教育王國

標題: SMC and TSL [打印本頁]

作者: hifriend    時間: 10-11-3 16:41     標題: SMC and TSL

Hi, i just spoke to a friend and told her SMC and TSL are my target school.  

She said she won't let her child go to these schools due to the 30% ASEAN students.  She said they are really naughty and don't want her son to copy their behaviours.  

I feel uneasy after talking to her.  I didn't think it matters that the schools have ASEAN kids studying  there because even Chinese can be naughty too.

Can the parents of SMC or TSL comment on the behaviour of the ASEAN students?  Should I worry?

Many thanks.
作者: ssdiana    時間: 10-11-3 17:06

If both accepted by SMC and TSL, which one you will take??

原帖由 hifriend 於 10-11-3 16:41 發表

She said she won't let her child go to these schools due to the 30% ASEAN students.  She said they are really naughty and ...

作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-3 22:16

I would not mind to let my daughter having those Asean friends! They might be more active and out-going but it doesn't mean they must be naughty in my opinion. I always welcome mulit-cultural life. I have friends all over the world so it would be lovely if my daughter have different friends too. :)
HOnestly, even the best schools would have naughty kids!
So, if you think SMC or TSL are suitable for your kid, don't change your mind!

And, would you like SMC or TSL more?
作者: hifriend    時間: 10-11-3 22:37

I like them both.  I like SMC b/c it teaches Chinese in Putonghua starting from Primary 1.  I also like TSL as I can walk to the school in less than 8 minutes.  

Just hoping that I can get an offer with at least one of them.

原帖由 cpcog 於 10-11-3 22:16 發表
I would not mind to let my daughter having those Asean friends! They might be more active and out-going but it doesn't mean they must be naughty in my opinion. I always welcome mulit-cultural life. I  ...

作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-3 23:40

Good luck!
If you live closed to TSL, I think you should choose that. It is good if children can have more time for themselves after school.
Does your kid learn Chinese in Mandarin or Cantonese in kindergarten?

If my daughter is lucky enough, we need to consider choosing SMC or TSL as well.

原帖由 hifriend 於 10-11-3 22:37 發表
I like them both.  I like SMC b/c it teaches Chinese in Putonghua starting from Primary 1.  I also like TSL as I can walk to the school in less than 8 minutes.  

Just hoping that I can get an offer w ...

作者: flostangraphy    時間: 10-11-4 00:09

to be honest, i'm quite happy that your friend with such narrow opinion on the asean pupils  would not be one of the parents of these 2 schools. :)

原帖由 hifriend 於 3/11/2010 16:41 發表

She said she won't let her child go to these schools due to the 30% ASEAN students.  She said they are really naughty and ...

作者: 愚人    時間: 10-11-4 00:40

大家都是學多種語言, 但smc 有中學connected. 繼續學下去. 而tsl 畢左業之後, 之前學左的第4種語言又可否延續至中學, 這個我不太清楚.
作者: hifriend    時間: 10-11-4 08:10

my daughter is now in the mandarin/ english stream of her kindergarten.  that's why i prefer having mandarin starting from primary 1, so she won't forget it.

原帖由 cpcog 於 10-11-3 23:40 發表
Good luck!
If you live closed to TSL, I think you should choose that. It is good if children can have more time for themselves after school.
Does your kid learn Chinese in Mandarin or Cantonese in k ...

作者: kanahose    時間: 10-11-4 08:44

TSL E-C StreamP.6法語程度=E-F Stream P.3程度.唔知道升中學後有那些可以函接到?而SMC聽講升中一後要學生所選修的第三語言考初級公開試,到畢業前再考多次高級的,我想將來畢業後有一定優勢.
作者: bamama    時間: 10-11-4 11:08

在smc, 所有學生在s2也要參加外語的公開試, 確保學生的第四語言有一定的水平.
作者: Laputa    時間: 10-11-4 22:09

原帖由 kanahose 於 10-11-4 08:44 發表
TSL E-C StreamP.6法語程度=E-F Stream P.3程度.唔知道升中學後有那些可以函接到?而SMC聽講升中一後要學生所選修的第三語言考初級公開試,到畢業前再考多次高級的,我想將來畢業後有一定優勢. ...

In SMC, starting from P.3, the foreign language lesson increased to 2-3lessons per week, whereas in TSL, it's still 1 lesson per week.  So this is the main difference between the 2 schools in terms of language study.  my guess is because SMC student doesn't need to submit marks in P.5 and P.6, school has more flexibility to allocate time whereas TSL must push the students to work hard for mark submission and S.1 allocation.
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-4 22:25

I see. Then you should choose SMC while your daughter needn't learn Chinese in Cantonese suddenly for 1 year.

原帖由 hifriend 於 10-11-4 08:10 發表
my daughter is now in the mandarin/ english stream of her kindergarten.  that's why i prefer having mandarin starting from primary 1, so she won't forget it.

作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-4 22:26

Thanks, Laputa. I guess the foreign languages in SMC should be stronger. Somehow I feel the English standard would be higher as well.

原帖由 Laputa 於 10-11-4 22:09 發表

In SMC, starting from P.3, the foreign language lesson increased to 2-3lessons per week, whereas in TSL, it's still 1 lesson per week.  So this is the main difference between the 2 schools in terms  ...

作者: silvia_ng    時間: 10-11-4 22:53

In SMC, starting from P.3, the foreign language lesson increased to 2-3lessons per week, whereas in TSL, it's still 1 lesson per week.  So this is the main difference between the 2 schools in terms  ...

唔係喎, 我仔而家日文堂, 一星期都有兩日喎。P1果時都係。點解你會話得一堂?

BTW, TSL小一中文係廣東話教, 主要目的係想小朋友習慣升小生活, 如果一下子全英又PTH, 小朋友可能未必HANDLE到。而家呀仔小二, PTH教中文, 簡直進步神速(可能KG都有PTH教下咁啦)。
作者: silvia_ng    時間: 10-11-4 22:55

原帖由 hifriend 於 10-11-3 16:41 發表

應該WORRY我個仔NAUGHTY多過南亞裔小朋友! 佢唔去都好既...因為佢會發現自己果個比南亞裔百厭好多! =P
作者: bbsbbs    時間: 10-11-4 23:26

南亞裔小朋友 not equal to naughty student wor ~
作者: Chatter    時間: 10-11-5 09:16

It's 3 lessons per week

作者: Chatter    時間: 10-11-5 09:19

Agree BTW I am one of your fans  
原帖由 flostangraphy 於 10-11-4 00:09 發表
to be honest, i'm quite happy that your friend with such narrow opinion on the asean pupils  would not be one of the parents of these 2 schools. :)

作者: Chatter    時間: 10-11-5 09:28

Being told by the Head of Lang. at SMC that these exams are recognise/ and can include for university entry globally. i.e. the French exam is the national French Lang. exam taken in France and SMC organises this through the French Consulate Hong Kong and the same should apply for Japanese and Spanish.
原帖由 kanahose 於 10-11-4 08:44 發表
TSL E-C StreamP.6法語程度=E-F Stream P.3程度.唔知道升中學後有那些可以函接到?而SMC聽講升中一後要學生所選修的第三語言考初級公開試,到畢業前再考多次高級的,我想將來畢業後有一定優勢. ...

作者: flostangraphy    時間: 10-11-5 10:35

估唔到冇比人播.... 重有fans tim....... 難以相信....

原帖由 Chatter 於 5/11/2010 09:19 發表
Agree BTW I am one of your fans   

[ 本帖最後由 flostangraphy 於 10-11-5 10:36 編輯 ]
作者: Laputa    時間: 10-11-5 11:50

原帖由 silvia_ng 於 10-11-4 22:53 發表

唔係喎, 我仔而家日文堂, 一星期都有兩日喎。P1果時都係。點解你會話得一堂?

BTW, TSL小一中文係廣東話教, 主要目的係想小朋友習慣升小生活, 如果一下子全英又PTH, 小朋友可能未必HANDLE到。而家呀仔小二, PTH教 ...

Silvia,
THanks for correcting my outdated info.  That would allow parents to know more.   Both are good schools and it's very important for parents to know what they want and which style suits thier children better
作者: suewong    時間: 10-11-6 18:03

其實我都想知當TSL收時, 大家豪不猶疑去register, 但SMC收時, 大家會reconsider......但它地算是同類型school.  是否因為SMC名氣未夠?  中學部未能令人buildup信心?
作者: silvia_ng    時間: 10-11-6 18:12

原帖由 suewong 於 10-11-6 18:03 發表
其實我都想知當TSL收時, 大家豪不猶疑去register, 但SMC收時, 大家會reconsider......但它地算是同類型school.  是否因為SMC名氣未夠?  中學部未能令人buildup信心?

除左中學成績之外, 我睇幾樣啦。學費, 一個3XXX, 一個1XXX。而個CAMPUS係平果個佔優,校網又係YTM。
而SMC既小學都做得好好, 又會GROUP按能力教學。
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-6 20:22

TSL uses Cantonese as the teaching medium for Chinese for P1. If the children have Mandarin Chinese lessons in kindergarten, they should choose SMC.
作者: Hbaby    時間: 10-11-7 13:37

今期親子王有講學第四種語言, 而TSL AND SMC都有介紹少少

http://www.singtao.com/

補充:
TSL: P1-P6 好似要選JAPANSES OR FRENCH, 但唔知是否由P1-P6都學同一種
SMC: P1-P2 要學spanish, french, japanese, 是每個term 一種, 到p3再選定一種至p6, 中學可以接住, 而且要考公開試
作者: aiyah    時間: 10-11-7 15:26

Class size is another concern. 175 seats for 5 classes in TSL, while 80+ for 3 classes in SMC (which are actually divided into 4 groups on core subjects).
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-7 22:41

For TSL, you can't change the 3rd language once you have chosen in P1.

原帖由 Hbaby 於 10-11-7 13:37 發表
今期親子王有講學第四種語言, 而TSL AND SMC都有介紹少少

http://www.singtao.com/

補充:
TSL: P1-P6 好似要選JAPANSES OR FRENCH, 但唔知是否由P1-P6都學同一種
SMC: P1-P2 要學spanish, french, japanese, 是每 ...

作者: fotk    時間: 10-11-8 10:37

It is difficult to choose...

I will choose based on the "real language environment" rather than "presented language environment"

原帖由 hifriend 於 10-11-3 22:37 發表

Just hoping that I can get an offer w ...

作者: ssskwan    時間: 10-11-8 20:16

Then which one do you think has the real environment?

原帖由 fotk 於 10-11-8 10:37 發表
It is difficult to choose...

I will choose based on the "real language environment" rather than "presented language environment"

作者: IOUbabe    時間: 10-11-8 22:20

真係魚與熊掌.........
我想最主要的原因是smc學費貴tsl的一倍, 所以, 如果tsl收, 好多家長都會選tsl, 放棄smc;
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-8 22:22

but I really think SMC worths charging more while more activities and NETs would be offered.

原帖由 IOUbabe 於 10-11-8 22:20 發表
真係魚與熊掌.........

作者: yuengooluk    時間: 10-11-8 22:29

cpcog

可否比較一下兩校NET的數目?
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-8 22:37

according to my info, SMC should have over 10 NETs and TSL should have about 5. Maybe some parents can tell us the exact number.
But one thing I am quite sure about is SMC would offer 1 local and 1 NET class teachers for the lower form classes. I like this bilngual system.

原帖由 yuengooluk 於 10-11-8 22:29 發表
cpcog

可否比較一下兩校NET的數目?

作者: G-Ma    時間: 10-11-8 23:25

SMC學費貴D既原因除左因為NET數目多D之外, 佢地真係行小班, 呢點對小朋友係學習上面有好大幫助.

原帖由 IOUbabe 於 10-11-8 22:20 發表
真係魚與熊掌.........

作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-8 23:34

Agree.
I also found out that the teachers really use English as the teaching medium in SMC. However, my husband heard the teacher used Chinese to teach PE in TSL.

原帖由 G-Ma 於 10-11-8 23:25 發表
SMC學費貴D既原因除左因為NET數目多D之外, 佢地真係行小班, 呢點對小朋友係學習上面有好大幫助.

作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-8 23:35

but, maybe there are more non-Chinese studying in TSL?
作者: Hbaby    時間: 10-11-8 23:42

小班教學真係好好多, SMC唔會多過20人上CHI,ENG,MATHS堂, 但學費比TSL貴差唔多千五以上
作者: G-Ma    時間: 10-11-9 00:00

smc真係幾注重英語環境, 佢地PE, MUSIC, ART堂, 早會, 周會, 運動會及好多不同表演活動都係用英文, 小朋友都好習慣呢個模式.

咁當然TSL英文環境都好好, 不過實際情況我就唔太清楚.

原帖由 cpcog 於 10-11-8 23:34 發表
Agree.
I also found out that the teachers really use English as the teaching medium in SMC. However, my husband heard the teacher used Chinese to teach PE in TSL.

[ 本帖最後由 G-Ma 於 10-11-9 00:02 編輯 ]
作者: aiyah    時間: 10-11-9 08:59

Hi G-ma, can u share more about the chi standard in SMC? does the school put enough emphasis on this ?
Or, any other parents know?
作者: karen55407    時間: 10-11-9 09:04

我揀SMC,因為中學原故
作者: ssdiana    時間: 10-11-9 11:47

The teachers are not persistent in using English for all courses...That's the issue I concern..

原帖由 cpcog 於 10-11-8 23:34 發表
Agree.

作者: Laputa    時間: 10-11-9 18:19

原帖由 aiyah 於 10-11-9 08:59 發表
Hi G-ma, can u share more about the chi standard in SMC? does the school put enough emphasis on this ?

for P.1, SMC use 現代's Chinese textbook and PTH book (p.1) and 高效識字(P.2).every day they have Chinese lesson and I think they put enough emphasis on this.  Recent Parent-teach meeting there are comments that Chinese Homework is difficult.  But you must accept the fact that student in SMC would definitely have better English skills and preference to English.  Yesderday my daughter did an online Math exercise and she left the Chinese mode and switched to the English mode.  She just joined the school for few months.  She was gratudated from a local Chinese Kinder, so it must from the primary school that influence her choice of language
作者: cpcog    時間: 10-11-9 19:20

English is easier for children normally. So, once they love English more, they don't want to study Chinese too much.. hehe
作者: yuengooluk    時間: 10-11-9 19:43

are you talking about TSL?  could u pls elaborate? i wanna know more. thx.

原帖由 ssdiana 於 10-11-9 11:47 發表
The teachers are not persistent in using English for all courses...That's the issue I concern..

作者: G-Ma    時間: 10-11-9 20:04

SMC中文程度同一般官津一樣, 其實學校每日最多既功課就係中文, 學校都知道學生大多偏向英文, 所以係中文科加多左補充練習, 所以程度上係無問題.  不過因為其他科都係用英文, 所以學生接觸到既詞彙可能無一般官津多, 但詞彙係累積返嚟, 上到中學我相信分別唔會好大.

原帖由 aiyah 於 10-11-9 08:59 發表

作者: IOUbabe    時間: 10-11-11 13:17

Hello Flostangraphy,

請問你知唔知道tsl英/法班學生的小六畢業時的法文程度如何?他們在學校是否有以法文交流?

原帖由 flostangraphy 於 10-11-5 10:35 發表
估唔到冇比人播.... 重有fans tim....... 難以相信....

作者: parenthk    時間: 10-11-11 17:06

Please don’t have any race discrimination. It’s not good to have such thinking for our next generation as well. Nowaday, globalization is everywhere, different race will create different values to others. Some research says 5-6 years later, India will be the country with the most population in the world which has more people than China. With those different race friends, your child will have more exposure in the future. Try to think about if your child has discrimination when your child have chance study on board. I had such experience when I was student.

From education point of view, I might prefer SMC if my child has such chance as well bec’ of the reputation not the race population. Wish I can give you 2 cents.....
作者: Laputa    時間: 10-11-11 18:05

原帖由 IOUbabe 於 10-11-11 13:17 發表
Hello Flostangraphy,

Ha Ha, Flostangraphy will tell you his boys and girls are all communicated in French. . . . coz their mum is French

You'd better to go to TSL page to ask parents there.
作者: G-Ma    時間: 10-11-11 22:43

Fully agreed!!

原帖由 parenthk 於 10-11-11 17:06 發表
Please don’t have any race discrimination. It’s not good to have such thinking for our next generation as well. Nowaday, globalization is everywhere, different race will create different values to o ...

作者: ssskwan    時間: 10-11-11 22:48

The French level of the Chinese Stream P.6 students is more or less equal to P.3 of those in the French Stream.

原帖由 IOUbabe 於 10-11-11 13:17 發表
Hello Flostangraphy,

作者: flostangraphy    時間: 10-11-12 11:44     標題: 回復 46# IOUbabe 的帖子

hello IOUbabe,
he he.... it's hard to tell because our boy is only in P1...
just can tell you that from what we have seen during the last open days in TSL. my wife was quite impressed by the writing of the P6 french stream pupils homeworks.
actually the accademic level at primary school in france doesn't set up very high, so, on writing and reading are quite easy to catch up in hong kong.  
however, we don't think the oral standard could compare with the lycee francais... (and to be honest, i don't think many pupils in P6 from tsl /smc / dbs or other schools which have french stream in hong kong would / could speak as good as our boys if they are not french, as Laputa has mentioned, our children speak french everyday...) but still, the pupils in tsl willing to try to talk with us which is good!
you can have a look here if you are interested to know more:
http://210.0.207.198/curriculum/French/index.htm

[ 本帖最後由 flostangraphy 於 10-11-12 11:48 編輯 ]
作者: IOUbabe    時間: 10-11-13 00:22     標題: 回復 1# flostangraphy 的帖子

謝謝flostangraphy回覆, 其實我係八掛咋. 雖然我好鍾意smc 同tsl. 不過我住港島區, 路程太遠了......:

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5