搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 HKDSE Students - University Admission
樓主: ANChan59
go

HKDSE Students - University Admission [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 11-9-16 14:33 |只看該作者

回復 60# ANChan59 的帖子

How do you get the quota of 420 for EAS?

My understanding from the previous local EAS briefing sessions of HKU/CUHK/HKUST in 2010 and the discussions with the senior admission officer of HKUST is that:-

(1) For each study programme, the ratio is 1/3:1/3:1/3 for local EAS:JUPAS:non-JUPAS  as you said.

(2) For non-local EAS, the quota goes under "Non-JUPAS", not "EAS" which is solely for local students using HKCEE results.

(3) As far as condition (1) is satisfied, all the 3 U's can admit all the eligible local EAS applicants, not limited by any "overall quota".

(4) In the past few years, the number of eligible local EAS applicants is around 410-430 every year. So, it may be how the figure of "420" comes out. But I note that, for year 2011, the number of eligible local EAS students jumps to  slightly over 500 as more students get better HKCEE results that year. I think all of them will be admitted as far as they apply through the scheme.

(5) Notwithstanding (1) above, some faculties of CUHK & HKU are more tricky to admit more EAS students beyond the 1/3 quota by applying the quota on the "overall" degree programmes, not the individual programmes. For example,

CUHK: BBA(Global Business) admitted 13 EAS students out of the "15" places, i.e., only 2 places left behind for JUPAS candidates. They use the overall places under all the BBA programmes to satisfy the "1/3" rule.

Similarly, HKU: BBA(Law) admitted 43 local EAS students out of the "65" places.

Yes, it is unfair to the JUPAS candidates. Situation will be changed as local EAS scheme no longer exists.

[ 本帖最後由 daisychan 於 11-9-16 14:54 編輯 ]

62#
發表於 11-9-16 17:41 |只看該作者

回復 61# daisychan 的帖子

Daisy

Thanks for your detail ellaboration of EAS, even it's no more EAS after transition to HKDSE.

Yes, 420 is an average no. of previous years EAS successful candidates, except 2011. I only keep track JUPAS upto 2010, then I shift my focus to non-JUPAS.

Your remarks 1-4 are self-explanatory and valid. For remark 5, it's known to public that CUHK & HKU maximise their 1/3 EAS quota to get the cream students. HKUST may feel unfair but eventually most elites may target traditional hot professional programs which she can't offer like Law, Medicine....

For EAS, I don't say it's fair or unfair. I guess universities may identify some correlation between HKCEE & HKALE results. If those EAS students are cream of the cream, even taking HKALE, most of them still have priority to take the most popular programs. It's a fair competition and application process.

Thanks again for your remarks.

ANChan59
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

63#
發表於 11-9-25 20:54 |只看該作者

HKUST - Business School

This morning went to HKUST, unfortunately, today only for HKDSE JUPAS students, HKALE & non-JUPAS seminars were held on Saturday.

We're disappointed, but my son talked to 2 admission officers and got some useful info related to the B school.

1. The B school will be school based and common first year. They will take the students into BBA in general, even you apply for the Global Business or QF.

2. For QF and Economics and Finance, after first year, you will stream to programs more "suitable" to you.

3. For BBA, you will stream to Global Business, Accounting ...... base on the two years academic results, so you may not end up in Global Business even you admitted the program in day one.

So if you are interested in HKUST's business programs, be careful and good luck.

64#
發表於 11-9-26 15:57 |只看該作者

回復 1# ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan59,
Thanks for sharing!
It seems that HKUST is adopting "school based admission" similar to HKU's "faculty based admission" such as Science Faculty. But hku Science faculty admission is further divided as Bachelor for Sc. and Bachelor for Sc.(Actuarial) which is more sensible I think.
UST's new admission policy is some how misleading and unfair unless they treat admission to Business School as one choice without further divisions for QF, Global Business, etc.

65#
發表於 11-9-26 16:19 |只看該作者

回復 64# JP 的帖子

JP

I guess the management pushed this approach. The School may need further massage the process.

From my understanding, they may offer BBA alone, but other universities may take the hot programs out of the approach, they may need firther consideration.....

ANChan59

66#
發表於 11-9-26 18:10 |只看該作者

HKUST School-based Admission

JP

Don't mislead you, i copy and paste the info from HKUST UG admission for your reference....

Under the new academic structure, HKUST will provide students with broader knowledge base and flexibility in learning. We will expand the school based admissions system to all 4 schools (Science, Engineering, Business & Management and Humanities & Social Science) currently running UG programs.  

Prospective HKUST students only need to opt the school they wish to join.  In the first two to three semesters (one to one-and-a-half-year), they will take the compulsory University Core Curriculum Program, also learning the fundamentals of the major programs of the school.

Students may use this period to explore their aptitude and interest before deciding on their path of study.

They can choose to study and graduate with single major, double majors, single major with a minor or an interdisciplinary program. Along with the study path they have opted, they will have ample opportunities to enjoy a slew of co-curricular programs and enrichment activities aimed at widening their exposure and fostering whole person development.

Unquote

http://urao.ust.hk/local_4yr_admission.html

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-26 18:15 編輯 ]

67#
發表於 11-9-26 20:22 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-9-26 16:19 發表
JP

I guess the management pushed this approach. The School may need further massage the process.

From my understanding, they may offer BBA alone, but other universities may take the hot programs out ...

Let's wait and see what are the admission policies of CU/HKU in particular those hot programmes.

68#
發表於 11-9-26 22:56 |只看該作者
原帖由 JP 於 11-9-26 20:22 發表
Let's wait and see what are the admission policies of CU/HKU in particular those hot programmes.

Yes, wait and see.

BTW, HKUST may announce some "fine-tuning " policy like EAS to counter-act the HKU's principal nomination scheme....

69#
發表於 11-9-28 22:16 |只看該作者

回復 68# ANChan59 的帖子

據我所知UST會容許一o的文憑試成績優異既考生yr2時可以直升心儀學系, 無需要再分流,但點樣為之優異就仲未定. 呢個做法都公平o的, 起碼secure咗個學位, 唔會因為大學成績失手而入唔到理想學科.

70#
發表於 11-9-28 22:57 |只看該作者

回復 69# khmama 的帖子

I also heard about that and they called it 'Magic Line"......but how to draw the line, they still consider that....

I guess they will announce the detail very soon......just for HKDSE this year and for IBDP next year....

IB admission score for BBA (Should be BBA, I mixed it up with GBus. For GBus 39-42 included bonus point per Daisy Chan's info) around 33-36 excluded bonus point. After transition to HKDSE, the IB admission score will be lowered as HKDSE standard will be below IBDP......

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-30 10:26 編輯 ]

71#
發表於 11-9-29 23:03 |只看該作者

回復 70# ANChan59 的帖子

As I know, for Year 2010, the IB admission score for HKUST BBA(GBUS) is 39-42, including the bonus points.

72#
發表於 11-9-29 23:30 |只看該作者

回復 63# ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan59,

Just like you, I orginally planned to attend the HKUST admission talk on last Sunday(25 Sept) to collect some information for non-JUPAS applicants. Fortunately, I visited the HKUST website last Friday and noted that they re-named the 25 Sept admission talks as "JUPAS" admission talks. I called the admission office and they confirmed that the only one talk on "non-JUPAS admission with international qualifications" was the one held on last Saturday at 10a.m.

So, I rescheduled my committments and attended the talk last Saturday. Here are some salient points regarding the IB qualifications that I can share with you and other parents:

(1) Although the mininum IB score quoted in their website is 30, they have never admitted any applicant with an IB score less than 32.

(2) In 2010, a total of 66 applicants with IB qualication were admitted to the HKUST Year 1 programs.

(3) The average IB score is 36.7 for HKUST and 34.3 for all the local universities.

(4) It seems that, among all the international qualifications, HKUST prefers IB most (you must agree with this, and not just for HKUST!). They has even set up a scholarship especially for IB qualification, and not other international qualifications.

73#
發表於 11-9-30 09:31 |只看該作者
原帖由 daisychan 於 11-9-29 23:03 發表
As I know, for Year 2010, the IB admission score for HKUST BBA(GBUS) is 39-42, including the bonus points.

Daisy

You are right 39-42 IB scores for GBUS. I talked to the admission officers, they quoted for 33-36 (Excluded bonus points) for BBA as per School Based Admission (I amended my previous post and thanks for your clarification). IB will have another "Magic line", they are not working on that right now, but they may lower the requirement relative to HKDSE in coming months.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-30 10:23 編輯 ]

74#
發表於 11-9-30 09:56 |只看該作者

回復 72# daisychan 的帖子

Daisy

Thanks so much for your updated info of HKUST. You always provide some useful info about HKUST. Some quick remarks of your info

(1) Although the mininum IB score quoted in their website is 30, they have never admitted any applicant with an IB score less than 32. (Not in Buiness School, but yes in other Schools. Initially, Schools even accepted some students' IB score less than 30 and they struggled, then kicked out from the university - Info from Science and Engineering professors.)

(4) It seems that, among all the international qualifications, HKUST prefers IB most (you must agree with this, and not just for HKUST!). They has even set up a scholarship especially for IB qualification, and not other international qualifications. (From my limited info after discussing with professors from local universities, they preferred IB among international qualifications. For some traditional hot programs, they still prefer local curricullum. HKUST sets up scholarships for international qualifications, not just IB alone. For IB, they listed out the min req and schedule. Other qualifications, they just quote outstanding academic results. A professor told me that in HKUST, IB score 35 definitely will have a scholarship.)

If you don't mind, we should moved/copied our discussions to "NSS vs IB", as this post more focus on HKDSE.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-30 10:45 編輯 ]

75#
發表於 11-9-30 14:31 |只看該作者
請問 HKUST 理學院 (School of Science)難唔難入嫁??

76#
發表於 11-9-30 19:29 |只看該作者
原帖由 9498mami 於 11-9-30 14:31 發表
請問 HKUST 理學院 (School of Science)難唔難入嫁??

http://www.jupas.edu.hk/upload/useful_material/af_2010.pdf

You can compare the science programs' admission grades among HKU, CUHK and HKUST, you can have better understanding the grades.

you also need to check the no. of places in those science programs.

77#
發表於 11-10-3 22:39 |只看該作者
334真係好煩= =
‹ 上一主題|下一主題