To   :      Parents with children in -

ESF schools;
Discovery College;
Renaissance College;
Kindergartens; and
ESL Sports

Dear Parent

ESF Lions Football Incident

I am writing to you because there has been a good deal of understandable concern about an incident during a football match organised by ESF Educational Services Limited (ESL), an affiliate company of ESF, which is not subvented, and whose board I chair.  The match was an Under-12 game between ESF Lions and Kitchee Escola.  A ten-year-old player (we have established that he is ten, not eleven) was videoed making a kick that contacted the head of a Kitchee Escola player.

Let me say first very clearly that ESF and ESL deeply regret any injury that was caused to the young Escola player.  The Chief Operating Officer of ESL, Ann Pearce, wrote on Monday to the boy’s father and the Head Football Coach has also written to the Chairman of Kitchee Football Club expressing their regret.  We accept the disciplinary action that the Hong Kong Development League Association has taken.  I understand that the parent of the injured child has referred the matter to the police and we will cooperate fully with any police investigation.

However, we are also concerned about the impact on the young ESF Lions player of the very public posting of an edited video on YouTube showing these events.  By Tuesday afternoon, only 72 hours after the match, there had been more than 20,000 views.  Under the film clip a large number of comments had been posted, making aggressive and threatening remarks about the ESF Lions player and his coach.  From Sunday evening ESL had been asking Kitchee Football Club to use their good offices to request the removal of the video.  ESL approached the Club because there is no ready central access to YouTube and we did not know the name of the person who had posted the film.  As the film clips (now two of them) were still being shown on Tuesday morning and the number of views and comments was growing, ESL asked its lawyer to write to the parent who we believed had posted one of the clips and the Kitchee Football Club Chairman to press our request for the removal of the film clips.  The lawyer’s letter makes clear our concern about the injury to the Kitchee Football Club child and is designed solely to get the video clips closed down because of the distress that the offensive comments were causing to the ESF Lions player and his family.

We have also commented about our disappointment that the Hong Kong Development League released its findings to journalists, from whom we learnt of them, before making them known to the ESF Lions player, his family, the coach or ESL and without an explanation of what the ‘disciplinary action’ would constitute.

I am very sorry indeed that parents have been distressed by this incident and I repeat my own deep regret that a child who played for the Kitchee Escola team was injured.  All of the adults involved in physical sporting activities, managers, coaches, referees, spectators and parents, have a responsibility to teach children fair and responsible sporting behaviour and ESL is committed to the highest standards in that respect.  Appropriate action will be taken to deal with this incident, but, as we do that, we have also to ensure that criticism of a ten-year-old who made a serious mistake does not get out of hand.

I ask for your support in allowing us to manage the follow-up to this matter in a firm and appropriate way but out of the spotlight of the social media which is too harsh an environment for a child to be exposed to.

Yours sincerely,

Heather Du Quesnay
Chief Executive Officer, English Schools Foundation
Chairman, Board of Directors, ESF Educational Services Limited

cc    :       ESF Board of Governors
                Committee of School Council Chairmen
                Principals
                ESF Senior Management Team
                ESF Education Team
                Ann Pearce, Chief Operating Officer, ESF Educational Services Ltd
                All Staff – ESF and ESL

點評

thomasha  Thanks for posting the letter here so that we can have a better understanding of the whole picture.  發表於 12-3-15 14:12

2#
發表於 12-3-15 13:27 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

I received this letter this morning through email.
In fact, I have written to the principal to my child's school last night to ask about the viewpoint of ESF in this incident and the follow up they have done and are planning to do, and I received the letter this morning.

3#
發表於 12-3-16 16:32 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 宏媽 於 12-3-16 16:35 編輯

回復 thomasha 的帖子

我沒感受到脅迫. 作為家長, 我覺得件事主要兩大問題: 1. 教練點樣帶隊波, 搞成咁, 2. 學校反應太慢. 我唔覺得單憑學校發出果封信及報章報道, 可以判定校方, 家長或孩子沒有歉意, 或沒有道歉的行動.

出律師信方面, 我覺得因為是在溝通過後不得要領才出律師信, 動機OK, 程序OK.
不過出律師信不是一般市民大眾會做的事, 的確會給人不好的感覺. 好似有能力出律師信就惡啲. 但學校要避免學生受到公審, 這樣做也是無可厚非. 我個人對於香港人把人地在公共交通工具上的失儀, 街上見到不平事就放上網, 或者改圖去侮辱嘲笑人, 作出全民公審, 覺得比較反感. 那些人錯是錯, 但罪不至此. 公眾人物就無辦法, 食得鹹魚抵得渴. 但作為一般人, 我諗大家都係只想好好地生活. 人人都會犯錯, 嚴重的話會有法律制裁, 但被公審又是另一回事.

依家仲傳到去海外添....加埋混亂醜陃的特首選舉, 只係覺得香港is dying.

4#
發表於 12-3-16 17:29 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ziyi 的帖子

我想說的已說清楚, 不回應了

5#
發表於 12-3-17 12:26 |顯示全部帖子
This was my feedback in another post:

作為家長, 我地都好憤怒. 但無論幾嬲, 我地都要理性D去睇呢件事.

第一, 英基認為這個學生嚴重犯錯, 會跟進處理.

第二, 香港依家有個公審的風氣, 一有什麼看不過眼就放上網公審.
我見大部份討論, 都傾向認為校風, 教練, 家長有很大責任. 事實亦如此.
但片段放上網, 畢竟對果個學生會有好大影響.
有邊個會想面對公審? 即使成年人都未必頂得住.
校方保護番個小朋友, 我覺得都好應份.
如一時衝動犯下大錯的是我們的子女, 我們都會認同要教育及懲罰,
但我們絕對不會想被公審, 對嗎?

我在香港一般學校工作, 兩個小朋友都係讀英基, 其實英基校風好純樸.  
同香港的好學校一樣.
但係管教方法的確係唔一樣, 香港學校係防止學生犯錯, 而英基則是透過
建立校風和文化去管理學生. 學校成員好清楚乜野做得, 乜野唔做得.
做錯事要承擔後果, 一樣會見家長, 一樣要改過. 但每個人對自己負責任,
知道點解唔做得某D事情, 而唔係只係因怕罰而表面唔做衰野, 背地裡就做.

睇咗踼波段片, 都見到英基啲細路係好狼, 好茅. 球技又好一般.
我都覺得教到隊波咁, 教練真係好唔掂.
將14-0 說成3-2亦有問題, 唔知係唔係球會和教練的問題.

球場上表現, 又好難同家教扯上關係.
因為幾乖的小朋友, 在比賽場上, 又係另一個人.
但對學校內的校風, 我都好有信心. 正如好多家長都有講,
間間學校都有好學生, 曳學生. 但我仔的同學大部份都純品, 有家教.
而學校出律師信保護番個學生, 我覺得都應該.
但最緊要係從事件中汲取教訓,   檢討成件事的成因及日後點樣避免同類事件.

6#
發表於 12-3-17 20:24 |顯示全部帖子
Youtube上,這條影片的觀看人數已有177,664人次
看到其他人的的段留言,甚是同意:

[p=16, null, left]@hongtung The effects of bullying, internet or in real life can last a lifetime, especially where children are involved. There have been some truly appalling comments made here; racist, violent, derogatory and baseless insults directed at a child by adults who were neither present nor have any knowledge of the incident except exaggerated internet hearsay. I refuse to either condemn or defend the child's actions. I do not have the information or desire to do so. More here should take this view

WoWGnomie 1 minute ago

7#
發表於 12-3-18 01:41 |顯示全部帖子
我都有睇到呢段評論, 不過個人覺得不太可信.
真係唔似收唔到腳. 不過我覺得呢個細路好有問題.

一個正常人係唔會咁做.

做出咁既行為, 我腦出就出現咗:
衝動, 不顧後果, 復仇心重, 欠缺愛心, 欠缺行為管理, 欠缺體育精神等等的想法.

接住, 我就係諗, 乜野情況會教出咁樣的小朋友呢?

我諗係: 先天性格+管教策略出問題+足球訓練出問題

仲有可能係: 特殊教育需要, 如: 過動, 資優, 亞氏保加等, 都有可能有咁既行為

又或者係: 家庭缺陷.....

從教育的角度看,
這個孩子需要的是:
讓他知道不當行為帶來的自然後果(natural consequences),
讓他承擔責任: 法律責任, 校方及家長責罰
以及給予他: 教育, 愛心, 關懷, 機會及鼓勵改過.

8#
發表於 12-3-19 12:18 |顯示全部帖子
想問一下, 受傷家長的家長說是因為收到警告信才報警的嗎?