The problems are probably complex.
But for one, I would not compare public schools with private schools. IS in Hong Kong are basically self financed and are never really "affordable" to most famili ...

作者: edea    時間: 09-7-3 15:09

各會員請注意討論時的態度, 如果再有不禮貌或人身攻擊字眼出現, 版主會考慮將之禁言. 請尊重自己, 尊重別人.

多謝合作.

版主
edea
作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-3 15:45

作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-3 15:49

作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-3 16:04

作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-3 16:25

It seems like a chicken and egg problem.  I really can't conclude which is cause and which is  consequence.  But I do hope you feel proud of yourself by being able to source the best-fit schooling and/or private tutoring for your boy.

For the rest, I actually have no objections.  

As some IS parents and student have mentioned, the amount of homework is not their concern provided that it serves the student's own good.   

We are not identical.  Some benefit from competition.  Some don't.  If your kid is competitive enough and you want this way, then go for the competitive school.  If it's not what you want, don't go then.   

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-7-3 15:49 發表
***The next time, IS parents and DSS parents as a group, when you find your kids are making good progress in academic study, instead of blaming the public school system, you should honor yourselves.** ...

[ 本帖最後由 leschelems 於 09-7-3 16:46 編輯 ]
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-3 16:27

Wow.  The development is so fast that I can't find the original posting of sccc.  Can you help?

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-7-3 16:04 發表
Regarding your two questions:

1. I don't think any top elite local schools' level of English (in terms of reading, writing, and communication) is comparable in my boy's school. Of course, there may b ...

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-3 16:43

作者: bakusensei    時間: 09-7-3 17:25

原帖由 Riesling 於 09-7-3 11:00 發表
Hi Wisekid2007,

Can you share with me how do you make sure the written and reading Chinese standard of your boy are not too far different from those of the local students? Why I'm asking is that I li ...

yes, wisekid2007, we would be highly appreciated if you would share how to keep your boy's Chinese standard. :)

My husband is teaching in a so-called "elite" and  "traditional" secondary school with more than 100 years' history. He produces lots of As every year. Even though he has good connection in the so-called local "elite" schools, he still prefers putting our little boy in IS. But I am quite concerned about the Chinese issue and still couldn't think of the solution.

Separately, I would like to seek your advice on the social circle of parents in GSIS. My aunt who hold both the British and the Swiss passport didn't put my two cousins to GSIS but to ESF instead as she was afraid if she could fit in the social circle there. I am not sure about the current situation. My sister who has just given birth to a newborn is quite interested in GSIS. Grateful if you would kindly share with us.

Million thanks in advanced.
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-3 18:09

作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-3 18:34

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-3 18:58

作者: Reximom    時間: 09-7-3 19:09

作者: Wingba    時間: 09-7-3 21:04

Seems like you just want to be a "devil advocate" here instead of sharing your kid's experience.

You may be a bit outdated now as more and more IS in HK are putting more emphasis on Chinese although they still treat it as second language. Some (or all?) ESF schools are already increasing their Chinese lesson from twice a week to one lesson every week.

Increasing the number of lesson is not the panacea. I will not expect my kid's Chinese proficiency be as good as local school kids as they will have Chinese history and literature to supplement Chinese language but I am sure she can read Chinese fiction without difficulties and can also write a piece of Chinese comprehension without much difficulty.

We cannot just rely on the school we have to send her to tutorial class, reading Chinese books with her, asking her to write diary and short stories etc...

If you think IS students cannot achieve a reasonable proficiency in Chinese it is because you do not make an effort to make it happen - you are too lazy.

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-3 19:09 發表

你呢d case我見唔少啦, 小學仲細, 仲會聽你點下攞d中文書睇下既, 到中學開始就唔會聽點, 唔睇中文, d中文程度慢慢退化, 好多IS學生讀上去都係咁, 最後讀完U出呢多數唔識睇, 唔識寫中文. “兼顧中英”, 咪自欺欺人 ...

作者: thankful    時間: 09-7-3 21:52

作者: bakusensei    時間: 09-7-3 23:33

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-7-3 18:34 發表
Firstly, I think we have to tune our mind that once we arrange our kids to study in international schools, it would be very, very difficult and not realistic to expect the Chinese standard (reading an ...

Million thanks for your sharing. :)

Hope u don't mind me asking too much. I am quite nervous though my boy will start his nursery in the coming seminar. As he's still reading the pictures of the book only, even he's holding a Chinese story book, he's still "telling the story" in English. I don't know when I should teach him the Chinese words. Apart from encouraging him to read more Chinese books, what else can I do? When should I teach him to write Chinese words?

I shall convey your sharing to my sister too. Many many thanks :)
作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-4 00:34

作者: wisekid2007    時間: 09-7-4 00:52

作者: mow-mow    時間: 09-7-4 11:45

To me, the straight comparison of the standard of English (or Chinese) of kids from local schools or IS seems totally pointless as you are comparing one's 1st language with the other's 2nd language.
What would be more interesting is to compare the standard of English of the local school kids with the standard of Chinese of the IS kids (both being their 2nd language).
Any thoughts on this anyone?
(P/S we should also being comparing kids from respective top schools - eg GSIS, HKIS with St Paul Coed, DGS, DBS...etc)

[ 本帖最後由 mow-mow 於 09-7-4 12:05 編輯 ]
作者: sccc    時間: 09-7-4 15:55     標題: 回覆 15# wisekid2007 的文章

Dear wisekid2007,

Just want to share only. I don't have much information.

I studied under HK local school upto Form. 3 and then continued my studied in Australia. So I am not quite clear about the educational  system in HK. Which one is good?  As a parent of my 2 year old son, I recently try to research more information about educational resurces provided in HK and try to plan for my kid, if possible. I think many mummy in hK also concern that, especially the new 3-3-4 systems.

I know English is important because many knowledge was expressed in English, say law cases in commonwealth countries, accounting concepts from accounting text books in HK and many companies in HK operates in English( i mean documents / working paper).  However, I also know Chinese is getting more important.  One example is Foreign companies / HK companies want to do buisness with Chinese people in China. Besides, if people want jobs in HK Government, I think chinese is a must.

Because my first language is not English but Cantonese, I would like to find a school with more resources for my baby to learn English so he can have fluent english to communicate with foreigners (investors in world). Besides, I would like my kids able to write or read F.5 level Chinese and able to speak fluent mandarin and cantonese. While HK has many resources for kids to learn Chinese, say my kid can talk in Cantonese with grandma or neighbours, watching cantonese / mandarin TV programmes, reading local chinese newspapers. And even I can try to get chinese resources to teach or encourage him to learn Chinese. Or sme mum will find chinese private tutor for their kids.

So International school is my preference because of above reasons.  Besides I want my son to know the importance of learning through ages rather than just for passing exam.

I know IS provides English as 1st language environment so is a good resource for learning english. Besides the classmates are from different nations so english is the only mean to communicate (so cantonese is not allowed in school). I know the importance of the english environment.

However, what i don't know is that "will the local top elite schools also able to offer so much great resources for students to achieve such a high level of english capacity as foreigners". Or the top students for the elite local schools only achieved what they get based on their own effort / telent / or pushing by schools / or training as a machine of working - working on past papers only  by schools.

However, my aunt who has 1 boy and 1 girl graduated in St. George V and Canada IS respectively suggested me to put my son in local school because of 2 reasons:
1) More pressure in local school so can exert more pressure from working in HK firms in future;
2) Foreigners don't speak cantonese and is reluctant to learn cantonese. The peer effect may cause chinese students in IS to refuse to learn Chinese because they as a kid, think Chinese is less important than English.

All the above points, do you agree with me? Or if you have better suggestions, pease suggest me. I am willing to listen.

Besides, You said CIS and GSIS were also your choices but you prefer GSIS. Could you share your reasons with me and other mums there?

Here I try to make some comparative points between 2 IS school: (if other mum have supplemental points, please share)

For me, I know they both have good academic results to get into great universities in hk and outside HK.

I know GSIS has good displine but no idea of CIS.

I know GSIS provide Chinese when students reach 8, or 9. However, CIS provides dual-language program in Chinese and English for kinder and primary. And mainly english in secondary (but still chinese is compulsory).
As said above, therefore GSIS can put more resources on English but CIS less resources in term of English as compared to GSIS ==> Can I conclude that? (Because time is limit resource in economic term) However, CIS also has good result on English subjects in IB courses.
Just wonder??? any opinion share here?

Besides, I saw many students from photos shown on CIS web-sites are black-hair.  How many percentage are western foreigners in the school (i mean the student population)? If the percentage is low, is it a good environments for learning english?
作者: sccc    時間: 09-7-4 15:59     標題: 回覆 12# bakusensei 的文章

Hi bakusensei,

As you said" your husband is teaching in a so-called "elite" and  "traditional" secondary school with more than 100 years' history. He produces lots of As every year. Even though he has good connection in the so-called local "elite" schools, he still prefers putting our little boy in IS. "
Could your husband share his view there?
作者: leschelems    時間: 09-7-4 17:56

The development has gone really fast.  But I feel happy that sccc are also present.  It saves me time in searching his/her original posting.

Regarding to the non-language subjects, apart from looking at their public exam results, such as IB and GCE,  I really don't know any objective comparisons.  Since wisekid2007's view is counterintuitive to me, IS parents can you please share?

For language, I agree that exams can only partially reflect students ability.  After reading your response and sccc's response, I found one commonality that you two agree IS students are generally leading local students in English proficiency.  Your difference lies in the degree of leading.  The problem we have here is that all of us are mere second language learner of English.  None of us can claim our English-teaching knowledge complete to give a big picture.  Can anyone help bring in any native English teacher to comment on it?  

I also hope Blastskull is still here (the one transferred from La Salle to IS).  Please kindly share your transition, like the age when you left La Salle for IS, and more importantly, how long did it take you to close your gap in English proficiency with your IS classmates?

Following the same rationale, I also welcome Chinese teacher, either native Cantonse or Putonghua, to give us more insight on the relative Chinese proficiency.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-7-3 18:09 發表
In international schools, all Chinese kids also have to 兼顧中英. Many of them have also to learn a third or even a forth language too, e.g. German and/or French GSIS and French in most of other ISs.  ...

[ 本帖最後由 leschelems 於 09-7-4 18:05 編輯 ]
作者: foolish.mom    時間: 09-7-4 22:44

sccc,

Because of the heavy Chinese language content of CIS, pure western foreign students are definitely not the majority. I would say, more than 70% of the students have Chinese origin (pure or mixed).  However, the medium of communication is English, i.e. students use English to communicate among themselves. Some cannot speak Cantonese, and most of them prefer not to speak Cantonese.
作者: almom    時間: 09-7-4 23:52

原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-7-4 11:45 發表
To me, the straight comparison of the standard of English (or Chinese) of kids from local schools or IS seems totally pointless as you are comparing one's 1st language with the other's 2nd language.
What would be more interesting is to compare the standard of English of the local school kids with the standard of Chinese of the IS kids (both being their 2nd language).
Any thoughts on this anyone?
(P/S we should also being comparing kids from respective top schools - eg GSIS, HKIS with St Paul Coed, DGS, DBS...etc)

I think it is not ONLY whether who is better in which ever language. To most local Chinese families that have chosen IS, they did not choose IS ONLY because IS have better English.

IS and local schools are just totally different. Period.

Local schools students are not encouraged to be independent thinkers. They are not encouraged to be adventurous. They are not encouraged to point out the wrongs of their teachers. They are just not encouraged to be themselves. Local schools students are expected to stay within the square they are provided and should not even try to touch the borders. If you get 100 marks/points out of 100 you are good. And that's all you need to be. Don't be less but don't try to be smart and do more than you are expected.

I have seen so many really talented and brilliant minds being wasted because somehow they have to stick to a local school.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-7-4 23:58 編輯 ]

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5