密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 李光耀承認推行雙語教學政策錯誤
查看: 16065|回覆: 29
go

李光耀承認推行雙語教學政策錯誤 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-11-19 12:17 |顯示全部帖子
Lee is only Lee and can only be Lee.  To him, language is nothing but a tool.  If he lives long enough to see the prediction of E Said come true, he may well be the first one to jump out and promote the learning of Hindi, Kiswahili, Setswana and Zulu.  یا گپھا کے idiots.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-11-19 12:19 編輯 ]

2#
發表於 09-11-19 12:29 |顯示全部帖子
Majulah Singapura!

3#
發表於 09-11-19 13:13 |顯示全部帖子
Do you think that your knowledge, your experience and your wisdom is better than 李資政?

Just now I saw Logic for Dummies at Dymocks for $169 only.

4#
發表於 09-11-19 14:17 |顯示全部帖子
You are so much fun.  Don't let it stop.  Here is an open bet.

You said,

Do you think that your knowledge, your experience and your wisdom is better than 李資政? Who's comment will be more trust-worthy in general or more worth-while to take into serious consideration, you or 李資政?

The question is: Prove, with reference to logic, that iamfine needs to be more knowledgeable and experienced and wiser than Lee to say what is said in post#6 above. (words count: not more than 300 in either Chinese or English)

Name a university discussion forum.  Anyone.  I'll post your answer to the forum of your choice and ask people to rate it.  If more than one person (out of a minimum of 10 replies) rate your answer as good or above, I'll buy 100 copies of your son's book.  If you lose, you don't have to do anything, save that you will be invited to consider refraining from talking about logic.

5#
發表於 09-11-19 14:59 |顯示全部帖子
Bet not taken I guess. Too bad. Was expecting more fun.

6#
發表於 09-11-19 15:09 |顯示全部帖子
What you two are talking about is far too difficult for a layman like me to understand.  I think I am going to get a set of Logic for Dummies.  By the way, does it really work?  Admitting to be a dummy is bad enough, but to waste another $169 and learn nothing would even be dumber.

Hi Thankful.  I might as well get a copy for myself.  Need to detox ... BTW, have I taken issue with anything the Lee said? What worries me is I can't remember having ever disagreed with what the Lee said and I certainly did not call him an idiot (who I am referring to is at everybody's guess). Sign of early demantia? I hope not.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-11-19 15:13 編輯 ]

7#
發表於 09-11-19 15:22 |顯示全部帖子
Mr wisekid2007,

At the risk of boring all those who can see it to death, let me say this.  Your problem is you wrongly assumed that my post#6 was a reply to your earlier post and started to shout like a brat without starting to think.

8#
發表於 09-11-19 15:31 |顯示全部帖子
You know yourself in your mind whether you have disgreed with Mr. Lee's views although you haven't explicitly posting the wordings out.

You can read my mind?  Now I am concerned.

9#
發表於 09-11-19 16:16 |顯示全部帖子
Again you made the wrong assumption. As a matter of fact, I did not call you an idiot. There is a "s" at the end of "idiot".  Can't you read?  Everything is in black and white. I can't deny it if I'd called you an idiot, can I?  As to why you would choose to associate yourself with the word you highlighted in red, you know it better than I do.

You started the name calling and called me "narrow-minded, idiotic and not deserving serious consideration", questioned my "knowledge, experience and trust-worthiness" for no good reason.  That's why I felt so gutted.  Was I barred from echoing Mighty's view? Did I say it's wrong for Lee to think that students cannot do both English and Chinese well? (BTW, even if I disagree with Lee, so what?)  Wasn't it obvious that I was questioning his utilitarian view?

10#
發表於 09-11-19 16:34 |顯示全部帖子
By the way, یا گپھا کے idiots mean worldly result-oriented idiots.  I did not make reference to you when I posted, but if you are under a compulsion to associate yourself with those words, I'll leave it to you.

11#
發表於 09-11-19 16:56 |顯示全部帖子
I'll leave it to you, as I said.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-11-19 17:03 編輯 ]

12#
發表於 09-11-25 10:47 |顯示全部帖子
Accent itself hardly matters.

Absolutely.

The English mania is such a phenomenon in China and many developing countries (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en ... _english_mania.html).  

I guess I am still living in a developing country.

13#
發表於 09-12-1 10:15 |顯示全部帖子
既然在討論雙語,就用中文發言。一來湊湊熱鬧,又可照顧個別迷信英文,但又沒有基本英文水平,寫不出一篇普通中學水平英文短文(更談不上用英文思考)的網友。

儘管不完全同意以上所有發言,喜見有意見不執著所謂皇家英語(或某君常掛在嘴邊 “English at native level, pure accent …”者,彷彿他曾經與 William Pitt 或者 Samuel Johnson 舉杯夜談,只有他們的口音才是英文)。大膽說句 - 迷信英文者,前世或今生受盡英文折磨者也。他們腦中想的是,以老子聰明才智,若加上滿口流利英文,當可打遍天下無敵手,何須屈居陋室,壯志難伸。由是故,他們不停强調英文、英文、英文、英文。對選擇本地學校者冷嘲熱諷,又對根本無須因應學校英文程度而選校者作無理謾罵。他們仍然停留在求温飽層次,根本無法明白英文對很多人只是小事一椿,英文好只是理所當然,無足掛齒。由於不明白而不安,不安而恐懼,故只好自我麻醉,整天嚷着英文好,純英文學校,純英文國際學校更好 … 我敢跟你打睹一百大元,是年 NY Times Best 100 Books,我身邊選擇 Singapore Int, RC or ISF 的,讀過的一定比英文至上者多。

14#
發表於 09-12-1 12:32 |顯示全部帖子
These people think that if they can speak with the Queen's English, they would be superior and they will gain prestige.  Well, I am afraid that's not enough.  They also need a blood transfusion in order to become blue blooded..

Or, a brain transplant?

15#
發表於 09-12-1 13:17 |顯示全部帖子
Here is the MRI of an all-hail-English guy who happens to speak very good English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHwXlcHcTHc (stop at 12:47)

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-12-1 13:24 編輯 ]

16#
發表於 09-12-3 13:08 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 papa_pop 於 09-12-3 12:02 發表
My interpretation of Lee's confession about his bilingual policy remains - that is, he is NOT referring the bilingual policy as a failure in itself.  What Lee meant is, the "way" Singaporean have been ...

Great post. Brilliant. The MM's self-revelation is just a modern version of the Confession of Faith to the new power.

17#
發表於 09-12-4 20:53 |顯示全部帖子
Very well said papa.pop.

Apparently, "bilingual" means different things to different people.  To me, I am perfectly happy with English A at HL and Chinese A or B at HL (or even SL, as long as it is not Chinese ab initio).  As far as I am aware, not a single school in Hong Kong (included those bilingual schools and international schools) has claimed that they are planning to train their students to do two language A at HL.  If schools like FIS, JIS and GSIS are truly bilingual schools (I am not saying that they are not; in fact they are), what's wrong with SIS, Victoria or ISF preferring English+Chinese and calling themselves bilingual schools?  Is English+French, English+Japanese or English+German superior to and more bilingual than English+Chinese?  What I can never understand is some Hong Kong's readiness to belittle Chinese and to blindly worship English, to the extent that they jump on those who want their kids learn both English and Chinese naive and ignorant.  I also fail to understand why some people will choose to think that their kids' brains are not big enough to learn both English and Chinese well.  It may well be that 10/10 in English and 10/10 in Chinese is too hard to many.  So what?  Is 10/10 in English and 3/10 in Chinese necessarily better than 9/10 in English and 8/10 or 7/10 in Chinese?  What's wrong those with parents who prefer the latter?

By the way, Mr. you know who you are, welcome back.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-12-4 21:03 編輯 ]

18#
發表於 09-12-5 18:37 |顯示全部帖子
Professor Yash Pal Ghai when he first came to HK was accused of speaking with an African accent that nobody can understand.  See what he has left with HKU and see how he is now changing Kenya and the rest of Africa, almost single-handedly.

19#
發表於 09-12-8 16:29 |顯示全部帖子
Are you Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

20#
發表於 09-12-8 16:50 |顯示全部帖子
A school shouldn't call itself a bilingual school if it doesn't fit YOUR perception of what a TRULY BILINGUAL bilingual school should be. Marvelous. What a logical statement from the wise one! A man who fails to keep his promise to his wife is to me a wimp. Is that sufficient to turn you into a wimp?

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-12-8 16:59 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題