教育王國

標題: 請問 RCHK 小學部家長 [打印本頁]

作者: Miclint    時間: 09-1-29 16:31     標題: 請問 RCHK 小學部家長

請 RCHK 小學部家長分享您們對學校和老師的感受。謝謝!
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-2 10:09

Dear RCHK Primary Parents,
Would you share your feelings about the teachers and the primary section of RCHK?
Both positive and negative comments are welcome.
I have no idea about the school and am thinking of putting my child there for P1.
I am therefore sincerely hoping for your sharing.
Thank you.
Miclint
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-2 12:37

Hi Miclint,

My girl is studying in P2 at RCHK. The reason why I put my girl in RCHK is simple and typical. We are tired of the haphazard eduation system managed by our dear government officials.

We are new to ESF and are "third class citizen" in ESF priority. The establishment of RCHK has given us a chance to get "easier" access to ESF albeit the tuition fee is higher than other ESF. Actually, RCHK boasts that they want to nurture their students to be able to appreciate the novels written by 金庸 is a big draw for me.

I can accept that putting my girl in ESF her Chinese will not be as good as other local schools but if she can appreciate 金庸's novels that should be enough for her to manage her own life. Additionally, RCHK uses traditional Chinese character appeals to me. I hate simplified Chinese not because I can't read them but simplified Chinese is a brutal destruction of Chinese culture, espeically Chinese characters.

There are good and not so good teachers in RCHK, like other schools. But so far we appreciate the efforts made by the teaching staff in nurturing my girl. The Head of Primary Mr. Muller always organises seminars and briefing for parents. ESF also gives a hand to RCHK parents. Unfortunately, RCHK is going to miss the Prinicipal at its infant stage as Mr. Peter Kenny was head-hunted to Dubai after this academic year.

RCHK is a new school with no track record. You have to bear this in mind and to not to expect too much. But so far I am satisfied with the school and hope they can do better and better.

I cannot tell you more about it as I am not an active parent. Perhaps, some of the RCHK parents who have taken part in RAPT could share with you more insights.

Gong Xi Fa Cai !

Wingba
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-4 11:45     標題: 回覆 # 的文章

Dear Wingba,

Grateful for your sharing and I really appreciate it. Traditional Chinese and the level of Chinese teacher is also the major and single reason that I am struggling in chosing RC v.s. other ESF schools.

Would you mind share with me how do they teach P2 Chinese at school? Do they have any homework and dictation and how often? What external help/tuition are you giving your girl?

Thanks again.
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-4 16:22

Hi Miclint,

Mandarin is the medium of instruction and my girl learned all the "pinyin" at P1 and the workload is minimal. So far she did three dictations. Each time covered about 10-12 words.

She also has to do one piece of reading on the internet and answer three questions everyday. It is a website developed by CUHK, I thought other local primary schools are also using it. She also got some writing exercise from time to time. The textbook she is using is the same as local P1. About one or two months ago she started to read a Chinese story book every week.

I send her to a Chinese tutorial school once a week. It's quite popular not only among IS students some local students are also attending the school. Besides, I also ask her to write diary everyday though she is writing less Chinese than English in her diary.

So far the Chinese lesson is okay but I don't mind more homework given out to her though.

Like you the only reason I sent her to RCHK is the value of Chinese otherwise I would have taken the offer from ESF Tsing Yi Kinder 4 years ago and enrol in SJS.

Hope the above helps in making up your decision.

Cheers,
作者: Mighty    時間: 09-2-5 10:08

Hi Wingba

Which Chinese tutorial school are you talking about?  Please share.  Tks.
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-5 10:31

Dear Wingba:

Your sharing is really informative and helpful. Would you mind telling what is the "Chinese tutorial school once a week" that you are sending your little girl to? Is it Kumon? Or something else? Sounds that RCHK's Chinese program is really much better than traditional ESF though the traditional ESF are improving. Nevertheless the traditional ESF are still teaching Simplified Chinese!

In fact I have already got SJS' offer a place but haven't yet received offer letter from RC yet, which I know many parents have already got it. So I would listen to the God's answer.

Anyway, please share the "Chinese tutorial school once a week".

Thank you and best to you.

Miclint

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-2-4 16:22 發表
Hi Miclint,

Mandarin is the medium of instruction and my girl learned all the "pinyin" at P1 and the workload is minimal. So far she did three dictations. Each time covered about 10-12 words.

She al ...

作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-5 11:15     標題: 回覆 # 的文章

Hi Miclint,
Not to worry too much.  Although I said I like RC so much, it doesn't mean RC is for sure better than SJS.  You know what? I also applied for SJS but my girl doesn't even have the chance to go for the interview.  I believe it is because my girl is not from ESF kind.  I didn't enroll my girl to ESF kind. because she was too young to take the school bus by herself, although I know the chance for a ESF kind. student to enter ESF Primary school is much bigger.  Anyway, I send my wish to you and hope to hear your good news soon.
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-5 14:38

Dear Purplesea:
Your consolation and encouragement is really appreciated. Thank you. In fact, two ESF teachers have recommended me SJS over RC respectively. It's just myself who values high RC's level and attitude towards learning Chinese language. I trust the God for the decision for my son.
Sincerely,
Miclint

原帖由 PurpleSea 於 09-2-5 11:15 發表
Hi Miclint,
Not to worry too much.  Although I said I like RC so much, it doesn't mean RC is for sure better than SJS.  You know what? I also applied for SJS but my girl doesn't even have the chance t ...

作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-5 15:01

Hi Miclint,

The Chinese tutorial school is called Society of Genesis. You may log on to their website to learn more about the classes:

www.societyofgenesis.com.hk

I am interested in learning more about the advice that the ESF teachers mentioned in your message on comparing RCHK and SJS. Could you also share with me so that I may "push" RCHK to further improve itself?

Cheers,
作者: JYFC    時間: 09-2-5 15:05

Dear Wingba/ or other RC parents,
Since I don't know any students from RC, our information abt this school is very limited. Do you mind telling us a bit more about the school such as:

- how's the proportions of local chinese student compare with westerns in RC?

- how about the proportions of Native English speaking teacher in RC? When we went the BHS, we can feel a very strong English speaking atmosphere. Whereas for RC, my exposure is just limited to the reception area & it seems like they are more locals.

- Do the students speak English or Cantonese outside class?

- It mentioned on the RC website that even primary students will have one to one access to the computer. Is that mean the children are using their own computer for all lessons.

Sorry for asking so many questions.
作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-5 15:06

Hi Miclint,

Yes, i want to know too........   please share.   I want to know beside a long school history, why SJS is a lot better than RC.   Thank you.
作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-5 15:17     標題: 回覆 # 的文章

Miclint, would you pls share with us?
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-5 15:57

Dear all Parents:

I am happy to share what I heard but first of all let me make it clear that anything I am going to share here doesn't mean to offend any RC or pro-RC or other ESF parents. I myself is a pro-RC to certain extent. And I am a new comer in sending international schooling.

An ex-BHS primary teacher told me that if I had the opportunity to chose between both SJS and RC, I basically don't need to wait further. Definitely SJS. Especially if I planned to continue at Shatin College. She said that Shatin ESF is probably the best amongst all ESF schools in Hong Kong. SJS' teaching staff are far more mature and qualified and experienced. She said that RC is a 'commercial' school. RC is going to share (let) part of its campus to GSIS primary as GSIS needs to renovate their campus and will be moving to RC for 4 years! RC doesn't have subsidy from government and is always have to consider financial the first thing. Another ESF educational services English program teacher (running at RC) told me that the resources at RC sounds better but it in fact is limited to the hardware especially the I.T. side. The 'software' side is weaker. She said that the library books at RC are fewer (I think she means those suitable for primary students). She commented that RC has put too much emphasis on I.T. which in fact we don't need it so much in learning and students are mostly abuse of computer and Internet. But she pointed out that so far there is nothing really bad heard about the school. An ESF education assistant (lady in her late 20's who had worked at both SJS and RC respectively before) told me that she likes the kids at SJS more as they behave more humble and sincere than the kids at RC. The SJS kids show more respect to teachers. A bigger portion of RC kids are more 沙陳.

That's all. Feel free to comment and exchange your views but don't challenge me as I am just a listener of the above comments. I will not debate. Perhaps some of you can share any observable and known short-comings of SJS too.

I personally think value RC's respect and attitude towards teacher and learning Chinese language.

Thank you.
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-5 16:04

Dear Wingba: thanks a lot for your kind sharing.

Sincerely,
Miclint

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-2-5 15:01 發表
Hi Miclint,

The Chinese tutorial school is called Society of Genesis. You may log on to their website to learn more about the classes:

www.societyofgenesis.com.hk

I am interested in learning more a ...

作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-5 16:32

This is just my personally opinion and not asking for any debate.

I personally don’t agree with this:

“She commented that RC has put too much emphasis on I.T. which in fact we don't need it so much in learning and students are mostly abuse of computer and Internet.”

My child is in Year 2 and my relative’s child is in Year 4, but I don’t see the school has put too much emphasis on computer or internet.

“RC doesn't have subsidy from government and is always have to consider financial the first thing”

Other ESF school parents always complain that RC is actually getting more resources.
RC has smaller class, free activities, better campus, more Chinese lessons.
If RC consider financial as the first thing, RC can follow other ESF with only one or two Chinese lessons per week.

原帖由 Miclint 於 09-2-5 15:57 發表
Dear all Parents:

I am happy to share what I heard but first of all let me make it clear that anything I am going to share here doesn't mean to offend any RC or pro-RC or other ESF parents. I myself  ...

作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-5 16:49

我去過SJS & RC 嘅 school tour.  I like RC 嘅 staff 多D.  而且我鍾意RC教繁體中文.
作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-5 16:52

However I do concern if RC is going to share the campus with GSIS.  Where can I confirm that information?
作者: JYFC    時間: 09-2-5 16:58

I just went to the website of GSIS, the temp campus doesn't look like RC. Is there any chance it is the school next to RC?!??
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-5 17:11

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-5 17:13

計我話 RC 和 SJS 兩間都係好多人想入都入唔到o既好學校,入到其中一間都係上天的恩賜呵!
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-5 17:21

作者: hysterical    時間: 09-2-5 17:57

Just like to share my experience with RC.

The teachers are very caring and highly qualified. They are recruited from all over the world, and are experienced in teaching the IB curriculum.

The students are mostly from HK. I would say about 80% of the students are local kids. Most of them have been attending international schools since kindergarten so the English level is very high. Most of them are also fluent in Chinese, and this is also helpful in their  language development.

They started using the computer quite early, especially for reading. Laptops are available in each year level hub. In Year 4, they learned to use the powerpoint for presentation, and they also used Word to publish a writing assignment. They have their own email account, and homework is sometimes given out by email. This is increasingly important as they move onto secondary school.

The school is already at full capacity for primary and near full for secondary. I would find it impossible to house the entire GSIS primary school on the same campus.

Is RC the best school? I don't know and I am not sure if there is one. But I can tell you that my kid is very happy at the school. He is challenged everyday and he is learning at his best. He has improved in every way since transferring there two years ago.

Good luck with your school search everyone!
作者: almom    時間: 09-2-5 17:58

I am an RC parent. I do not want to "challenge" anyone. Anyone has his own views and feelings. I am sure Miclint's source has her standing. However, it would appear that Miclint's source does not know RC well enough and I do need to make a few comments or clarifications:

(1) RC is an IB school and our teachers are all IB qualified/approved teachers. According to a western friend who used to be an IS primary school teacher in Hong Kong, RC is in fact rapidly gaining reputation and respects from amongst teachers local and abroad. A lot of teachers are interested in teaching at RC because of the attractive package they offer. As far as I heard from different sources (both from the school and my own friends), the schools have lots of candidates to choose from.

(2) RC does not have the best IT facilities in Hong Kong and we do not have that much emphasis on IT. Students do have their own school email account. They do have easy access to the school computers. There are Mac computers around the campus where students can use (for school related work). Secondary students are allowed and encouraged to bring their own Macbook to school., but can loan one from the school if they do not have their own notebook computer. And this is about it. In this era, when we are no longer using typewriters, computers are the only and most convenient alternative to typing up papers or homework. I do not see how anyone can effectively finish a 2000 word paper without using a computer. May be parents can judge whether this is "too much emphasis".

(3) 沙陳? Wow, what an old phrase to use to describe a person. All I would say is that I disagree that RC kids are 沙陳.

(4) Beside the central library, we have a lot of books in the classrooms and and hub areas (the sitting area shared by the whole year level). I do not know who has got more books. I would not be surprised if we have fewer books because we are a new school and it takes time to build up a library. But my child has never complained of not having good books to read. Further, I notice that the school is always buying new books, and a lot of parents are donating new books to the library.

Lastly, I must say again that SJS and SC are very good schools indeed.
作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-5 20:27

原帖由 Miclint 於 09-2-5 17:13 發表
計我話 RC 和 SJS 兩間都係好多人想入都入唔到o既好學校,入到其中一間都係上天的恩賜呵!

wowow looks like we have a long discussion here today. I agreed if your kid can get into either RC or SJS, both are good primary schools but with different style. Take either one you won't feel regret. For me I only consider if my school is close to where we lived, so I am still waiting for CWBS....

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-5 21:05 編輯 ]
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-6 09:13

Thank you for sharing, Miclint.

I would also take this opportunity to ask other RC parents not to tak this comments too personal as RC is a new school I embrace the risk that involved in sending my girls there.

Other parents have already sent their feedbacks and they are reasonable and fair.

In HK's environment parents are always choose to play safe and it is nothing wrong with it. The comments that you shared should be taken as reference when we are talking to the school management how to make RCHK better and better.

SJS is indeed a very good school with proven track records. It sets the benchmark for RCHK to catch up with and there is nothing RCHK cannot do to move up to what SJS is now enjoying.

Let's strive for excellence with the school

原帖由 Miclint 於 09-2-5 15:57 發表
Dear all Parents:

I am happy to share what I heard but first of all let me make it clear that anything I am going to share here doesn't mean to offend any RC or pro-RC or other ESF parents. I myself  ...

作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-6 09:17

Dear JYFC,

I trust you got most of the answers from other RC parents.

As there are more than 80% of the students are local students you can hear cantonese everywhere. I used to ask my girl not to talk in cantonese so often but most of her classmates speak cantonese during break time, it doesn't worth it to make herself the odd one out.

Yet, as her class has students from Australia, Korea, Sri-Lanka and US and she always play with them the only effective means of communication is English so be it.

原帖由 JYFC 於 09-2-5 15:05 發表
Dear Wingba/ or other RC parents,
Since I don't know any students from RC, our information abt this school is very limited. Do you mind telling us a bit more about the school such as:

- how's the pro ...

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 09:41

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 09:51

作者: hhy2007    時間: 09-2-6 11:39

edexp,

You have a point in suggesting RC take measures to enforce the policy of only speaking English in campus.  This measure may attract more parents.  

My daughter started her international schooling in Shanghai American School when she was three and a half.  Her class teacher required her students to speak only English in campus. In particular, the class teacher made sure that only English was spoken to those students who were not good at English in order to help them catch up as fast as possible. This worked out well. However, such kind of unofficial policy is based on the mutual understanding between parents and school that there is no discrimination on Cantonese involved.   

As to RC's teaching team, to doubt their qualification and educational experiences is unfair.  They are definitely no inferior to SJS's teaching team, if some people want a comparison. RC is quite transparent in presenting its teaching team.  It posted its teachers' background together with their photos on the website.  To me, RC teachers' caring image is standing out by one anecdote that my daughter's teacher used her own money to buy imported chapter books for all her class students as Christmas gift. We knew she doesn't have to do so, and we were totally touched.  

Speaking of RC library, I also noticed that books were not sufficient as I expected.  However, we can always go to HK public library to make it up.  So it's not an issue to me.  

It's so hard to compare RC and SJS at this stage.  In a sense that English proficiency is one major criteria in the selection process for SJS while RC demands more than English proficiency, I figure RC will sooner or later stand out pretty well in its students' academic performance.
作者: jjd    時間: 09-2-6 12:30

True, Cantonese is more commonly heard in RC than any other ESF schools.  However, the fact that "Cantonese can be heard anywhere" during breaks is definitely NOT the case.  There are kids that prefer Cantonese or English.  There are kids that don't have particular preference but would speak different languages when interacting with different school mates.  

Quite a number of parents I know have approached Mr. Kenny suggesting the school to take more stringent meaures of enforcing an English speaking only policy.  However, he and some of the teaching staff were of the view that children should be free to express themselves in a language that they feel most comfortable.  This is really something that a lot of parents, including myself, are not too happy about.

There is however, one interesting fact that that I note about the reading skills of the lower primary kids.  Almost all the non-Chinese/mixed kids possess the poorest reading skills among their classmates.  Those that are able to read chapter books in years 1 and 2 are ALL Chinese (local) kids.  Those foreign kids who speak perfectly fluent English are only reading ORT Level 2-4 books in years 1 and 2.  I think parents should not be obsessed with having the large proportion of foreign kids in the school.  Local kids might be weaker in their spoken English but they still have their strengths.  They also possess far better mathematical skills and a higher academic standard on average.
作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-6 13:36

Bear in mind:

Traditional ESF is called English School Foundation... so you should expect they ask your kid to speak English within the school. And to intake Native English Speaker is their no.1 goal, and they still get subsidies from the HKSAR Gov't, which this is a requirement.

For RC, though under ESF umberlla, but they are under IB, which encourgae multi-lingual environment and focus also on mother tongue. And also they are a PIS which made them less restriction in recruiting new students

If you can consider the above factors, and send your kid to the correct school, both you and your kids life will be easier and happier.

Hope this help!
作者: 肥騫    時間: 09-2-6 14:38

Hi all parents,

Thanks for all your comments. It really helps a lot, especially to the parents that comparing RC with other IS, like me.

My son is still in kinder stage and I'm interested in RC also. I'm now thinking if I need to send my child to IS kinder in order to get him into RC (or IS). The only thing that hinders me is that he can't learn any chinese in IS kinder.

So, could RC/ other IS parents suggest me if I really need to send my son to IS kinder? Can you tell me your children/ classmates' kinder profiles?

Many thanks
作者: maumiu    時間: 09-2-6 14:57

me too!
My son is now in Boxhill nursery class and he just received the offer from EFS (Wu kai Sha) kinder. We are now struggling whether we need to transfer him from Boxhill to EFS if we just targeting on RC.

Any comment?
作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-6 16:05

Again you can't get both sides of the world. If you want to study in IS like RC or other ESF, etc, you need to put you kid in IS Kinder. I see some other local kinder also teach Chi & Eng at the same time, but once you have interviews in IS for year 1, you will know this may be a disadvantage. Some IS will fail applicants who speak chinese during the interview.

So make up your mind where you want to send you kid to, and then prepare. Honestly speaking to teach you kid do some many things while they are only 3-4 is very hard to them. I see some parents sending their kids to have IS Kinder in AM then local kinder in PM, saying that this will help them learn both Chinese and English. I told you what your kid need while they were still very young are, LOVE, and SLEEP.......zzzzzzzz
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 16:08

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 16:16

作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-6 16:32

"I am not sure how many number of Chinese lessons in RC primary and also SJS. I don't think the number differ too much - right?"

The number of class is totally different.   The chinese lessons in SJS is only 1 or 2 lessons per week, and they all need to have extra chinese class outside.   For RC,   they have chinese lessons everyday and they have several levels according to the student's ability.   Like my child, he is in the advance class. They are using local school P1 book and they have dictation today for the words like 藍色, 巳經 etc. I think you should make a school visit and understand more first.
作者: Annie123    時間: 09-2-6 16:51

作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-6 17:10

I agreed with Annie123.

When I was studying in the US high school, many classmates spoke perfect english at school and also spoke Spanish when at home or after school.   They considered Spanish as their families hertiages and they are proud of their languages.   Therefore I don’t see any problem that my child can speak cantonese to his friends.
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 17:25

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-2-6 17:27

作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-6 17:33

Learning chinese is 100% not a trade off, it is a bonus.   The chinese standard is not as good as the local school, but it is good enough as an IS.  My child didnt take any extra lesson outside school, and she can make sentences and read simple story.   

原帖由 edexp 於 09-2-6 17:25 發表
Thank you for telling me the amount of Chinese study in RC and SJS but I think SJS is not only 1 or 2 lesson per week. SJS already has more Chinese lessons than other ESF primary and other ESF primary ...

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 17:42

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 17:48

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 17:53

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 17:59

作者: Annie123    時間: 09-2-6 18:27

作者: starfox    時間: 09-2-6 18:28

Well, i dont want to argue with you since it is no point at all and this is going to be my last reply.   I am just trying to clarify the false information as you are not SJS or RCHK parent.  As i said, i think you should make a school visit first before you go on any further comment or if you want to understand the difference between RC and other DSS.

I think we are now living in a global economy, everyone should know more than 1 language (or even 3-4 languages), i dont understand why a school should only straighten on one language, just like French international, they have french and english.  Like SIS, they have Mandarin and English.   Like GSIS, they have german and english, so is it mean that all of their students can't speak perfect english as it is a tradeoff of learning more than 1 language.   Please look widely since children are smarter and smarter today, I am so sure they are handle 2-3 languages well at the same time, and they dont need too much rule to make them become perfect.  

As a RC parent, I am not trying to convince anyone to go to RC or make any comparsion between different IS, but just here to share what i experience and what i see in RC.  But i dont understand why some non RC or SJS parents always responded with negative opinions and i will stop here for further sharings.

原帖由 edexp 於 09-2-6 17:59 發表
One more point I would like to add.

If RC doesn't enforce a straight language policy at school, then what is the difference between RC and a local EMI school as all the subjects except (Chinese relat ...

[ 本帖最後由 starfox 於 09-2-6 19:20 編輯 ]
作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-6 21:03

No no no!

SJS is going to have Chinese lesson everyday starting 2009+. Please see this link on their website:

http://clc.esf.edu.hk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=4388&ResourceID=246629

原帖由 starfox 於 09-2-6 16:32 發表
"I am not sure how many number of Chinese lessons in RC primary and also SJS. I don't think the number differ too much - right?"

The number of class is totally different.   The chinese lessons in SJS ...

作者: Radiomama    時間: 09-2-6 21:41

That's why I sent my kid to Victoria Kindy after the playgroup & prep program in Anfield.  I have never considered ESF kindy(too far away) before, and I have no regret.

My kid is K2 now and he could communicate both in English and Cantonese.  In the coming August, we will promote Y1 in RC.  And then I will let him apply for one or two DSS(P1).  If we are lucky enough, then he could still go back to the local stream, otherwise, he could study in int'l school.

原帖由 肥騫 於 09-2-6 14:38 發表
Hi all parents,

Thanks for all your comments. It really helps a lot, especially to the parents that comparing RC with other IS, like me.

My son is still in kinder stage and I'm interested in RC also ...

作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-6 21:43

As far as I know, "Respect Diversity" is one of RC the school's philosophy. Therefore the so-called "Pure English Playground Language Policy" obviously contradicts with this school spirit. I believe that it is why Peter Kenny does not respond to such a suggestion positively. Moreover, "English" is not equivalent to "International". I think RC is a very IB school.
作者: hhy2007    時間: 09-2-6 21:49

edexp,

Don't say sorry when you insist SJS is better than RC.  I don't feel offended at all.  Actually, I appreciate it that you share your views and some “insiders” pinions with us here, although some of those remarks may not be agreeable to my observations.

My daughter has gone through three international schools both in and outside HK, with the RC the last.  From our experience and comparison, RC's teaching team is similar to what my daughter encountered in her previous prestigious international schools.  So I know RC couldn’t be any inferior to other IS and have my trust in this school.  I’m particularly happy that my daughter finally takes Chinese learning seriously after several months’ schooling in RC.  My hope for her Chinese learning comes to life again.     

For those who are struggling over which school to choose, well, it would become quite personal when making the final decision.  SJS and other ESF school are much cheaper but provide quality education, why not take them, if given the chance?!  

Be happy with your choice, and help your children to be successful at school.
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 23:14

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 23:24

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-6 23:36

作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-7 00:43

edexp

Perhaps I should apologize for asking Mclint to share the opinions he/she got from the teachers from SJS. I just want to know what things RC should learn from but seems like it has opened a can of worms.

By observing the writing style and the eagerness of your response to opposing opinions and the use of antagonistic words you seems like a BK fans with other names. If I am not wrong your child is studying in GSIS, right?

You did share some of your views in this thread but once being provoked you lost your temper and became wild. Take it easy, if you emphasised you have no bias towards RC or SJS then just say so plainly no need to use strong words. It doesn't help what you are looking for - rational discussion.

I can say I am the first one who submitted the application form of P1 two years ago. I took the risk of sending my girl to RCHK because the curriculum in Chinese appeals to me. You have your point of having an English language environment is facilitating to children learning how to use the language in daily lives. On the other hand the child will adjust themselves it is not necessary to force them to do so. As mentioned above when she is playing with non-local classmates the medium is English. As more and more non-local students are admitted to RC the situation may change gradually.

Stay cool and show respect to everyone posting here.
作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-7 01:43     標題: 回覆 # 的文章

It is good to hear that SJS is going to have Chinese Lesson in 2009.  They never mentioned that when I had the school visit last time which was 4 months ago.  They only told me that they have Chinese lesson once a week.
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-7 01:43

作者: PurpleSea    時間: 09-2-7 02:00

edexp,
I just wonder if you know Starfox?  If not, how do you know that your kid's different languages performance are much better than her kid no matter which language she wants to compare!!!
作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-7 06:18

各位BK家長,請保持冷靜及客觀的討論,上BK的家長都是文明的一代,除了為自己子女著想外,也給其他人一點資訊。合聽就說句多謝,不合聽就算了。記往,子女的好壞,90%不是學校問題,而是家庭問題居多!

看到大家由客氣討論變成長篇大論的辯論,繼而開始有點火藥味,很是心痛,要是我們的孩子看到了,怎辦?

其實我們很想下一代能作育英材,但更重要的是,最小希望他們會變成一個好人,對嗎?

曾經有一位立法會議員對我說:「教導子女,"身教" 最重要。因為家長如何,小孩看在眼裏,記在心裏。你想你的孩子如何,你就要成為他們的榜樣!」願與各位BK家長共勉之!

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-7 11:22 編輯 ]
作者: steamball    時間: 09-2-7 10:17

agree......
作者: almom    時間: 09-2-7 16:05

原帖由 edexp 於 09-2-6 23:14 發表
I only have said that in order to develop a native level of language (no matter you want it is English or Chinese or other languages), one has to be totally immersed in such language environment for at least 5 to 6 hours a day, like most of the IS which consider English as the first language that expect all children to be able to master. Therefore, I have said if RC cannot foster a total English environment without a straight language policy, I really doubt its results on the spoken level of its students.  

English is the first language at RC. Students are immersed in total English environment at school. The only thing RC might be different would be, students are not forced to use only English at times like lunch time and recess.

My view is that, if a kid is already accepted by an international school, he should already be totally competent in English. Someone has already said so: why do English competent students need one extra hour of casual chit chat with English? And in fact, most native English speaking children would automatically want to speak mainly English even without any strict rules.

I think it is probably the differences in background of families that make our expectations so different. Many RC families are non-Chinese families. Even if they are ethnic Chinese, they are American, Canadian, Bristish, Malaysian, Indonesian etc families that have always used English all the time . My children were not Hong Kong born. They have all their lives used mainly English and they do not really NEED an extra hour of English chit chat to polish their spoken English.

On the other hand, of course, if a child does not have really good spoken English, may be their parents would prefer them to be forced to use only English at school.

However, I would wonder, now, why do students in an IS would be that incompetent? Taking ESF as an example, their students should have native English standard. Why do you think their spoken English would get worse by speaking one less hour of English everyday. And, in fact, for real native English speaking Chinese kids, I doubt whether they would want to speak much Chinese at all even if there is no strict rules.
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-7 18:33

Come on edexp, stay cool. From your response I can 100% sure you are the one who had used another name in another thread that stirred up hot debate.

I was amazed to read that you hadn't used any strong words. You may review your postings and check then.

I believe you are an excellent warrior with an adament desire to win without giving any inches. Yet, it doesn't have any rational discussion here.

I am not a Christian but the Bible says when you are judging people you might overlook the thorn inside your eyes.

I totally agree with you that we should not avoid opening up a can of worms. But what I am referring to was not the problem that RC is facing or identified by you but the unnecessary squirrels. As a RC parent I really appreciate someone else can identify the problems that I might have overlooked. As I have said you have your point but I have lots of reservations on your way of responsing. Take a deep breath before rebutting my posting, or simply ignore it and have a good weekend with you family.

Cheers,

原帖由 edexp 於 09-2-7 01:43 發表
Wingba,

Firstly I don't think I need to disclose any of my personal or my child information if I don't wish as it is totally not relevant to my views and opinion shared in BK.

"I just want to know w ...

作者: oooray    時間: 09-2-7 22:31

as an outsider (although i may become a RC parent, too), i think only insiders have the right to comment how good or bad the school should be running because they are the one who benefit and suffer directly.No matter how an outsider learn from third parties comments, it is only subjective viewpoint.
As i mentioned before, education resembles food. Those who are eating/tasting the food have the right to comment on its quality. As an outsider, i can say the food looks yucky and not healthy and i can refuse to try that food.
In the same way, an ousider criticizing the deficiencies of RC (comparing how successful he/she is at different school) should not be too subjective. Someone succeeds in one way  doesn't mean that everybody should follow the same way and that is the only way to success. No system is perfect (Education is not a religion).
Excessive subjectivity = Arrogant.

作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-7 23:31

原帖由 steamball 於 09-2-7 10:17 發表
agree......

but I guess not many IS parents can read Chinese, or may be not willing to understand..... sigh......

anyway, hope you guys can discuss in a harmonized way. Kids are our future, and hope they can learn the good things from us, not the bad thing.

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-7 23:39 編輯 ]
作者: JYFC    時間: 09-2-8 01:48

Being a potential RC parent, many thanks for all your sharing especially the ones posted by RC parents.

Basically each child is unique. “Elite school A” may be the dream school for everyone, but it may not be the best school for every child. We, as the parents must try our best to find out the potentials & capabilities of our kids and help them to find the suitable school to develop their further studies.

My daughter has been to RC once only. The first thing she told me after the interview was “Mum, I like this Big school, can I come here everyday?” And to my surprise, I heard similar comments from her classmates too.  I really wonder in my mind what is so good about this school.

After joining the RC school tour, now I have a better understanding of the school. From my observation, I notice the teachers are very friendly from RC and the students are willing to volunteer their answers. There are very close interactions amongst the teachers & the students. The campus/classroom is obviously very spacious & new. Then I thought this must be why it attracts my little girl.

Today, I ask my daughter why she likes RC?

“hehehe…..because the teachers are niceeeeeeeeee” she said with a big simile on her face.

I am confident that if we choose RC, she will certainly have a good start in her new school life.

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-2-7 18:33 發表
Come on edexp, stay cool. From your response I can 100% sure you are the one who had used another name in another thread that stirred up hot debate.

I was amazed to read that you hadn't used any stro ...

作者: almom    時間: 09-2-8 12:33

I think many parents have always made a wrong assumption or have got some wrong impressions.

English is the main language at RC. There are rules at RC of the language they use during classes. Not that students can speak any language they want. English has to be the only language that they use (although I know that some students might not want to follow). They need to use English all the time in class. The only "un-regulated" time would be recess and lunch.

I think one great thing I like at RC is that, even without the strict language policy, even local students are good at English. Even if those local students were not that good in the beginning, they get a lot better after some time. This is probably quite unbelievable to many non-RC parents and they probably are thinking that I am lying.

But if you analysis a situation more logically, you will see that it can be so.

Just think of WHY we need any language policy at all in the first place. It is probably that we want the children to have more exposure to English. Fine and fair, right? But if the classes and teaching have been conducted effectively and professionally, do we still need such policy?

A lot of local elite schools and DSSs also have very strict language policy. They are teaching in English and students are forced to use only English in school. However, the English standard of the students still remains in second language level.

I think the English level of students does not rest with whether there is a language policy. It rests with what students and teachers we have. If a student is good at English, then he does not need any language policy to have good English. Even if a student is not that good at English, but has the drive and ability to move up, he does not need any language policy too. Then it also matters how classes are conducted and the teching support at school. Students benefit from high quality teaching and this means we need good teaching staff. And, we do have very good teachers.

Of course, if the school really also impose strict rules on language at RC, I am sure they can "attract" even more local applicants and would surely get more "positive" comments from local parents (obviously, positive comments at BK, at least). However, I wonder whether this will help the school to be genuinely a good school and to be genuinely more international. What we need is not a school that gain positive comments at BK. What we need is a genuinely good school. And from what I heard from many western teacher, RC is what they consider a good school that is getting better each year and is gaining respects from the circle of teachers.

For those that are concerned whether RC has mostly or mainly local cantonese speaking kids, I have some comments to make too.

Although the two ESF PIS (RC and DC) were supposedly set up to help ease the demand from local families, the present situation is that these two schools have in fact attracted a lot of non-local families. As a not-exactly-local family, we like the present diversified cultural atmosphere at RC. We have lots of non-local students: western, asian, half-Chinese etc. I think this is not what parents and ESF have expected.

The PISs were supposedly set up to serve up to 70% (more or less, not sure) of "local families".  Many parents (surprisingly, local Chinese parents are those that are not willing to team up with other local Chinese families) were afraid that the PISs would be stuffed with mainly local cantonese speaking students. However, they were probably not aware that many non-Chinese faces are in fact quite "local"  legally. Many western children at RC were born in Hong Kong and the whole family hold Hong Kong permanent ID cards. Some others have at least one parent holding a Hong Kong permanent ID card. Bear in mind that many western or non-local dads have been working or doing business in Hong Kong for a long time. Many have already gained the permenant residencial rights and hold the permenant ID cards. They are statiscally or legally "local". Also, there are just numerous ABCs, BBCs, etc (my children too) or half-Chinese kids with at least one parent holding Hong Kong permanent ID card. Et cetera.... So this make RC legally able to take more non-local chinese students than people presume.

I want to say that RC is probably not the best school available in Hong Kong. And likely, it will not moved up to be the best in the near future. However, still, RC meets most of my needs. And the school is getting better and better.

News schools do have flaws. RC is very new but it is a surprise to many, even including parents, that it is getting so much better within 3 year.

We hear a lot of negative comments of RC here. And unfortunately, most are untrue. And what's even more disturbing is that, RC parents are accused of being unreasonable when they are merely coming to clarify, trying to make things right. It is sad to see that rights and wrongs are so mixed up. And it is even more sad to see that quite a few RC parents are no longer contributing their views in BK.
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-8 16:21

Ai..ya I was too dumb to have misspelt the word "squabble". Perhaps I am a bit too indulged in Disney's character Chip and Dale and used the word "squirrel" Sorry for the confusion folks.

原帖由 Wingba 於 09-2-7 18:33 發表

I was amazed to read that you hadn't used any stro ...

作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-8 16:46

Good Day Almon,

Thank you for your sharing and observation. I hope you can post more info. on RC in BK so that I can learn more.

As we cannot spare more time to join RAPT and other school functions we are afraid all we can do is to tell what we learned from our child as well as from the teachers from limited contacts.

I am also impressed by the accomplishment that RC has made in only 3 years time. I do agree with you that RC is definitely not the best school but it is getting better and better every day. I am satisfied with its Chinese curriculum and I am grateful to the efforts that the teaching staff have been contributing in helping parents to understand the school and its phlilosophy.

RC parents should share their views at BK, I totally agree

原帖由 almom 於 09-2-8 12:33 發表
I think many parents have always made a wrong assumption or have got some wrong impressions.

English is the main language at RC. There are rules at RC of the language they use during classes. Not tha ...

作者: 肥騫    時間: 09-2-9 18:08

Radiomama and Popolung,

Thanks!

My plan is similar to yours. The only diff is that I'll place IS over DSS.

Victoria kinder is our priority one also, but I'm a bit worried about their english skills. I attended the school visit of RC few months before and I found that there were some students coming from Victoria also...so, I'm strugging between Vic and IS kinder...so, ESF, Starters, Small World Kinder, Woodland are also our choices.

Could other parents of RC give me some suggestions here?

Thanks a lot!!
作者: oooray    時間: 09-2-9 18:13

As an ex-Victoria parents, Victoria is definitely not your choice if IS is your first choice. (As least it applied to me)
原帖由 肥騫 於 09-2-9 18:08 發表
Radiomama and Popolung,

Thanks!

My plan is similar to yours. The only diff is that I'll place IS over DSS.

Victoria kinder is our priority one also, but I'm a bit worried about their english skill ...

作者: 肥騫    時間: 09-2-10 13:48

Hi Oooray,

Thanks for your opinion.
Do you think English proficiency in Victoria is not good enough? Can you share more of your experience in Victoria? I'm going to apply Habour Heights Branch.

I'm welcome if other parents can share their views here. Can parents of RC give me some precious opinion? What's the kinder background of RC students?

Thanks!!
作者: almom    時間: 09-2-10 14:14

原帖由 肥騫 於 09-2-10 13:48 發表
What's the kinder background of RC students?

RC is a new school and students now with the school are basically from everywhere.
Just a couple of years ago, RC was still willing to accept students from local schools, however, I think they are not as interested in doing so anymore because of the language problem most of those kids have.
Also, because it is a new school, they seem to be adjusting their admission criteria each year, so that they can get students that they believe would be suitable for the curriculum. IB requires not only children with good language skills but a more outgoing and friendly personality.
It is still to early for us to guess the "pattern" of what they want from a child. However, as a wild or initial guess, I think if a child is not from an international kindergarten, the chance that he can get admission is a lot slimmer (if not totally impossible).
作者: Wingba    時間: 09-2-10 14:17

I cannot give you a comprehensive answer as I don't know many of the parents in RCHK.

But I oberseve that students of RCHK come from all kinds of kinder, ESF, Boxhill, other Int'l kinder as well as local kinder as well.

My girl studied in local kinder with emphasis on English profciency. Don't worry too much, as long as you can train up your kind not to be afraid of communcating in English is should be okay in tackling the interview. So far studying in ESF kinders seems not to have an advantage over those nor ESF kinders kids. But things may change as more and more students are applying for RCHK. With the WKS kinder opening this year it may add another variable to the scene.

Cheers,

Hi Oooray,

Thanks for your opinion.
Do you think English proficiency in Victoria is not good enough? Can you share more of your experience in Victoria? I'm going to apply Habour Heights Branch.

I'm  ...

作者: oooray    時間: 09-2-10 14:37

probably not match the topic of this thread but just spare some room to express my personal feeling.
My daughter were in playgroup and Pre-nursery amongst a few Victoria in HK and Kowloon side.
As you may know, they are following IB curriculum. I attended an seminar held by Victoria and learnt that IB is good. Every teacher in Victoria are "certified" as a teacher for IB. Also, they have a very good Teacher:student ratio and English teacher is always be with the class (unless she is sick).
U may know that Victoria has her own primary (I'm not sure whether they have secondary, too). From their statistics, majority of graduates will go to Victoria primary and quite a number goes to Top Primary 1 local school (I wonder it is the effort of the school, as many kindergarten are screening applicants whose parents are old boys/old girls of top school).
I learnt that most Victoria parents are satisfied with the english/mandarin level for their children. Also, Victoria runs her business very successful and most parents "feel" good being a parent of Victoria Kindergarten (That's why there are so many applicants every year and the competition is very keen.)
What I don't buy there are that (maybe changed in recent years) most local teachers there are locally educated. They are trained to be a "qualified" IB teacher by taking courses but I do not think every teacher can change their attitudes towards "traditional" education, adopt and perform 100% what behind IB....(thousands words are omitted...too much saliva already)
If you haven't decided which stream (local or IS) your child is going, Victoria is not a bad option that you still have the chance to choice when your child is in K1/K2.
If you have decided to go to IS, it is better go to "real" International Kindergarten.
(Problems here are the keen competition for a Year 1 place that you may have no point of return when you have not offered a place by your famous school at Year 1 application; and also the inferior Chinese standard that have been discussing by other threads).
Hopefully, these are useful for you when you are making your decision(s).

Hi Oooray,

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm  ...

作者: gentlemanhk    時間: 09-2-11 11:49

My girl is currently at Victoria K2 and got admitted to RC Y1. We are pretty happy with her English proficiency and really think that Victoria has done a great job overall (we do not have any supplementary classes for her). She can freely communicate with and is always willing to play with other native English speaking kids. Her English is at least on par, if not better than, those kids studying in some "self-acclaimed" international kingda or those famous for their English level.

However, her English is certainly not up to a native level. So I would agree with Oooray's comment that it is safer to put your kid into a "real" international kingda if you are so determined for the international stream. We put our girl into Victoria Kingda for reasons basically Oooray has already pointed out and we believe that VSA is also our good alternative (we don't like the spoon feeding type of education of tranditional schools regardless of their fame). VSA is one of the two fully accredited IB schools, along with RC at this moment, running PYP all the way to IBD. The weakness of VSA to us is that, despite its international perspective, it is lacking of a real international environment since its students are almost 100% local. Therefore, we would prefer RC over VSA but neverthelss, VSA is not a bad alternative to us at all. You should note that VSA no longer gaurantee a place for their Victoria kids and is no longer accepting outsiders since there were well over three hunderd applicants for the roughly 140? seats.

Victoria is well rounded, teachers are nice and kids are very happy there. It may not, however, suit you if you have a particular focus.        

Hi Oooray,

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm  ...

作者: oooray    時間: 09-2-11 13:25

原帖由 gentlemanhk 於 09-2-11 11:49 發表
My girl is currently at Victoria K2 and got admitted to RC Y1. We are pretty happy with her English proficiency and really think that Victoria has done a great job overall (we do not have any suppleme ...

Basically, we share similar viewpoints to Victoria. Although I gave up her K1 offer, I do confess Victoria can give parents something more than traditional kindergartens, especially to those who are interested in IS but haven't decided which way their children should go in the future.
作者: 肥騫    時間: 09-2-11 17:01

Hi almon, Wingba, oooray and gentlemanhk,

Thank you so much for your advices which are very useful to me.

Thanks again!
作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-21 08:41

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-23 12:34

作者: edexp    時間: 09-2-23 12:38

作者: cornelius    時間: 09-2-23 13:58

Before sharing my little thoughts, I wish to disclaim that I am neither an RC parent nor a fan of the school.  It just happened that my Eurasian niece once studied in RC and that I have colleagues having their kids studying there.

I treasure reading postings in BK as a source of information to help plan the education path for my kid who's only 3 yrs old.  The current thread has recently attracted much debate and I appeal to you all that it should come to an end.

In fact, it is all a matter of expectation and perception towards how one feels and thinks about a school.  My two cents are, if it is merely a perception thing, it is wise not to make judgment and even force others to accept one's belief.  After all, BK is a public chat room and there is nothing called "absolutely right" or "absolutely wrong".  Comments carrying elements of personal attacks such as "虛榮心" should be sparingly made, if not at all avoided.

I hope all of you will join hands to build a place where apart from freedom of expression, there is respect for one another.
作者: popolung    時間: 09-2-23 14:45

原帖由 cornelius 於 09-2-23 13:58 發表
Before sharing my little thoughts, I wish to disclaim that I am neither an RC parent nor a fan of the school.  It just happened that my Eurasian niece once studied in RC and that I have colleagues hav ...

I agree, let make this BK Forum a peaceful place to chat. After all, how good your kids can learn is not only depends on how good the school is, but also depends on a lot of happenings after school. So parents' contribution are a MUST too!
作者: X-Mum    時間: 09-2-23 21:16

Long discussion!!  

I always thinking a way how to "long" and "short" (I mean stock/ warrant) at the same time.  The day I find the way, I should be rich!

My girl will go to RC Y1 in coming year.. I am not a native English speaker, and we use to speak Cantonese at home.  I am quite happy to see my girl can read, can speak fairly good English, and I am also happy to talk to her in Cantonese.  It is quite surprise to see my kid cannot talk to her grandma.  May be some parents in BK are having very good English level and they are very much eager to have extremely high "Native" level of English.  But fo me, my feeling is "SO WHAT"!  I see some Malaysian and Singaporian friends, they are speaking good English, Chinese, and even Malaysian.  Their kids are growing up in Multi-language environment.  Though, I can see they are not specially good at either language, but they are using all very well.

The reason I go RC is not the English level of the school, but the environment and IB.  I know student speaking Cantonese after class.  The school knows as well.  The school is respecting a multi language environment and they do not think that is a problem.  Learning is not restricted by language, as long as the kid are happy to learn and having fair level in both Chinese and English will be good.  Children are very flexible, they are so clever to switch between languages.  As a Chinese parent, I do not know why I have to expect my kid can have English level as Native Speaker.  In fact, I know a lot of Native Englishmen, their written English are quite terrible!   I am expecting my kid can have better Language level than me, I wonder if my kid is having it know.  All we have to do is to raise the kid and let me being independent and competitive enough to cope with problems.     

There is no point to concentrate on the English policy of RC, as you know, at least 70% of the student will be from local family.  I rarely see a local parents speak English with their kid all the time...so fundamentally, there is difference...

I think the discussion should put more on how RC implement IB, and how this help kids to learn as all-rounder.  I do not mind if someone said RC is just like DGS, or any other elite local schools... the point is whether RC is a school can let our kids grow up as an Elite.  If so, the school is good, how to do it would be another matter and we have to discuss and investigate more.
作者: bigbighei    時間: 09-2-24 15:13

me too! My son also asked me the same questions after interview.

原帖由 JYFC 於 09-2-8 01:48 發表
Being a potential RC parent, many thanks for all your sharing especially the ones posted by RC parents.

Basically each child is unique. “Elite school A” may be the dream school for everyone, but  ...

作者: Miclint    時間: 09-2-24 18:22

Hello: I am the parent who posted this thread at the very beginning. Just would like to update my dear parent friends at BK about my progress. RC has put my child on waiting list not until this Monday Feb 23, they finally gave us a place offer. Therefore, I have already signed up my son at SJS before Feb 23. So, that's it.

Since my major concern is Chinese learning, I should be grateful to all you experienced or RC or non-RC parents to share with me methods of helping our IS children to learn Chinese after-school.

Thank you!
作者: barque    時間: 09-2-24 20:53

I like the language policy of RC. Because I don't want my child concentrate in English only. I want my child can be native in both English and Chinese.
I really appreciate if my child can use English during class and speak Chinese with friends after school.
It is golden time for children to learn language before age 12. I think most student can master two or more language at the same time.
作者: Ciz    時間: 09-3-5 21:46

Agree.  I'm pleased with my son's progress in just 1.5 years.  He can chat at ease with his classmates in English (both Chinese and foreigners) in school and speak fluent Cantonese at home.  And I observe that kids in upper forms speak English at near-native standard.

I think RC is good for those who want to see their kids handle both languages well, instead of becoming so westernized that they refuse to speak in Cantonese, like some in other ESF schools.

原帖由 barque 於 09-2-24 20:53 發表
I like the language policy of RC. Because I don't want my child concentrate in English only. I want my child can be native in both English and Chinese.
I really appreciate if my child can use English ...

作者: Radiomama    時間: 09-3-8 22:04

Dear RC Parents,
I have few questions:
1) Do your kids enjoy the meals from school?  I have checked the lunch menu but it seems so --international or I should say quite western style!  Any alternative choice?  Packed lunch?
2) How's the school bus service?
3) There's a special event about "bullying", is it a big issue in the school or just a kind of "concern"?
4) Would the school arrange the students from same kindergarten to different classes intentionally?
Thank you very much.

原帖由 Ciz 於 09-3-5 21:46 發表
Agree.  I'm pleased with my son's progress in just 1.5 years.  He can chat at ease with his classmates in English (both Chinese and foreigners) in school and speak fluent Cantonese at home.  And I obs ...

作者: almom    時間: 09-3-9 13:57

Radiomama,

(1) My kid in primary likes the school menu. The meals are totally balanced diet; that is, in accordance with the Health Department's suggestion of 3+2+1 portion of carbo, veggie and meat; and with the suggested use of cooking material (eg, fewer preserved meat like ham, sausage, and less salt) and cooking method (eg, fewer deep fried food, etc). However, to many people, healthy meals do not mean tasty meals. Because of inidividual family's eating habit, I know that many kids do not like school meal. I have heard parents complaining that their kids are not eating school lunch because the school lunch is not tasty.
There are alternative foods. Sandwiches, pizzas, croisants, etc. Also, I know that a lot of primary kids do have packed lunch.

(2) No idea.

(3) No bullying issues that I know of. The special event about "bullying" is just to educate students about this issue. International schools are mostly more open-minded in these issues and would be willing to talk to students BEFORE things happen.

(4) Not sure, but probably no.
作者: birdbird    時間: 09-3-9 20:29

Radiomama

Pls see my input.
I have few questions:
1) Do your kids enjoy the meals from school?  I have checked the lunch menu but it seems so --international or I should say quite western style!
I tried the food in Cafeteria a few times. The taste is ok. However, I heard that some kids eat little at lunch. Maybe they're not used to food other than home food.

Any alternative choice?
for students of higher grades, they can have sandwiches, hotdogs or other things from the cafeteria for lunch. For year 1 & 2, I don't think they can take things other then the lunch menu as they don't have the octopus to buy food & drinks by themselves at the cafeteria.

Packed lunch?
In my son's class, about 1/3 students pack home lunch. They have the lunch at the upper floor of the cafeteria. Some amahs help the students to open the rice containers. If you decide to let your kid pack home lunch, let them practice to open the rice container, water bottle, etc beforehand. Also, encourage your kid to voice out help when they really need help.

2) How's the school bus service?
(a) The bus schedule at RCHK's website is not updated.
(b) sevice is.... acceptable, just ok.

3) There's a special event about "bullying", is it a big issue in the school or just a kind of "concern"?
Bullying is not a big problem.
i think the kids need to learn some social skills to protect themselves, to say 'no' to things/people they don't know or dislike, to care their own stuffs, etc.

4) Would the school arrange the students from same kindergarten to different classes intentionally?
Thank you very much.
no idea.

作者: Radiomama    時間: 09-3-9 21:35

Thank you very much!
作者: acdad    時間: 09-3-10 15:18     標題: Seminars for internet bullying and internet security

Actually, there were 2 seminars in RC last week to educate parents on the above topics and we found both very useful to protect and educate our kids without discouraging them using the internet properly.

Thanks for the school and teachers organising those seminars. That's one of the reasons why we like the school!

Hopefully, more parents would attend such kind of seminars organized by the school next time. They are useful!
作者: almom    時間: 09-3-17 10:06

原帖由 acdad 於 09-3-10 15:18 發表
Actually, there were 2 seminars in RC last week to educate parents on the above topics and we found both very useful to protect and educate our kids without discouraging them using the internet proper ...

Good that you went.
I totally forgot about them.
作者: 琬晴B    時間: 09-3-17 10:47     標題: The Pearl Report (00:50 am, March 18)

The programme talks about art of story telling, opera performing..... & how Renaissance College holds the library lessons for Year 3.

There will be a re-run tonight. Don't miss it!

The Pearl Report (00:50 am, March 18)
作者: popolung    時間: 09-3-17 10:58

原帖由 琬晴B 於 09-3-17 10:47 發表
The programme talks about art of story telling, opera performing..... & how Renaissance College holds the library lessons for Year 3.

There will be a re-run tonight. Don't miss it!

The Pearl Report  ...

It is posted on TVB.com already, go to the 2nd tab of the video:

Be A Storyteller:

http://mytv.tvb.com/news/pearlreport/17654

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-3-17 11:00 編輯 ]
作者: KaKaYa    時間: 09-3-23 16:17

May I know the question of interview ..... in Year 2 or year 3????
Thanks a lot.

原帖由 bigbighei 於 09-2-24 15:13 發表
me too! My son also asked me the same questions after interview.

作者: popolung    時間: 09-3-23 21:23

原帖由 KaKaYa 於 09-3-23 16:17 發表
May I know the question of interview ..... in Year 2 or year 3????
Thanks a lot.

See the basic language requirement for all ESF you may have some insight of what they will ask in the interview:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=952&langNo=1

Year Two Requirement

In addition to Year One requirement, children seeking entry to Year Two should:-
(Oral Interaction)

Reading
and Responding

Entrants to Year Two will also be expected to:-
Some children will be able to read familiar and some unfamiliar texts using knowledge of English sounds/symbol relationships and knowledge of basic punctuation

Writing:-

Year Three Requirement
In addition to Year One-Two requirement, children seeking entry to Year Three should:-
(Oral Interaction)
Reading
and Responding
:-
Writing:-

作者: KaKaYa    時間: 09-3-24 12:35

Thank you so much! And any special skill for sharing for 1 time or 2 times interviews for them?Would they only 1 test paper for 45 mins ???Hopefully, have your information.

Have a nice day!
原帖由 popolung 於 09-3-23 21:23 發表

See the basic language requirement for all ESF you may have some insight of what they will ask in the interview:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=952&langNo=1

Year Two Requirement

In addit ...

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5