用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Very hard to choose, please help!Traditional vs Mont ...
發新帖
樓主: meowji
go

Very hard to choose, please help!Traditional vs Montessori, TT vs Woodland, IMS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-8-26 11:06 |顯示全部帖子
Share my 2 cents here about Montessori schools as I am very passionate about their methodology.

My daughter has been in a "TRUE" montessori school with CERTIFIED teachers since 2y4m.  She is now 4y3m.  The changes which I witnessed in her is AMAZING. She lacked concentration, confidence and  avoided logical problems (e.g. numbers, puzzles, etc.)  She is now doing 4-digit addition and subtraction in school with montessori tools and she is learning to count with the Seguin board up to 99.  Her personality also took a positive turn.  I honestly don't believe that a "regular" school could make this transformation because all the kids learn at almost the same pace regardless of ability and interest.  Teachers, parents, and kids all know the children's ability and ranking even if the school doesn't officially provide ranking and conduct tests - a case which is not present in montessori school.  I think the reason why some parents think montessori schools don't work is simple - because in HK, we all want to take the safest route - though not necesssarily a better one.  It is hard also for us to live without a report card with GRADES!  

About Montessori schools in HK, the sad fact is that there are not many TRUE montessori schools which are well-run.  Small World is NOT a certified montessori school.  Even the principal admits that their teachers have a bit of montessori training, but are not certified.  I have to agree they are very caring, but your child will not complete the montessori casa curriculum there.  Having a set of tools doesn't make a school montessori.

I am not sure if EVERY Woodlands Montessori class has a certified teacher and if they follow the 3-hour work cycle.  I suggest you ask, but I don't think they are a pure montessori school either.  Remember - there is no trademark to the montessori name.  Anybody can slab the word "montessori" on their school.  

ICMS - except for the head teacher - seems all teachers are quite young and inexperienced.  Teacher turnover is quite high, but their teachers are certified.  So if you think ICMS is not a TRUE kindergarten and not worth the price, all I can say is that A. TRUE montessori kindys in HK are all private, so they naturally charge the fees a private kindy will charge B.  Demand for truly montessori-certified teachers outstrip supply, so montessori kindy teachers usually receive higher pay than regular kindy teachers.  In all cases, teachers are the most important part of the school IMHO.

IMS - a school which I am seriously considering transferring my daughter to because I want her to go to their primary school.  I don't know enough about their kindergarten to comment, but I have talked to a friend whose child goes there.  The school which my daughter goes to is better in teacher/student ratio at 2 certified teachers:14 students vs. IMS 2 teachers (1 certified, 2nd one may be in training or certified) to 24 students.  My daughter's school is 100% mandarin, but IMS is bilingual.

Most important thing is: ask yourself what do you want your child to get out of his/her education?  That's the key question.

[ 本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 10-8-26 11:31 編輯 ]

2#
發表於 10-8-26 14:50 |顯示全部帖子
www.bestconcept.net

3#
發表於 10-8-26 22:00 |顯示全部帖子
if u value teacher quality more than nice facilities, BC will not disappoint you.

4#
發表於 10-8-27 22:36 |顯示全部帖子
no, i live on HK side.  My daughter skipped K1 entirely and went only to BC.  I am a bit worried about her primary school application as BC is not considered to be a real kindy, so I have to put her in a kindy (unfortunately) in September.  She will go to BC 3 days a week (thurs ~ Sat) as well as a regular kindy.  I tell myself that at least she doesn't have to go to math and putonghua tuition like other K2 kids...

5#
發表於 10-8-31 12:31 |顯示全部帖子
I applied to small world also and got accepted for K2.  I decided in the end not to go for certain reasons, but I like the school very much.

What should I say about Montessori?  I think that run properly, montessori will nurture a child's independence, concentration, critical thinking and analysis, love of learning, sense of community, responsibility, and respects for others.  It is hard to find a school capable of all these qualities.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題