教育王國 討論區 國際學校 IB一條龍的迷思
樓主: clara1477
go

IB一條龍的迷思 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-11-7 10:20 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

Hi poonseelai,

Can you share with us what is the major difference between PYP and MYP?  I heard that MYP students are extremely busy, and am wondering if it is worth proceeding to MYP given some of the adverse comments. Thanks a lot.

22#
發表於 12-11-7 10:36 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

what I tend to think is the academic rigor of an IB school could be just as good as a traditional school and may depend on how well the school teaches it just like non-IB schools. I've observed how PYP class is conducted at my daughter's class. In terms of knowledge content, i havent noticed they would be learning less than traditional schools but the methods of teaching would be different as one would expect.

23#
發表於 12-11-7 11:42 |只看該作者
cherubic 發表於 12-11-7 10:20
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

Hi poonseelai,

Quite a big difference.  

PYP is unit based.  There will be about 6 units a years (e.g who we are?  where are we?).  The units are the same for each year but the contents would be different.  Learning will be conducted around the unit.  There are separate classes for Math in my daugthers' school.  No examination in PYP.  The IBO does not allow any examination or giving marks to students in PYP.

MYP is subject based.  There are eight subjects: Eng, Chi, Math, Science, PE, Technology, Arts/Drama/Music, Humanity.  Summative assessment twice a year, and formative assessments throughout the year.  From what I observe from my year 8 and year 6 daughters, I would not say the academic level of MYP is low.  I also heard parents say that GSCE is far too easy but I cannot comment on this as I have no exposure to this.

Honestly PYP is happy time for students, but MYP is very demanding.  Some students (and even parents) may not be aware of the change and may continue to "hea" for quite sometime in MYP, and this will soon be reflected in their report cards.

24#
發表於 12-11-7 12:16 |只看該作者
IBDP students are required to write a theory of knowledge essay (between 1200 and 1600 words) on one of the 6 titles prescribed by IBO.  Below is 2 of the prescribed titles for 2013:

1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?
2. "Only seeing general patterns can give us knowledge.  only seeing particular examples can give us understanding." To what extent do you agree with these assertions?

I find these really really difficult.

The essay wil be marked based on 4 assessment criteria.  If a IBDP student want to get high mark, he/she needs to know exactly what should be covered in the essay.

The MYP follows the same system and the MYP students will get used to the DP assessment method.

25#
發表於 12-11-7 13:05 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

I like those questions!  Thought provoking and no cookie cutter answers.

My kids are too very far away from IBDP.  What I worry about most is the gaps that they will have to jump through from MYP to DP.  DP seems to be the equivalent if not sometimes more difficult than AP courses in US high schools.  So should be at first year college level.

點評

slamai  Yes, CUHK will give advance credits to IB DP entrants who can save upto one year of study!  發表於 12-11-8 14:21
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

26#
發表於 12-11-7 13:35 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 12-11-7 13:05
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

I like those questions!  Thought provoking and no cookie cutter answers.

This is my concern too!  I heard comments that DP students find 1st year university easy (hope this is true).

27#
發表於 12-11-7 13:38 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

More time to socialize, make friends, adjust to university and enjoy the experience!
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

28#
發表於 12-11-7 13:41 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

The questions are good but very difficult to most students.  I am sure those who could answer well this kind of questions would do very well in the University.  The question is how to train them at DP stage to answer this kind of questions.

點評

slamai  Through prior MYP education ...  發表於 12-11-8 14:22

29#
發表於 12-11-7 13:41 |只看該作者
licpd 發表於 12-11-7 10:36
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

what I tend to think is the academic rigor of an IB school could be just as  ...

Teachers' quality does affect a lot.  PYP and MYP gives certain flexibility to teachers in designing details of each unit or how a subject is to be taught.  Nowadays, any IB school in HK is competing with IB schools globally in recruiting teachers.

30#
發表於 12-11-7 13:46 |只看該作者
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

Thanks.  My kid is in the final year of PYP.  We have so much concern on whether he would be well in MYP.  Any tips on preparing him this year?

31#
發表於 12-11-7 14:40 |只看該作者
cherubic 發表於 12-11-7 13:46
回復 poonseelai 的帖子

Thanks.  My kid is in the final year of PYP.  We have so much concern on whe ...

Hi Cherubic

I am still learning.  Teachers suggest that the following would help:

1. Time management - this is very important.  Teachers may give 1 or 2 weeks time for students to complete assignments/homework.  Students should plan ahead and don't wait until the last minute to start working.  I heard that some students, even early MYP years, work till 11 or 12 at night.  In most cases it is because they have under-estimated the time required or start too late.

2. Attention in class - some students may think they can read the materials at home.  That's wrong.  Class time is essential.  I always remind my daughters to pay attention in class.

3. Parents show interest in what they are learning.  Ask them to tell you what's going on.  If they can tell you clearly, that means they understand.  Discuss news and current affairs with them.  It is important to connect what they have learned at school to real life (again, this is not easy).

My 2 girls' main weakness is Math.  One of the reasons is that they have not done enough exercises during PYP and so the foundation is not strong enough.  In MYP students need to write conclusion or their observation in addition to doing the Math calculation.  So, if they can finish the calculation part quicker, they have more time to do the writing.  Now I buy extra exercises for them to do at home, but............. asking them to do extra work is not always easy.

點評

cherubic  Thanks.  發表於 12-11-7 22:50

32#
發表於 12-11-7 18:09 |只看該作者
回復 manstap 的帖子

笔者分列各校的成绩比较,而做出对開辦PYP與MYP的學校,所提出根基的迷思,是有点本未倒置. 因为:

1) ESF 还是要学生修讀GCSE 是为了迎合英澳家庭的孩子往英国念大学或高中的需要.
2) ESF 和 其他一流名校的中学课程内,早已渗入不少IB MYP的学习理念和元素, 好使及早准备DP.特别是ESF, 基本是小学已有类似PYP, MYP的教材.
3) 滬江維多利亞學校,啟思中學 - 每年想跳槽转校往ESF, 和其他IS或名校的数量不少, 留下的可能只有少部分是精英, 这样的不利条件下而怀疑其成绩不彰的理由是PYP與MYP的课程问题,是非常武断.
4) 漢基國際學校 - 无论人才,钱财, 是上上条件, 好成绩是正常现象.
5) IB一條龍的啟新書院是新校, 主要卖点是中文好, 开校只不过是七八年, 孩子不是从小一学PYP MYP 的,学生种类还是五湖四海的, 即时要跟传统念IS 或名校生比拼成败.甚为不公.
6) 还有United World College Singapore 是从小一PYP, MYP 开始的, 成绩好到不得了. (比LPCUW更好)
7) IB名校李寶椿聯合世界書院的学生是经过挑选, 入得去的已经是非常合适念IB DP 的, 这点能力不是天生的, 反而是受原来学校和家庭教育所芬陶的

综合而言, 真的不认同笔者提出各校的成绩差异是PYP MYP 根本不稳之说.

注:本人並没有孩子念PYP MYP 

點評

slamai    發表於 12-11-8 14:28
Shootastar  Good comments.  發表於 12-11-7 18:38

33#
發表於 12-11-7 19:21 |只看該作者
回復 annie40 的帖子

對生菓報的報導,不用太上心。

點評

annie40  I hate people spreading wrong concepts and theories around that may arise confusion to young inexperienced parents.  發表於 12-11-8 11:57
swat    發表於 12-11-8 10:31
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

34#
發表於 12-11-7 19:33 |只看該作者
annie40 發表於 12-11-7 18:09
回復 manstap 的帖子
Hi annie40, I was wondering whether your 3rd remarks is based on facts you know or hearsay or simply your wild guess.  It seems to me that this remarks may not be fair to current students of these schools.

35#
發表於 12-11-7 20:59 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

36#
發表於 12-11-7 21:48 |只看該作者

回覆:lui 的帖子

其實咩叫根基扎實呢?我唔明?

37#
發表於 12-11-7 21:59 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+DonaldTsang+於+12-11-06+發

原帖由 Babybaby2011 於 12-11-07 發表
I have the same thinking too!  Thanks for sharing!
謝謝

38#
發表於 12-11-7 22:04 |只看該作者

引用:IBDP+students+are+required+to+write+a+th

原帖由 poonseelai 於 12-11-07 發表
IBDP students are required to write a theory of knowledge essay (between 1200 and 1600 words) on one ...
Frankly it's quite for us as parents who were from traditional school which we are not trained to think. What's more it is even more difficult than our papers in university. Remember the students are only aged 15-17 and are required to write almost 1500 words which when comparing to our time being a hkcee student only need. To write 200 or 300 words at most, so I believe IBDP is a good training of thinking.

39#
發表於 12-11-7 22:36 |只看該作者
The way IB approaches learning is different from traditonal teaching. Just want to share some blogs I came across on how IB teachers teach IB subjects. it might be eye opening for people from traditional school.
http://inquiryblog.wordpress.com ... g-and-beyond-facts/
http://authenticinquirymaths.blogspot.com.au/

40#
發表於 12-11-7 22:55 |只看該作者
licpd 發表於 12-11-7 22:36
The way IB approaches learning is different from traditonal teaching. Just want to share some blogs  ...

Thanks for sharing.  Any parents interested to know more about PYP should have a look at the blog.  
‹ 上一主題|下一主題