搜索
教育王國 討論區 保良局蔡繼有學校 關於IB的疑問
發新帖
樓主: misstaisen
go

關於IB的疑問 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-7-5 11:34 |顯示全部帖子
Timing-wise, CKY will be following similar schedule as that for SPCC, ie, starting to offer IBDP in 2011-12.  Both are currently candidate school as far as I know.

As for DBS, they were candidate school in 2009-10, and just made it to IB world school in time for their offering of IBDP in 2010-11.

I'm no expert though, these examples should shed some light as to a schedule towards becoming an IB world school.

原帖由 penguin_chick 於 10-7-3 13:26 發表
hsbmama 似乎很懷疑 cky 申請IBD 的誠意或能力,其實要成為 IBD學校,是否有一定進程,而現時 CKY 是否跟不上呢?就以CKY預算在 2011年9月開始在第11班開辦IBD課程,則應該在何時要成為IBD學校? ...

2#
發表於 10-7-16 12:27 |顯示全部帖子
Many thanks, ANChan59, for your sharing.  It's insightful indeed.

You have raised a few questions that are worth CKY's parents to ponder upon.  To be honest, the more I learn about IB, the harder I think it is to students.  IBDP provides a very challenging curriculum that is demanding as well as rewarding.  It would better prepare students to pursue university studies.  Students are supposed to be all-round and are independent (and critical) learners.  It certainly takes more thinking, analysing and critiquing instead of repetitive drilling and memorising.  I am not surprised that students need to work extra hard in order to get better exam results at IBDP.  But I believe their effort will pay off beyond the exams.

I wouldn't say that CKY students would outperform the two elite schools.  In fact, the comparison might not be fair anyway.  Noting that the majority of IB students at DBS and SPCC would come from the best (of the best) while all CKY students (irrespective of their academic performance) would have to take IBDP.  I would be happy IF their exam performance is comparable to  ESF's - and I dare not compare it with Li Po Chun.

I agree with penguin_chick's observation that the pre-IB year introduced by DBS and SPCC is meant for preparing the students from local curriculum to "switch" to IB.  Don't think IBO has ever endorsed such bridging course or acknowledged its necessity, not to mention its syllabus.

As far as I know, the 12-year system at CKY comprise: 5 (primary) + 5 (secondary) + 2 (IBDP).  I wouldn't say CKY students are better, but it seems to me such a bridging course is not really necessary after 10 years of schooling there.

When it comes to CKY's teacher profile, there are quite a number ofthem from overseas, some IB-trained with relevant experience, eg, Principal Yip.

3#
發表於 10-7-16 18:47 |顯示全部帖子
IGCSE is taken more as a testing ground to benchmark the standard of its students.  Instead of taking Y10 as pre-IB, I would say the entire secondary schooling of CKY (Y6-10) is designed to prepare students for the IBDP.  In fact, thesis writing has become the graduation project for Y5.  I think this is the kind of approach and training that's different from the local curriculum.  CKY can afford to do it as it can do away with the local exams / allocation system.

As for ESF... I thought they are migrating to IBDP - abandoning AL.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, if a kid can survive the keen competition in elite schools like DBS and SPCC, I don't think he has any problem with any system.  ANChan, I trust you kid would do well (if not very well) at IBDP.

4#
發表於 10-7-17 10:49 |顯示全部帖子
According to its website, ESF has developed a so-called ESF Diploma which leads to four pathways: (1) IBDP, (2) Advanced Dip, (3) Intermediate Dip and (4) Foundation Dip.

Let's focus on (1) and (2) - as (3) is for "intermediate" transition to the former two, and (4) is meant for those with significant learning difficulties.

(2) is based around a hexagon of 'experience' that features a selection of 'applied' AL courses and B Tec and IB courses.  Apart from a compulsory literacy and numeracy component, it includes IB elements such as TOK, EE and CAS.

To me, this Advanced Diploma is unlike the conventional GCE AL as we have long known that comprises primarily academic subjects.  Instead it seems to provide a way-out for those who may not be able to pursue IB, hence opt to take 'applied' AL and B Tec such as Art and Design, Sport, Digital Media, Fashion and Clothing, etc.

True that they provide some 'applied' AL but I don't see it as a parallel offering of IBDP and GCE AL.  Anyway, I'm no expert and I'd better leave it to those in the know.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖