用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 St Paul Boys 及 聖類斯小學 程度相差幾遠呢? ...
發新帖
查看: 4283|回覆: 4
go

St Paul Boys 及 聖類斯小學 程度相差幾遠呢? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-10-30 11:59 |顯示全部帖子
Yes, the top 30% SPCPS P1 students usually score an average around 90 but the passing mark is still 60.   Don't give too much pressure to the kids because a balance school life is more important than high marks.  Boys are more energetic but shy in sitting still to study.  So a balance daily schedule will help them to grow in not only health but also academic strength.

From my experience, scoring high mark is not everything, the school does not ask for just that.  If you trust her words, she wants the development of a whole person.  My boy is now in P6, the school still encourages ECA and P6 students are still engaging in many inter-school events.  Yesterday, I even needed to write a letter to a teacher in giving reason why my kid did not attend one particular session of an ECA, and funny enough, the reason was that he clashed his schedule due to an inter-school match.  And I am fine with that.  This is why St. Paul's is a very good school for my boy, she offers a balance development for him without the pain to battle for good banding.

In saying so, the school does ask for a reasonable academic strength because most of the boys will go to the secondary school.   However, the selection criteria does show that the school has strong confident in her students.  The top criteria of going to the secondary session is good conduct and a good pass in P6 as the second criteria.  In my understanding, a good pass is around 70 in average with no fail in major subjects.

I trust St. Louis School also has all the benefits as St. Paul's because Salesians of Don Bosco, who are running the school, is an order having delicated so much in bringing up many fine young men for HK.  I still deeply appreciate my time in her evening school.

[ 本帖最後由 hogwarts 於 08-10-30 12:33 編輯 ]

2#
發表於 08-10-30 12:25 |顯示全部帖子
Hi LittleKidult,

There are still As from the recent P6 test.   The Principal has given good rationales in not giving recomendation letter in a P5/6 briefing, I trust it is the same briefing as mentioned by you.   

Yes, students are not encouraged to move to other schools and I trust this is a position, which can be understandable, in the very beginning.  Also most of the kids I know do express wishes to go to SPC.  Brotherhood is another important side benefit and changing school will jeopardize this benefit.

If a child can score As in SPCPS, of course he can try many good schools even without a recommendation letter.    Most of the discussion is worry towards SPC's standard.  As most likely, my boy is going to this school in next Sept, I follow the development of the SPC quite closely in the recent years.  I am ok with the school especially with the new principal and their preparation for the new NSS.

3#
發表於 08-10-30 14:17 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Bilobi,

Both YW and SPC have long history and good "brandname".  I don't know much about YW and my view is bound to be biased.  Even one school might be better than the other, it was the parents' and the child's own effort and "luck" would count more in the final outcome.

In my biased views towards SPC, due to limited understanding of YW, the SPC has the following merits:

1.  The new principal is making good influence to the school's performance, in a few years' time, it might help to make visible improvement.  Dr. Kennard has posted his assembly speeches on web and is a good means to understand more about the SPC.  Here is the link:

http://www.spc.edu.hk/profile/principal.php

2.  The tradition of the SPC is very admirable, e.g. she has taken in vision impaired students for over 40 years.  No other teachings can create an environment to teach acceptance and diversity.  Also be able to be part of 155 years of history will hopefully make the child having a sense of pride and responsibility.  Of course, YW has the same long good tradition as well.

3.  I have mentioned their preparation for the new 3-3-4 system, especially the new Liberal Studies, you can visit their LS PowerPoint for parents' info via the link below and have a judgement of your own;

http://www.spc.edu.hk/academic/ls_info.pdf

4.  SPC does have an academic gap when comparing with the schools such as DBS and SPCC.  However, I am always contented with her academic strenght because according to the latest report from their web, if the child is in the top 50%, he will be fine.

5.  SPC does not produce 10 As students and one of the reasons is that the school does not encourage the students to take 10 subjects.  I find this a good policy as schooling shall not be just limited to As.

Finally, if I was in your position, I would make my choice due to other criteria such as travelling time or some minor impressions from all these visits.  

Personally, I am not with Ms. Lam's style, I might get a lot of disapproved responses from YW's parents, as modesty is a rare but real virtue for children.

Please forgive my bias views.

[ 本帖最後由 hogwarts 於 08-10-30 14:58 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 08-10-30 18:35 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Bilobi,

Yes, they are going to move but should be in 2011.

5#
發表於 08-10-31 14:29 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 BMW70 於 08-10-31 12:12 發表
咁test同exam有無分別? 我聽聞 St. Paul 一年兩個測驗兩個考試, 咁測驗分數係唔係無咁緊要? 例如測驗佔40%考試就60%?

平日除咗測驗考試仲有無小測?

謝謝各位寶貴的資料。 ...

BMW70
For SPCPS, there is actually no difference between test & exam. There are 2 tests & 2 exams in an academic yr. Each counts for 25%. In between tests/exams, we do have composition, listening & oral assessments. So pretty busy schedule. But once you have adapted to the mode, then things will go more smoothly.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題