教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF secondary school's competition
發新帖
查看: 2955|回覆: 12
go

ESF secondary school's competition [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-4-10 17:20 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Dear All

I know ESF's primary is very hot and not easy to get in.  I would like to ask how about the secondary school of ESF.  I want to move to TKO so I am considering KGV.  If anyone knows some info, please advise and thanks thanks
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-4-10 18:50 |只看該作者
If you are not ESF primary student, ESF secondary is competitive.  Basically, 100% ESF primary student will go straight to ESF secondary.   So if you kid is ESF primary student, that should not be so worry...  but instead, you should try to understand more before you make any decision.  

KGV and SC are very competitive as there are only 2 secondary in Kowloon.  Though some part of west Kowloon is in the catchment area of Island school, but most part of Kowloon and NT are in the catchment area of KGV or SC.  In Hong Kong Island, they have West Island school, South Island school and Island school, so you can see the chance.  

Anyway, I am not very clear about the sitaution, as it is too far for me at the moment to think of it.  Pls check with ESF.

3#
發表於 09-4-11 10:46 |只看該作者
Yes, it is very difficult to get in KGV or SC if you are not ESF students. So this is why we always suggest people to start with ESF kinder, then primary then secondary, if you kid is still very young. I have friendswho kept trying BHS and SC for many years and failed many times. Now he is in RC finally some years ago (and he has corrected his English a lot, go to stay in UK for summer vacation, etc), and his academic result has improved a lot, and life for him and his family are much happier.

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-4-11 10:51 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 09-4-11 12:15 |只看該作者
popolung,
If your friend is still keen, ask her to check out the position at STC. I have a few friends that have got offers recently at both STC aand SJS. Their children are all from local schools. Heard that there are lots of vacancies recently.

5#
發表於 09-4-11 12:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-4-10 17:20 發表
Dear All

I know ESF's primary is very hot and not easy to get in.  I would like to ask how about the secondary school of ESF.  I want to move to TKO so I am considering KGV.  If anyone knows some inf ...

I like your webname. Are you are Star Wars fan?

If you are talking about Year 7, it is hard. ESF need to keep the seats for all ESF primary students first so usually there are not much vacancies left at Year 7.

The situation in each school is quite different because the people that reside in the school zone are made up of people with more different background.

On the Island, it is usually much "better" (for you). Students are more volitile there since there are more non local people and they really come and go much quicker. On Kowloon and the NT, most places are filled with local Hong Kongers and they are more likely to stay in Hong Kong for a long time.

There is a good chance of trying in Years 9 - 11 because during these year levels, a lot of students leave Hong Kong for school elsewhere.

In any case, whether there are vacancies is one thing, whether your child can pass the interview and admission test is another. Different schools have their own procedures. But you can expect that they are looking for students with very good English skills. This is something you need to work on too.

Good luck.

6#
發表於 09-4-11 21:13 |只看該作者
Dear all

After reading all of your message, I realized that the competition for ESF's secondary school is as keen as it's primary school.  I think I will give up for moving to TKO from east of HKIsland (my current home).  I may apply the year2 of QBS on next year.  I believe that my current school fits my needs more but I think the academic level of ESF's Secondary school is better.  For guaranteeing have a seat in 2ndary school, I need to try to get in it's primary school first.  Is there a long waiting list on QBS as well?  Do I need to wait for 10 years

Dear almom

Thanks! My husband is star war fans.  I named the monster name (JarJar) as the webname on purpose for him

JarJar

7#
發表於 09-4-12 00:15 |只看該作者
原帖由 almom 於 09-4-11 12:15 發表
popolung,
If your friend is still keen, ask her to check out the position at STC. I have a few friends that have got offers recently at both STC aand SJS. Their children are all from local schools. He ...

tks for the info. But I think he won't change now as he is already year 11 in RC and they like the Chinese Studies vs other ESF (as they also have kid just graduated from SC) in T-Chi like other RC parents does. Also I guess the kid also built up friendship inside already. But anyway tks for your info again!

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-4-12 03:25 編輯 ]

8#
發表於 09-4-12 00:19 |只看該作者
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-4-11 21:13 發表
Dear all

After reading all of your message, I realized that the competition for ESF's secondary school is as keen as it's primary school.  I think I will give up for moving to TKO from east of HKIsla ...

Normally QBS is a bit easier for Cat 2 students than other ESF, may be because of lesser foreigners lived in HK East (but quite a lot Japanese & Korean I heard, but they don't target ESF), but not sure about year 2. Worth to try. Once you are in ESF then you can check if other ESF has place first, then move your house accordingly to that placement zone (if the real estate price or rental for you is not a concern). Just my own opinion, good luck.

9#
發表於 09-4-13 00:22 |只看該作者
Dear Popolung

Thanks for your info.  Couple months ago, I also thought that QBS is easier.  But I read a message in BK from a mom who said her kids were put on waiting only when she applied QBS in two difference years for her elder and younger children.  It make me feel disappointed.  Thanks for your encourage.  I will try anyway. Thanks again. Is there any extra charge in ESF school?  It is also my concern because I am not rich. Thanks again

原帖由 popolung 於 09-4-12 00:19 發表

Normally QBS is a bit easier for Cat 2 students than other ESF, may be because of lesser foreigners lived in HK East (but quite a lot Japanese & Korean I heard, but they don't target ESF), but not s ...

10#
發表於 09-4-13 02:02 |只看該作者
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-4-13 00:22 發表
Dear Popolung

Thanks for your info.  Couple months ago, I also thought that QBS is easier.  But I read a message in BK from a mom who said her kids were put on waiting only when she applied QBS in tw ...

I guess you will never know until you really apply, so worth to try QBS, and may be RC or DC too if you don't think it is far away from where you lived. Besides monthly fee, I guess you will need to pay for school bus, and some extra course after school hour, but I guess those are voluntary. Not much academic lesson you need to have unless you want it, except most ESF parents will want their kid to study more in Chinese. Any more inputs from other parents?

11#
發表於 09-4-13 10:23 |只看該作者
As long as you are considering to move, then why not to spend some time to understand more about RC and DC which are very good school as well.  TKO and MOS are so so the same new town, if you can consider to move to TKO, why not MOS.

12#
發表於 09-4-13 12:22 |只看該作者
JarJarBin,
It is basically different for each ESF school, and situation can be different every year.
It would appear to me that the main source of applicants to ESF schools is still local Hong Kongers. The more local applicants there are for an ESF school, the lower chance you have for that school.

13#
發表於 09-4-13 22:56 |只看該作者
Dear all

Thanks you all.  I will try QBS next year.  RC is good but it is private.  I am afraid that the school fee is out of gov't control and MOS is too far away for me.  I will give up to move to a bigger house and stay in my current town for QBS.   
‹ 上一主題|下一主題