搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF Cat 1 and Cat 2
發新帖
查看: 2778|回覆: 1
go

ESF Cat 1 and Cat 2 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-2-9 18:53 |顯示全部帖子
ESF website states very clearly what is Cat 1 and what is Cat 2.  

CAT ONE  Children who speak English as a first or alternative language but do not speak Cantonese and/or read and write Chinese characters.

Holding a foreign passport does not help.  This is from personal experience :-

Child A : HKSAR passport holder but does not speak or write Chinese (Cat 1)
Child B : Australian passport holder but speaks Mandarin (can read some as well) and English at the same time (Cat 2)
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

2#
發表於 09-2-10 10:33 |顯示全部帖子
To JDM, why is it 'dangerous'?  If the school does not have the entire authority to decide what is considered as Cat. 1 and Cat. 2, everything will get messed up.  Just look at the education policies / systems today in Hong Kong.... the so called authorities keep on changing and swapping their minds!!

To Mornington : I think it is good that ESF does not put into consideration of dual nationalities.  Their main concept is to let children who do not fit into the local system to have the priority to get into the ESF system.  This concept was set up a long time ago where there were so many expatriate children who were brought to Hong Kong by their parents because of their jobs etc before the handover.  I am sure you know ESF was called 英童学校 before.  Why local parents can give up their own mother tongue and speak to their children in a foreign language even to their themselves is beyond my understanding.  
To answer one of your questions : Child A does not have any foreign passport and had applied ESF using HKSAR passport.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題