教育王國 討論區 幼校討論 根德園05 k1家長請進
樓主: appleycma
go

根德園05 k1家長請進 [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 05-3-11 01:52 |只看該作者

Re: 根德園05 k1家長請進

HuiTung & all mamas,

不好意思,真要請教你們了,我已替仔仔registered St. cat & Kentville(both am class)。但到今時仍未能決定,我想到列出仔仔的性格及學習情況,麻煩大家幫忙分析!

我仔快3歲,在救世軍讀N1已半年,自少性格成熟穩定。老師對他的評估昰:獨立成熟,專注力很高(先生說是同齡較少見的表現),溝通、表達及說話能力都很好。有參予但不太投入群体的唱遊及律動,最最喜歡跟老師(不是小朋友)自由傾談及討論的時間。不害羞但很倔強--特別提到是:知錯也不願say sorry!
他是個每事問,經常問大大小小的問題。(which 我覺得是優點)因此先生話他的常識亦算很廣範。
很喜歡閱讀,每天睡前都要看/聽一本故事書。很有興趣找尋已學會的字--約30-40個中文字,及要求我解釋所讀的每個新生字。
但對英文明顯不大興趣,我講英文故事,他很快就表現不專心,可以說幾抗拒。曾經已學會的A-Z現在反而常混亂。

這樣的情況,各位媽媽,我應比仔仔讀Kentville 定St. Cat呢?
我直覺覺得仔仔性格似適合傳統教育,但我真不知道會否使他更自我中心而變得更倔強。
我希望他英文有好的根基,因為他現在的表現,又怕他抗拒St. Cat較多英語的教法。

St. Cat學費較貴,亦是考慮的因素。

Hui Tung & 各位,你們是如何決定棄st. Cat (and other kinders)而選 Kentville 的呢?請指教幫忙,我個頭好大!
  Thanks so much!!!

62#
發表於 05-3-11 10:12 |只看該作者

andrewmama,

63#
發表於 05-3-11 18:24 |只看該作者

Dear all Mum

Don't know if Kentville provides a site visit b4 school?

Anyone can help?

64#
發表於 05-3-12 11:34 |只看該作者

我都想知有無site visit.
另外想問各位知唔知校服要幾錢

kittych0309 寫道:
Dear all Mum

Don't know if Kentville provides a site visit b4 school?

Anyone can help?

65#
發表於 05-3-12 13:03 |只看該作者

陳師奶
校服要等開學先買, 幾多$要問下我朋友先, 你是否囡囡呢?
如果學校無安排, 不如我地自組啦

66#
發表於 05-3-12 17:11 |只看該作者

andrewmama,

Sorry for the late reply as I need to think thoroughly before making the comments.

My comparison between the two kindergartens was based on my personal experience and feedbacks from friends.  There may be bias.

1.  Overall academic standard and requirements - both are high.  I regard them as activity + traditional.  Kentville is no longer a 100% traditional kindy and I don't think SC adopts 100% active learning approach.  The quantity of workload is similar.  We cannot only judge the quantity from what they bring home.  It is because you don't know how much classwork the child has done in school.

2.  English - SC has NET as class teacher in K1 but only provides 1/2 hrs English lesson each day with NET in K2 & K3 (still charges $33XX?!).  The point is if I want a NET throughout my child's kindergarten's life, I would rather choose Victoria or other English kindergartens.  I'm not sure about Kentville's English standard, but it seems it is not bad.  I don't totally rely on the school.  Parents' support and suitable English class (i.e. phonics) are required to booster the child's standard.  I know many SC students attend various English classes outside.

3. Chinese and Maths - obviously enough that Kentville is stronger than SC.  I've once asked comments of the two kindergartens from 2 teachers teaching in an international school.  When they heard SC (they sometimes have SC students studying at their Year 1 (=K3)), they said SC students were not up to the standards.  I'm a bit worried when I heard this.

4. Parental involvement - SC requires this very much.  As I'm a working mother, I'm afraid I could not do too much.  Kentville trains up children to be independent, at least they will do the homework on their own.  I don't have to worry about his homework and can spare the time to do other activities with him.

5. ECAs - some may say it is better for the school to provide ECAs.  My view is that the ECAs provided by the school may not suit individual student's need.  Say if my kid likes Judo but the school only has Taekwondo, I still have to look for a Judo class outside, right?

6. Transparency - I have to admit that SC's communication with parents is better than Kentville.  However, if you come up with problems, I'm sure Kentville's teachers will be there to help.  I think SC knows more what parents need and has no doubt to provide.  Kentville is not that "flexible".

To me, both kindergartens' teaching style has very little difference (SC is a bit more active though).  The child's discipline is what I concern and Kentville can do this (my child is active enough).  From the arrangement of SC's English class from K1 to K3, I don't think it would be too much for your son.  Kentville requires students to give model answers to the questions for exams.  E.g. there should be a cross on the nurse's hat when the kid is asked to draw a picture of a nurse.  If you missed this out, mark would be deducted.  I asked my friend (her daughter is a graduate of Kentville) if this would sound like a factory that children were producing the same product?  She anwered me, "No.  It is just for the exams.  Let your child join some drawing class and you will find he is still a creative little man."        

You may find the above a bit irrelevant to your concern, but I hope it can help sort out your answer.

Regards,

67#
發表於 05-3-13 01:13 |只看該作者

不如我地整個list

BK name / 小朋友名 / 校址 / am or pm
小B維維 / 秦得維 / kent rd / pm

68#
發表於 05-3-13 17:53 |只看該作者

HuiTung,
實在太感謝您的詳盡分析。真正幫到我分析兩校的分別。你所列數點,實在我也有共嗚--尤其:<<As I'm a working mother, I'm afraid I could not do too much. Kentville trains up children to be independent, at least they will do the homework on their own. I don't have to worry about his homework and can spare the time to do other activities with
him>>自己工作時間較長,這真是我常担心的問題—是怕我自己跟不上學校的要求和進度!我也聽聞Kentville是有一套,教導小朋友自覺地做功課和溫習,但我不知是否真的?如真的能達到,我就很放心。

HuiTung,真羨慕您能詳盡分析又果斷決定。我就「朝三暮四」猶疑不決!
你孩子現有讀幼兒園嗎?其實我覺得仔仔現在讀的救世軍真是辦得很好,project approach 成效很顯著,我仔學了很多知識,而且很適合我的工作時間。但是…針無兩頭利…
可能因珠玉在前,我怕為仔仔選錯學校反而得不償失才如此猶豫吧!
我還有少少時間去考處慮,希望我們的孩子能做書友仔!
Thanks again for your help!

69#
發表於 05-3-14 10:59 |只看該作者

小B維維 寫道:
不如我地整個list

Kittych0309 / 王鐘慧 /kent rd/am

70#
發表於 05-3-14 12:36 |只看該作者

不如我地整個list

appleycma/趙鎧傑/kent rd / am

71#
發表於 05-3-14 12:48 |只看該作者

kittych0309 寫道:
陳師奶
校服要等開學先買, 幾多$要問下我朋友先, 你是否囡囡呢?
如果學校無安排, 不如我地自組啦

我個是囝囝, 如果自組site visit, 學校會否批准?

72#
發表於 05-3-14 12:50 |只看該作者

----------------------------------------
陳師奶 / 陳

73#
發表於 05-3-14 13:12 |只看該作者

[quote]
陳師奶 寫道:
陳師奶 / 陳

74#
發表於 05-3-14 14:26 |只看該作者

陳師奶
如果自組, 當然我會問準學校先.

75#
發表於 05-3-14 15:46 |只看該作者

andrewmama,

<我也聽聞Kentville是有一套,教導小朋友自覺地做功課和溫習,但我不知是否真的?>
我親身看倒的實例有兩個, 他們互不相識, 卻又不約而同地告訴我她們的孩子是自己做功課.  這點應可相信.

小兒現在在一所很活動的nursery讀K1.  因他是Nov出生, 到Kentville 時便變大仔, 所以不太擔心讀寫.  但始終自己是在職媽媽, 和孩子相處的時間已不多, 還要跟他為功課去拼, 順利的話也可快點完成, 要不然就大家都不開心, 反而破壞親子關係.  

其實最初找幼稚園時我便留意救世軍了, 它的確很好, 可是要上全日的關係, 放棄了.  既然妳這樣滿意, 為何報Kentville呢?  而我呢?  又不是非要阿仔讀Kentville不可.  要是他讀得不開心, 我也會轉校.  無論你最後的決定是什麼, 我也會支持你的.      

76#
發表於 05-3-14 15:49 |只看該作者

kittych0309,

I'm interested in the site visit.  Please add my name on your list.  

77#
發表於 05-3-14 15:59 |只看該作者

nicki 寫道:
維維, 321>

我個女瑤瑤都會讀kentville pm class (Kent Rd). 唔知會唔會同一班呢,
希望遲d會好似其他kentville家長o甘攪下phonics班或其他興趣班..

nicki,

Yeah.  I hope we can have some outings for the kids in the future.  Good for the kids and parents to "get-to-know" each other.   

78#
發表於 05-3-14 16:09 |只看該作者

andrewmama,

如HuiTung說, 我同事也說他囝囝自動自覺做功課, 他是細仔, 都學到自律in K1,我同事是絕對不操心的, 而他囝囝完全讀得好開心wor, 可想而之,他們不是被迫的!

79#
發表於 05-3-14 17:27 |只看該作者

陳帥奶& HuiTung

I've just contacted with Kentville and sorry they could hardly provide the site visit for us even on SAT.  They usually have meeting that day.  But she said in June, all students need to back school to measure their sizes for school uniforms.

For girl, vest dress $110, For boy, $125

How come no T-shirt under the vest dress. 好容易凍親架, 死啦, 我好少卑bb穿背心出街架!

80#
發表於 05-3-14 17:29 |只看該作者

陳師奶 / 陳
‹ 上一主題|下一主題