教育王國

標題: IB vs International school [打印本頁]

作者: yypapa    時間: 09-12-8 12:12     標題: IB vs International school

Anyone know the major differences between school running in IB system vs international schools ?   

Is it true that graduates from IB schools can either go to local U or oversea U while graduates from international schools have nearly no chance to enter local U ?

Interesting to see here that a lot of parents did apply both traditional schools and IB schools for their kids.     Basically nobody applied international schools at the time.
作者: Charlotte_mom    時間: 09-12-8 12:37

而家香港好多直資都話自己中學行ib, 但要留意幾樣野
1. 係咪已經有ibo approval, 間間都話申請緊, 幾時批?
2. 直資有拎政府支助, 所以教育局話要以提供本地課程為主, 只會批少部分班級行直資, 大部分班級會行334, o係咁情形下, 會否變成精英制? 而且o係有限資源下(除非學費好貴), 點樣去support 334+ib? 要知ib本身既"maintenance fee"都貴, 請ib老師又貴d, 而且本身課程既靈活性都要顧及, 例如同一個科目應該開幾個程度俾學生自己揀岩自己既程度, o係有限資源下, 做得到嗎?

ib畢業生同is畢業生都可以經non-jupas考本地大學, 無分別 (除非將來制度改, 改到jupas包埋ib考生, 又或者已經無jupas)

原帖由 yypapa 於 09-12-8 12:12 PM 發表
Anyone know the major differences between school running in IB system vs international schools ?   

Is it true that graduates from IB schools can either go to local U or oversea U while graduates fr ...

作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-8 12:58

Not many schools in HK got the official IB World School status at present.  It is normal to take three years for a candidate school to become IBO approved.

For primary schools:
http://www.ibo.org/school/search ... =&find_schools=Find
For Secondary schools (MYP/DP):

[ 本帖最後由 NAJ 於 09-12-8 13:11 編輯 ]
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-8 14:34

From the IB websites, one interesting thing all IB schools in HK are international schools, no local schools at all. But as I know DBS, ST Paul Co-ed, Logos Academy, CKY claimed they have IB diplomer courses in secondary school.

So, have all these secondary schools' IB diplomer courses been approved by IB org. already or there is no need for IB org. to approve that and any schools can have the courses on their own? Is it the case that these local schools only have some preparation courses on their own for prepare students to sit in IB diplomer exam. They are not offically approved preparation course at all.

原帖由 NAJ 於 09-12-8 12:58 發表
Not many schools in HK got the official IB World School status at present.  It is normal to take three years for a candidate school to become IBO approved.

For primary schools:
http://www.ibo.org/sch ...

作者: daisy17772    時間: 09-12-8 14:53

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 14:34 發表
From the IB websites, one interesting thing all IB schools in HK are international schools, no local schools at all. But as I know DBS, ST Paul Co-ed, Logos Academy, CKY claimed they have IB diplomer  ...

Logos said they are expecting to obtain IB Dip this or next year.  Creative is the only local school that obtained MYP.  For those who has been claiming they will eventually target to offer IB dip, e.g. CKY, they are still yet to obtain it, so for those who said they will want to or plan to offer it, e.g. co-ed and DBS, I have drawbacks whether they will eventually do it, i.e. there're still uncertainties.  Doing an IB programme in a local school environment is not as easy as it thought to be, esp. in traditional schools.  The way the lessons taught, the teachers qualifications, the way the students learning things are very much different.  So I have doubts personally.  Even for ISF, they struggled for quite a no. of years for obtaining the certification, there were lots of pain, and unsuccessful result.  So don't expect too much from those local traditional schools.

[ 本帖最後由 daisy17772 於 09-12-8 15:00 編輯 ]
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-8 18:16

Thanks for yoru info. Is there any way to find out the status of IB application of schools?

Do you mean Logos is the one who is closest to obtain the IB status?

原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-8 14:53 發表

Logos said they are expecting to obtain IB Dip this or next year.  Creative is the only local school that obtained MYP.  For those who has been claiming they will eventually target to offer IB dip,  ...

作者: Charlotte_mom    時間: 09-12-8 18:45

對住同時考334又考ib(係同一個學生考2個公開試), 我就真係有保留喇
原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 06:16 PM 發表
Thanks for yoru info. Is there any way to find out the status of IB application of schools?

作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-8 19:38

I thought it is to choose either 334 exam or IB exam. What do you mean taking both exams at the same time?

Where did you see this info?

原帖由 Charlotte_mom 於 09-12-8 18:45 發表
對住同時考334又考ib(係同一個學生考2個公開試), 我就真係有保留喇

作者: WYmom    時間: 09-12-8 20:39

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 19:38 發表
I thought it is to choose either 334 exam or IB exam. What do you mean taking both exams at the same time?

Where did you see this info?

Logos claim so.
作者: daisy17772    時間: 09-12-8 20:52

原帖由 WYmom 於 09-12-8 20:39 發表

Logos claim so.

Probably Logos is the only school in HK that claims to target for her students to attempt both exams. All other HK schools would only target for IB or let their students to choose either 334 or IB dip.
作者: daisy17772    時間: 09-12-8 20:58

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 18:16 發表

I'm unsure if one can obtain the school's status of IB application thru IBO.  Mostly the news come from the school internally.  There're various IB certification, in primary, secondary and diploma.  Logos has been applying only for IB diploma, this applies to CKY as well.  Creative secondary is the first local school in HK obtaining MYP.
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-8 21:05

What is the difference between IB diploma and MYP? Can they both sit in the IB diploma exam.?

原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-8 20:58 發表

I'm unsure if one can obtain the school's status of IB application thru IBO.  Mostly the news come from the school internally.  There're various IB certification, in primary, secondary and diploma.  ...

作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-8 21:30

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 21:05 發表
What is the difference between IB diploma and MYP? Can they both sit in the IB diploma exam.?

MYP = Middle Years Program,  a bit similar to F.1-F.5
Diploma is similar to F.6-F.7

If you study all the way in IB schools, you will go thru PYP -> MYP -> DP, then University after the diploma exam/assessment.
作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-8 21:37

原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-8 20:52 發表
Probably Logos is the only school in HK that claims to target for her students to attempt both exams. All other HK schools would only target for IB or let their students to choose either 334 or IB d ...

Logos is targeting to integrate NSS with IB DP into a single cirriculum, according to the comprehensive review report:
http://www.logosacademy.edu.hk/LA_chinese/News/CR%20Report%20_Secondary.pdf

If this ambitious goal is successful, then the students can probably sit for both exams, but the IB DP also requires the student to spend effort to submit an extended essay.
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-8 23:42

http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?nextStart=1

Just found even ESF schools, like KG V only offers DP stage for IB, not MYP stage. It seems it is good enough for school to get DP stage aprroved by IB org.
作者: daisy17772    時間: 09-12-8 23:58

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-8 23:42 發表
http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?nextStart=1

Just found even ESF schools, like KG V only offers DP stage for IB, not MYP stage. It seems it is good enough for school to get DP stage aprrove ...

That is because the cost for getting IB certified all the way from PYP, MYP to DP is substantial.  So some schools like CKY  they only target for Dip.
作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-9 09:00

原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-8 23:58 發表
That is because the cost for getting IB certified all the way from PYP, MYP to DP is substantial.  So some schools like CKY  they only target for Dip.

Agreed.  IB is a costly program to run, though it also offer a quality education experience if implemented properly.

If you look at the number of years:
- PYP (exclude kindergarten) = 6 years
- MYP = 5 years (Creative has shortened it to 4)
- DP = 2 years

Getting DP certified is relatively easier and it involves much lesser cost to a put a school on the IBO radar.

I tend to believe the value of running IB is to offer the students a quality development experience, e.g. a whole-year personal project during MYP.  Just hope all these DP-only schools already have nice cirriculum frameworks before DP, or in the process of being MYP certified.

[ 本帖最後由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 09:26 編輯 ]
作者: fatgoat    時間: 09-12-9 10:44

Deleted by User.

[ 本帖最後由 fatgoat 於 09-12-9 10:54 編輯 ]
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-9 11:04

In other words, I think it is easier for those new schools than traditional famous schools if they just get DP, not MYP because tradtional schools has been running for many years with traditional teachers and traditional teaching methods for HKCEE.

原帖由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 09:00 發表

Agreed.  IB is a costly program to run, though it also offer a quality education experience if implemented properly.

If you look at the number of years:
- PYP (exclude kindergarten) = 6 years
- MYP ...

作者: Radiomama    時間: 09-12-9 12:02

曾有家長在另一欄介紹一篇文章,可供參考。
(Article regarding IB on SCMP on Sept 7 2009)

在英國有些高校會辦IB diploma課程,賽果(入大學情況)未必如家長及學生所料。

香港有些國際學校辦IB,但不一定辦得好,local school的情況亦然。

要辦得好,需要時間讓老師熟習課程教授(曾見過有些老師是一舊雲,也有一些滿有點子),也取決於入讀的學生是否適應(文理並重、動靜均能、還要有領導才能去參與社會服務),最後是家長的投入,特別是在PYP階段要帶領孩子落實home learning(浩如煙海、沒有課本,那即是萬事萬物皆為課本!)

所以,老師、學生和家長也要調整心態,其實IB Diploma比A level 還要難!

以上純是個人之談!
作者: daisy17772    時間: 09-12-9 12:21

原帖由 Radiomama 於 09-12-9 12:02 發表
曾有家長在另一欄介紹一篇文章,可供參考。

香港有些國際學校辦IB,但不一定辦得好,local sc ...

Agreed.  I believe some students will perform better in A level exams.  Getting a high grade in A level will still enable the student to go for top Uni in the UK and HK.  IB has a very broad curriculum.
作者: gingerale    時間: 09-12-9 12:55

其實很多家長都搞不清甚麼是IB﹐只知不是傳統教學﹐又有D似活動教學﹐學費又比較高。  看起來﹐IB的理念和NSS的通識科差不多﹐都是著重批判思考﹐也沒有課本﹐大家有沒有看上週的新聞透視﹖  
一科通識﹐都搞到教局和所有中學頭都大﹐辦IB的學校﹐他們的資源和師資又從那裡來﹖  我想新學校的高學費是用來讓他們作課程發展﹐頭十年八年的學生就是他們做實驗的小老鼠。  他們請的老師﹐本地的從來都沒有IB的經驗(讀都未讀過)﹐本地的大學又沒有IB教學訓練課程﹐他們真的會教得好嗎﹖  外國請回來的人工一定比本地的高(就是大家給的學費)﹐但是不一定好﹐香港本身的條件不是很能吸引﹐居住是一個很大的問題﹐我想沒有學校可以提供像大學那樣的HOUSING BENEFIT吧﹖  如果有的話﹐我真的很懷疑學費中有多少是真正用在教學上呢。  

原帖由 Radiomama 於 09-12-9 12:02 發表
曾有家長在另一欄介紹一篇文章,可供參考。

香港有些國際學校辦IB,但不一定辦得好,local sc ...

[ 本帖最後由 gingerale 於 09-12-9 12:58 編輯 ]
作者: cstchan    時間: 09-12-9 13:23

要得到ibo承認的課程,要經過重重關卡,而且都要用錢,所以很多學校只會辦ibdp。

如果想明年九月開辦ibdp,今年才正式申請,之前只能申請為candidate school(http://www.ibo.org/diploma/become/),所以在ibo找到的學校,都是已經開辦ib課程的學校。即使dbs今年中四部份學生不行nss課程,但因為要待中五中六才能開始ibdp,所以dbs的名字也不在ib world school內。

國際學校的課程不是本地課程,可以是其他國家的課程。但因為ib課程不受地區影響(http://www.ibo.org/history/),可以銜接任何地區大學的課程,所以香港的國際學校漸漸改行ib課程。
作者: mattsmum    時間: 09-12-9 13:23

這問題沒有觸及核心,

很難找到一所國際學校最後幾年是不行國際文憑課程的,英基改了行國際文憑課程IBDP,FIS, CIS, YC行了多年, GSIS討論一大輪也行了,很難找行A level 課程的國際學校

也很難找到local school 行國際文憑課程的, 好像至今只有vsa, creative, ISF。

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 09-12-9 13:27 編輯 ]
作者: Radiomama    時間: 09-12-9 13:30

話得說回來,IB也有課本(但PYP階段主力靠老師),更會有pass papers,哈哈,考試範圍有得溫習!

IB Diploma 讀什麼? 請參考:
"The IB Diploma Programme (IBDP) requires students to study across a range of subjects. Students must study one subject from each of the following groups.
Group 1: Language A1
Group 2: Language A2, Language B, or Ab initio Language
Group 3: Individuals + Societies (Humanities)
Group 4: Sciences
Group 5: Mathematics
Group 6: Arts and Electives
(An elective may be a creative subject, a second science or a second humanity)"

IB 機構會提供訓練給相關學校的老師,所以學校不一定需要聘用外援;  但若本地學校以為只是教授範圍的轉變而沒有基礎革新,就容易重蹈英國當地一些高校的覆轍。

BTW,香港一些教育界IB先軀都不停被鄰國招攬,因為他們短短幾年已見成果。

原帖由 gingerale 於 09-12-9 12:55 發表
其實很多家長都搞不清甚麼是IB﹐只知不是傳統教學﹐又有D似活動教學﹐學費又比較高。  看起來﹐IB的理念和NSS的通識科差不多﹐都是著重批判思考﹐也沒有課本﹐大家有沒有看上週的新聞透視﹖  
一科通識﹐都搞到教局和所有中學頭都大﹐辦I ...

作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-9 13:32

原帖由 gingerale 於 09-12-9 12:55 發表
一科通識﹐都搞到教局和所有中學頭都大﹐辦I ...

Frankly speaking, the DP part of IB is more for connecting/preparing IB-trained students to enter University, that's part of the reasons why there are exams for DP but no exams (just assessment) for the rest.  In fact, during DP study, there is a core subject like an extended version of 通識 called "Theory of Knowledge", which encourages each student to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).  Adding to this is the effort to write an extended essay on one of the subjects studied.  Getting good result in IB DP is obviously no easier than A level.

A school need to have enough qualified IB teachers/admin to get certified, that means it either need to hire (from abroad or limited local pool), or to train its teachers/admin and get them pass the assessment.  A candidate school thus need to spend the time and money to eventually become certified.

Btw, doing IB DP only is a pragmatic way to connect its students to U world-wide, but perhaps the true value of IB lies in the long term training of youngsters to grow-up and mature in a rich and non-spoon-fed environment.

[ 本帖最後由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 15:17 編輯 ]
作者: monkeydog    時間: 09-12-9 17:18

I think to answer A level or IB is easier really depends which kind of students you are talking about. IB must be easier for a student trained under western teaching mode/western countries. HK students are better in A level/HKCEE style is because they were trained under "spoon feed" style. One secret to get good grades in HKCEE/HKAL is to study past papers again and again.  

One thing we need to bear in mind when we choose schools for our kids is we need to look at the trend/market demand for people in next 10-15 years, not now. As many know, governments from China, HK to US, EU all are encouraging more creativity/problem solving for citizens as that is how the country can add value and move forward, not copy and paste.

The key is whether the schools offer IP Dip can insist the IB teaching mode from Primary 1, no matters it is PYP MYP or not.  

原帖由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 13:32 發表

Frankly speaking, the DP part of IB is more for connecting/preparing IB-trained students to enter University, that's part of the reasons why there are exams for DP but no exams (just assessment) for ...

作者: BB小WIN神    時間: 09-12-9 19:55

本港的IS都以IB為教學方針,不明白樓主的標題想討論什麼?
作者: highfive    時間: 09-12-9 20:01

原帖由 BB小WIN神 於 09-12-9 19:55 發表

IB local schools vs International schools
作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-9 20:12

原帖由 monkeydog 於 09-12-9 17:18 發表
I think to answer A level or IB is easier really depends which kind of students you are talking about. IB must be easier for a student trained under western teaching mode/western countries. HK student ...

Just for sharing, I had a couple opportunities to visit some IB PYP schools as potential student's parent.  Not all IB schools are created equal, just like traditional schools, some are more outstanding, but out of the considerable cost to operate the program, at least some common standards set by IBO are observed.

The better ones that I had chance to visit, the students are in general quite well-disciplined but eager to express.  They started to do unit works via Google search and deliver regular presentations in front of unfamiliar peoples from early years of PYP.  They did not excel at dictation and probably are not good at exam techniques yet, but seems to have better teamwork and planning ability.  The PYP also requires quite intensive involvement by parents, at least for earlier years.
作者: BB小WIN神    時間: 09-12-9 20:33

咁就想請問下有無BK的會員有兩個或以上的小朋友是分別在IB local schools 及International schools就讀過或中正就讀,他們的意見會比較中肯,否則很難比較!
別外,IB local schools 到目前為止仍沒有往績可尋,如何比較呢?
作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-9 20:37

本港的IS都以IB為教學方針

Not 100% true, most IS use IB-DP to connect their students to U worldwide, but many of them are using their country's education framework to teach primary/secondary years, e.g. SIS is using the Singapore framework, not even DP.

[ 本帖最後由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 20:39 編輯 ]
作者: NAJ    時間: 09-12-9 20:49

原帖由 BB小WIN神 於 09-12-9 20:33 發表
咁就想請問下有無BK的會員有兩個或以上的小朋友是分別在IB local schools 及International schools就讀過或中正就讀,他們的意見會比較中肯,否則很難比較!
別外,IB local schools 到目前為止仍沒有往績可尋,如何比 ...

So few local IB school now, Creative and ISF just got IBO-approval this year, and both ISF and VSA runs more like international school.

I think a better comparison is to contrast IB IS and non-IB IS, especially pre-DP years.

[ 本帖最後由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 20:53 編輯 ]
作者: hoboy    時間: 09-12-9 23:03

原帖由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 20:12 發表

Btw, doing IB DP only is a pragmatic way to connect its students to U world-wide, but perhaps the true value of IB lies in the long term training of youngsters to grow-up and mature in a rich and non-spoon-fed environment.

The better ones that I had chance to visit, the students are in general quite well-disciplined but eager to express.  They started to do unit works via Google search and deliver regular presentations in front of unfamiliar peoples from early years of PYP.  They did not excel at dictation and probably are not good at exam techniques yet, but seems to have better teamwork and planning ability.  The PYP also requires quite intensive involvement by parents, at least for earlier years.

Totally agree with you.
作者: hoboy    時間: 09-12-9 23:09

原帖由 NAJ 於 09-12-9 20:49 發表

So few local IB school now, Creative and ISF just got IBO-approval this year, and both ISF and VSA runs more like international school.

I think a better comparison is to contrast IB IS and non-IB I ...

PYP of VSA is based on local school curriculum. Local Chinese and Maths text books are used. There are dictations and quiz. But for teaching method, it's more like international school
作者: avena_ay    時間: 10-3-25 17:45     標題: IB School + 獎學金

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-28 22:36

原帖由 cstchan 於 09-12-9 13:23 發表
要得到ibo承認的課程,要經過重重關卡,而且都要用錢,所以很多學校只會辦ibdp。

如果想明年九月開辦ibdp,今年才正式申請,之前只能申請為candidate school(http://www.ibo.org/diploma/become/),所以在ibo找到的學校,都是已經 ...

DBS is listed in the website now.
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-28 22:42

Pls go to IBO website and review how many international schools are IB certified and you may withdraw your above statement.
作者: hsbmama    時間: 10-6-29 12:13

The question I would like to ask, for a long time, is.... why CKY is still not on the IBO list... AND SO MANY PARENTS are paying loads of money ($5XXX/month) to go to an 'IB' programme there???????????????????

really scratch head!!

[ 本帖最後由 hsbmama 於 10-6-29 16:09 編輯 ]
作者: kukukoo    時間: 10-6-29 13:53

Is Logos become IB school already ? I can't find it's name from the website ? Any more comment to it ?
作者: hsbmama    時間: 10-6-29 14:14

if you can't find it.... the answer will be 'NO'!!

you have to think whether it is worth what you are paying for.... whatever that is, it is not an 'IB' programme lor...

原帖由 kukukoo 於 10-6-29 13:53 發表
Is Logos become IB school already ? I can't find it's name from the website ? Any more comment to it ?

作者: BookloverJ    時間: 10-6-29 14:56

作者: hsbmama    時間: 10-6-29 16:06

you know, the thing is... for years, i have heard CKY's been claiming that they have the 'IB' programme even though they are only in the process of applying... ok, i can understand why they would want to say that, but i don't agree that they should 'claim' to have it because they really don't have it... but ok, i understand... .... HOWEVER years have gone by.... and they are still NOT on the list.... then i would think... are they really applying for it or WHAT is their problem...  AND they are charging alot of money ($5000/mth X 11 mths, and even more for grade 6 & up) for something they claim to have BUT don't have... project base or whatever... you can claim 'active learning' sure... but hey, wong kam fai's charging $3500/mth....

sorry, i m not a parent for neither schools... but this is something i personally don't think makes sense... and i haven't figured it out yet... to me, its like paying LV full price for an imitation LV bag, well maybe 10-15% less...

still scratching head!

[ 本帖最後由 hsbmama 於 10-6-29 16:08 編輯 ]
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-30 20:22

My son studies in a local DSS school which provided both NSS & IB curriculum. Our family spent quite some time to evaluate the pros and cons of both curriculum and the admission of Universities and other considerations. I would like to share with you all here, only my personal experience.

Background

The school just offers the bridging course of IBDP this school year and no track record of IBDP and even unauthorised in IBO website (Now, being authorised). The tuition fee will be nearly double for IB stream relative to NSS stream. First year only recuit max 60 students, but only 45 places filled as they only accept the top students and excellent command of English to take IBDP (top 80 out of 240 form ranking).
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-30 20:51

Our concerns:

1. JUPAS vs Non-JUPAS

75% university places for JUPAS and only 25% for non-JUPAS. So the chance seems to be higher for JUPAS. I did some research on LPCUWC and some ESF and IS schools' university admission results in the last few years (Most IS & ESF schools didn't disclose much of their IB results and univeristy admission results, my wild guess their results not impressive.) LPCUWC - 2009 May IB results average 37.16, HK students average 39.29, overseas students average 35.13 and the max will be 45 and passing score is 24. Most ESF and IS's IB average less than 32. LPCUWC IB results with flying colors and 82% students study in HK get into Big 3 in HK and the subjects are impressive like Medicine, Law, Architecture, Business. If my son's IB results coparative to the bright students of LPCUWC, his chance gets into Big 3 for hot subjects may be higher than JUPAS stream.

2. Curriculum

NSS has some changes in the curriculum like introducing Liberal Studies, OLE, M1 & M2 on top of core Maths. But the examination papers standard close to A-level. It's easier for teachers, students and tuition centres as most HKCEE and A-level past papers still valid for them. IB has the curriculum but not very popularly known and sometimes their scope close to 1st year University level, but not in the IB examination. Broad curriculum and not as structural as NSS.

3. Work load

Heavy loading in continuous assessment, many projects, presentation, essay writing, lab work etc. it's very demanding in time management and discipline. Some students even as boarders to save their daily travelling time to meet the deadline. Relative to NSS students, they are still "Hea" and wait for the last year to burn the mid-light oil.

4. Top notch universities

I participated two seminars from Cambridge and Oxford Universities' Admission Officer in HK last October/November. Particularly Cambridge recognised the HKAL, but not for HKDSE. So he recommended students want to study in Cambridge either either study Pre-U schools in Uk or go for IB, 38-41 will have a chance for interview and depends on individual college requirement (I won't elaborate college system here.). As A* in HKDSE not equivalent to A* in GCE AL, HK students' chance to study elite universities in UK will be slim. That's why more students study in UK for high school.

5. HK/USA/UK

My son not make up his mind to study in which regions, IB can be one fits all except some US universities may need SAT or other exam to prove your English proficiency. Pls better check the admission requirementd of individual university.

6. Exam expert v Life time learner

No definitely preference, sometimes excellent exam results are essential for further studying and career advancement. If exam upset your kid to study, you need to rethink. (Too much work load may also upset my son).

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-6-30 20:55 編輯 ]
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-30 20:53

Tactics to achieve IBDP Bridiging Program place in my son's school

1. Excellent command of English

In IBDP, teacher supposes not teaching grammar or basic English, they focus on literature critique. My son not from the primary division of the school, so may not upto the par of their requirement. So we sent him to a very good English class to polish his English writting skills. Not matter he can get in IBDP or not, his English standard improves a lot in this year.

2. Form ranking

My son reviews his handicaps in continuous assessment and examination results of certain subjects. His final ranking not announce yet, but definitely within top 80.

Nearly finish the sharing and discovered that the topic is posted in primary school sub-forum. I hope I am not off the topic.
作者: yypapa    時間: 10-6-30 21:10

ANChan59,

Thank you for all the sharings and information.   Back to some basic questions.........  with Hong Kong switching to 334,  what are some of the key issues affecting the students, going through the IB program, who are targeting local universities ?  Will this also mean that IB program takes an extra year to enter local universities in comparison to students taking the traditional path ?

原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-6-30 20:53 發表
Tactics to achieve IBDP Bridiging Program place in my son's school

1. Excellent command of English

In IBDP, teacher supposes not teaching grammar or basic English, they focus on literature critique. ...

作者: scotia.nova    時間: 10-6-30 23:28

作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-6-30 23:38

原帖由 yypapa 於 10-6-30 21:10 發表
ANChan59,
Thank you for all the sharings and information.   Back to some basic questions.........  with Hong Kong switching to 334,  what are some of the key issues affecting the students, going through the IB program, who are targeting local universities ?  Will this also mean that IB program takes an extra year to enter local universities in comparison to students taking the traditional path ?

1. NSS vs IB refer to "our conerns" like JUPAS, English etc.
2. NSS         IB
    F4            IBDP - Bridging program
    F5            IBDP - 1st year
    F6            IBDP - 2nd year
    4 years university
    Exactly the same 3 years senior high school.

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5