用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Would you keep your son back one year to go to CIS?
樓主: Pianokc
go

Would you keep your son back one year to go to CIS? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-12-3 15:53 |只看該作者
OOps.  Perhaps it was my general comments earlier that have triggered off some further disucssion.  

I think the track record of CIS is beyond doubt.  As for KCIS, it is also fair to say that there is only a brief history for graduates of this school and thus the results may not provide a clear indicator.  If as a parent, I'm required to make a choice at this time point given all the above, I think the choice should be very obvious.  

Certainly, others may have different views, and may look at the situation differently.  Parents should be in the best position to decide on the choice for their own kids.  I don't think we have to argue here whether anyone is right or wrong.  Everyone is just sharing our personal comments here.  One may choose to agree and disagree, exercising one's own judgment.  

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-12-3 14:07 發表
CIS 是成立較早及有多屆畢業生記錄,但可否說明 "Compare KCIS and CIS, CIS is definitely a more favourable choice in terms of academic standard, English training and everything" 及 "KCIS is comparatively w ...

22#
發表於 09-12-3 15:57 |只看該作者
To Pianokc - More fundamentally, it seems to me that you have more problem/hesitation towards the thought of letting your daughter repeat her reception year.  On this point, I would really really suggest you read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers", which may give you another perspective to look at this problem.

23#
發表於 09-12-3 17:32 |只看該作者
Interested to know where to find this article.
原帖由 Ann0805 於 09-12-3 15:57 發表
To Pianokc - More fundamentally, it seems to me that you have more problem/hesitation towards the thought of letting your daughter repeat her reception year.  On this point, I would really really sugg ...

24#
發表於 09-12-3 17:52 |只看該作者
原帖由 InitialD 於 09-12-3 17:32 發表
Interested to know where to find this article.

It's a book :)
http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/index.html

25#
發表於 09-12-3 18:24 |只看該作者
With all due respect I cannot agree with Pianokc's description of CIS is filling up with the "atmosphere" of the rich and famous, as probably he/she is not speaking from his/her own experience.

My son entered into reception year in August and he is very happy in CIS. I meet my co-parents constantly and I really don't have the feeling that they are very rich (in an objective point of view) or even if they are rich they don't show off. In general CIS parents are low profile people who care about the well-being and education of their children.

The issue of "atmosphere of rich & famous" happens everywhere when you have a group of students in the class, some more well-off and some don't. The comparison is there, and it sounds naive to think that only exists in certain schools.

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-2 12:44 發表
I want to consider CIS because a number of reasons:

2) I like CIS' reputation, the name and fame, the facilities especially, KCIS is good school, but doesn't have the facilities that I really wish my kids can enjoy. But on the other hand, I really have to watch how the "atmosphere" of the rich and famous.... will affect my kids, don't want my kids spoiled, and always talking about "money" oriented things, or showing off.
But that's something I know I can and will try to teach and guide through my family's morals and values.

26#
發表於 09-12-3 19:40 |只看該作者
Ramama,

I teach many students in CIS piano, and I have many friends who have kids in CIS, I trust my opinion and knowledge of CIS is pretty informed.

But, I do agree, this doesn't occur ONLY in CIS, but I do hear more about CIS with this problem more than other IS. Let's face it, CIS is one of the most expensive IS in HK....not everyone can afford going there.

My reception and P1 kids are not like that.... when you start getting to the higher grades, you see more of this effect.  This is not my main concern, I believe I can guide my children and teach them about this behaviour and attitude.

Thanks everyone for all advice and opinion.

I have decided to go through with the assessment and interview and see what happens.

27#
發表於 09-12-3 20:01 |只看該作者
yes, i think go ahead and see what happened first is the best

28#
發表於 09-12-3 21:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-3 19:40 發表
Ramama,

I teach many students in CIS piano, and I have many friends who have kids in CIS, I trust my opinion and knowledge of CIS is pretty informed.

But, I do agree, this doesn't occur ONLY in CIS ...

There are always all sorts of "problems" in other people's school. I wonder why you seem to believe that you are so qualified in making such comments.

Oh, yeah. You always claimed to have "many students" from the school that you comment on, and have many friends in that school.

If you are not lying, you are a piano teacher. I wonder how can one piano teacher have many students from so many schools at the same time. And that "many students" are from CWB, SJ, RC, CIS, etc. and so on. This is amazing isn't it. Either you are a very good teacher that attracts students to travel all the way from the Island or from the NT. Or you are a lousy teacher and students keep leaving.

Oh, of course, you are a very experienced teacher. You have taught piano for many years. So you have had so many students. Blah blah blah....

I still remember my piano teacher. I had her taught me for 7 years. Sounds like you have more students in one year than she had in 10 years.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-12-3 21:39 編輯 ]

29#
發表於 09-12-3 23:26 |只看該作者
Nintendo, I don't think I have to justify or explain anything about my career or experience, or my network.  

I do have a lot of students, and friends, and family, and huge network, hence I have alot of information, connections, and sources of information.

If you can't seem to believe there is such possibility, then you need to get out there and meet more people.

I am not trying to start a personal attack here, but your post is not only not constructive, it's utterly offensive.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-12-3 21:35 發表

There are always all sorts of "problems" in other people's school. I wonder why you seem to believe that you are so qualified in making such comments.

Oh, yeah. You always claimed to have "many s ...

30#
發表於 09-12-3 23:36 |只看該作者
If you are not lying, you are a piano teacher. I wonder how can one piano teacher have many students from so many schools at the same time. And that "many students" are from CWB, SJ, RC, CIS, etc. and so on. This is amazing isn't it. Either you are a very good teacher that attracts students to travel all the way from the Island or from the NT. Or you are a lousy teacher and students keep leaving.

Oh, of course, you are a very experienced teacher. You have taught piano for many years. So you have had so many students. Blah blah blah....

Aaarrrroooooohhh Urgggggg.  By the way, what qualifies you to make all sorts of comments on other people's schools.  In case you can't recall what you have said (I know it's easy to forget - it's just too easy to blah, blah blah...), take a good look of your own profile.  I did that just now.  Impressive, isn't it?  Three cheers to you.  We need people like you at a time when the birth rate is so low. Assuming that you are not the like of what you said pianokc is and are indeed better qualfied to speak freely of other people's schools, You must have enough kids to fill the vacancies at RC, ESF, YC, ISF and other schools to earn yourself the privilege to call yourself an IS guru.  WOW, what an achievement.  I can bearly handle 2 kids.  Or, if you are just enjoying yourself and having fun not caring about the truth of what you say, then ...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/ryanmediocre2/BigMouth.jpg

31#
發表於 09-12-3 23:38 |只看該作者
BTW Nintendo,

You would be amazed HOW many parents of a certain school are unaware of what their child's school is like, what is going on, what they are learning..... many parents don't have the time to look into these things. They just send their kids to a school where the reputation is good, and the kid is going and coming everyday, gets the assessment report.... it's the helpers that most likely know more about the school than the parents.

I am not saying ALL parents are like this, but many are like that.

My point is, my student's parents ALWAYS sit in my piano lesson, and these are the parents who stay close to what their child is doing, and I give time for the parents to call me, to email me, to chat with me, I always ask what is happening in the student's school, because I teach all my students in a holistic approach, every aspect in their life affects them. School, family problems, health, friends.... hence, I am aware of many aspects about the schools.

my students come from all over, yes, they do, From Ma On Shan, to Repulse Bay, Sai Kung to Yuen Long.... and they change schools, and the parents are teachers of many reputational schools.... so why is it so surprising that I have these students who say and feel this way?

I believe CIS is a very good school, otherwise, I wouldn't be trying to get my son in. But the fact that students from CIS often compare how wealthy and what address, and how many helpers and driver you have, and what model of mobile phone you have, and where did you go for vacation .... it's one area that concerns me. But this doesn't make CIS a "problematic" school.... and why I don't have a right to say this?

Every one is entitled to have their own opinion about each school.....

32#
發表於 09-12-3 23:40 |只看該作者
Ok, here comes Iamfine again....the "educational experts family" if I recall correctly.

I give up. Thanks for killing this thread.

I got my answers. No more input from me.

33#
發表於 09-12-3 23:45 |只看該作者
Fine.  Me too will stop further damage to this thread.

BTW, in case there is any misunderstanding, I was responding to Nintendo.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-12-3 23:50 編輯 ]

34#
發表於 09-12-3 23:55 |只看該作者
Iamfine, sorry, thought you were "attacking" me.

Anyhow, don't like this kind of firing back and forth in forums.

End of input.

35#
發表於 09-12-4 00:00 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-3 23:55 發表

End of input.

No need to apologise.  I can't understand your frustration.  Good night.

36#
發表於 09-12-4 00:01 |只看該作者
Meant to say "I CAN understand your frustration".  Time to go to bed.

37#
發表於 09-12-4 02:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 iamfine 於 09-12-3 23:36 發表

Aaarrrroooooohhh Urgggggg.  By the way, what qualifies you to make all sorts of comments on other people's schools.  In case you can't recall what you have said (I know it's easy to forget - it's ju ...

You are welcome to challenge what comments I made.

But have I claimed to have "students" or connections with ALL those schools, just to support what I said is correct?

You do not seem to see the logic. Can a piano teacher have MANY students (as she claimed) from CWB, SJ, RC, CIS, (and the list would go on and on as long as she is interested in commenting negatively about a school).

38#
發表於 09-12-4 02:36 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-3 23:55 發表

End of input.

You have MANY students from so MANY international schools.

Wow, you really need to have some rest after a long day.

39#
發表於 09-12-4 02:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-3 23:38 發表
my students come from all over, yes, they do, From Ma On Shan, to Repulse Bay, Sai Kung to Yuen Long.... and they change schools, and the parents are teachers of many reputational schools.... so why is it so surprising that I have these students who say and feel this way?

Wow. Something new now. Even parents are teachers so that's where you got the information! Brilliant. You are the winner. I am leaving this topic.

40#
發表於 09-12-4 10:07 |只看該作者
ooohhh,  you tempt me.....

Nintendo, I only commented a FEW schools, not MANY.

I don't understand why you are attacking me, but it seems like YOU are the one who comments more on IS..... so it's ok for you, but it's not ok for others?

I don't understand you, so it's better to be like you, comment other schools, but your kid isn't going there, and you don't explain where the source of info is coming from ?

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-12-4 10:40 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題