教育王國

標題: ESF 連in 都無得in! [打印本頁]

作者: haydeng    時間: 11-11-18 01:14     標題: ESF 連in 都無得in!

幫阿仔apply左ESF WKS, 我地係cat2. in 都未in, 今日就收到信話waiting list...叫我1月去visit學校,之後有位就有offer。。。
好灰。in 都無得in! 咁我白白俾 $300做咩?
作者: yanyan123    時間: 11-11-18 06:52

我記得以前喺度睇過啲post,ESF叫得你去學校visit,就即係有機會俾offer你架喎!所以唔洗咁快灰心…

原帖由 haydeng 於 11-11-18 01:14 發表
幫阿仔apply左ESF WKS, 我地係cat2. in 都未in, 今日就收到信話waiting list...叫我1月去visit學校,之後有位就有offer。。。
好灰。in 都無得in! 咁我白白俾 $300做咩? ...

作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-18 09:02     標題: 回復 1# haydeng 的帖子

Did it say it invites the parents for a visit or invite your child for a play visit?

ESF kindergarten do not call "interview" as "interview".  They call it "play visit".

And no offence on the application fee.  All international schools charge application fees, ESF is cheap already.  FIS charges $4,000! and GSIS charges a lot and you would have to pay for the "interview"/assessment!  It doesn't mean that the applicants will get in either.  Like when we applied to universities, we pay the application fee and apply to many schools, and we can eventually only go to 1.  The application fee is just to cover their administrative costs for the application process, I guess.

[ 本帖最後由 lottieclee 於 11-11-18 09:11 編輯 ]
作者: josechan    時間: 11-11-18 10:00

你都好, 我apply Hillside, 乜都未收過! (不過我都預咗, 所以已經搵定一萬個 backup plan)
作者: do123alex    時間: 11-11-18 21:12     標題: 回復 1# josechan 的帖子

in the past Hillside sent out invitation in Dec and the playvisit was in Jan.
作者: c200    時間: 11-11-18 22:24

I have received a play visit letter from WKS today.

Play visit date is 09 Dec
作者: clairecarmen    時間: 11-11-18 22:49

Hi Haydeng,

Why you think you are on the waiting list if the kinder ask you to pay a visit?

I receive the letter to day as well, the 1st paragraph states

" I am pleased to advise you that out of the many applications we hv received your child has been chosen to attend the kindergarden for an informal visit"

Don't worry too much :>
作者: handylababy    時間: 11-11-19 00:04

請問係咪有send application都會有play visit or by random的呢?? thanks
作者: c200    時間: 11-11-19 07:55

Hi clairecarmen

May I know when will be your school visit date?

Your child was born between Jan to Mar in 2009?
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-19 09:41     標題: 回復 8# handylababy 的帖子

No... The kindergartens go by priorities too.  When they have filled the spaces with all Cat 1, then they go to Cat 2 priorities.  The remainder are by random.
作者: clairecarmen    時間: 11-11-19 09:42

Jan 14, & my girl was born in March 2009.

Anyway, i will not pay the visit since I hv got an offer by the other IS already...ESF is not my priority since I always want my baby to speak good cantonese!
作者: clairecarmen    時間: 11-11-19 09:44

or i forgot to say my girl should fall in cat 2

mum 1st language: Cantonese
dad 1st langauge: Cantonese
no siblings
non ESF staff
作者: haydeng    時間: 11-11-21 18:54     標題: 回復 7# clairecarmen 的帖子

my letter was like this: Thank you for your application to ESF Wu Kai Sha Kindergarten. Unfortunately we have had a very large number of applications this year and are unable to offer you a place at this stage. However, you are high on our waiting list and experience tells us that places are likely to become available between now and august ........"

they also invite me to go a play visit in Jan and a tour as well
作者: haydeng    時間: 11-11-21 18:55     標題: 回覆 6# c200 的文章

wow. your play visit is so early!!! mine is mid-Jan. are u cat 1?
作者: c200    時間: 11-11-21 19:38

haydeng
My letter is the same as your except the play visit day is 09 dec

My son is Cat 2 student...
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-21 21:54     標題: 回復 13# haydeng 的帖子

It means you are very likely to get in.  They expect that they will have a place to offer you.

No worries.
作者: YuisumMum    時間: 11-11-25 01:29     標題: 回覆 4# haydeng 的文章

Hi Haydeng,
The letter as same as the letter that I got 2 years before. My son got the offer after that visit play. In normally, ESF called you to visit= 90% get offer. Except special case. Don't worry!
作者: newseekers    時間: 11-11-25 04:00

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: Mcdangi    時間: 11-11-25 10:26

我阿女上年嗰封信無呢段喎:-

"Unfortunately we have had a very large number of applications this year and are unable to offer you a place at this stage. However, you are high on our waiting list and experience tells us that places are likely to become available between now and august ........"

是直接約我地play visit, play visit 完咗后5天內收到Offer Letter.

不過你唔使太擔心, ESF分唔同stage收生, 希望你成功。ESF WKS 是一所好學校。

原帖由 haydeng 於 11-11-21 18:54 發表
my letter was like this: Thank you for your application to ESF Wu Kai Sha Kindergarten. Unfortunately we have had a very large number of applications this year and are unable to offer you a place at t ...

[ 本帖最後由 Mcdangi 於 11-11-25 17:57 編輯 ]
作者: c200    時間: 11-11-25 10:38

Why my son interview date is in DEC not Jan?

Mcdangi, can you remeber when did your kid interview bofore?
作者: oooray    時間: 11-11-25 10:47

幼稚園唔同小學,有好多冇諗住讀o既家長唔介意比報名費報名但係收左佢又唔會去比deposit(都見過唔少心繫Kentville同St. Catherineo既家長咁講),d位自然會放番出黎;理論上請得你去play visit其實都好大機會[你估d staff真係好得閒攪咁多場play visit?];與其諗佢收唔收(亦唔到你諗)不如趁呢段時間諗清楚係咪係IS度行落去;睇吓其他post就知爭Year 1有幾慘烈(過兩年只有更慘烈!);自己又有冇決心去同人爭?
作者: Mcdangi    時間: 11-11-25 17:13

C200, I remember it was Dec.
作者: gskw    時間: 11-11-26 01:00     標題: 回復 21# oooray 的帖子

我都係收到信叫我哋一月去play visit (wks)... 但係我好猶豫,因為驚兩年後冇esf primary 收,到時又番唔到轉頭
作者: 甄叮噹    時間: 11-11-26 16:08

我都係1月去play visit (wks)... , 我好頭痛, 因為自己個小朋友係09年12月尾出世, 會唔會太細呢...仲有, YEAR ONE如果冇ESF學校收, 又點算?
作者: BBKate    時間: 11-11-26 21:25

I have received the letter from Abacus saying that they have 187 applications this year for 88 places and my daugther is now on waitlist.  It also mentions that seat may become available on a later stage, but does not mention anything about the play vist.   

Is there any successful applicants for Abacus.
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-26 22:20     標題: 回復 25# BBKate 的帖子

Are you Cat 2?
作者: steffib    時間: 11-11-26 23:02

作者: meowji    時間: 11-11-26 23:06

my son also received the letter but also on waiting list. Geez.....
作者: JYFC    時間: 11-11-27 00:45

Many students attend ESF in the morning & then a local school in the afternoon, or the other way around. This is provided that the kindergartens are nearby each other or/near your home to shorten the traveling time for the little one.

This could be a good backup plan just in case the kid couldn't get into ESF & other IS. then they can still go back to the local system.

原帖由 甄叮噹 於 11-11-26 16:08 發表
我都係1月去play visit (wks)... , 我好頭痛, 因為自己個小朋友係09年12月尾出世, 會唔會太細呢...仲有, YEAR ONE如果冇ESF學校收, 又點算?

作者: gskw    時間: 11-11-27 12:14     標題: 回覆 29# JYFC 的文章

It's so tough for the kid, and I am not going to do that (personal opinion only).
作者: BBKate    時間: 11-11-28 10:32

My girl is Cat 2.  I am wondering the chance of a cat 2 waiting list to get a seat ......
作者: oooray    時間: 11-11-28 11:08

原帖由 gskw 於 11-11-26 01:00 發表
我都係收到信叫我哋一月去play visit (wks)... 但係我好猶豫,因為驚兩年後冇esf primary 收,到時又番唔到轉頭

It seems the situation of Year 1 Admission is worse than last year. I wonder it is because of the sudden emergence of Cat. 1 applicants; or there are so many dual (or trio) applications to Primary and PISs occupying most of 1st round interview.
It is really frustating to those Cat. 2 applicants studying in ESF (or more specifically, ESL) kindergarten.
If you have decided not to go to other IS (other than ESFs, RC and DC) for any reasons, your only option is going back to local stream after K2.
It is really frustating but it is the reality.
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-28 13:24

原帖由 BBKate 於 11-11-28 10:32 發表
My girl is Cat 2.  I am wondering the chance of a cat 2 waiting list to get a seat ......

Hi BBKate,

I hate to tell you this... if you are in Cat 2, and no sibling, your chances of getting into Abacus is 0.  Even if you get into Abacus now, your chances of getting into CWBS in 2 years is 0.  However, the advantange of being in an ESF kindergarten is that you have chance for priority interview at RC and DC.

[ 本帖最後由 lottieclee 於 11-11-28 13:27 編輯 ]
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-28 13:26     標題: 回復 32# oooray 的帖子

Very true.. like us... we are encouraged to apply to ALL 3 ESF categories.  The teachers do state this, "Even if you are Cat 1, we urge you to apply to at least 3 schools for year 1 --- ie, ESF primary, RC/DC and any others that you may have priorities for".
作者: steffib    時間: 11-11-28 15:07

作者: c200    時間: 11-11-28 16:47

I also want to know why there is not many people will apply wks esf, any problem at all?
作者: gskw    時間: 11-11-28 16:59     標題: 回覆 32# oooray 的文章

Thank you very much for your advice! It's really difficult to make decision!
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-28 22:29     標題: 回復 36# c200 的帖子

Not that there are fewer applicants for WKS, but there are many more spots at WKS.

Abacus is a very small school, with 2 K1 and 2 K2 classes in each session, totalling 88 spaces for each form.
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-29 04:01     標題: 回復 36# c200 的帖子

Not that there are fewer applicants for WKS, but there are many more spots at WKS.

Abacus is a very small school, with 2 K1 and 2 K2 classes in each session, totalling 88 spaces for each form.
作者: steffib    時間: 11-11-30 09:13

作者: Sonaming    時間: 11-11-30 14:10

我報左青衣,但係我除左之前 有 application no. 個 receipt e-mail 就咩都冇收過, 冇機會interview 會唔會都有封信ka
係咪咁ka..
作者: lottieclee    時間: 11-11-30 14:44     標題: 回復 41# Sonaming 的帖子

You need to call the school to find out your application status
作者: Sonaming    時間: 11-11-30 15:03

O....ESF TY not yet send out any letter for interview.~!
作者: BBKate    時間: 11-11-30 15:18     標題: 回復 33# lottieclee 的帖子

Agreed the chance is nearly zero, but still want to give a try before giving up.  What I need now is miracle and luck !!

My girl is now studying at Anfield playgroup.  Hopefully Anfield is her back-up choice ....
作者: meowji    時間: 11-11-30 17:42     標題: 回復 5# steffib 的帖子

your girl is Cat 1 but still on waiting list? are u within the 100 list? I am outside 100, i duno if they take my son as Cat 1 or 2 as he doesnt speak any chinese and I am Canadian. DId you find out from them your status?
作者: steffib    時間: 11-11-30 22:50     標題: 回復 1# meowji 的帖子

作者: littleroundface    時間: 12-1-4 00:10

seems so difficult to get a school visit in ESF, I am not sure my son is in category 1 or 2 now....my husband is not Chinese too and we do not speaks cantonese at all.....Is Woodland a good choice for backup?
作者: piggynatalie    時間: 12-1-4 00:27

Oh, I didn't know it is so difficult!
作者: mikeivybb    時間: 12-1-8 13:38

ESF group 有政府 funding,  我亦有交稅呀, 為什麼我小朋友不能有機會PLAY VISIT?? 如他真的很STUPID 而最後不收, 我也沒話說, 但連見都不能見就很反感, 還是退回報名費吧。
我知道反而很多國內人的小朋友就有這個機會。我的小朋友亦不會說廣東話, 因為從一開始我們只和他說英語, 希望幫他為此作準備。現在就很徬徨。

從前的父母不會說英語, 可能不敢亦沒多餘錢比小朋友讀國際學校,那些年的規矩現在已不合用。請ESF好好考慮是不是要改一改不合時宜的規則。讓小朋友可以走一條本地教育以外的道路。

作者: chongnicole    時間: 12-1-8 18:07

而家有RC,mandate係收70或80%父或母係香港人的小朋友,已經係好d。

在希望ESF改革的同時,都要為小朋友計劃吓,萬一真系入吳到心儀的國際學校,下一步點走?如果小朋友中文無基礎,到時被逼讀local school會好辛苦。
作者: littleroundface    時間: 12-1-8 22:03

Its really difficult to make decision and choose for the kid...i believe every kid worth better learning environment....my son failed all interviews...so i am really worrying....
作者: chongnicole    時間: 12-1-9 14:38

What's your plan now?
作者: littleroundface    時間: 12-1-10 09:58

回復 chongnicole 的帖子

Emailed them yesterday and they said my kid is on the waiting list, but I don't think there will be vacancy later and my kid is lucky enough to be pick up in random selection.

Thinking about send him to Woodland pre-school,but it is really expensive and not sure if we can get in.One of my friend suggest me to apply K1 for 2013 again since my son was born in Aug.

I am still searching other English Putonghua kindergarten, maybe try Tinkerbell also since they have Japanese course and my husband is japanes.

Any suggestions??

作者: chongnicole    時間: 12-1-10 16:27

ESF schools are good and naturally first choices for gweilo and hongkee. While u can continue to try ESF, don't count on it. 

Have u tried Japan International School? They have reception class too. Your husband is Japanese and that would definitely increase your chance. 

作者: littleroundface    時間: 12-1-11 10:03

oh,  thanks. will apply the reception of JIS too.. just worrying its very far from where we live....school is in Taipo and we live in Taikooshing.

how is your kid?
作者: chongnicole    時間: 12-1-11 15:23

My daughter is trying our favour schools this year. Will share if we have good news :)
作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-1-13 13:18

Hi All,
My girl will have a playvisit at WKS tomorrow.  Dun know why suddenly have the idea that is it good to put her to study in ESF kindergarten (before, esf is my first priority as my girl speaks english only, but I am not Cat 1).  I'm just worried, if after spending 2 years in the kindy, no promise to ESF Junior or RC directly, what can I do then as my girl cannot go to local stream?  (sigh...)
作者: c200    時間: 12-1-13 14:18

I think ESF Kinder still has priority on RC and DC interview.

Dont mis up with normal ESF Primary school

作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-1-13 16:12

回復 c200 的帖子

Hi all, don't want to pour cold water on your/our shoulder.  Why am I worried for EFS Kinder though I'll have a playvisit tomorrow with my girl tomorrow.  I had joined the school tour to RC Oct last year.  The teacher told us the no. of applicants to RC for admission to Yr 1 2012 is 3xxxx.  Though priority will be given to EFS kinder students but no guarantee for space as there are many applicants from IS like Kingston, Thinker....(sigh)

After paying school visit to WKS Kinder last week, I really like the school, their teaching method.  I just worried for p.1 space after two years.  

作者: Pilotkid    時間: 12-1-13 17:47

yuetsmum, 2012將會有 (3XXXX) 幾人申請入讀RC?!有冇攪錯呀!係咪聽錯,應該大约三千人 (3XXX) 。
作者: chongnicole    時間: 12-1-13 18:43

其實就算3xxx人報,收百幾人,即是小朋友差不多要擊倒~30個其他考生,才有機會...真系好難。
五挑一係合理機會,十選一已經好講運氣。
作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-1-13 23:11

回復 chongnicole 的帖子

Sorry, typing mistakes, applicants for 2012 is 2xxx-3xxx, RC said, a record high.  Their interviews have to be conducted in several sessions, just like other famous local schools.  But one thing is good. The school said "you will not dump $600 application fee into deep sea coz every applicant will be granted interview but may be in different times".  Priority will be given to ESF kinder but no promise for a space due to keen competition.

作者: PoohsBaby    時間: 12-1-13 23:44

回復 yuetsmum 的帖子

Well, I don't know where you got your info on RC.   The Admissions Manager said there were 9xx applications this year, record high.   Almost all applicants were interviewed on 6 and 7 Jan.

作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-1-14 12:45

Maybe your inf is more updated. The briefing staff told us in oct last yr. She told us not to worry if we haven't received letter for interview by Dec as there will be a few interview  sessions to be conducted in Jan. Some in early Jan, some in mid Jan 2012. She said screening is necessary-too many applicants. But of course priority for interview be given to EFS & certain international kinder (she mentioned a few names of kinder but I forgot)
作者: Greentea3901    時間: 12-2-1 16:55

My girl have a play visit, but just received the email is not accept her, so sad, so just have a play visit not guard have place.
作者: lottieclee    時間: 12-2-1 17:14

Are you talking about kindergarten?  Did they letter say they don't have a space for her at this time or reject you?

Chances are that you may still have a space later in the year.  When ESF say waiting list, they truly mean waiting list.  They will contact you when a space come up. Unlike local school they say waiting list but in reality it means no.

作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-1 20:21

本帖最後由 davidgorman 於 12-2-1 20:22 編輯
Greentea3901 發表於 12-2-1 16:55
My girl have a play visit, but just received the email is not accept her, so sad, so just have a pla ...

There must be a reason to reject her. Could you post the content of the email here please?
作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-2-1 23:30

I didn't go to the playvisit finally due to sickness.  When I thought I'd surrender, the staff member called me to enquire if I still want to have the playvisit.  So nice.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-2 00:27

Greentea3901 發表於 12-2-1 16:55
My girl have a play visit, but just received the email is not accept her, so sad, so just have a play visit not guard have place ...
I must say I'm intrigued, here you said your child had a play visit but was unsuccessful, but on another post you said your child did not get an interview ...

Greentea3901 發表於 12-2-1 17:01
I want to know when you apply the ESF TY, the interview arrange is base on the apply date or for what?, because I apply at 1/10/11 but cant get a interview ...
http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=2353661&pid=34278430&fromuid=856558
Well, the "play visit" WAS the interview !!!

If you're interested in ESF, or any other school for that matter, it pays to do some research (like looking up their website) to find out what their admission procedures are, or you could be throwing precious chances away by not recognizing the importance of certain events.

作者: Greentea3901    時間: 12-2-2 16:53

No ar, I received a letter said TY Kindergarten have long waiting list, so recommend I transfer to WKS, I agree and have a visit in WKS, but received a e-mail from ESF, said put my girl in waiting list. I just want to confirm even have a visit place not must have a place.
And I hope to ask anyone know, the arrange interview is based on the application date? becasue I apply in their first day 1-10-2011, but also can't have a visit place in TY.
作者: do123alex    時間: 12-2-2 19:57

the selection for interview is by cat 1 or Cat 2, and within each according to priority critieria. can imagine how keen you were to get into esf if you sent out application in the first day of application.  you may call to WKS to ask for the reason of wait list and how long is the list.   should also try other IS as the back up.
作者: littleroundface    時間: 12-2-2 22:17

i  emailed them, and they said its by random select, those with siblings has piority in cat1, so it's really difficult....compare to ESF Hillside, WKS or TY are better....
作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-2 22:28

回復 do123alex 的帖子

hi,will they answer the questions?
I am on waiting list too after the visit, my letter mentioned that my child was successful and they wish to offer my child a place, however, applicants are more than places, therefore will contact us when place becomes available.
any chance?

作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-2 22:29

回復 Greentea3901 的帖子

hi,think we are in the same situation

作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-2 23:35

Greentea3901 發表於 12-2-2 16:53
No ar, I received a letter said TY Kindergarten have long waiting list, so recommend I transfer to WKS ...
Ah, I understand your situation now. pardon me for jumping to conclusions earlier. So ESF TY is no longer in the picture since your application has been transferred to ESF WKS. I'm certain the application date does not matter as long as you applied before their cut-off date (31/Oct).

Well, being placed on the waiting list of ESF WKS means they did not find your child unacceptable during the play visit, otherwise they would have subsequently rejected your application. So basically you're still in with a chance and just need to wait for some successful applicants to decline their offers and free up places.

作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-2-2 23:49

In that case, I think ESF WKS is quite serious about selection of students.  My girl did not attend the playvisit as scheduled. A few days later, the staff called me up and arranged another timeslot for me.  I was really surprised as I thought my girl would have no chance to get into ESF due to absence for playvisit.  
作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-2-2 23:50

In that case, I think ESF WKS is quite serious about selection of students.  My girl did not attend the playvisit as scheduled. A few days later, the staff called me up and arranged another timeslot for me.  I was really surprised as I thought my girl would have no chance to get into ESF due to absence for playvisit.  Though still not sure if my girl will be accepted up to the present moment, just think they are serious and their attitude is good.
作者: lottieclee    時間: 12-2-3 00:56

They require all children to attend play visit but it's not for selection.... More for English proficiency and developmental screening.  They would accept reasons such as illness for absence just to be fair.

But since 1st round offers have already gone out, you would probably be on waiting list even if you pass screening.

Greentea
作者: lottieclee    時間: 12-2-3 00:58

Greentea3901:  not too much to worry.... They are doing second rounds which means there is a v high chance that there will be a space for you!
作者: yuetsmum    時間: 12-2-3 10:44

Sorry, not too familiar with EFS WKS.  If the 1st round is full already and some are on waitlist at the 1st round, why there is second round?  
作者: Greentea3901    時間: 12-2-3 16:29

Thank you very much for your detail explain, in due I very hope can apply TY ESF, but if WKS have a place, I also will accept. But seem the chance is small since fail in the 1st round.
作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-3 16:41     標題: 回覆:Greentea3901 的帖子

Greentea, "But since 1st round offers have already gone out, you would probably be on waiting list even if you pass screening."

How do you know the 1st round offer have already gone?
I am in the 1st round but I have not received any mail from them after the play visit.

作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-3 17:34

davidgorman 發表於 12-2-3 16:41
I am in the 1st round but I have not received any mail from them after the play visit ...
When was your play visit?

We received a reply from ESF TY Kindergarten 3 days after our play visit so it is not typical for them to delay. May be they already sent you a letter but was lost in the post due to a mis-written address or something, you should call the school to find out.

作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-3 17:51     標題: 回覆:FattyDaddy 的帖子

My visit was done before CNY.

作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-3 18:32

Greentea,
can we apply TY (since we gave up TY and join another queue), think we are obliged to apply one kinder only under the centralized system
作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-4 00:05

zebramama 發表於 12-2-2 22:28
回復 do123alex 的帖子

hi,will they answer the questions?
zebramama, Are you Cat 1 or Cat 2? Did the play visit invitation letter mention anything about waitlist?
作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-4 00:16

hi davidgorman,
my child is Cat 2, yes, the invitation letter mentioned that we are high on the waiting list, think you probably got the same, right?
may be from Day 1 our visit meant to verify whether we are successful to stay on the wait list or not?
how is your situation now?
作者: lottieclee    時間: 12-2-4 05:10

Your play visit means that they are screening children to may sure their English is adequate for ESF curriculum.  And yes... If you pass screening then youcan staty on the wait list.  If you are high on the waiting list, chances are a space will free up pretty quickly for your child. It happens a lot.

And if you have given up your TY application and transferred it to WKS, you cannot go back to TY.  It doesn't work that way.
作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-5 18:21

zebramama, you are right!
作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-6 11:43

lottieclee,
Thanks for your advice, hope there is still chance after the 1st round :)
作者: zebramama    時間: 12-2-6 11:45

davidgorman,
Did u find out the situation?

作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-6 15:59

zebramama 發表於 12-2-6 11:45
davidgorman,
Did u find out the situation?
I have nothing but waiting, ... so frustrated!
作者: davidgorman    時間: 12-2-6 16:13

They put me into the wait list and they don't tell me my number in the list.

What can I do, FattyDaddy?
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-6 16:26

davidgorman 發表於 12-2-6 16:13
They put me into the wait list and they don't tell me my number in the list.

What can I do ...
So at least you know you're on their waiting list, there isn't much you can do except to wait.

You can apply for a job at ESF and if you become their employee they will give your child priority, but that is a long shot.

作者: myfanwy    時間: 12-2-14 18:05

Will they send us a letter anyway as long as we made an application? I did not hear from them so far
作者: misskwokwok    時間: 12-2-16 15:05

As I know, play visits are still happening now at WKS, spaces are keep filling up by the applicant if got "pass" in their play visit.  That seems ppl who are on the wait list got to wait after all the play visits done, and those who needs to go for 2nd play visit will put at the bottom of the wait list if they got "pass".  
That is what I heard from my hubby.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-16 23:46

本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 12-2-16 23:49 編輯
misskwokwok 發表於 12-2-16 15:05
As I know, play visits are still happening now at WKS, spaces are keep filling up by the applicant i ...

From what I have gathered by reading current and older posts in this forum, it seems ESF often transfer applicants from their other kindergartens (e.g. Tsing Yi) to Wu Kai Sa, but never the other way round.

I suspect ESF do this for those applicants whom ESF do not wish to reject but perhaps think they will have lesser chances of being admitted to ESF primary schools later on, so ESF transfer them to WKS which is in the vicinity of Renaissance College, and expect them to enter Renaissance in 2 years time.

Renaissance do not categorize nor prioritize applicants into cat1 and cat2, they do not restrict applicants by catchment area, and they also have a policy of admitting at least 70% local residents, so the chances of these applicants being admitted to Renaissance might be higher.

作者: slyma    時間: 12-2-17 00:09

fattydaddy, so is this implying that kids at WKS is less likely to receive offer from ESF primary , or i should say receive interview opportunity? so should i pick anfield instead of WKS if priority for interview is unlikely to happen?
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 12-2-17 00:40

本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 12-2-17 00:56 編輯
slyma 發表於 12-2-17 00:09
fattydaddy, so is this implying that kids at WKS is less likely to receive offer from ESF primary ,  ...

It is only my suspicion and I have no proof whatsoever, nothing more than my deduction based on the fact that ESF often transfer kindergarten applicants to WKS but never the other way round.

ESF primary schools as well as ESL PIS schools (i.e. Renaissance College and Discovery College) will give interview priority to all ESF kindergarten students, including those from WKS, so ESF WKS still have an advantage over Anfield in this regard, but may be at the time of kindergarten intake, ESF already make some initial assessment and transfer some applicants to WKS because they think these applicants might be more suitable for Renaissance in 2 years time.

In any case, Renaissance is not a bad school, just aimed at a different market segment. For those parents who want their kids to have more exposure to Chinese, Renaissance is in fact a better choice.

作者: misskwokwok    時間: 12-2-17 09:57

回復 FattyDaddy 的帖子

I do not think that is the case.  The only reason for the transfer is the catchment area that has alot of CAT 1 families. Let's say Abacus, many "kwai lo" live in that area, and that is a small school (2am + 2pm).  Even some cat 1 might need to be on the wait list, so you will know what is happening on the cat 2, even sibling cat 2 applicants.  On the other hand, WKS is a big school (double) with less cat 1 family around. So that some applicants that are having priority for K1, such as cat 1 and sibling applicants will be transferred by this situation.
I believe that there is nothing about " initial assessment", "they will have lesser chances of being admitted to ESF primary schools later on"...esf always base on cat 1, cat 2, sibling and then random them within the pool.  How can they do assessment on the applicant without meeting them?  The application form which was quite simple.
For myself, I do think it as the other way round, that WKS is a big new school, for their first year, students has no priority for the esf  year 1 interview, the rate hitting year 1 was poor.  The school might wants to pull up the year 1 admission rate, that they might willing to revieve some siblings, cat 1 and english speaking applicants in order to hit the higher rate of the year 1 admission 2 years later .  As what I've seen and heard by myself, WKS has quite a lot applicants this year, but being honest, some applicants don't understand or speak english well.  I think that is the reason WKS wants to see more applicants in order to give offer to those who fulfil their basic requirements.  
Remember that, ESF doesn't teach english, but teach in english.  This is my sharing.

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5