樓主: 中天英
go

Oxford Reading Tree ORT [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 07-12-10 17:12 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

62#
發表於 07-12-10 17:17 |只看該作者
你同我一樣, 主要比d佢鍾意既書佢開始, such as Captain Underpants, MightY Robot, Batman, Spiderman, Sonic, Pokemon, Sponge Bob because those are very familiar to him (TV program) 跟住就揀d較educational, A to Z Mysteries, Horrible Science, Magic School Bus Science Chapter Book...間中都比佢睇d "Manga".  

原文章由 wbady 於 07-12-10 17:05 發表

我家小朋友三年級時看Captain Underpants後自已到互联網找這書之網頁,玩那裡的遊戲,從此愛上此系列之書,並學了很多英文生字,四年級時愛上看A to Z Mysteries 更和作者Ron Roy互通电邮,現在他非常喜歡Horrible及Dead Fam ...

[ 本文章最後由 鳳梨 於 07-12-10 17:21 編輯 ]

63#
發表於 07-12-10 18:09 |只看該作者
原文章由 星級國民 於 07-12-10 11:00 發表

I seldom ask her to read aloud to us story books. Reading aloud is reserved for poems. So we are not sure about reading in that sense. However, if she read books on her own and talked about the story after reading or asking questions about the content, I am quite safe to say that she understands the bulk of it.

It is advisable to ask a child to read aloud if we are talking about reading for the purpose of learning a language. The ORT books are graded readers with that purpose (ie learning the language), so children should start by reading alour.
There is no better way of learning a language, by doing what the native tongues would do.  If we are talking about western way of learning English language (including the way they learn at international schools in Hong Kong adopting a western curriculum), it would be reading aloud.
Do not underestimate the benefit of reading aloud. You cannot tell how much a child can read and understand from a book if he does not read aloud. Knowing the story plot does not indicate he is reading a book of the right level. With books like ORT where there are lots of pictures, he can easily guess what is going on without the real need of knowing the words. So by merely asking questions about the content does not tell you whether you kid is reading a book of the right level.
Qualified western teachers would be able tell you that to conduct a quality reading (both at home and at school) task, we have to ask the kid to read aloud to check whether he can read the word (or if the word is new to him, whether he can get/guess the pronounciation by sounding out or by checking the context/content), and then followed by simple questions about the context/content or discussion of the topic (if book is non-fiction).
Of course, if we are talking about leisure reading, it does not really matter what book you read and it does not matter whether you know how to read all the words. However, I do not think the ORT are generally considered leisure reading books, especially in local schools. So we need to maintain the boundary high.
Parents are tempted to be unconciously too aggressive. But for the genuine benefit of a child, we should really stop and think what we should expect from the reading.
Is our goal merely to have our children move on to harder books? Or is our goal really to have our children learn from the books? If these 2 goals can be acheived at the same time, it would of course be perfect. However, parents are too tempted to sacrifice the later for the former.

[ 本文章最後由 JennyL 於 07-12-10 20:06 編輯 ]

64#
發表於 07-12-10 18:40 |只看該作者
very agreed with you.

原文章由 JennyL 於 07-12-10 18:09 發表

It is advisable to ask a child to read aloud if we are talking about reading for the purpose of learning a language. The ORT books are graded readers with that purpose (ie learning the language), so ...

65#
發表於 07-12-10 21:16 |只看該作者
有ORT,中央圖書館及大會堂圖書館比較整,但沒有練習及CD.

原文章由 棉花糖媽媽 於 07-12-10 14:20 發表
好詳細呀.... thank you 哂 357
但係呢d書係咪圖書館有得借架???
ORT - Read at Home series 又係d乜野黎

66#
發表於 07-12-10 21:52 |只看該作者
講開 reading aloud,請問有冇人知中文是不是都可用同樣的方法?

即是說在幼兒期,教小孩漢語拼音,然後在小孩的讀物裡貼上漢語拼音,好讓他就算不會艱深的中文字,亦可以用普通話朗讀出故事的內容。

英文方面,是否可以在小學前教孩子認44個國際音標?這樣在小學時期,只要在小孩讀物上的 tricky words (即是不跟字母發音的生字) 加上音標,他就能朗讀出課外讀物的內容。這是否 work 呢?

如果不是native speakers,在中文讀物的難字上寫下英文同義詞,而在英文讀物的生字寫上中文同義詞。這是好主意,還是壞主意呢?

仔仔今年三歲,他和囡囡(九歲)是用英文交談,這是一個人為的語文環境。他們已習慣了用英文交談,但這種人為的語文環境是否不能長久呢?

我聽說太子附近有一些專補名校學生的學校,這些補習學校除了可幫到校內成績外,是否可以真的提升英語能力呢?有沒有人有這種經驗。

[ 本文章最後由 ChiChiPaPa 於 07-12-10 21:53 編輯 ]

67#
發表於 07-12-10 22:08 |只看該作者
原文章由 JennyL 於 07-12-10 18:09 發表

It is advisable to ask a child to read aloud if we are talking about reading for the purpose of learning a language. The ORT books are graded readers with that purpose (ie learning the language), so ...

The Oxford Reading Tree storybook boxes and the Read at Home series are designed for the purpose of leisure reading (reading for fun). Visit their website (http://www.oup.com/oxed/children/readathome/) and you will know the purpose of these books.

If you need read aloud material, ORT has a poetry collection called Poetry Chest. (http://www.oup.com/oxed/children/poetry/). Poetries and rhymes are for reading aloud and memorizing. There are plenty of such books beyond ORT. Encourage your kids to take part in the school speech festival.

Addition read aloud ORT material for schools is a set of drama scripts based on the story books. So school kids should not read aloud the story but the scripts.

All modern reading research advises against the practice of reading aloud fiction and non-fiction books because that habit will slow down reading speed later on in life.

[ 本文章最後由 星級國民 於 07-12-10 23:01 編輯 ]

68#
發表於 07-12-10 22:12 |只看該作者
原文章由 christf
07-12-10 17:12 發表

However, I never made logical error and that is why what I could have achieved in all other non-language subjects.

People with little formal training in language or logics have difficulties in recognising their own mistakes.

Have you heard about the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem? Of course, you would not find such words in the Advanced Learner's Dictionary which you rely as authority. Google them please.

Just a bit of simple reading will help you to know that arguing by labelling your opponents as stupid is a common kind of logical error.

Ignorance breeds contempt

[ 本文章最後由 星級國民 於 07-12-10 22:27 編輯 ]

69#
發表於 07-12-10 22:22 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

70#
發表於 07-12-10 22:58 |只看該作者
ChiChiPaPa,

I fully support stccmc's advice.

Just an additional piece of information about tutorial schools. I would recommend the Kid's GaXXXX in Kowloon Tong. They are not helping school work but training real English like peotry reading, drama and speech, presentation skills etc for childern (K to P).

71#
發表於 07-12-10 23:06 |只看該作者
原文章由 wbady 於 07-12-10 17:05 發表

我家小朋友三年級時看Captain Underpants後自已到互联網找這書之網頁,玩那裡的遊戲,從此愛上此系列之書,並學了很多英文生字,四年級時愛上看A to Z Mysteries 更和作者Ron Roy互通电邮,現在他非常喜歡Horrible及Dead Fam ...

wbady,

請問你的孩子有沒有考FCE?是否有可能在小學時期在FCE拿到很好的Grade?

[ 本文章最後由 ChiChiPaPa 於 07-12-10 23:07 編輯 ]

72#
發表於 07-12-11 09:58 |只看該作者
原文章由 星級國民 於 07-12-10 22:08 發表

The Oxford Reading Tree storybook boxes and the Read at Home series are designed for the purpose of leisure reading (reading for fun). Visit their website (http://www.oup.com/oxed/children/readathom ...

There are 2 main types of reading.
Leisure reading is reading for no purpose other than for personal entertainment. I read a lot for leisure, my children too. My elder child is now reading some of my Agatha Christie's Poirot books which are definitely difficult for her. Many words are difficult for her, the English in the books is old fashioned and the context can be quite mature. But since that is leisure reading, she does not have to know all the words. All she has been doing is to read for the plot. And I just let her do it.
The ORT is definitely not one of those leisure reading books, at least not in your case, since your child is reading it with the purpose of learning English. Rather, the series was developed with the main purpose of teaching the language. In fact, I know that some local kindergarten or primary incorporate this set of books as part of their English language teaching tool books and student are using them in class. It is not like my Poirot books or even the Harry Potter series, which the authors did not intend to teach the English language with their books. Using the Harry Potter books as an example, even young western kids might have problems understanding some of the more challenging words. But we would not stop them from reading (I do not want to discuss about the context, which some very religious people think is "evil") just because there are words that they do not unerstand. They are merely reading the books as leisure reading, they are merely reading for the story itself. As long as they know what happened next, they are pleased.
The ORT is not the same. The sole purpose of levelling the books is to monitor the reading level of children and help them improve. In western education, both reading and spelling are systematicall levelled. Western teachers would tell parents how to select books for children as part of the home reading program. The simplest way is to check how many words in one page (full of words with no pictures) that a child cannot read. If there are more than 6, the book is too difficult. Now I am talking about books much more advanced than the ORT. I am talking about chapter books like, say, Roald Dahl books. For the ORT books where tere are so many big pictures, I would say at most 2 words that a kid cannot read in one page would be the limit. Then after the kid has learnt the words (the meaning and pronounciation), he can move on.
The children need to go on to the next reading level when they are ready. When are they ready? How do we tell they are ready? There is no way better than asking him to read aloud. If a child is skipping the more challenging words, he can still know the story but he is not learning that word he skipped. And without learning the words in a ORT book in a lower level, I do not think a child should move on to the next.
I wrote my previous message (and this) with the purpose of sharing my own experience as a mother with 2 children, one of them is now in secondary school. My children have out grown the levelled readers a long time ago. They are now in much more advanced books. My elder child is now into her first year in secondary school where her English class is more of literature appreciation than the language skills itself. However, since both of my childre have once read the ORT books, I know how the books were designed to work, and wanted to share my views.
I am merely putting forth some of my personal views of hot to utilize the ORT a better way. If you like it your way, that's good. If you are happy with your child's progress, that's good. But I am sure some other parents would like to see an alternative way of utilizing the ORT books.
I have been a parent volunteer at my younger child's class (primary school) to hear children read to me. It is part of the reading program where children are to get a book of the correct level (This is not leisure reading, but with the purpose of improving their reading skills.) I noticed that even native English speaking children can have the problem of choosing books. Girls tend to choose very difficult books; and boys tend to choose very easy books. There are exception of course but children just do not know how to choose books to read (for this reading program, not leisure reading), for the specific purpose (ie to improve reading skills), and teachers and parents were to help them. They were asked to read to us, so that we can tell them whether the book chose is ok. Children would not benefit if they have chosen books that are not of the appropriate level to read. Either way, they would not be learning as efficiently as they should have.

73#
發表於 07-12-11 10:07 |只看該作者
JennyL,

Thks for yr sharing!

原文章由 JennyL 於 07-12-11 09:58 發表

Leisure reading is reading for no purpose other than for personal entertainment. I read a lot for leisure, my children too. My elder child is now reading some of  ...

74#
發表於 07-12-11 10:18 |只看該作者
講開 reading aloud,請問有冇人知中文是不是都可用同樣的方法?
<=== I would think so. Without reading aloud, you just cannot tell whether a child has the correct pronounciation. Even with Cantonese, many children have "lan yam" and do not pronounce a word properly. If we are talking about learning Putonghua, children of course should be encouraged to read aloud. I just do not see how reading aloud can be bad.

即是說在幼兒期,教小孩漢語拼音,然後在小孩的讀物裡貼上漢語拼音,好讓他就算不會艱深的中文字,亦可以用普通話朗讀出故事的內容。
<=== Do not overdo in putting in the pinyin. My experience is that, my younger child was once very dependent on the pinyin. He has in fact been reading directly fromt he pinyin instead of the chinese words.

英文方面,是否可以在小學前教孩子認44個國際音標?這樣在小學時期,只要在小孩讀物上的 tricky words (即是不跟字母發音的生字) 加上音標,他就能朗讀出課外讀物的內容。這是否 work 呢?
<=== Not sure whether it is good. But my children never learnt 國際音標, or phonics. They have always been taught to chop up words and were encouraged to sound them out.

如果不是native speakers,在中文讀物的難字上寫下英文同義詞,而在英文讀物的生字寫上中文同義詞。這是好主意,還是壞主意呢?
<=== My experience is that, writing the meaning in the corresponding language should be better.

仔仔今年三歲,他和囡囡(九歲)是用英文交談,這是一個人為的語文環境。他們已習慣了用英文交談,但這種人為的語文環境是否不能長久呢?
<=== If they continue to so so, yes, they might eventually be very used to speaking with each other in English. My children are exactly like this.

我聽說太子附近有一些專補名校學生的學校,這些補習學校除了可幫到校內成績外,是否可以真的提升英語能力呢?有沒有人有這種經驗。
<=== My children have never 補習. (With 2 children of different ages that are very active and have lots of sports interests, sometimes it is hard to fit this into our schedule.) But if you are able to find a good tutor, we should, however, not underestimate the benefit. I know that some 補習學校 has their own very systematic way of teaching which can boost up English skills for local school children.

75#
發表於 07-12-11 10:21 |只看該作者
JennyL

Really share your view. Thanks for sharing

Leisure reading is reading for no purpose other than for personal entertainment. I read a lot for leisure, my children too. My elder child is now reading some of  ...

76#
發表於 07-12-11 11:55 |只看該作者

·
I think there are points to discuss concerning ways to use ORT as a tool to learn English.
·
(1) I think reading for leisure will help learning of English a lot. Actually there is much research evidence for the level of proficiency being related to the amount of extra-class reading. So do not assume that leisure reading is not part of learning English.
·
(2) If you would like to check whether kids are choosing the correct ORT stages, Oxford has published comprehension worksheets to go with the books. Those are much better tools for judging reading at appropriate levels.
·
(3) For in class reading (of the same book) or at home reading, comprehension level can be checked by discussions on the content of the books.
··
(4) Reading aloud is a poor way of checking understanding. Many of us may have the experience of reading a piece which we know every words but the meaning is difficult to grasp. If you know all the words, you can read aloud. [Actually, I can read aloud a piece of German without knowing the meanings of most of the words]. However, with complex sentence structures and complicated lines of thought, the meaning can be difficult to follow. Learning to read is reading for meaning, not sound.
··
(5) Go and visit any Kumon centre and you will know that this graded read aloud method has been the standard practice of Kumon. It has been shown to be of very limited use in both Japan (English) and Hong Kong (English and Putonghua).
··
(6) Especially the later stages and the tree-top series, the language used is not for reading aloud. Those of us with experience will know that we have to use different language structures in writing a speech and writing a paper report. The same applies to writing stories to be read aloud and to be read silently.
··
(7) That is why oxford has prepared drama scripts to accompany the school set. The drama scripts have been designed with the purpose of reading aloud. So if read aloud activities are needed in school. Those drama scripts should be used.

There is nothing personal. There would not be serios harm by occasionally asking kids to read aloud. However, I do think that there are much better ways to use ORT and its related resource packs.

[ 本文章最後由 星級國民 於 07-12-11 11:58 編輯 ]

77#
發表於 07-12-11 12:11 |只看該作者
點解好似咁complicated.

讀書唔一定要speak aloud
especially睇緊小說, 追緊劇情,
只要上心就得啦

原文章由 星級國民 於 07-12-11 11:55 發表

·
I think there are points to discuss concerning ways to use ORT as a tool to learn English.
·
(1) I think reading for leisure will help learning of English a lot. Actually there is much research e ...

[ 本文章最後由 鳳梨 於 07-12-11 12:13 編輯 ]

78#
發表於 07-12-11 15:26 |只看該作者
原文章由 星級國民 於 07-12-11 11:55 發表

·
(7) That is whyoxford has prepared drama scripts to accompany the school set. Thedrama scripts have been designed with the purpose of reading aloud. Soif read aloud activities are needed in school. Those drama scriptsshould be used.I think there are points to discuss concerning ways to use ORT as a tool to learn English.
·

講起drama,有冇人知戲劇教學是不是真的能提升對英國文學的興趣?以下有一篇報導講女拔有使用戲劇教學。「…每學年她亦會安排學生觀看話劇,並邀請資深戲劇工作者來校演講,希望加強學生的文學修養。…」

http://paper.wenweipo.com/2007/09/17/ED0709170015.htm

79#
發表於 07-12-11 15:35 |只看該作者
原文章由 鳳梨 於 07-12-11 12:11 發表
點解好似咁complicated.

讀書唔一定要speak aloud
especially睇緊小說, 追緊劇情,
只要上心就得啦

Agreed 100%.
There is no need to read aloud if you are reading a book for the story, eg Harry Potter series.

My suggestion of reading aloud was a one off task; and for those levelled readers only.
My child has to read aloud to me to see whether he can pronounce the words.
If he could not pronounce a word, I would teach him how to pronounce it. Then he is to stick to the same level for some time.

[ 本文章最後由 JennyL 於 07-12-11 17:24 編輯 ]

80#
發表於 07-12-11 15:42 |只看該作者
呢度係"小學雜談", 已經去度"文學修養", 勁

女拔都係中學先用戲劇教學?

原文章由 ChiChiPaPa 於 07-12-11 15:26 發表

講起drama,有冇人知戲劇教學是不是真的能提升對英國文學的興趣?以下有一篇報導講女拔有使用戲劇教學。「…每學年她亦會安排學生觀看話劇,並邀請資深戲劇工作者來校演講,希望加強學生的文學修養。…」

http://paper.we ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題