教育王國

標題: ESF New Admissions Policy @ RTHK 3 and Apple Daily [打印本頁]

作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 14:43     標題: ESF New Admissions Policy @ RTHK 3 and Apple Daily

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: ramen    時間: 13-2-5 15:07

本帖最後由 ramen 於 13-2-5 15:07 編輯

Don't think so...anyone who can afford $500,000 will gain prority (for interview) to any ESF primary and secondary schools ~
作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 15:15

作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 15:34

作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-5 15:37

ramen 發表於 13-2-5 15:07
Don't think so...anyone who can afford $500,000 will gain prority (for interview) to any ESF primary ...
$500K is the NRS (Nomination Rights Scheme) established in September last year.  The number of places offered to the NRS applicants is limited to 150 across all ESF schools.  ESF aimed to raise $75m per year from the scheme ($500K x 150 = $75m) for building / facility maintenance and such and such.  ESF definitely need to raise more funds for their expenditure.  Afterall, the Government will cut ESF subvention in the near future.
For details about Nomination Rights Scheme, please refer to http://www.esf.edu.hk/esf-nomination-rights

作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-5 15:58

本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 13-2-5 16:44 編輯
manstap 發表於 13-2-5 15:34
杜絕虛報英語家庭 
英基要家長面試  Apple Daily ...

家長在面試時表現出與孩子經常溝通互動,比只顧及學業成績更重要。

This has always been the practice for ESF kindergarten play visits (i.e. interview).

They ask for a parent to accompany the child and engage in normal play. In most cases, the children are pretty quiet and don't say much and it is the parent doing all the talking, essentially ESF kindergartens are assessing the parent's English more than the child's.

作者: cppc20    時間: 13-2-5 16:10

Interesting point in RTCH Backchat show.   If all the kids of legislative councial members and senior officals were not allowed to enter ESF or other ISs, then the local education would have been much better.:;pppp:
作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 16:16

作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-5 16:27

FattyDaddy 發表於 13-2-5 15:58
This has always been the practice for ESF kindergarten play visits (i.e. interview).

They ask for a ...
Interesting.
作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 17:03

作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-5 17:27

本帖最後由 mouton 於 13-2-5 21:34 編輯

I met a lady two years ago, she is now a member of District Council.  We discussed about the education of International Schools and subvention to ESF.  Guess what!  This lady told me there is a new International school under construction... I told her that's Harrow International School, a noble International school for rich people!
作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-5 18:13     標題: 回覆:mouton 的帖子

I think it is HARROW

作者: NoahArk    時間: 13-2-5 19:09

manstap 發表於 13-2-5 14:43
My personal opinion,  ESF maybe the last IS school that is not offer debentures for the BIG 6...
So sad that some people seem to have lost track of reality.  Many Mainland Chinese (I hate to call them BIG 6) speak perfect English.  Spend a morning at IFC/Citibank Building Starbucks and see it for yourself.  Personally I know a dozen of Mainland Chinese who are working in HK and have plan to send their kids to international schools in HK.  They are ordinary upper middle class working parents who can't afford school debentures.  But, when it comes to English ability, I don't for a second doubt their ability to compete with 90% of HK parents.

作者: Maoku    時間: 13-2-5 19:17     標題: 引用:i+definately+like+this+arrangement.家長

原帖由 manstap 於 13-02-05 發表
i definately like this arrangement.

家長也要撰寫文章解釋為何選擇英基和面試。家長的面試以英語進行, ...
Agree.

作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-5 19:21     標題: 回覆:NoahArk 的帖子

it's like many of us still thinking mainland people are locust. however, there are many more of them are tigers and lions liked capable elites those are speaking fluent English having dinner at four seasons hotel.

作者: 菠蘿媽媽    時間: 13-2-5 19:50     標題: 回覆:Shrimpiggy 的帖子

Agree…

作者: Choisumwong    時間: 13-2-5 21:05

I know some mainlanders are professors in HK univerisities. Their kids speak very well English. Some of them get 45 scores (full marks) in  IB. As an international city, the influx of mainland talents and competition for international schools are not avoidable. Hong Kong parents should have prepared to fierce competition including academic and languages.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-5 21:17

Choisumwong 發表於 13-2-5 21:05
the influx of mainland talents and competition for international schools are not avoidable ...
The influx of talent is not a problem, nor is the competition.

The problem is, unlike most countries with full control of their immigration policies, Hongkong has almost no control over what kind of people from China can come and for how long they can stay. The person crossing the LoWu border could be that banker in IFC or a grey market smuggler or even another 葉繼歡, Hongkong can't say no to any of them.

作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-5 21:20     標題: 回覆:Choisumwong 的帖子

yes, we can only do better and prepare ourselves and our kids for rigorous competition now on.

作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-5 21:30     標題: 回覆:FattyDaddy 的帖子

hi fattydaddy,  I totally agree there are flocks of locusts crossing the border for baby formulas and groceries. but there are many locals involved in the parallel tradings and criminals affairs.
the lack of control is a political issue as "the government" opened the floodgate when we were desperately struggling to walk away from sars and economy debacle in the last decade with ineffective 自由行policy.
what we should blame for ? our government?  ourselves? or what?

作者: Choisumwong    時間: 13-2-5 21:56

There is no one to be blamed. Look forward, be realistic and accept the trend because Hong Kong people become minority in China. If you do not accept the truth, you can vote 'on foot' only.
作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-5 22:07     標題: 引用:There+is+no+one+to+be+blamed.+Look+forwa

原帖由 Choisumwong 於 13-02-05 發表
There is no one to be blamed. Look forward, be realistic and accept the trend because Hong Kong peop ...
yes. be positive to face the change!

作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-5 22:07

Shrimpiggy 發表於 13-2-5 21:30
what we should blame for ? our government?  ourselves? or what?...
I don't want to go off topic so I'll be brief.

The blame lies first in the HK government for giving up immigration control, and ultimately in the China government for creating a barbaric society. Why would mainland Chinese want to go to HK (and Australia and Germany and UK etc) to buy infant milk powder if their own products aren't laced with melamine.

作者: konimama    時間: 13-2-5 22:10     標題: 回覆:Shrimpiggy 的帖子

Well said. There's loads here in the real world.
Be broaden your eyes please, everyone

作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-5 22:23

作者: Shrimpiggy    時間: 13-2-6 00:04     標題: 回覆:manstap 的帖子

we have the obligation to show a high standard to them but not discrimating anyone!

作者: md23    時間: 13-2-6 09:14

You guys are talking about two totally different groups of mainlanders. One, the so called "elite" group, are mostly educated overseas at some point in their life, college, post-graduate degree, live and work a few years overseas before returning to China. They choose to work in HK because they don't want to live in mainland. The other group primarily got rich from doing business (legal or illegal) in China and they wish for a better education for their children than what's available in China.

These two are not comparable.
作者: LOVELYABB    時間: 13-2-6 09:20     標題: 回覆:md23 的帖子

Are there that many "type 2" mainlanders at esf?  Or other IS? Just curious

作者: md23    時間: 13-2-6 09:43

LOVELYABB 發表於 13-2-6 09:20
Usually they are categorized as cat 1. Because they don't speak much Cantonese or at least Cantonese is not their first two languages. On the ESF application form, one only needs to list his first two languages, Mandarin and English for them. So getting rid of the Cat system helps Cantonese speakers who also speak good English. For others, it is not as clear cut. For Cantonese speakers who do not speak good English, they don't stand much chance in either system. For mainlanders who do not speak English well and parents speaking other languages (Japanese, French, etc), the new system definitely diminishes their chance. For mainlanders who speaks English well and native English speakers, they are also worse off because they will face more competition from Cantonese families.

作者: md23    時間: 13-2-6 09:46

LOVELYABB 發表於 13-2-6 09:20
Sorry, misunderstand your question earlier. Not many at ESF from what I heard. After all, most IS in HK are not boarding schools.
作者: HKTHK    時間: 13-2-6 10:48

回復 manstap 的帖子

That's too bad but most of the mainlanders I ran into at school are educated and lived abroad at some point in time.  They are quite westernized and no different than any professionals that one would run into at a work setting.  They are also very focused on their kids' education since their mother tend to be stay-at-home while the father spend the work week in China.  In all honesty, I would rather have them as my kids' classmates than some of the spoiled brats from HK.
作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-6 11:21

HKTHK 發表於 13-2-6 10:48
回復 manstap 的帖子

That's too bad but most of the mainlanders I ran into at school are educated an ...
Same experience here, I met those parents and kids (PRC immigrants) on golf course, they are well educated and polite.  Kids speak fluent English and play golf very well, single digit handicap! Crazy!
作者: adrjoc    時間: 13-2-6 12:13

本帖最後由 adrjoc 於 13-2-6 12:23 編輯

Dear manstap,
It’s not my fault that my parents have money, it’s also not my fault that I can’t spell it’s exactly the reason why I want to go international schools because I want to learn better English ! Why should I be denied the right to this education? Why is that you don’t want your kids to be in the same school with me only because I was born in China? Why are you discriminating against your own race????

作者: Annie123    時間: 13-2-6 12:17

作者: crystalpui    時間: 13-2-6 13:38

即係家長唔好英文, ESF就無機會了.....

作者: manstap    時間: 13-2-6 14:59

作者: hhy2007    時間: 13-2-6 16:00

回復 manstap 的帖子

You really don't have to call mainland Chinese parents as Chi na parents.
作者: hhy2007    時間: 13-2-6 16:49

回復 manstap 的帖子

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
作者: corgihk    時間: 13-2-6 17:05

Guess we dont need to be too sensitive, though we hate them more everyday.
Understand why we think this name connect to them too hahahha
作者: adrjoc    時間: 13-2-6 17:25

回復 manstap 的帖子

Don’t worry; I don’t think any of the international schools in HK will give me a place only because my parents have the money. Like any other HK kid I am sure I have to go through interviews.

The fact that my level of English is not considered to be up to standard and may pull down the average grades of the school shouldn’t be the primary concerns of the schools and teachers alike. Educators are meant  to put  the best interests of the children in their hearts not the “best grades” of the school, every child is entitled to quality education regardless of color of skin, place of birth, rich or poor ….……

If one day your kid goes to UK for education and a UK mum telling you “get out of here, don’t grab resources from our local UK parents, you speak poor English”
How would you feel?

作者: BBKate    時間: 13-2-6 17:31     標題: 引用:回復+manstap+的帖子 Don’t+worry;+I+don

原帖由 adrjoc 於 13-02-06 發表
回復 manstap 的帖子

Don’t worry; I don’t think any of the international schools in HK will give m ...
Can't agree more.

作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-6 18:28

That's why Canada has changed.  Citizens must be tax payer in order to enjoy so call "Free" education for their kids.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-7 03:45

adrjoc 發表於 13-2-6 17:25
every child is entitled to quality education regardless of color of skin, place of birth, rich or poor ….……

If one day your kid goes to UK for education and a UK mum telling you “get out of here, don’t grab resources from our local UK parents, you speak poor English”  ...
I thought I wasn't going to comment on this, as it might just spark off another off-topic political debate, but then, oh well, what the heck ...

Regarding entitlement, surely the very first question you should ask is, what happened to your entitlement to quality education in China? If you don't like the education you get in China, shouldn't you be asking the China government to improve the situation? Yes I can understand you might be afraid of confronting the China government because they have guns, but that does not give you a right to export your problem to other territories and countries. If you do manage to obtain quality education in Hongkong or UK or wherever, you should remember that it is not really a right but a privilege granted by the good will of your host, you right was in China, and you gave that up by leaving.

Substitute the word "education" with "infant milk powder" or "gold / jewelry" or "medicine" in the paragraph above and the same logic applies.

You're correct to say that a UK mum might tell a Hongkong child to get out, but then the UK government is not like the China government or the Hongkong government, if they see an influx of too many immigrants or visitors which might cause widespread resentment among their own citizen's, they will cut down on the number before the situation gets out of hand. Yes, hatred and prejudice towards outsiders exist everywhere, it is part of human nature, that is why every country has proper immigration control to manage that darker side of human nature, and in this regard, both the China and Hongkong governments are total failures.

作者: poonseelai    時間: 13-2-7 08:42

The same logic may also explain the influx of "fake" Cat 1 students into ESF due to the ever-changing education system in Hong Kong.  Now ESF takes action to stop this.
作者: Maoku    時間: 13-2-7 09:34     標題: 引用:The+same+logic+may+also+explain+the+infl

原帖由 poonseelai 於 13-02-07 發表
The same logic may also explain the influx of "fake" Cat 1 students into ESF due to the ever-changin ...
同意。為人父母替子女爭取最好是自然不過嘅事,但弄虛作假、扭曲操作,甚至影響其他人,就最要不得。

作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-7 10:29

真的假不了,假的真不了!

There is no way to secure an offer from ESF primary school for kids graduated from ESF Kindergarten.  I saw some failure cases in the past.
作者: adrjoc    時間: 13-2-7 11:02

FattyDaddy,
It’s not the inability of the governments (HK & China) to do anything but rather their unwillingness to do anything. The political benefit behind this is pretty clear. HK is part of China and it will always be part of China, this is irreversible, we are no longer a little British Colony. I just think that all this hatred and resentment that the HK people have towards the mainland Chinese is nothing but unproductive. It is going to hurt HK in the long run.

作者: Mom2One    時間: 13-2-7 11:05

mouton 發表於 13-2-6 18:28
That's why Canada has changed.  Citizens must be tax payer in order to enjoy so call "Free" educatio ...
That's not true. Canadian citizens need to be ordinarily resident in Canada in order to access their public primary and secondary system as you are required to have an address within the school's catchment in order to attend. Much like the ESF catchment system but without having to pay the fees.  As far as I know, taxes don't figure much into it.
作者: mouton    時間: 13-2-7 11:16

mouton 發表於 13-2-7 10:29
There is no way to secure an offer from ESF primary school for kids graduated from ESF Kindergarte ...
mldaddy, there is no 100% guaranteed.  Kids graduated from ESF Kindergarten who failed the ESF primary school interview have to find another way to continue their study.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-7 13:13

adrjoc 發表於 13-2-7 11:02
It’s not the inability of the governments (HK & China) to do anything but rather their unwillingness to do anything. The political benefit behind this is pretty clear. HK is part of China and it will always be part of China ...
Frankly, I don't care much about the "Hongkong is a part of China" argument because it is self-contradictory and self-defeating. If Hongkong is truly a part of and so the same as China, then there will be no reason for mainland Chinese to come to Hongkong for education and infant milk powder etc because they will only be getting the same nasty stuff as they do back home.

Whether it was inability or unwillingness to take corrective action is immaterial, the fact remains that both the China government and the Hongkong government have failed, miserably, to foresee what was obvious and allowed resentments to run wild. I agree such resentments are not productive, but then one mustn't forget the root cause of it all. It was certainly not Hongkongers suddenly getting angry for no reason, and the blame, ultimately, lies squarely in your beloved China government because the Hongkong government is really little more than a puppet at the end of some strings.

作者: 21Ckid    時間: 13-2-7 13:34

I come to bk to seek advices on IS and many thanks for those replying to my short messages, However, it is sad to see some parents so eager to get into infighting for other issues, and very often, finger pointing at mainlanders, which quite defeat the purpose of this forum. I am not saying who is right or wrong but i guess if these people can stay out, perhaps more people willing to give genuine advices will come in.

This is a forum to discuss IS, not a forum to express one's greviences, or least that's what i like to believe.
作者: FattyDaddy    時間: 13-2-7 14:13

21Ckid 發表於 13-2-7 13:34
This is a forum to discuss IS, not a forum to express one's greviences, or least that's what i like to believe ...
I think there are grievances from both sides, the mainland Chinese are as much a victim of the ludicrous situation, after all, it is them who had been drinking milk laced with melamine, and receiving education laced with something just as nasty. You can't blame anyone for letting off steam once in a while.

Are internet forums just a place to receive "genuine advices"? Well that is a very Hongkong and utilitarian way of looking at it, in reality, most of the "advices" in cyberspace are more rumour and hear-say than anything. To coin a very Hongkong phrase, 認真你便輸.

Enough said, end of an off-topic discussion, at least for me.

作者: Annie123    時間: 13-2-7 14:36

作者: michelletang11    時間: 13-2-20 13:09

回復 Shrimpiggy 的帖子

can't agree more. Most Hongkong people generally focus on those low level mainlanders.

作者: michelletang11    時間: 13-2-20 13:29

回復 adrjoc 的帖子

If u r really rich, asking ur parents to send u to the States, UK or other nice counties to finish ur study. Hongkong is not a perfect place for getting higher education.

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5