用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 讀 RC 的小學生中文是否比 SJS 學生較好一點? ...
發新帖
查看: 1373|回覆: 2
go

讀 RC 的小學生中文是否比 SJS 學生較好一點? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-1-21 18:59 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 宏媽 於 09-1-21 13:35 發表
RC is a billingual school

RC is not a bilingual school. It has never marketed themselves to be one and will not be one.

2#
發表於 09-1-21 20:03 |顯示全部帖子
I do not want to compare the schools. There have been many similar comparisons in the past at BK, and things turned out quite ugly.

The level of a student depend very much how the family supports the child and how the child is inspired.

Even within RC, the Chinese level of students vary a lot. There are quite some western kids that are learning Chinese at first language level and are attending the highest level classes. There are also quite some local Hong Kong Chinese kids that are unwilling to learn Chinese with more serious attitude and seem to be giving up on Chinese. So it is obvious that some children may seem to benefit from the seemingly more structured Chinese program at RC, but some children are totally blur and do not seem to have learnt much at all.

Regarding the learning of Chinese, it appears to me that most non-Chinese families, or non local Chinese families are in fact more willing to put more effort with their children's Chinese. A lot of western kids do have after school Cantonese or Putonghua classes.

My way of helping my kids is that I respect the learning of Chinese. I respect the Chinese language and respect Chinese culture. I am very surprised to see that in Hong Kong, many local Hong Kong Chinese families are not speaking Chinese to their own children. According to some of my local friends, they think that many local families believe that by avoiding the use of Chinese (ie reading Chinese, speaking Chinese, etc) in daily life, their children would have even better English level. With such mentality, I think children would never respect their own identity as a Chinese and let alone have good Chinese level. And, unfortunately, using less Chinese does not mean having better English. I have seen so many local Hong Kong Chinese children, that are attending various international schools, with very poor English. They are limited to good spoken English, but are very poor at writing and reading.

I like the respect we can get at RC with the learning of Chinese. RC is probably still not (or in fact will never be) that strong in Chinese, but we do get a reasonable dose of Chinese cultural activities at the school. All I can say is that, if you are merely looking at the actual Chinese level, you might be quite disappointed because it is probably still a long way behind most average local schools, or even other IS's that are known to have strong Chinese (eg CIS, SIS, or even YCIS). However, I think the school is trying to experiment with reaching a reasonable balance and a good dose of the Chinese teaching. Whether such "balance" and such "dose" meet your needs, is for you to investigate and decide.

3#
發表於 09-1-28 12:46 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 AAA-Mom 於 09-1-25 01:27 發表
I have only one concern in SJS regarding chinese lessons. I do not like the school teaching simplified chinese characters. Actually long from history, the traditional chinese characters should be the  ...

Traditional VS Simplified.....
This is probably going to be a long discussion.

My way of seeing it. If.... If your child is in an international school and still enjoys Chinese classes (and surviving them), then you should already be happy. I myself would take any chinese characters at all, if my children are learning good chinese.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖