密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Interesting Observation of ESF and RC
樓主: Aerosol_Ma
go

Interesting Observation of ESF and RC [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 10-9-22 19:00 |只看該作者
I am not familiar with LPC and CIS but I know they are very good schools.  HOWEVER, as someone has mentioned that one has to be good at both arts and science subjects in order to get good resulsts at IB, may be pupils wl have an advantage if they start PYP and MYP when they are young.  So my wishful thinking is if your child starts from PYP and MYP, then he might get good results at IB.  Of course, hardworking is a must as well.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

42#
發表於 10-9-22 19:49 |只看該作者
原帖由 Mighty 於 10-9-22 19:00 發表
I am not familiar with LPC and CIS but I know they are very good schools.  HOWEVER, as someone has mentioned that one has to be good at both arts and science subjects in order to get good resulsts at  ...

That's quite an interesting question, why LPC's students got so high score in IBD while a lot of them come from top traditional local schools who have not gone through PYP/MYP training?

And, many IS worldwide do not use PYP/MYP in primary and secondary and only offer IBD in the last 2 years.   So it seems to me that top students are always top no matter under what programs they are trained, and not really sure if students trained under PYP/MYP all through will do better in IBD.

醒目開學勳章

43#
發表於 10-9-22 23:08 |只看該作者
原帖由 WYmom 於 10-9-22 18:06 發表
I won't just look at results of IBD, as usually there are many new students moving in and out to IS from local schools at Y12.  In the past, usually the more capable ones from local schools will cho ...

Of course we would look at the results of IBD. However, I would say we should not judge a school only by looking at the results.

But I think we should look at the statistics with an open mind. The results are that some other schools are better than ESF. I am afraid this is a fact. I do not think we should dismiss this fact because we do not like it. Rather, why don't we try to see whether we can learn from them.

As far as I know Yew Chung (no offence) has never been a top school and they do not exactly choose their students. Yet they are doing better than ESF. There must be something that they are doing that we are not.

[ 本帖最後由 Darth 於 10-9-22 23:15 編輯 ]

醒目開學勳章

44#
發表於 10-9-22 23:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 Mighty 於 10-9-22 19:00 發表
I am not familiar with LPC and CIS but I know they are very good schools.  HOWEVER, as someone has mentioned that one has to be good at both arts and science subjects in order to get good resulsts at  ...

LPC select top students. They are already some of the best students in their own mother schools. My guess would be that, if they had been with the MYP/PYP, they might be even better.

45#
發表於 10-9-22 23:59 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

46#
發表於 10-9-23 00:08 |只看該作者

47#
發表於 10-9-23 08:48 |只看該作者
原帖由 thankful 於 10-9-23 00:08 發表
Taking LPC's latest result as an example, out of the total of 128 students, 59 of them were said to be "HK Students".  Exactly how many of them actually came from local schools?

Thankful,

I have visited LPC before and talked to some students - mainly HK top students from local schools (You know LPC only have 2 years of IBD) and so understand the very selective admission process and the mix of students etc.  LPC basically select the best students locally and from Asia and most students got in by scholarship.  I don't have the nos, I believe you can check from the school if you are interested.

Darth,

I have also visited Yew Chung before.  I think they attract more better students now with the new campus.  Besides, they have run IBD for many years, while all ESF schools starts IBD only for 1 or a few years (varies for different schools).  There is of course much room for ESF to improve.  What I mean is that I will look at both GCSE and IBD, students nos, sources etc, not just IBD.  And as IBD is new to us, we have to understand IBD more to help our kids select the right subjects and levels with the right strategies to get better results.  Even ESF admitted that they have not done the IB results predictions for students very well, so there were some mismatches.

I think all these won't affect students still in primary schools now, but just affect our kids who will be taking IBD in the next few years.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 10-9-23 08:52 編輯 ]

48#
發表於 10-9-23 17:54 |只看該作者

回覆 1# WYmom 的文章

FIS average is 36 with 25 or so students.

Hk students from local schools could have advantage if they choose subject carefully, we all know many good students in hk are good at maths, physics, chemistry biology ( in my days that is the secrete tool for getting into oversea universities) - they need absolute answer and have no pure discussion. But I would think they may not be good in language but still have good chance.

Ib mark boundary I found from Internet:
To get 7 marks, you have to achieve the following-
Math hl >77-81
math sl > 86~83

Phy hl sl >69~71
chem hl sl 79~81
bio sl hl 79~80

Econ sl hl 72~75
history >72
geo > 70

Chinese A2 >82 for h

English A1 > 80 for hl
English A2>82 for hl, > 81 sl

If I were ib student with local background but in IS, I would choose
Group 1:
Group 2:
Group 3: econ, aim at 7 marks
Group 4: physics,aim at 7 marks
Group 5: math, aim at 7 marks
Group 6: choose from group 4, said chem, aim at 7 marks

I might be just so so for EE and TOK, but I already secure 28 marks without group 1 which is world literature or group 2, even I got 5 in these 2 groups, I would still got 10+28=38.

But this only works with that breed of local students who are at at science subjects.

if one is very average, I would need to find another strategy and try to get higher marks from arts/humanity subjects, or try hard to average out- 5x6=30 if I got another 3=33.

so I think one needs to know what he/she  wants to study in university, choose subjects he/she is best at and work really hard if IB is chosen.

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 10-9-23 18:15 編輯 ]

49#
發表於 10-9-24 10:04 |只看該作者

回覆 1# mattsmum 的文章

@mattsmum,

I like your analyse!  I would bear it in mind.

50#
發表於 10-9-24 22:18 |只看該作者

回覆 1# Radiomama 的文章

this is my speculation why some local students do well in IB. I guess hk students are really good at exam.

醒目開學勳章

51#
發表於 10-9-26 16:55 |只看該作者
原帖由 mattsmum 於 10-9-23 17:54 發表
Ib mark boundary I found from Internet:
To get 7 marks, you have to achieve the following-
Math hl >77-81
math sl > 86~83

Phy hl sl >69~71
chem hl sl 79~81
bio sl hl 79~80

Econ sl hl 72~75
history >72
geo > 70

Chinese A2 >82 for h

English A1 > 80 for hl
English A2>82 for hl, > 81 sl

Thank you so much for this piece of information.

This makes me wonder even more: what have those "below 30" students been doing all the time?

52#
發表於 10-9-26 17:29 |只看該作者

醒目開學勳章

53#
發表於 10-9-26 17:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 thankful 於 10-9-26 17:29 發表
My friend,

Not every kid is good at studying.  Some are good at sports and music, some are talented in design........   You get some who are above average and there must be others who are below avera ...

thankful,
I do agree everyone has their strong area. But, I think parents should be told what kind of curriculum IB is.
Parents would not know, but the schools do.
They are supposed to be the experts.
And then, when parents know the expectation of IB, they can help decide whether they should really let their children choose IB.
I know some parents are aggressive, and in this case, they should have been warned. If a person is not suitable for IB, may be he should move to another curriculum.
Getting a really low score is not only practically not helping a student going to a decent university, it is also not good for self exteem.
I myself certainly would not let that happen to my child. If I knew that my child would not be possible to handle the IB burriculum, I would immediately pull him out of the IB school.

54#
發表於 10-9-26 17:57 |只看該作者

醒目開學勳章

55#
發表於 10-9-27 15:01 |只看該作者
原帖由 thankful 於 10-9-26 17:57 發表
Darth,

Yes, schools are supposed to be the expert.  But sometimes, when they are new to IB, perhaps they are not as experienced as they should be.  I know it's not an excuse, but it happens.

Likewis ...

thankful,

Actually, I just feel sorry for those students that got really low scores.
I know that some of them probably deserve that because they were lazy. But I know that (I know a few IB students with ESF) some simply got the wrong level of subjects. When I looked at the CDNIS results, I feel sorry for those that were not given a chance to choose a combination of, say, English B + Chinese A...
I did not know much about IB too in the past. The more I read (here in BK or elsewhere in other forum), the more confused I get. But fortunately, there are so many people that are willing to share information and view. Now I know much more.
I just feel quite stressed out.

How about your kid's school? Is is not confirmed that there will only be IBD in the future?

56#
發表於 10-9-27 15:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 Darth 於 10-9-27 15:01 發表

thankful,

Actually, I just feel sorry for those students that got really low scores.
I know that some of them probably deserve that because they were lazy. But I know that (I know a few IB students ...

Hi, Darth,

I think in ESF, students must choose English A1, right?  Not sure whether it is SL or HL.  For choosing the levels of different IB subjects, it is really hard for parents and the school should be able to help the students choose correctly matching their target of universities.  So why are there some students as you said choosing the wrong level of IB subjects?  Do you mean that the school did not advise them correctly?

I think for those who only meet the min. requirements of studying IBD should consider taking alternative diplomas instead of IBD.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 10-9-27 18:08 編輯 ]

57#
發表於 10-9-28 00:36 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題