搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 小學讀際小學,中學時轉回傳統中學
發新帖
查看: 5616|回覆: 4
go

小學讀際小學,中學時轉回傳統中學 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-7-20 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
Depends on what local chinese primary school you are talking about.
Many elite local school kids switch to international schools or go abroad between F1 & F3, and they don't have too much problem settling in.
From local to international is certainly a lot easier than from international to local!

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-7-18 22:24 發表
Agree.  I think it is similar as local chinese primary school promote to international secondary school. :sickmilk:

2#
發表於 09-7-20 14:13 |顯示全部帖子
In whatever situations, there are always going to be examples of failure or success.
But over the years, I've seen & known many local school kids who went to boarding schools in the UK & flourished.
Got to admit that I don't know too many who switched to international schools in Hong Kong as that is only a fairly recent trend.
But I don't suppose those who managed to flourish at Eton & Harrow would have had problems at GSIS & CIS!
But you are quite right that personality is important as the kids need to be able to fit in.
And you have also brought out a point that IBD might not be suitable for everyone.
All the more reason for us parents to find what is most suitable for our own kids.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-7-20 13:24 發表

Not depends on which school, but rather depends on the personality of the student.

I personally know someone from DXS that got into an international school and had huge problem fitting socially and ...

3#
發表於 09-7-22 09:10 |顯示全部帖子
Actually, quite a few.
Most of the top schools in the UK take in elite local school students every year, obviously some more than others.
I know for a fact that there are girls from DGS, St Paul Coed, Maryknoll & St Stephen Girls' currently studying at Cheltenham Ladies' and boys from Wah Yan & La Salle studying at Harrow.
There are others that I know who are studying at Winchester, Badminton, Tonbridge.....etc.
I am certainly not giving just one or two examples.
Going from local school to UK boarding school has been a tried & trusted route over the last 30 years.
I went through that route personally, as did many of my friends, and now most of their kids.
When I first went to the UK in my early teens, I couldn't speak fluent English like the local English kids, but I sure could write better than a lot of them.
Being in an environment where I have to use English daily, it took no time at all for me to be able to talk to & argue with the best of them.
My friends' experiences have been similar.
What I want to say is that for elite local school kids to switch to a UK boarding school, language is not a problem (at least not for long).
In fact, most of their parents will not even give that a thought, let alone worry about it.
Out of the thousands of kids who studied abroad over the last 30 years, of course there have been many failures.
But I do think that failure is more likely due to difficulty in making adjustments, ie personality probelm.
That's why I agreed with you that personality is important & parents need to figure out whether their child is suitable.
I never said that local school kids have no problem at boarding school, but most manage to overcome their problems.
From my own experience & from what I've come across (I've spent the good part of two decades in the UK), my views are mostly positive.
You'll probably say that I am generalising again, but isn't this topic a general topic?

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-7-21 12:35 發表

I totaly agree. But how many of those local schools students have the quality to go to these schools? It is quite dangerous to pick a couple of examples for the sake of proofing yourself.
Honestly, ...

[ 本帖最後由 mow-mow 於 09-7-22 09:20 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 09-9-29 13:23 |顯示全部帖子
Although local Hong Kong students are 1 year older than IS students when they enter university, they have received education for exactly the same number of years, NOT more.
Local students go through 6 years of primary & 7 years of secondary education making a total of 13 years before entering university.
IS students enter university after Year 13 - also receiving 13 years of education.
Therefore HKCEE & UK GCSE should be viewed as the same level, NOT 1 year higher.
Of course, things will be different in the future with the new 334 system.

5#
發表於 09-9-29 21:27 |顯示全部帖子
Wisekid2007 & WYmom,
I'm afraid I do not buy your logic of including the kindergarten years which is actually not compulsory education and is often termed 'pre-school'.
Following your logic, then how should one count nursery & pre-nursery years?
School proper starts at primary school, ie P1 & Year 1 respectively for the 2 systems.
You can protest all you like, but academic institutes internationally recognise HKCEE as equivalent to GCSE O-levels and NOT higher.
How they are going to view the new HK Diploma though would be interesting.
If as you suggest that they should view it as the same as A levels, then under your logic that HKCEE is 1 year higher than GCSE O-level, HKU degree will also be a higher degree than UK university degrees based on the fact that their graduates spend 4 years rather than 3 in university?!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖