搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 Ying Wa Vs St. Paul boys
樓主: DOTCOMO
go

Ying Wa Vs St. Paul boys [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 08-11-22 13:05 |只看該作者
My son is studying P.1 in YW also.

The complaint I have so far is the arrangement of school transport.  My son is picked up at first stop and alight at last, i.e. 0630 and 1540 hrs.

However, I found it is worthwhile as my boy was trained to do his HW fast given the limited of time and could be finished within two hours or less.  It is hard to tell it is a lot as teacher will give lesser HW after test or dictation.  Then he would have a break to fool around.

The standard of English is high at least the story book is carefully selected.  For the last book "The Quest", it is of level six(in England but I do not know how it refer to).  

For the Mathmatic lesson, it is taliored made in house with consultation to professor in college.  It is not hard but could build strong foundation to kids in the long term.  The school had organized a talk to parents about the syllabus of Maths alone.  The professor had delievered a talk to parents and answered queries.  Tough my boy already knew "X and /" before P.1, I don't feel it is waste of time in following the class, as I am aware that a solid base is more importance than paper drill.

For after school activities, there are more than ten sport/interest group to choose from on Sat.  You do not have to pay more and enjoy the school discount on music, sport etc.

My boy's schedule is loaded with school works, after school private tutoring, sport, music and sunday church lesson.  I am sure I will depressed if I was him.  
However, I ask him if he feel boring to go to YW six days a week and he said he love the school very much.:;pppp:

[ 本帖最後由 smartcar 於 08-11-22 13:08 編輯 ]

42#
發表於 08-11-24 17:47 |只看該作者
Luckily, my son got the offer from both YW & SPC.

We attended the talk by SPC last Friday and were quite disappointed. The presentation of the management and those senior teachers were very traditional and sounded like "unwilling / inactive to change".  We fully understand that SPC is a traditional school and somehow we appreciate its traditional values & culture. However, the attitude, wordings and presentations we've seen/ heard in the talk were very "Do-36; Not do-36".

I trust that the English standard of SPC should be good while it's "safe" to choose a so-called "traditional famous school". However, when I think of the situation where my son has to be supervised under such an "inactive" and "not energetic at all" atmosphere, will he have a happy school life?

Am I "misunderstanding" SPC? Could anyone give share opinion? Anyone, who attended the talk last Fri or current SPC parents, share your views?

Thanks a lot!

43#
發表於 08-11-24 21:26 |只看該作者
Bilobi,

Sorry to say that I got the same feeling like you after attending the school's P.1 seminar last week. Therefore I can make my decision quicker. Select Ying Wah rather than St.Paul's boys at the end.

44#
發表於 08-11-24 21:45 |只看該作者
Hi Bilobi and 2046,
So both of you are going to take the offer of YW and give up St Paul Boys?
Are you living in Kowloon side?
I attended St Paul Boys briefing last Fri...your observation is quite true...
One thing was very disappointed for me was that I asked the teacher who lead the school visit some questions, but it turned out he just did not want to answer my question and had no patience to listen or chatting with us! Maybe I just asked the wrong person...I saw the other female teacher discussing happily with other parents...Hope the reaction of this teacher is just an isolated case.

45#
發表於 08-11-24 23:03 |只看該作者
Chunchunmommy,

Before I applied for these two schools, it's really difficult for me to select. I even got preference towards St.Paul's boy as it has longer history. But after we have gone through the interviews conducted by the two schools and how the respective headmistress interviewed the candidates, I got quite a different feeling. But I tried to tell myself maybe I got a wrong perception. But after attending the seminar on Friday, I have made a decision. To be honest, I'm quite disappointed with the culture of the school. The whole setting of the briefing is "amazing". Maybe I expect too much because it's a DSS school since 2003 already. But the progress of the school to catch the current trend like other DSS schools is relatively slow. I believe it's a good school too. However, I guess my son will be more happy to study at Ying Wah because it suits my child and my expectation more.  I don't care too much about the location as long as it's a good school. Also, I don't agree with the headmistress's theory about the total useless of phonics.  I can only comment that primary school students may need more advanced approach to learn English skills. I like CKY and St.Stephen's good language environment. Therefore, I consider St.Paul's boys may be, as the headmistress described, too traditional for me. These are just my feeling after attending the P.1 briefing and its interviews. But you know, for all these comparison, it depends very much on the schools you're comparing, the personality of your child and your own expectation. With different school combinations, the result may be different.

Just like LS and DBS also got different fans. You may need to know what you want to pursue for your child. You can go and browse the web site of Ying Wah and you will know this school more. Also, listen to what the existing parents commented particularly those being accepted last year.

46#
發表於 08-11-24 23:31 |只看該作者
Thanks for your sharing.
These two schools give me two total different impression.
YW is more energetic and SPCPS is "traditional". Of course, these two types of schools have her own fans...It all depends on what kind of primary school life we are expecting for our boys.
I must say that Ms Lam of YW has her charisma while Mrs Chan of SPCPS is a very "traditional" educator. From her speech given during the briefing, you can sense that she has her own belief in education pilosophy.
It seems that the information I gathered tends to suggest me that if you want a happy and caring school life, then go for YW. As for SPCPS, the academic standard is good! So many ppl told me that SPC is better than YW college...

47#
發表於 08-11-25 01:20 |只看該作者
你們的討論勾起了去年今日我有着你們的uncertain,你們對st paul boy 和 yw 的點分析,每個感受,像是重演我的經歷,令我忍不住分享一點。

我的兒子是今年的小一生,我們為兒子shortlist 了最後這2間小学。經過不知多少回的debate, information serach, 最終選擇了英華。原因....

1. My boy was inspired by Mrs Lam so much.
2. My boy was impressed by the school building.
3. The presentation for P1 parent's orientation to introduce the symbus and is professional (precise, interesting, goal setting and organised)
4. YW demonstrated the strong team work in the school.  Mrs Lam and all the subject teachers presented to be dedicated and devoted.
5. Location
6. School Time  (YW day off at 2:30 pm)
7. Canteen cooking instead of lunch box outsourcing.

My boy started his primary life for 3 months.  The change is great to him and it is not easy for him to accomodate.  So, please consider this for your child and you should get a school that he loves, enjoys and provides him the best package in terms of transportation, timing.....

The competition in YW is keen.  You know, all selected boys were shortlisted from the best of 1800.  Therefore, it is not easy to be the first in the class.  For example in my son's class, 2/3 of the class can get mark with over 90+ for ALL subjects (chinese, english, math and general studies) in the 1st assessment.  But if you are not eager for that, it is for sure that all children's ability is high, they should have positive influence among themselves.  Parents so far are nice and educated.

Teachers in the school is another key reason that I take YW. The teachers there are relative "young look" and engertic.  They demonstrated their enjoyment in the school and always have smile on the face.  Getting know of them, their skill is not so "young" and they are capable to train up the boys.

I once wondered whether I'm too silly to give up St Paul Boys, but knowing my son is so desire to be a YW boys, I believed at least it is a good choice for him.  

For the parents, both schools are excellent and what you need to do is to take the one with style that your boy and your family fit.  I remembered Mrs Lam of YW reminded the parent, not to choose the school because it is "famous" and "good", but choose the one that have the same value and style you fit, otherwise, you and your child may not accomodate well which affect the situation and outcome.      

原帖由 chunchunmommy 於 08-11-24 23:31 發表
Thanks for your sharing.
These two schools give me two total different impression.
YW is more energetic and SPCPS is "traditional". Of course, these two types of schools have her own fans...It a ...

48#
發表於 08-11-25 07:58 |只看該作者
Abmum, thanks for your sharing. Just want to add one more point for parents' consideration. Many people consider that the academic standard of SPC is higher than Ying Wah. But don't forget that not until 2007, ie. last year, Ying Wah has changed to a DSS school. I experienced how headmistress Lam selected candidates this year and I'm pretty sure that she carefully selects the background of parents as well because she places great emphasis on the influence of parents on their children. Therefore, I guess the future academic standard of Ying Wah students will be high and this school has great potential and room for improvement. Once headmistress Lam can establish everything for the school, even she will retire 5 to 6 years later, I don't think the school will collapse. But of course, we need her right now.

I remember that last year's P.1 admission of Ying Wah was very chaotic, particularly when the school has to go through three interviews and the schedule is so tight. The school still adopted traditional means to post the interview letters. But this year, the school responded by posting all the results online. From the submission of application forms to every details of the interview, I'm quite satisfied. Therefore, I found that this school has the ability to cope with changes.

Please forgive me if my words make any people unhappy. Just a sharing of my feelings only. I also love St.Paul's boys but it's time for the school to make improvement quickly. I can see the improvement of SPC in recent years. But it's just too slow.

I love the post of LS+MCS in another thread. My son also prayed over these few months. But we only ask for a "suitable school" arranged by the God but not a particular school.

No matter which school you will select at the end - SPC or Ying Wah, they are good schools indeed. Don't worry.

49#
發表於 08-11-25 23:15 |只看該作者
Abmum and 2046,
Thanks for your sharing. Both schools are good schools and we have to make use of the "entry" ticket to get our boys well prepared for the future studies.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題