標題: 四大天王: 東男拔, 西女拔, 南聖小, 北保羅 [打印本頁]

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 02:25     標題: 四大天王: 東男拔, 西女拔, 南聖小, 北保羅

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 04:16

作者: Tami    時間: 10-10-29 09:02

哈哈!你吾做seller浪費左(講笑)!多謝你介紹得甘詳細,呢間都係我好心儀學校,我地住新界都applied,甘好慨學校,收我個寶貝我會搬屋。
作者: ABTreasures    時間: 10-10-29 09:34

Agreed this is a very good school.  Don't just stay in the past and compared the results / student quality of 10 years ago.  They changed a lot for recent yeaers.
作者: 天下父母心    時間: 10-10-29 09:35

Hi,

Is your kid studying in this school?  It seems you know more than the current parents there, ha ha...
作者: wootaitai    時間: 10-10-29 10:02

作者: Jack0128    時間: 10-10-29 10:52

Yes, Mr Yip is graduted from St. Stephen's College.

http://www.ssc.edu.hk/images/newspaper/291012_mingpao.jpg

原帖由 wootaitai 於 10-10-29 10:02 發表
you mean 葉問 graduated from St Stephens? >

作者: peter_pan    時間: 10-10-29 12:53

Don't mean to pour cold water - but I don't think many parents will give up places in the other 3 schools for St Stephen's while most will give up St Stephen's to go to the other 3!
Having said that St Stephen's is still a good school.
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 14:09

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 14:56

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 14:58

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-29 15:02

作者: hui3328    時間: 10-10-29 15:26

I appreciate your strong passion about SSPCPS. But you don't need to underplay the status of other elite schools. Using Chinese as the primary teaching medium at junior primary section, and transitioning to English at senior grades does not necessarily give rise to lower academic standard. From students' learning perspective, the outcome might be the other way around - the result speaks itself.
Bottomline is whether their students can maintain their English standard.

Education is a positive cycle: when the result is good, the school will attract the best students, and the vice versa.

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-10-29 14:09 發表
I agreed with U. Most of the parents just focused on the HKCEE results, i.e. academic focus. They have an inclination of training up a professionals or some-what mult-talents. But how about training u ...

作者: caa    時間: 10-10-29 15:43

This kind of frenetic selling of a school may well produce an exactly opposite effect that the writer may aim at. Can't understand the purpose behind.

I agreed with U. Most of the parents just focused on the HKCEE results, i.e. academic focus. They have an inclination of training up a professionals or some-what mult-talents. But how about training u ...

作者: mow-mow    時間: 10-10-29 16:02

No matter how hard you sale, currently St Stephen's still cannot be considered to be on the same level as the other 3, let alone being top of the list!
I do know a few St Stephen's parents, & every one of them conceded that their kids study at St Stephen's because they were rejected by 1 or 2 of the other 3 schools.
作者: ellylau    時間: 10-10-29 20:13

PhdJessisema,  

看來你對SSCPS特別推祟喎~~  你的PRESENTATION SKILL禁特別, 好似要人不認同你不可. 不過你花了這麼多時間撰寫, 分析, 值得一讚. 言論有自由啊 :)

作為ST. STEPHEN 今年G1的家長, 容許我說幾句吧, 不合聽的請諒.  我個人認為最好的學校就是最適合小朋友素質的學校, 而且還要配合整個家庭的運作.  間間學校都有追棒者,各有優點, 各取所需.

小女很幸運地獲樓主所提及的學校同時取錄, 但最後選了SSCPS.  起初本人都15, 16擔心下錯決定, 不能回頭. 但開課至今有2個月了, 小女也適應下來, 我很高興見她能侮天都歡喜地告訴我所見所聞.

依我所見,學校有它一套方法去引導孩子亙相學習, 變得更乖, 更叻.  天天都有特定閱讀時間, 一星期讀中文書, 一星期讀英文書. 上中文課一定要說PTH, 上英文, 數學, 常識課一定要說英文, 體育,音樂, 聖經課要用廣東話.  賞罰分明, 學生有表紀錄乖或不乖, 最乖的1男1女便可做下個月份的班長.  

英文科選用英國的教科書, Launch into Literacy及New Grammer Time.  個個星期都有寫JOURNAL呀, 默書呀. 英文程度比較深,中文及數學跟傳統學校差不多.

我很欣賞它們有自己的飯堂煮飯, 兩餸一湯,很健康的. 還有不同年級的姐姐哥哥同枱食飯, 照顧年幼的,更可亙相學習, 很WARM呀.

如果侮週分組比賽, 最乖, 即勝出的組別可以獎去沙灘玩, 去魚池等地方玩.

功課方面, 量不太多, 如果小朋友在校快手做好, 回家做20分鐘便完成. 剩下的時間可看吓書, 玩吓, 輕鬆吓.  很高興看到孩子有進步, 回家自動自覺做好功課, 執好明天的書包, 還主動要求幫她練習默書.  能培養小朋友有良好的學習動機, 學校應記一功啊!

個人認為不同小朋友所需所長也有所不同, 按他們的素質去教養便是最好的.  將來的世界發展怎樣都難料, 給他們幸福是最重要的, 成龍成鳳, 不管太多了.

希望能給對SSCPS有興趣的家長多一些了解吧.
作者: ssspwong    時間: 10-10-29 20:57

When compared with other 3 schools, SSCPS gets less recognition from the public because not many people understand its merits. In fact, SSCPS is really popular among elite families. However, these kinds of parents are usually rather low-profile and don't say too much about the school. Therefore, I appreciated PhdJessisema's effort in introducing SSCPS here.

My kid is very happy in SSCPS and I am impressed by his progress in every aspect in the school. And, I would like to use this forum to express my gratitude for the efforts and the commitment of the teaching and non-teaching staff in SSCPS.

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-10-29 02:25 發表
In town, there are real 四大天王 primary schools. They all share similar features and earned respectual recommendation from parents and the society. They are: SPCCPS, DBS, DGS and SSCP ...

作者: ahtan    時間: 10-10-29 22:58

Do you know how many people applied this year? Close to 2000? How many do they accept at the end? How many will they call for 2nd interview? Have they started calling already???
作者: ssckid    時間: 10-10-29 23:20     標題: 我的感想

剛巧路過這裡,看到各位家長的討論,也想分享我對「聖小」和聖士提反書院「聖書」的一些意見,以供各家長參考。

小兒在聖小度過六年時光,現就讀於聖書的中三。小兒的小學生活可以說是愉快、充實。學校的老師十分關心、愛護學生。功課不多,回家約一小時便能完成。學校的課外活動不少,小兒是合唱團和管弦樂團的團員,在訓練過程可學習到紀律和互相合作的重要性。學生的學術水平不弱,不過不會是全港頂尖的級數。中英文都不錯,但英文肯定沒DGPS的好,因DGPS是以英文為主,但普通話應有過之而無不及。小兒曾在街上給一內地人欄著問路,小兒的對答令該內地人以為小兒亦是內起人。我們到北京旅行時,北京人都認為小兒的普通話十分標準。不過小兒最懷念的是小六的寄宿生活。由於在校五年,且每兩年分班一次,所以小兒和全級大部份同學是認識的。他在寄宿的最大得著並不是學懂獨立(在校寄宿時可能非常獨立,但回到家中,由於有工人照顧,依賴性又會故態復萌),反而是寄宿生活令他可以與他的好朋友朝夕相對,同享喜怒哀樂,這是其他學校所不能有的。不過有小數同學會不適應寄宿生活的,特別是那些性格比較內向,朋友又少的小朋友。我曾經問過小兒他會否將他的學校推薦給其他小朋友,他毫不猶疑的說會全力推薦,顯然他是十分喜歡他的母校。按我的觀察,聖小的學生一般比較活潑、自信、樂觀,成績未必是頂尖級數,但在小學生涯能培養到這般性格,我都於願已足了。

已經說得太多,有機會再談談小兒這兩年多的中學生涯。
作者: chan_wingyee    時間: 10-10-29 23:49

My daughter is currently G1 student at SSCPS.  She loves everything about the school.  She once told me: we have less carbon dioxide, because we have more trees.

Workload is manageable.  Example today (Friday), we only got 3 HW, in which 2 has been finished at school already.  Weekly dictation.  And quiz after a chapter is taught.

Proximity maybe the prime concern for most families.  But the school bus route covers nearly the whole HK Island.

I believe learning is a life-long process, may God guide all parents to find a suitable school for your kid!
作者: ssskwan    時間: 10-10-29 23:50

This has been my dream school since I was a student myself......if not for the location.  Do you live near it?  How long does it take for your girl to travel to school/home?

原帖由 ellylau 於 10-10-29 20:13 發表
PhdJessisema,  

看來你對SSCPS特別推祟喎~~  你的PRESENTATION SKILL禁特別, 好似要人不認同你不可. 不過你花了這麼多時間撰寫, 分析, 值得一讚. 言論有自由啊 :)

作為ST. STEPHEN 今年G1的家長, 容許我說幾句吧, ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:27

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:33

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:37

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:40

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:43

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:46

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:49

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 00:51

作者: fsforth    時間: 10-10-30 11:05

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-10-30 00:37 發表
Your points of view just coincide of what I said. SSCPS should be the 2nd best. Another reasonable sound choice for SPCCPS, DGS and DBS. .... Anyway, I seldomly heard kids got accepted by SPCCPS, DG/D ...

你覺得可以同時有 DB/DG and SSC offer 的小朋友, 他應該會有什麼特質? 請詳述.
作者: Vinchoy    時間: 10-10-30 11:53

本人對哩間學校十分有興趣, 好想幫小兒報讀!
但有一D問題想問下現就讀spccps家長, 麻煩幫忙~
1)請問佢地interview係咩形式?
2 )會否需要in埋家長?
3) 佢地中意收咩學生?
4)會唔會只收有錢人學生?
5)除左學費, 仲有冇其他extra費用要收?
6) 6年班是否一定要寄宿?
謝謝!

原帖由 ssckid 於 10-10-29 23:20 發表
剛巧路過這裡,看到各位家長的討論,也想分享我對「聖小」和聖士提反書院「聖書」的一些意見,以供各家長參考。

小兒在聖小度過六年時光,現就讀於聖書的中三。小兒的小學生活可以說是愉快、充實。學校的老師十分關心、愛 ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 14:11

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 14:18

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-30 20:40

作者: ameliethong    時間: 10-10-30 22:02

My daughter is now G.1 @ sscps  and the class has dictation + quiz  everyweek since mid October... actually quite competitive, the class teacher always talking about the marks so I guess the school has changed the learning atmosphere and our kids will go to SSC in the future, the academic standard / performance will have a big step-forward by then...

[ 本帖最後由 ameliethong 於 10-10-30 22:05 編輯 ]
作者: thomasha    時間: 10-10-30 22:10

from whom, if I may ask?  An authentic source?
原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-10-30 20:40 發表
Heard that 2nd interview letter would be sent next week

作者: ssckid    時間: 10-10-30 22:29     標題: 聖小的疑慮

從論壇可得知不少家長都曾考慮應否為孩子報讀聖小,考慮的原因主要為以下數點:

由於學費不便宜,學校可能偏好家境富裕的孩子。事實是大部分的家長都是一般的中產家庭。家住南區海怡半島的很多,往該區的校巴也有好幾部。

這是一間happy school,學術方面可能不太著重。事實是學生的質素相常不錯。我小兒小六畢業時(2008年,即聖士提反書院轉直資的第一屆),有四個成績比較優秀的都去了DGSBellinoisSt. Paul Co-ed。這些小孩的能力絕對不比超級名校的差,不過,成績最優秀的都還是留在聖士提反書院。所以不需要擔心中學的學生質素。小學由於學校沒劃分精英班,同學間的競爭心理不強,大家相處融洽,學習自然較為輕鬆。

中學的公開試成績不大好。自從中學轉為直資後,學校的成績不斷進步,當然和超級名校還有相當距離,但是差別已漸漸縮小。今年學校出了一個九優生,整體獲優良的數目是創校以來最多的。舊年亦出了創校以來的第一個十優生。我認識一位曾在該校任教的老師,他指出學校在轉直資前最大的問題是學生間的問題。由於中學約一半學生為聖小畢業生,另一半為其它小學經派位轉來的。這兩批學生無論出身、英文程度、見識都有很大距離,融合並不容易。這問題在轉為直資後已不存在,因為學校可自主收生,所以學生的背景和能力都比較接近。我兒和轉校生的相處亦相當融洽,完全沒有聖小與非聖小之分。學校對於成績也比以前著緊,我兒在中一和中二的小測不多,但到了中三便經常小測,以強化已學習的內容。

其實每間學校都有各自的教育理念和方法,所以沒有那所學校是最好的。聖小的學生比較開朗、自信、合群。如果這些是你希望學校能帶給孩子的,那麼聖小可說是不錯的選擇。
作者: ahtan    時間: 10-10-31 01:34

Thanks. Do you know if they will call in batches, or like SPCCPS, call only for a few days and if you don't get called, it's no chance?
Can someone from BK share whether they get called??

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-10-30 00:43 發表
Unexpectely, this year of applicants score unexpected hugh numbers. Finally they only accept 99 students, normally half boys and half girls.

I heard that there should be around 300 kids placing for  ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-10-31 02:44

作者: ssspwong    時間: 10-10-31 16:15

Thank you very much for the sharing!

原帖由 ssckid 於 10-10-30 22:29 發表
從論壇可得知不少家長都曾考慮應否為孩子報讀聖小,考慮的原因主要為以下數點:

由於學費不便宜,學校可能偏好家境富裕的孩子。事實是大部分的家長都是一般的中產家庭。家住南區海怡半島的很多,往該區的校巴也有好幾 ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-2 02:33

作者: Jack0128    時間: 10-11-2 10:10

PhdJessiema,

Thank you for your sharing.
Agreed with you, SSCPS is a school with loved and heart. Students like the school life very much, and the enviroment is so wonderful. My son is blessed and he is studying in this happy school. 100%, I will let him study SSC.  

Right now, English level changes to very high, starting from Grade 1, there is composition (writing food menu). Grade 2 writing Report. Anyway, children are learning very fast. Teachers will do revision to prepare dictation, test and exam for them.

作者: survivor    時間: 10-11-2 12:47     標題: SSCPS Fans 做多了

我認同部份留言者所說,SSCPS Fans太hard sell了,真的做多了。今天的SSCPS和過去真的不可同日而語!我同意是好了,但在此時此刻,暫不能稱為四大天王。

不過,我在first interview及電聯過程中都欣賞SSCPS的員工好有耐性及修養。如果SSCPS所有員工都這樣好,相信有一天都會被公認為天王級學校,因為有耐性及修養的員工才會教出好學生。

因我家住新界,上次first interview要早2小時出發,但我都好重視,因SSCPS員工都好尊重每一個小朋友及家長。
作者: runme    時間: 10-11-2 13:25

I also think that SSCPS cannot be said together with DBS/DGS/Co-edu, because SSCPS is not emphasized on academic result.  

May be that students from SSCPS are not the top students of HK, but I think they may be the healthest students because of fresh air, good environment, own canteen, musical training, teachers' caring....

It depends on parents' choice.  If parents like their kids to have heavy homework, keen competition, study and sleep late, many tutorials outside, talent in all aspect, remember don't don't don't ... don't choose this school.

[ 本帖最後由 runme 於 10-11-2 13:26 編輯 ]
作者: survivor    時間: 10-11-2 13:45     標題: 有兩個exit points

我覺得入一間學校應該consider兩個exit points:

[1]一個是中學畢業公開試成續;
[2]一個是中學畢業後的工作成就。

對於[1]我不知道不便多談![試問其他BK家長,SSCPS中學公開考試成續如何?如果有opportunity參加second interview,我會問一問。]

對於[2],我相信良好的social skills好重要,我有一個朋友是SSCPS old boy,就因為好多人話一個'nice'字,在他的專業行業中非常成功!
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 01:39

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 01:46

作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-11-3 08:56

Figure won't lie, intrepretation can lie due to different scenario.

You have an assumption of the student profiles are the same and parents no preference among those schools, I doubt it.

If my kid is top Band 1 (for illustration sack), definitely he will apply for DBS, SPC as top choice, but I also know so many bright kids will compete for the places, so I will apply SSC as back-up.

If two interviews are clashed, what's your choice? If two offers in hand like DBS & SSP finally, I will take DBS.

Just use application data to draw the conclusion............. too simple

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-11-3 08:59 編輯 ]
作者: runme    時間: 10-11-3 09:27

yes, we cannot simply look at the figure.  E.g. for TSL (陳守仁), 3,800 applicants compete for 150 places i.e. 3.9%, does it mean the best school in town ?

But I believe that if SSCPS is not in Stanley, the competition would be much more keen.

Also, if parents use SSCPS as backup for DBS/DGS/Co-edu, that means they are of similar 'level' in their mind.

PhdJessiema, is your kid(s) studying in SSCPS, or you applied DBS/DGS/Co-edu before but rejected before (just to clarify any conflict of interest).  

If you don't mind, can you share with us which school your kid(s) is studying now?  Why not SSCPS if you said it was so good ?
作者: YimhYimh    時間: 10-11-3 09:42

I really doubt the total of applicant for SSCPS in this year has over 2K pcs. In last year, total applicant is only 700.

The school is good. However, the remote location restricts the # of applications.

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-11-3 01:39 發表
I understood in so many parents hearts, SSCPS is not as comparable as to SPCCPS, DB/DG, most because of the academic results. ANyway, people thinking can't be changed easily and they tends to follow t ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 16:16

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 16:24

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 16:29

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 16:37

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 20:49

作者: wootaitai    時間: 10-11-3 22:27

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-3 22:43

作者: wootaitai    時間: 10-11-3 23:05

作者: ahtan    時間: 10-11-3 23:16

I agree with wootaitai. In general, local schools' students have to work harder....not only those 3 schools mentioned here. I have friends' kids in Sacred Heart, St. Joseph and LS, they all study really hard.
I personally know friends from SPCCPS, DGS and DBS. It's no doubt that there is heavy workload, but the kids there are all happy and love their schools. They are also given opportunities and explore different areas.
I agree also that SSCPS is a great school and it's a good balance between traditional local schools and international school. I really like the campus and the use of Mandarin and English as teaching medium.
Every school has its good points and weak points. It's just depends on your kid's character. I know a kid studying in SSCPS and he loves playing sports. He plays basketball, tennis and track and fields. He said because the workload is not that heavy, he can have more time to practice. So it's a suitable school for him. I don't doubt the fact that when it comes to applying for P1, all those 4 schools mentioned here are top choices.  

原帖由 wootaitai 於 10-11-3 23:05 發表
tough school work just applies to Traditional local schools in general

EG.

http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=2248207&extra=page%3D1

But I tend to believe that the point about good sc ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-4 16:38

作者: ssspwong    時間: 10-11-4 18:48

Thank you for the sharing. I concur with your opinions.

Nowadays, tertiary education is already a basic requirement for better careers. People need to pursue post-graduate diplomas, master degrees, PhD... That is life-long learning. Don't push the kids too early, too much, too harsh and they will lose their motives for learning.

Hence, I wish my kid to enjoy his school life and has a good foundation for future study -- good language, good self-learning skills, curiosity/interests for knowledge, etc...

I don't doubt SSCPS's academic standards. In fact, I observed that many parents of SSCPS's students were winners themselves in Hong Kong's educational system. They should know pretty well how their kids can compete successfully in this "game" if they want to.

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-11-4 16:38 發表
I think nowadays nearly all schools gave too much workloads on children, who need to face an adult's pressure. How can our kids have happy learning?

Can't imagine how's the future of Hk under this so ...

[ 本帖最後由 ssspwong 於 10-11-4 18:51 編輯 ]
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-4 22:56

作者: good-boy    時間: 10-11-5 09:56

In old days, when we were young, the parents didn't care much about our school result.  They didn't know the time for quiz, dictation, test etc.  We still grow up.  Now, I can still recall and enjoy the old days happy life.  

Remember,the most important is kid's health.  One will regret if his/her kid can climb up to be the top sutduent but not healty and not happy.

Similar for adult, you cannot earn all the money.  You scracrify health to work hard but when you are old and look back, you just want to use money to get back health.  But it is too late then ......

[ 本帖最後由 good-boy 於 10-11-6 00:00 編輯 ]
作者: ssspwong    時間: 10-11-5 13:38

Agreed.
An old boy of SSC, a famous doctor, Dr. Tony Shu-kam MOK, had also said that his school life in SSC is one of the happiest and most momorable time for him.

原帖由 good-boy 於 10-11-5 09:56 發表
In old days, when we were young, the parents didn't care much about our school result.  They didn't know the time for quiz, dictation, test etc.  We still grow up.  Now, I can still recall and enjoy t ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 13:55

作者: Sumyeema1    時間: 10-11-5 14:15     標題: 回覆 65# PhdJessiema 的文章

Who is Jobs in SSCPS?
作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-11-5 14:28

原帖由 Sumyeema1 於 10-11-5 14:15 發表
Who is Jobs in SSCPS?

PhdJessiema...............:D,  just kidding.

You mean the head teacher?
作者: thomasha    時間: 10-11-5 14:33

May I ask how you got the number of applicants figures, especially for 2010?  I have tried searching everywhere but in vain.
原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-11-5 13:55 發表
That's why I am quite jealous of the kids in SSCPS.

SSCPS = APPLE
SPCCPS = GE
DG = MICROSOFT
DB = IBM

Which schools have growth and more prospects? Surely, SSCPS has well-positioned itself for train ...

作者: Sumyeema1    時間: 10-11-5 15:11

well, that's possible :D :D :D

原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-11-5 14:28 發表

PhdJessiema...............:D,  just kidding.

when PhdJessiema mentioned SSCPS = Apple, I wonder if the current head teacher has the same abilities as Jobs....
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:20

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:25

作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-11-5 16:26

I have three friends, all their boys applied SPCCPS, DBSPD and SSCPS (n DSS & provate primary school). Their status for 2nd interview.

SPCCPS  DBSPD  SSCPS
A              Y            Y         Y
B              N           N         Y
C              N           N         Y

ABC are either professional or business owner, moms are full-time housewives.
作者: Sumyeema1    時間: 10-11-5 16:29     標題: 回覆 72# ANChan59 的文章

Is boy A very smart?
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:29

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:35

作者: 3lamma    時間: 10-11-5 16:37

Agreed with runme very much.

[quote]原帖由 runme 於 10-11-3 09:27 發表
yes, we cannot simply look at the figure.  E.g. for TSL (陳守仁), 3,800 applicants compete for 150 places i.e. 3.9%, does it mean the best school in town ?

Besides, it seems that there is something wrong with the stat. when I read the previous posts, not to mention whether the source of the number of applicants is accurate.
E.g.  SPCCPS     150/2500(mixed gender) = 6% chance for each child regardless of sex
You CAN"T just do 6%/2 = 3% for each gender.
Because you don't know the proportion of boys/girls among the 2500 applicants. For instance, if there are 1300 girls and assuming that the sch will take in 75 girls (coz 150 new p.1), then the chance for girls will be 75/1300 = 5.8%, and it will be 75/1200=6.3% for boys then given that the sch. wants to have similar no. of B and G in each grade.

Similarly, surely you can't say, oh, if DBS is not a boy school, its application number will be doubled = 2300 * 2 = 4600

Thanks for all the info. anyways.
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:45

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:48

作者: ANChan59    時間: 10-11-5 16:51     標題: 回覆 75# PhdJessiema 的文章

You just twisted other's point, is it your Phd research topic??????

My point is so simple, SSCPS still not upto the par as SPCCPS and DBSPD, no matter how you hard sell the school. That's why I didn't say who is old boy and their social status.
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:56

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 16:58

作者: hui916    時間: 10-11-5 17:01

If you are so confident about the academic standard of SSCPS, and are so proud that their English level is higher than other schools, why could their headmistress write such a letter of acceptance last year:
Source: http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=2165989&extra=&page=2
================================

Dear Parents,

Your application for Grade One admission for XXX has been successful. We could, therefore, like to request you to register and confirm your acceptance of the offer and pay the fees on the designated date. Delay in doing so would be considered your willful forteiture of the offer which will be given to someone else in the waiting list.

Yours sincerely,

Agnes Wai (Ms.)
Headmistress

Please note the following:
1. Date of payment: 23rd November (Monday), 2009

2. Office hours: 9:00am - 12:00am

================================
This letter had very poor use of English, with many awkward expressions:

"Delay in doing so would be considered your willful forfeiture of the offer which will be given to someone else in the waiting list"

"Willful" is a very negative word, not appropriate in such an official letter.

"Which" should not be used in the context of the sentence.

I think schools like SPCC, DGS or DBS will be more professional in handling this type of official communications.

Many parents who received the offer letter from SSCPS last year thought it was forged, not being a real one.

You can argue that this letter was not written by the headmistress herself. But as the head of the school, shouldn't she be responsible for controlling the process and final output?

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-11-5 16:29 發表
Apple success can not rely on just one person. Jobs is spiritual leader only. When we look at SSCPS, all staff bear a very good quality and ability, e.g. well-trained, U-graduated, mostly natural dial ...

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:03

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:10

作者: overview    時間: 10-11-5 17:10

SSCPS可能係你心目中係Hermes, 但好多人心目中既Hermes就係女拔.

原帖由 PhdJessiema 於 10-11-5 17:03 發表
I am fed up with the people saying that I'm hard-selling the schools. It's not the truth.

Nowadays SSCPS is very , very hard to get acceptance.

SSCPS = Hermes

SPCCPS = LV

DB/DG = Gucci/Dior only

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:12

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:14

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:16

作者: kochiman2004    時間: 10-11-5 17:17

原帖由 overview 於 10-11-5 17:10 發表
SSCPS可能係你心目中係Hermes, 但好多人心目中既Hermes就係女拔.

死囉…我用G2000 & Giodanro ... is it very cheap ?
作者: thomasha    時間: 10-11-5 17:18

I have an idea.  PhdJessiema may want to send her numerous posts on BK to SSCPS.  I'm sure the school will find them beneficial to be included in their brochure or web site.  However, I hope she will not charge a high copyright fee to the school on the information adopted by them even though she has done a lot of research and used her wide network to obtain the information and arrive at her opinions.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the forthcoming 2nd interview, even though its date will coincide with a previously planned competition.  I hope parents interviewed early will share the content of their interview process soon so that we can prepare ourselves better in this brand new arrangement.
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 17:36

作者: hui916    時間: 10-11-5 18:05     標題: 回覆 11# PhdJessiema 的文章

Let's not use so many analogies to confuse the picture. You have already thrown out a bunch of words such as Apple, IBM, Microsoft, LV, Hermes and etc, and will probably keep bringing BMW, Benz, Audi, Rose-Royce....These types of superficial wordings do not mean too much to the discussions, and are inconclusive at all.

SPCC's headmistress may not very proficient in English, but what parents care is their output: as much as 80% of their students get 5* or 5 in English in HKCEE. About 50%+ of SPCC graduates got 4A+ or above in recent three years. Only DGS have comparable results. If you talk to their kids and parents, you will find that SPCC is no longer a traditional school. Most kids there enjoy learning, like challenges and competitions. They have managed to maintain a balanced school life, along with outstanding academic results.

Can you have a more fact-based discussion?

1. How many SSCP graduates got into local Us through "early admission program"?

2. Percentage of students with 14 points or above in HKCEE?

3. No of distinction attained and average distinction per student, with English subject in particular?

4. Number of students admitted/matriculated with top US/UK universities: Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford/MIT/Berkeley/Columbia/Chicago/Oxford/Cambridge, if any??

You always say that SCCPS is the training ground for future leaders, but this cannot be substantiated unless you provide more quantifiable and measurable information. How can you be so sure that this will be materialized in the future? How long is the future from now? In the long run we are all dead!
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-5 18:17

作者: hui916    時間: 10-11-5 20:32

Well, you have shared many interesting insights about SCPCS, and made comparisons with other top schools in many dimension. Then you jumped to the conclusion that SCPCS is the best school. Your reasons behind can be boiled down to the following points:

Use of English/PTH in primary section

Happy learning and quality of life

Nice campus

Head of schools and teachers are very caring with students at heart

Improving academic results

Activities focused on teamwork and creativity

Nowadays many band 3 or bottom schools have similar types of approach.

From my point of view, none of these advantages, nor all things above combined, are sufficient for you to make the claim that “SCPCS is the best”. Rather, this is simply your wishful thinking, or even your imagination. To really stand out from the crowd, parents need to see some tangible measures, and SCPCS excel itself in public exams, university placements, contests, among others.

The biggest problem our kids face nowadays is the lack of motivation, determination and persistence. Primary and secondary school education is supposed to cultivate good habits. Students in SPCC/DGS/DGS no doubt face more pressure and competition when they advance to the senior grades. But a reasonable amount of pressure will make the kids work harder. Only with certain types of failures and setbacks can our kids become mature, and learn something useful to their life. Smart kids know how to adapt and adjust to a competitive environment. All kids I learned of at the above three schools enjoy their school life.

You are also flawed in some basic probability calculations: 99 successful applicants out of near 2000. 5% only. If taking out half boys/girls, percentage dropped to 2.5%. Assuming 50:50 boys and girls mix, do you think the denominator shouldn’t be cut half when you take out either girls or boys from the numerator? You should go to a Form 4 Mathematics class to learn something about Probability.

作者: kidder    時間: 10-11-5 21:20

假的真不了,真的假不了。

父母為子女找合適學校各有不同及多方面考慮和比較,難道只靠看網上片言隻字嗎!

每間學校皆有其吸引之處,成長路漫漫,何須太主觀去批判呢?
作者: qqzzma    時間: 10-11-5 21:44

posted deleted...

[ 本帖最後由 qqzzma 於 10-11-5 22:25 編輯 ]
作者: good-boy    時間: 10-11-6 00:16

Though I also think that PhdJessmiea is too hard sell SSCPS, I thank you her effort to provide the information.

Actually, no need to argue which school is the best because different parents/students have different values.  Some like more hard traning while others like less pressure.  

Perhaps, we should talk more the FACTUAL matter and less personal feeling and no personal attack.
作者: LittleKidult    時間: 10-11-6 02:40

或者我都講下, 先申報, 我地算低下層, 我大仔今年係ssc升F6, 今年會考應該唔夠50%高過14分, 第一階段收返83個本校生. 當然同其他幾間相比, 如果淨睇成績, 一定唔夠其他幾間好, 呢個係事實. 但我同我仔都好鍾意學校環境, 絕大部份老師都好好, 學生都OK乖. 至少佢d同學都好有禮貌.
而我細仔係另外三間其中一間讀緊, 如果講比較兩個仔既同學, 我會比較鍾意ssc, 打親電話都好有禮貌, 而細仔既同學就比我感覺冇禮貌同有講粗口習慣, 我都向學校反映過, 同埋佢好多同學玩電腦玩到好夜, 最後因為呢樣野同我地噪過, 最後家長日我又同老師反映, 老師有同學生講過, 不過最後佢地都係咁夜訓(2~3點).....
而且細仔間學校競爭都幾大, 每年都有10個8個走(唔好諗住係名校就係完美, 聽細仔講有d跟本係band3生行為).
其實有好多人都唔鍾意或者唔認識ssc, 當年d同學家長/我d同事個個聽到第一個反應係咁遠咁偏僻.........
總之, 自己小朋友鍾意間學校咪得囉.....

[ 本帖最後由 LittleKidult 於 10-11-6 02:41 編輯 ]
作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-6 02:46

作者: PhdJessiema    時間: 10-11-6 02:54

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5