用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Which Int. School is better?
樓主: ukodelechan
go

Which Int. School is better? [複製鏈接]

81#
發表於 10-6-8 18:41 |只看該作者
Hi Delusionist,

"I know you will say this. You are you. You'll never learn or change.  If someone take a different view, it's only because they are dummies."

Very concise and precise description. Bravo!

82#
發表於 10-6-8 20:46 |只看該作者
I understand why you say that it would probably be easier for students to take 3 subjects in only science/humanity field. But honestly, taking 3 subjects in only one area of study (science/humanities) is an automatic suicide for most IBD students. It may always seem possible for GCE students because materials covered in GCE (say, science subjects) are related and it may even be better if they just focus on either science/humanities. Yet every subject in IBD is in-depth, much more difficult than GCE subjects, many students already find IBD Maths is so hard that only a few students would take Maths HL in IBD. I strongly believe that IB students who take 3 subjects in Science are truly outstanding and actually could get into MIT without difficulties. It's just not anything any average students can do.

The broad and balanced EDUCATION(as you mentioned) provided by IBO cannot be compared to GCSE O-levels. First, IBD and GCSEs are of different levels of studies. Second, GCSEs students is not required to do 'extra work' like EE , TOK and ECAs that IBD requires. GCSEs does allow students to have flexibility in subject choice but all they do is to focus on studying the subjects that they take and perform well in their written papers and coursework. So my concern is if GCSEs is already good enough to take care of the 'broad and balanced education' IBD provided which doesn't solely focus on one's academic ability, but also essay writing skills, critical thinking and a balanced ECAs life?

I do understand that some european universities do have 'unusual' entry requirements. Fairly speaking, why does it matter that some German universities do not accept IB students because of the insufficient science subjects in a student's own course selection? It's not like German universities are popular choice amongst high school graduating students from HK. I believe most of the students in Hong Kong aim at universities in UK, US, Canada or HK. So how can we use these exceptions/minority as one of the drawbacks of IBD? Actually, it can be the same for GCE A level. One can say some universities in somewhere do not recognize it, but it doesn't mean that GCE A level is not worth taking because these minorities do not accept it.

And as you are considering UK universities for your son(who you think is more suitable for IBD instead of GCE), I find it interesting how you cite examples from Germany as the drawback of IBD. I do not know about ALL medical schools in UK, but I have some prospectuses of some UK universities in hand. They do accept IB students and they do not have limitation in the student's subject choice. They only have a basic score requirement. I am not speaking for all UK medical schools, nor do I know which UK medical schools you want your son to enter. But why don't you go check on their webiste? I'm sure that they got the most reliable and detailed resource about subject choice of IB students or IB scores requirements there.

"No, it is not true. Firstly, not all the UK or US universities are actually accept IBD results. "

Honestly I highly doubt this statement. IBD is internationally recognized. Until now, I haven't heard of any UK/US universities that do not accept IBD results. It actually is about fairness, not really the recognition of the program itself. IBD is adapted by schools all over the world. It would be so unfair for an university not to accept, or even CONSIDER, some certain local students just because they are taking IBD. Even the academic qualification in a small place like HK can be listed on universities' entry requirements all around the globe, I am sure IBD, this curriculum adapted by high schools all around the world, is also listed on universities' entry requirements internationally.

"For example, a student who chooses 2 humanity subjects but only 1 science subject, I can guarantee that none of the medical schools will accept that students. "

Actually this case is possible provided that the student takes Chemistry. (as we discussed before) I've checked some UK medical schools. They have a certain grade requirement for GCE A level students, but the must-take course is Chemistry, which means a student who takes Chemistry as one of his/her GCE subjects can be qualified for medical schools. It is just the same for IBD - taking the required science subject by the school authority gets prospective students an entry ticket for medical schools.

Here, correct or incorrect is defined by you. How can you be sure that the information about IBD that you provided is absolutely 'correct'? I do admit that I do not know much about medical schools, not like I myself am working in the medical profession, but it doesn't affect the accuracy of information about IBD I provided. Please separate them clearly.

Anyways, I am glad that we are discussing it in a logical way, instead of verbally attack each other or making irrational comments on others' opinion.

原帖由 jediknight 於 10-6-8 15:55 發表
The reasons why IBD students can't take more than 2 science/ humanity subjects are that IBO wants them to keep a balanced and broad course selection and it is hard for one to take three science subjec ...

83#
發表於 10-6-9 09:58 |只看該作者
原帖由 delusionist 於 10-6-8 15:35 發表
Seems that my guess is correct - you are relying on that infamous GSIS's report (lucky that the majority of the GSIS's parents were not dummies and voted for IB instead).

As your son wants to be a do ...

Dear delusionist,

Many thanks for this. What is the source of the table?

84#
發表於 10-6-9 10:52 |只看該作者
原帖由 lulusing 於 10-6-9 09:58 發表

Dear delusionist,

Many thanks for this. What is the source of the table?

I was referred to it by an IB coordinator of an independent school in HK.

85#
發表於 10-6-9 11:57 |只看該作者
Hi glorian,

Your statement:
Yet every subject in IBD is in-depth, much more difficult than GCE subjects,
really scare me.

An average GCE AL student will take 3 to 4 subjects. IB student need to take 6 subjects with EE,TOK, CAS in addition. If the width and depth of the same subject of the both programes are the same (not to say IBD is more difficult), does it means that the work load of IB student is at less 2X GCE AL student?

I haven't read about the syllabus of different subjects of IB and I was graduated from high school decades ago. I just want to know more.

原帖由 glorian 於 10-6-8 20:46 發表
I understand why you say that it would probably be easier for students to take 3 subjects in only science/humanity field. But honestly, taking 3 subjects in only one area of study (science/humanities) ...

86#
發表於 10-6-9 12:05 |只看該作者
Basically, YES. The work load of IB students is at least 2X GCE A level's students.

I don't know how much you know about IBD, but it is a known fact that IB students have a very heavy workload. IB students consistently complain about how heavy the workload is and how IBD occupies most of their time that they can't really spare time for their ECAs or even simply sit down and have dinner with their family.

Let's not talk about the depth of IB course comparing to GCE A levels as it is really hard how one measures the 'depth' of knowledge, but IB courses cover more things than GCE A levels. For example, the GCE A level Economics only covers the first two sections(or unit, paper or something along that line) of IB Economics HL course.

原帖由 friendlyguy 於 10-6-9 11:57 發表
Hi glorian,

Your statement:
Yet every subject in IBD is in-depth, much more difficult than GCE subjects,
really scare me.

An average GCE AL student will take 3 to 4 subjects. IB student need to take ...

[ 本帖最後由 glorian 於 10-6-9 12:07 編輯 ]

87#
發表於 10-6-9 12:08 |只看該作者

回覆 73# jediknight 的文章

Jedi,

I think your statement :

one can still have options, such as applying GCE A-level by oneself if the school doesn't support

is not correct for science subjects. For lab safety reason, the students takng these subjects need to be endorsed by high school.

王國長老

88#
發表於 10-6-9 12:48 |只看該作者
Jediknight,

Please mind the words that you use and respect other members.

edea

89#
發表於 10-6-9 13:50 |只看該作者
原帖由 delusionist 於 10-6-8 15:35 發表
Seems that my guess is correct - you are relying on that infamous GSIS's report (lucky that the majority of the GSIS's parents were not dummies and voted for IB instead).

As your son wants to be a do ...

Very useful information.

Do you have similar information for American or Canadian universities too?

Thanks.

90#
發表於 10-6-9 16:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 almom 於 10-6-9 13:50 發表

Very useful information.

Do you have similar information for American or Canadian universities too?

Thanks.

Sorry I don't have any similar information for North American Universities.  They have a very different system.  Students need a Pre-med Degree before they can apply to medical schools.

91#
發表於 10-6-9 19:28 |只看該作者
原帖由 delusionist 於 10-6-9 16:47 發表

Sorry I don't have any similar information for North American Universities.  They have a very different system.  Students need a Pre-med Degree before they can apply to medical schools.

Sorry. I meant, do you have general entry requirements for the universities, not specifically to med school. Thanks.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖