搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 St. Mary's or PLKCKY?
發新帖
查看: 8202|回覆: 2
go

St. Mary's or PLKCKY? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-8 06:45 |顯示全部帖子
In BK, it is very common that the schools with history are being labelled with pressure.  I don't know much about to-day's St. Mary, but my boy has just gone through 6 years of another primary school with history, I would like to share.

Yes, there is pressure, but it is within a reasonable level and is good for the kids of to-day.  The school is also working hard to keep up with the modern trend of education.  I think it should be no different in St. Mary's.

Even in the so called pressure boiler days, the St. Mary's girls, whom I know, are bright and "normal".  

I am not speaking bad of CKY, when it comes to make this kind of difficult decision, parents, apart from finding out the true pressure level, may take other factors into the consideration, such as:

1.  distance from home
2.  girl school vs co-ed
3.  the school board and org behind the school (sorry, I always feel funny about PLK that they have 三、四奶 as ex-co while their mission is 保赤安良, I admire the sisters more and trust they can deliver a better perspective of life)
4.  Cost, only when it is a consideration
5.  The girl's own wish

I apologise for my biased views towards the board of PLK and there may be nothing to do with CKY.

[ 本帖最後由 hogwarts 於 09-6-8 10:20 編輯 ]

2#
發表於 09-6-8 13:24 |顯示全部帖子
Yes, I have already admitted that I am biased, but leadership does affect/reflect what one org belives in and how they will act, especially in critical moments.

If one looks back into the history of PLK, the founding of PLK by a group of wealthy Chinese merchants, was also, funny enough, aiming at to maintain 妹仔 system.  Yes, this is a piece of ancient history, which should be forgiven and be forgotten as the modern PLK does contribute a lot to HK.  

However, when the discussion comes to St Mary's vs PLKCKY, for me, then it is part of my consideration if I am the one to make the call.

I used to be a regular donor of PLK, until they had that wonderful composition in the ex-co.  For me, it is just another irony of life, just like all schools with history are likely to be labelled as pressure cooker.

By saying so, I respect all the colleagues in PLK and PLK's schools students and their wonderful achievements.  It is just the composition of their ex-co, I am not happy with.  Mind you, 孫公 is the one who introduced them into the ex-co and also the very official making all the important decisions about Hong Kong Education for us.

[ 本帖最後由 hogwarts 於 09-6-12 13:35 編輯 ]

3#
發表於 09-6-16 23:06 |顯示全部帖子
忍唔住要再加次把嘴,大家表朮的都是自己的經驗,再加上自己个孩子都讀得開心有成就,自然想自己觀點被認同。

但客觀比較的條件和主觀的條件,還是可以再講一吓。

客觀点的條件

1.  遠近和地區;
2.  費用 - 从网上才得知 CKY 比 SPCC 收得還要貴,能在短時间有此好成績和口碑,也就不出奇了;
3.  孩子的喜好 - 可能比重會低一點;

主觀的條件

1.  歷史 - 可以化作实质好处: mentor and role model
2.  core value
3.  什么是好教育, 好英文

因为自己个仔讀完"pressure cooker", 覺得傳统學校被這样被 label 有"丁點"不公平,所以才有前面一留言的反應,但我沒有覺得好的傳统学校是 "死谷",相反我体會到要求嚴緊,還是有"丁點"好处。

舉數学为例,囝囝学校對文字題的解答有嚴實要求,格式不對,就算答案正確,都要重做改正。我起初不太认同 ,但現在卻非常支持,因为這在訓練及培養細密及小心的工作態度和習慣,可能好的 communicative skill 可能比做踏实工作更為容易出人头地,但擇善而故之也颇可愛。

我真的是 biased,因曾多次在玫瑰堂望子夜彌撒 (雖然自己不是基督徒),及在數间 Canossian 小学做過木偶演出义工,所以如有囡囡,會排 Canossian 学校早過 CKY,不管是天神還是培德。

傳統好起來,是縷淡淡的清幽。
‹ 上一主題|下一主題