教育王國 討論區 小一選校 Down-grade St. Paul Coed after the briefing session
樓主: liyinfai
go

Down-grade St. Paul Coed after the briefing session [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-9-10 00:01 |只看該作者
sure you should be a good mother!

原帖由 wootaitai 於 9/9/2009 23:45 發表
She quite likes it actually.  because she can wear a pretty dress and I buy her a small gift if she has done her best. Of course best of all she want to win some trophies.

My husband disapproves of  ...
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me.... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."
    -Steve Jobs-

22#
發表於 09-9-10 09:54 |只看該作者
I have two kids studing in SPCC.

Your comment is true in some cases, expecially your impression on the principle's presentation method.  I fully agree, not only through the breifing, but also the day to day contact in the last few years.

However, I can't agree on the conclusion you make from the breifing.

1) IB vs 334
What is wrong with 334?  Is IB really good or suit yoru kids?  Do you really understand what IB provides?  A school proides IB as an alternative is already a bonus.  You will not be guaranteed to take any course you want even in the Univeristy.  There is no point criticise the school that there is not enough IB seats for all students.

2) Pushing, homework, exam
is the school pushing?  yes
is there a lot of homework?  yes or no.  my elder kid who has more homework can finish his work most of the case in less than 45 mins.  my younger kid do take even more time.  Why?  It depends on the kid himself.  You can find kids in brand X school not able to finish their school.  Is that school pushing?  Yes, you can derive that with your logic.
a lot of exam?  yes.  two exam and four assessment in 1 year.  The assessment is as important as the exam.  since this year, it changes to two exam and 3 assessments in 1 year.  DBS has three exams in 1 year.  

3) soul to get excellent results via competition.
absoultely no.
does the school want to have result at competition?  yes.  does the school push the student for it?  No.  On the other side, the school simply provide you a lot of opportunities for audition for different school team, but you are free to join.  My kid is selected as school team for 5 activities and he is busy everyday participating different activities.  Pushing and soul to get excellent results via competition?  No way.  I has debat with my kid to give up some activites but he refused.  Does it good for kid?  Yes, why not to let kids to explore more besides homewrk.   Some of his classmates do not join any school team.  Do they feel pressue from school?  No.  

Liyinfai, you are right that the admission procedure is bi-direction, and you are the one to decide for your kid.  I am not going to debat with you, neither criticise your comment.   As the current parent of SPCC and has contact with the school staff of different level, I would like to provide you more info. for you and other to select the best school for your kid, and to voice out my comment on the school which you may misudnerstand.  Why?  Because I got the exact comment as you did few year ago.  I was also given chances to take up the seat of another DSS as good as SPCC, but I finally selected SPCC for my kid and has no regret.  At least he is really ahppy with his school life.

Hope this helps.

原帖由 liyinfai 於 09-9-9 19:54 發表
I just went to the briefing session.
The feelings is Not a really happy experience!!
The principal Ms Lee answer some questions very trickly:
1/ One parent ask for IB. She answer that student at F3 wi ...

23#
發表於 09-9-10 10:39 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

24#
發表於 09-9-10 11:08 |只看該作者
spcc好鍾意收果D有高學歷又肯做全職媽媽既小朋友.

原帖由 telegogo 於 10/9/2009 09:54 發表

Your comment is true in some cases, expecially your impression on the principle's presentation method.  I fully agree, not only through the breifing, but also the day ...
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me.... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."
    -Steve Jobs-

25#
發表於 09-9-10 12:19 |只看該作者
Telegogo,
Hello!  That ll be lucky to meet parent who has kids studying in SPCC already.  I heard so many rumours abt SPCC.  The only thing that I really do worrying abt is, if a kid just comes from a middle class family (don't even has a car at home), but is lucky to get into SPCC, ll that kid be discriminated by other kids since most of the kids are from very rich families?  And ll the parents discriminate that family as well?  I think learning at school, the most important thing is ethnical development.  If a not so rich kids studying in this kind of school, ll he/she have psycological problems?  

These questions have been exisiting in my mind for a long time.  Only heard from non SPCC parents.  If you ve time to share, that ll be great!  Thanks!

原帖由 telegogo 於 09-9-10 09:54 發表

Your comment is true in some cases, expecially your impression on the principle's presentation method.  I fully agree, not only through the breifing, but also the day ...

26#
發表於 09-9-10 15:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 flostangraphy 於 09-9-10 11:08 發表
spcc好鍾意收果D有高學歷又肯做全職媽媽既小朋友.

What's wrong with that?

If I were the principle of any school, I shall do the same.  Think the other way round, will an educated full time mum help raising a child, given other conditions equal?

27#
發表於 09-9-10 15:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 wootaitai 於 09-9-10 10:39 發表
Telegogo, thanks for sharing. is it necessary to get tutorial help?

what is the norm?

No so-called norm at all.  There are students have different private tutors for each subject.  I personlly not given any academic tutorial other than that from school.  I want my kid start studing at a later stage.

I admit that, due the better AVERAGE family background, more parents are willing to pay for tutorial.  But I can tell you that lots of the outstanding students do not need tutorial and have working mum.  Again, school is only a school, it is all about your own kid.

28#
發表於 09-9-10 16:10 |只看該作者
原帖由 cmchang0927 於 09-9-10 12:19 發表
Telegogo,
Hello!  That ll be lucky to meet parent who has kids studying in SPCC already.  I heard so many rumours abt SPCC.  The only thing that I really do worrying abt is, if a kid just comes from a ...

No, for the children.
Yes, may be for the parents.

I am from a middle class family.  If the parents have no psycological problems, I do not think the kids will.  My kid sometimes is invited for party at Jockey Club, Country Club, or billions-dollars-house.  My kid loves playing there, but also enjoy party at Mcdonald.

Actually, I would much prefer to have my kid to meet people from different family background when they are young.  

Difficuly to find very poor at SPCC, but there is lot of middle class.  If you resepct other parent, most do the same.

29#
發表於 09-9-10 16:58 |只看該作者
that's nothing wrong with that... that good actually!!
that's mean the daddy alone can earn enough money to raise the family and pay the school fee with easy.
If I were the principle of any school, I shall do the same.

原帖由 telegogo 於 10/9/2009 15:35 發表

What's wrong with that?

If I were the principle of any school, I shall do the same.  Think the other way round, will an educated full time mum help raising a child, given other conditions equal? ...
    -Steve Jobs-

30#
發表於 09-9-10 18:16 |只看該作者
講真...唔係好同意

不過..可以尊重妳的想法
但我相信 妳唔考 都依然會有好多人會去報o既
妳所發表o既o野,我相信亦都影響唔到太多今屆想考o既人

我o個仔幼稚園..幾乎人人都有報名....so~

原帖由 liyinfai 於 09-9-9 19:54 發表
I just went to the briefing session.
The feelings is Not a really happy experience!!
The principal Ms Lee answer some questions very trickly:
1/ One parent ask for IB. She answer that student at F3 wi ...

31#
發表於 09-9-10 18:29 |只看該作者
原帖由 lin624 於 09-9-10 18:16 發表
講真...唔係好同意

不過..可以尊重妳的想法
但我相信 妳唔考 都依然會有好多人會去報o既

Today, I arrived at the school at 3:25pm.  There were almost 50 appl ahead of me... lots & lots of ppl.  I saw Ah B couple there too. I left there at around 4:10pm, even more ppl + private cars arriving at the school,  they should be all coming for submitting appl. Seems every eligible kids are applying....huge competition.

32#
發表於 09-9-10 21:09 |只看該作者
佢點知全職媽媽高學歷呀? 報名表又無要人填學歷

原帖由 flostangraphy 於 09-9-10 11:08 發表
spcc好鍾意收果D有高學歷又肯做全職媽媽既小朋友. :good:

33#
發表於 09-9-10 21:43 |只看該作者
Thank you for your information.
I shared my feelings because (1) I really think that the Principals are too proud of so many application, (2) I doubt why they tried to avoid to answer the question frankly (I do n ot prefer IB to 334). In fact, as a leader of a school, they should behaves themselves and reflect the real situation of school, no matter it is positive or negative. (3) Most importantly, I want to advise parents here should have a realistic and thoughout consideration before sending children to this school. Not everyone (both parents and children) are suitable to this school.
Of course, the attitude of these 2 principals do have problems and I hope the students in the school do not learn from these 2 ladies (or women).
Thanks again for your valuable information.

34#
發表於 09-9-10 22:16 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

35#
發表於 09-9-10 22:29 |只看該作者

回覆 1# wootaitai 的文章

I know there is talk for admission.

but after admission, does school offers parents's a briefing talk on the school's education approach / teaching method/ curriculum / meet you teachers?

36#
發表於 09-9-11 00:40 |只看該作者
原帖由 liyinfai 於 09-9-10 21:43 發表
Thank you for your information.
I shared my feelings because (1) I really think that the Principals are too proud of so many application, (2) I doubt why they tried to avoid to answer the question fra ...

Liyinfai,

I support you. Both I and my husband had the same feeling.
But I must say, if they accept my kid, I will be extreme happy and will not give up the seat.

37#
發表於 09-9-11 00:54 |只看該作者
原帖由 mmmmm 於 09-9-11 00:40 發表

Liyinfai,

I support you. Both I and my husband had the same feeling.
But I must say, if they accept my kid, I will be extreme happy and will not give up the seat.

Maybe I should say in this way, if they do accept my kid, I am sure I'll be extremely happy.
But if my kid is not being accepted, I won't be too disappointed.

38#
發表於 09-9-11 10:37 |只看該作者
低學歷既媽咪,好多時都要做野ㄚ嗎...
咁佢問你有冇做野咁咪知你高唔高學歷lor....

原帖由 tcbobo 於 10/9/2009 21:09 發表
佢點知全職媽媽高學歷呀? 報名表又無要人填學歷

-Steve Jobs-

39#
發表於 09-9-11 10:51 |只看該作者
that's not important for them to talk about their teaching method or curriculum, because i have heard that the teachers in this school not really need to teach anything as the pupils have already learnt everything at home with their private tutors.
face it, this kind of school is a connection. it just gather all the alike parents together and let their children more or less in the same community in the future.
if the parents aren't alike the other parents or don't feel comfortable in this style of life. there is no real benefit for the child. i don't think they really learn more than any other school. but the children know more rich people already when they finished school for sure.

原帖由 mattsmum 於 10/9/2009 22:29 發表
I know there is talk for admission.

but after admission, does school offers parents's a briefing talk on the school's education approach / teaching method/ curriculum / meet you teachers?
    -Steve Jobs-

40#
發表於 09-9-11 14:31 |只看該作者

回覆 1# flostangraphy 的文章

well, they start to have things like others- fees closed to IS, outward bound camp, oversea trip, lots of extra curricular course, etc. i once heard starting of term at late august.
why not having parent's night?

I won't downgrade this school, I think it is a good one and I am not that sure they have the " eager for excellent student" symdrom .
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖