搜索
教育王國 討論區 拔萃女小學 入 DGJS 路 程
發新帖
查看: 38008|回覆: 5
go

入 DGJS 路 程 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-12-23 03:43 |顯示全部帖子 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My daughter is accepted by DGS and since I have learnt tremendously from the generous sharing here.....I would like to share my experience briefly here.
It is tough, for the girl and for you.  So be prepared.
First of all, you will feel the need to equip her with as many skills and 'awards' as you can.  So she would be attending many courses.
Secondly, at home, you would need to spend a lot of time with her, nurturing her.  This means minimum time for yourself.  
Thirdly, it costs $$, unless you are able to teach her everything!  (this is why many parents here have the impression that DGS girls must come from rich families.  This I do not think is true but it's must be true that most are from mid-class who are able to support the kids.  If not, I guess they are willing to spend 90% of the income on the girl or that the girl is a genius herself!).
From my experience, I observed that many kids now as so confident and smart.  Parents are so willing to spend and educate the kids.  So why some get in and some not?
I guess the common abilities DGS looks for are:
- good language skills (at least in English and Cantonese)
- confident girls
- all-round development (academics, sports, social awareness)
And from my experience with Mrs Dai, she comes across very discreet and nice.  She is not proud  (as written by a few BKs) and she seemed quite caring of the girls (held the girls' shoulders when they came out).  But this is based on a very short observation of a few seconds though.
For those BKs whose girls were not accepted, I completely understand your disappointment.  But if you are aiming for DGS, you must have put in tremendous effort.  In that case, your daughters would be good, whereever they are.
   17    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-12-23 21:00 |顯示全部帖子

What awards?

I totally agree with E.D about preparing well ahead.  Even I was slightly late compared to other parents.

As for what awards, I must say I still wonder how Mrs Dai base her selection on.  Because successful candidates (whom I personally know) includes those with lots of certificates & awards and those without any!

The common factor, as I observe, is that their parents are 200% committed.  They are parents who could research, plan and execute the plan to nurture their kids.

To answer your questions about awards and certificates, some e.g. are:
- Trinity
- Speech and Drama
- Swimming
- Choir
- Piano
- Kumon

These are just some examples.

3#
發表於 08-12-24 17:54 |顯示全部帖子

Cost

You are definitely very wise.  If you think of the cost of educating a child (up to university, not forgetting the possibility of sending them abroad), it's indeed a good thing to take up free education in a good school.
On the other hand, (and this is my personal opinion), I think schools like DGJS is very unique in Hong Kong, given the environment of the school which, I believe, can build a very good foundation for my child.  Hence, I would still choose to spend that school fees for my girl.

4#
發表於 08-12-24 17:58 |顯示全部帖子

The queries

Regarding the many queries,
- my husband was not able to submit the form with me.
- yes, both of us did accompany our daughter to the interview
- yes, I think the principle did look at us, very briefly and politely.
- no, we did not wear 'brand' names.  We were dressed smart though, like going to work.
- I'm a working mum.

5#
發表於 08-12-25 03:53 |顯示全部帖子

Your values

Again, I regard this as the tendency to make assumptions.  About this and that.  Such as that about DGS kids, famous schools' principals and movie stars' kids etc.

As parents, I think we should not allow such prejudice to cloud our judgement about what we should do for our kids.  We must be very clear about what we want for our kids, what is the temperament/ personality of our kids etc.....and work from there.

I believe that not all parents of 名校 kids aims for their kids to發達.  It really depends on the individual parent, their value system, and this, I feel varies amongst all parents, in all schools; as you can see from the behaviour of your children's peers, I'm sure.
Yes, waking up at 4am really do sound too much.  But do we know what time this child sleeps?  Perhaps the parents have arranged a good time schedule for this kid?
Having said that, I too had to catch an early bus to go to school before and it did not worry me.  I did not feel it was hardship.
Really, it depends on the kid and parents must be very clear about that.  It is so important for parents to observe and review the ability of the kids throughout and to make changes, if neccessary.
I also belong to the group that believes that hardship when you're young will build resilience.  Kids now are so pampered already, to study hard, try hard in what they do, should not be considered hardship, it should be their responsibility.

6#
發表於 09-1-3 00:06 |顯示全部帖子

Thank you twokidsmum!!

Dear 2kidsmum,
Thanks for your generous sharing and your wise thoughts, observations.  I'm comforted to hear what you have to say about DGJS, which is consistent with what I've heard so far.  This makes me more certain that I'm making the right choice for my daughter.

For the other concerned mums/dads......it seems clear that what DGJS goes for are girls:
- who are good in English and Chinese
- loves reading
- confident
- has the potential to be a DGJS girls
And these girls have parents who are:
-committed to developing them (in reading, languages, activities etc)

As for going for awards, it's not all bad.  The courses you put your child in can enable your child to be stronger in whatever area you want to dev her in.  As long as you do in carefully, with the utmost focus on your child's well being, very clear of your child's ability to handle stress/ new situations/ learning......not forcing and pressuring your child, you can develop your child.  
Going for awards is bad only if you go for it Blindly, like going for more and more Chanel / LV....
My child has progressed from a shy girl to one who loves going on stage, this is an example.

As for which centres, you really have to do the research yourself.  I have found parents with different views about different centres.  
Besides, a well-known centre may not neccesarily have excellent, and even harder, committed teachers.
From my experience, apart from the classes, what you do at home AFTER the class is also important.  No one will give as much energy to develop your child as yourself.

To 2 mumskids, I look forward to hearing more from you.  Thanks.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖