2#
發表於 09-9-22 16:00 |只看該作者
我都好想了解多D, 有無家長可以分享一下,  兩間學校D老師有愛心嗎?

3#
發表於 09-9-23 23:58 |只看該作者
請問有無媽媽可以幫手?

4#
發表於 09-9-24 16:19 |只看該作者
Seems quite strange that no response so far. I think it may due to the fact that KYS parents are usually low profile people or may be some KYS parents are puzzle themselves whether they have made the right decision for their kids. Not kidding, I met some parents think like that before.

My son is studying P2 now and, up to now, I have no regret to my decision and I’ll most likely put my little girl there next year. What I can say are:

• 1)
    KYS is definitely not a traditional elite school which most parents will crazy for them. Nor they can provide a 95% (note not 100%) guarantee to you for full train to their traditional elite secondary school as KYS don’t have one. Apart from that,
    you have to pay additional $33,000 per year as compared to other Gov’t subsidized schools on top of charges for books/ exercises books, extra-curricular activities, etc.
  • 2)
    KYS provides an open learning environment to students and they show a lot of respects to students’ feeling which I think it is very important to kids’ development. From what I found from my son, teachers tend to drive the improvements by encouragements and praise rather than push them for improvements by telling them the consequences of no improvements. Do you see the difference?
  • 3)
    For the academic level of curriculum, my comment is medium. Not very difficult, that is, they won’t ask P1 to study P2 materials, but definitely no easy as well. Homework is at a manageable level. The school tends to leave more leisure time for students to for their families and other activities.
  • 4)
    Most parents will judge the school by looking at the school’s annual result of secondary school allocation. It’s definitely correct!! Frankly speaking, if you look at the 2006-2008 results from website, the results are already very good as compared to most Gov’t subsidized schools. KYS has ~75-90 graduates per year which divided into 3 classes of 26-30 students each.
  • v
    ~25-30 % to滙基書院東九龍(聯繫中學), it is not an elite traditional school but still a band 1 English curriculum school
  • v
    ~32-35% to a list of traditional elite school like聖士提反女子中學, 聖保羅書院, 英華女學校, 聖保羅男女中學, 聖士提反書院, 聖公會鄧肇堅中學, 拔萃男書院, 拔萃女書院, 香港華仁書院, 華仁書院(九龍), 英皇書院, 香港真光中學, 喇沙書院, 張祝珊英文中學,皇仁書院. I think no one will question the quality of schools on the list, right? Of course, some may argue that it cannot reflect the whole trend cos there’s only 1 or 2 students each year allocated to some of the schools on list, but the fact is total no. of graduates allocated to this list represents 32-35% of the total no. of graduates for that year. For me, if my kids are allocated to anyone on the list, I think it’s already not bad.
  • v
    ~10% was allocated to other English curriculum schools which I don’t know the bandings. Examples included
    港大同學會書院, 滬江維多利亞學校, 基督教崇真中學, 香港浸會大學附屬學校王錦輝中小學, 聖類斯中學
  • v
    Rest are either study overseas or other Chinese curriculum schools

It looks that if your kids can maintain their academic standard at the top 40% of the level, you shouldn’t have a problem in getting a band 1 secondary seat unless you are extremely unlucky or you adopt an exceptionally aggressive strategy in secondary school selection process which does not match the student’s level.

One more point I would like to raise here. We all agreed that young kids have different areas of development like logical sense, language skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, etc. and the development stages may differ from each others. When choosing schools, most parents will look for a school with strong academic training which can magnify the strong areas of their kids. But will anyone consider the school’s attitudes towards those students with exceptional IQ but development delay in some areas like speech, interpersonal skill or self- management? I can see KYS pays a good attention and quite a big tolerance to these areas. I think students with similar problems can get a better learning experience in KYS, they will have exceptional results in later years, say P3 or P4, when their weaker areas can catch up with others and the exceptional potential and ability can be demonstrated by their results.

In conclusion, I will say KYS is not a perfect school but a low profile good school. The joining of the new headmistress, Gloria Chan, is bringing a new concept to KYS in additions to its traditional curriculum, more modern and with more emphasis on students’ international horizon. But of course, whether it worth the $33,000 per year you have to pay, it is not a point of discussion here.

I must stress again that I am not a staff of the school and has no incentives to sell KYS to anyone. I just want to give a better insight to those parents who want to know more about the school.

5#
發表於 09-9-24 17:32 |只看該作者
Geoffrey-mom,

Thank you for your very detailed sharing.  The P6 allocation results are really not bad!

My kid is a happy and sociable boy but he is not bright in terms of academic stuff.  I don't want him to go to a pushy school that will ruin his interest to learn.  What I am more concerned is the quality of the peers as kids can be easily affected by the others.

What do you think about the kids in terms of manners and behaviours?  Are the parents involved in school matters?  What attracted you to Kau Yan in the 1st place?  

Would appreciate if you could share more.  Many thanks.

6#
發表於 10-1-26 13:50 |只看該作者
My son has been accepted by both school and my final decision is to Lingnan Primary School.  He's now in P.1 and he is studying happily and got good grades in his first term exam.  In small class, he has lots of opportunity to participate in competition.  He's just come 1st in Putonghua Poem solo for P.1 & P.2 grade.  Indeed he has a classmate who is native in Putonghua was selected for Guangdong Hua Poem solo.  So far I think I have select a right school for my son.
For Kau Yan Primary School, there are also a lot of good comments.  If you want to know my very personal opinion to this school, please please pm me .

7#
發表於 10-3-1 01:25 |只看該作者
avislai
Can you share more experiences about your son's study at Lingnan.  What do you think about their workload, standard and students' standard.

8#
發表於 10-3-10 21:25 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

9#
發表於 10-3-20 11:06 |只看該作者
Dear amychukityi and reneeleung,
1. workload:  The workload is not heavy.  They have homework lesson to finish part of their homework at school.  They still have time to join other activities or playgroup when they come back home.
2. standard : They use primary 1 textbook with supplementary worksheet.  I feel their Chinese standard is good.  But don't expect they are using primary 2 textbook like some high profile school.   Just for your information, once I go into an English phonic class in High street, the boss said that the standard of English in Lingnan is lower than Raimondi but higher than a popular government school nearby.  

3. Students' standard:  In his class, some student's mother tongue are Putonghua, some are English.  A little bit international feel.  Personally, I feel that Chinese family will push the kids more and they have tends to have higher standard (esp in Chinese).  My friend is a teacher in a band one EMI school.  She told me that the one with the highest score in her science subject in this Form five mock exam came from Lingnan Primary School.  

4. "I really afraid the school will be closed down on one day."  The same question is asked by me before.  
But I am convinced by the school supervisor, Dr. Angela Luk, who thinks that quality is much more important than quantity.  She said that every year, the Lingnan organisation will donate 2 million dollars to the primary school, just to ensure quality education.  My son has lots of changes to talk to NET teacher who is serving both the kindergarten and the primary school.  He's not good at speaking but now he's speaking much much more English than before.  The school Principle is devoted to the school.  She is good at curriculum planning.  So I am pleased to have my son enjoying all the benefit in small class, with quality education, low pressure but good potential to be allocated in secondary school and good foundation to face the challenge in traditional EMI secondary school.

Hope my sharing is useful to you.

10#
發表於 10-11-8 12:49 |只看該作者
Dear Avislai,
I am trying to locate more info on Lingnan Primary School but found very limited information on this School. Is your son enjoying school life?
Thanks.

11#
發表於 10-11-8 14:27 |只看該作者
原帖由 avislai 於 10-1-26 13:50 發表
My son has been accepted by both school and my final decision is to Lingnan Primary School.  He's now in P.1 and he is studying happily and got good grades in his first term exam.  In small class, he  ...

Hi avisia,

I would like to know your comments about Kau Yan Primary coz I am considering whether let my daughter to study P1.  Please PM me.  Many Thanks!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題