女兒中文中學的學習 — 中中不比英中差 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 11-6-2 00:40 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 eviepa 於 11-6-1 21:13 發表

雙兒:

我當然同意這點。不過,大數定律,一百個大塘的小魚,就有一定數目的罔顧現實家長,就有一定數目的不開心小魚。

小魚除了在家裡還要上課。老師對大塘裡的小魚通常也以責備為主,良好的家長對此也會感到鞭長莫及。

現 ...

My daughter has always been a medium fish in a big pond (she has never been in the top 25% at her school). Among her cousins, she's even a small fish. I have been trying hard to make her believe it is not a must to become a big fish. Now she is trying hard totally out of her own initiiative to become a bigger fish in a top-tier university. All the years along, she has had her groups of medium fish and sometimes big fish mates in all these big ponds.

At the end of the day, we all wish our kids to swim comfortably in the big oceans, like ChiChiPaPa said. Don't worry, Eviepa, just listen to all the parents with fish in big ponds, like Stccmc and ANChan59. As long as your kid is not exactly a small fish in a big pond, I'm sure you will be fine.

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-2 12:16 編輯 ]
雙儿附加版規適用於本文,即BK會齡少於一年或發帖數少於150者,恕不回應。

22#
發表於 11-6-2 11:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# ANChan59 的文章

只要不做太懸殊的比較就易辦了。若是武大郎,偏要娶潘金蓮,當然易出事。

見得太多中魚升中時被拋進小塘,起初幾年感覺超良好,但會考一來,才驚覺自己是小魚。校內頭「岳岳」,校外頭dup dup。

最近幾年見過一些中塘大魚,HKAL有兩三個A,但與大塘大魚一起游,或多或少有點揮之不去完全冇需要及unjustified的不如感。我聲明,我自己學業上一直是中塘中魚,好彩樣貌性格搭夠。

當然,除了極端情况, there is a wide range of acceptable alternative approaches open to parents, I cannot say Eviepa is wrong although I see things differently.

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-2 11:57 編輯 ]

23#
發表於 11-6-10 13:50 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ChiChiPaPa 於 11-6-4 12:22 發表

其實我曾經看過很多這些研究的paper,但你要我現在係互聯網找出來,有些困難,我也不確定它們是否在互聯網中可否找到。但我可給一個例子,在下面的連結,你可知BFLPE在大塘或小塘畢業後2至4年,仍沒消失:

http://www.jstor.or ...

ChiChiPaPa

外遊剛回,重有少少嘢補充。正如蛋頭文章中所說的,「小塘大魚」效應和「見賢思齊」效應可同時存在,只要我們不做太懸殊的比較便可。做大塘中魚又好,中塘大魚又好,悉隨專便。但若盲目相信小塘大魚效應,就會得出band 1生最好去讀band3生集中的中學,10A生最好去讀副學士先修再去讀教院嘅笑話。

另外,老公教落,要留心人哋突登唔講嘅嘢。其實喺香港要track小學嘅大中魚去到中學大中小魚塘嘅學術表現話都冇咁易(有乜嘢research威得過我哋隨手就可以用成個population,唔駛用蛋頭辛辛苦苦搜集但又bias百出嘅sample呢?),學校嘅增值指標就係用同樣數據計出嚟。若結果係政治正確嘅大魚小塘效應,公佈一下,eviepa同你就唔駛喺度嗌得咁辛苦啦!但教育局咁多朝代,粒聲未出過喎。

其它人睇唔明我講嘅一笑置之好了,咪問我,我冇時間答。

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-10 14:44 編輯 ]

24#
發表於 11-6-15 13:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 eviepa 於 11-6-14 07:09 發表
大塘小魚 Vs小塘大魚的研究報告

ANChan59提供的一份研究報告的總結很有趣。但內容很艱深,可能有些網友沒空去看,所以小弟將此文的重點列出,和大家分享,如有錯漏,請不吝指正。分享之前,我覺得看這些研究報告要很小心,照單 ...

傻人,你哂氣啦。Marsh篇嘢講嘅就係「阿媽係女人」!"Research has consistently demonstrated that students in academically selective environments have lower academic self-concepts than students of equal aptitude who are educated in non-selective environments (e.g., Marsh & Hau, 2003; Marsh et al., 2008) – the  big-fish-little-pond effect (BFLPE)"你睇清楚,由頭到尾,佢都係講緊self-concept 同大塘小塘嘅關係。鬼唔知同叻人比會覺得差啲咩!佢唔係講緊future achievement 同大塘小塘嘅關係呀!

要証明中中實際上較優,教育局只需公佈中中及英中的平均增值指標就可一塞眾人悠悠之口。增值指標乃一零和遊戲,說什麽這間那間中中高增值只不過是避重就輕,我敢講所有中中加埋係負增值嘅,唔喺政府重唔大吹大擂咩?

25#
發表於 11-6-16 14:31 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 eviepa 於 11-6-16 02:34 發表

雙兒:

整篇文章其中一條主線就是講:小塘裡的大魚 --> 有信心  -->學業進步 --> 更有信心  --> 學業更進步 -->  離開中學後(無論上大學或出來社會工作)更有信心  --> 無論讀大學或做事更出色。

Eviepa:

你錯了。重讀Marsh的文章,或留心侯自己的文字,佢哋講嘅係Self concept、自信,唔係成績。若果係成績,侯早成家傳户曉人物了。

你條式,根據大魚小塘效應,半路個箭咀就要劃上句號。

小塘裡的大魚 --> 有信心  -->學業進步 --> 更有信心 。

留心 Marsh and Hau 都無處理大塘小魚及小塘大魚將來成績的比較。Self-concept及自信高,將來成績亦更好並非小塘大魚效應結論,此正是大魚小塘理論的limitation.而自信導致更好成績此說前提是一般研究要求的other things being equal. 但正正塘的大小是令other things not being equal 的另一決定因素。我們只能說中等能力的學生在小塘會比在大塘更有自信,而同一魚塘中自信較高的比自信較低會有更好成績,但卻決不能說中等能力的學生在小塘會比在大塘會有更好成績。

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-16 14:48 編輯 ]

26#
發表於 11-6-16 14:47 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 eviepa 於 11-6-16 03:29 發表

大塘小象現象,和中中、英中是應該分開處理的,因為兩者有不同的mechanism影響著。

雖然,減低學校、考試透明度是政府一貫策略,比如說從前的marking scheme是機密文件、現在的學校增值指標不公佈,我也相信整體上中中的增 ...

以成績計,中中平均是小塘,英中是大塘。

政府並唔係冇公佈增值指標,只係有選擇咁公佈,你唔見佢年年幫培僑吹咩?

我也相信整體上中中的增值情況不如英中。

你呢個講法即係中中平均是負增值的委婉說法。亦即係話自信對成績嘅效應,鬥唔過塘大小對成績的效應。

我冇否定個別中中,更加唔會否定你同evie嘅努力。

重有,同我抝吓唔係唔好,但你咪搞到半夜三更唔瞓。

27#
發表於 11-6-17 21:36 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

唔駛知你講乜都知你跌咗落蛋頭嘅邏輯陷阱。

你要留心,由頭到尾,Marsh & Hau兩個都淨係夠胆講話:大魚中魚係小塘會自信啲,係大塘會冇咁自信。呢啲阿媽係女人嘅說話冇人會唔同意。我第一日已經咁講,我話拍落ChiChiPaPa同ANChan59,我都差啲唔記得自己都讀過大學。Wunma子女亦有欠自信的遭遇。另一欄提及港台講柬講西談論名校,其中女主持中三轉往DGS,第一個感覺就係:嘩,原來天外真係有天。有乜計自信會唔跌?

但Marsh & Hau跟手就話,其它研究結果話自信高啲,成績會好啲。此亦是阿媽係女人的理論。換句話說,other things being equal,同一魚塘內自信高啲成績會好啲。但我哋最想知嘅:大魚中魚喺小塘自信高過喺大塘,但成績係唔係都好啲呢?呢樣嘢唔喺佢地研究範圍。

自信是導致好成績的一重要因素,但唔係唯一因素。喺大塘,可能冇咁有自信心,但上進心呢?父母師長期望呢?社會期望呢?同輩期望呢?自我期望呢?同學間互相砥礪呢(名校教師不一定比其教學生優秀)(特別係喺知道不少同學注定會成為各行素翹楚後)?家長的支持呢?學校內鼓勵追求卓越的傳统呢?這些都是中魚喺大塘冇咁自信,但成績較喺小塘好的原因。你自己都話大魚喺小塘分分鐘冇上進動力喇!

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-17 22:01 編輯 ]

28#
發表於 11-6-20 13:11 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Hurray! 呢鋪重唔比我哋拗贏 eviepa。 連佢自己都認,除自信一項,其它條件大塘贏哂。而喺香港,小塘辛辛苦苦儲起嘅自信,根據Prof. Tsang(I did not who he was until eviepa mentioned him) 嘅研究結果,喺香港短命好多,到咗會考高考俾人一鋪清袋,冇得留低。

Eviepa,要留心曾係政府 sponsored 嘅,sample size 大到無倫,與population 無異。佢得出嘅結果係:條件相同的學生(mainly academic results and sociological background),分別入讀英中及中中,無論大中小魚,以增值計,到中三兩者平手(英文英中勝,其它科中中勝);到了中五英中勝(英文英中遠勝,其它科平手);到了大學入學試,英中大勝。

I think the conclusion is clear enough to everyone. Of course, as I said many times before, individual decisions have be be based on individual situations. For example, I never intended to place my girl into DGS like some of her cousins. There are also big ponds with tons of happy fish. And for example it is actually not too difficult for an arts student to do well in ANChan59's son's pond.

Finally, I don't like the style of the article by the guys from the so called 天才教育協會 quoted by ChiChiPaPa. I am disturbed to see academics (unlike C9 like me) writing like that. These guys probably thought they were writing 社會評論 as newspaper columnists. They were doing injustice to using Chinese in academic articles.

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-20 13:16 編輯 ]

29#
發表於 11-6-21 11:56 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Eviepa

哎喲!原來你唔識增值指標點計。籠統啲講,學校中一分班試每個學生的全港名次與中三TSA及會考的名次比,所以不存在banding高,增值就一定高的說法。詳細自己google一下。

男人大丈天,抝輸就抝輸,咪顧左右而言他。Evie就算讀了英中,你就會少費一分心力?家庭是一independent factor。

Eviepa, eviepa,你就係過份重視自己、家庭的因素。你和女兒喜歡打乒乓球,但單靠父女閉門苦練,沒有其他教練同伴的砥礪,就算天份高,打出個學界冠軍機會有多大?

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-21 12:03 編輯 ]

30#
發表於 11-6-21 15:39 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Eviepa

嗱,eviepa,有啲叻人喺身邊幾緊要。冇ChiChiPaPa、ANChan59呢啲叻過雙儿多多聲嘅人隨手就幫我哋引經據典,我哋又點可能咁快得出結論呢?雙儿才疏學淺唔夠班,但勝在大魚朋友一大班。

31#
發表於 11-6-21 16:06 |顯示全部帖子

回復 cow 的帖子

Cow

講咗11版,原來你都未知我哋講乜。我哂氣總結一下(呢啲通常係evirpa做嘅,呢鋪等我嚟。)

究竟成績好的大魚及中魚,會喺大塘(平均學業成績較佳的學校)抑或喺小塘(平均學業成績較差夠學校)生得肥大啲呢(即成績好啲)?

Eviepa根據大魚小塘效應,推斷大魚中魚在小塘開心自信啲,成績應該也好啲。

我就話,開心自信一件事,重有其它因素要注意。而啱啱原來香港有個曾繁光研究,得出結果係同樣條件嘅學生(Socio-economic background亦一樣),讀完七年中中相對成績明顯差過英中同伴。而由於各種原因,香港英中學生成績較佳,可視為大塘,而中中可視為小塘。

結論就係:無論大魚中魚,平均來說,即使只從學業著眼,亦適宜放在大塘養殖。

而你的問題,教學語言本身當然係無作用。根據專家及eviepa及常理,用英文應該反效果添。我相信絕大多數油麻地家長唔會揀用英文授課的嘉道理而唔揀用中文嘅培正。一般家長係揀好嘅學校,而呢啲學校中,較多英中而矣。

32#
發表於 11-6-23 15:51 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 eviepa 的文章

Eviepa

我當然冇理解錯,係你困在局中啫。從統計結果我哋清楚見到大魚小塘效應未能在一般情况下translate into較佳成績,period。但去到個人層面,當然無人能夠話你一定錯,雖然我會話你保守咗啲。乒乓波嘅例子係叫你咪過份依賴自己一己之力,要盡量利用大環境。

同你一樣,我當然緊張培養女兒的自信心啦(realistic & justifiable 個隻)。老公嗰便係大魚塘,佢當然想娶個聰明絕頂嘅女仔,但最後咪都係要settle with 雙儿。佢重未死心,一心生個女,個樣似我,個腦似佢,點知好衰唔衰啱啱掉轉,但我哋做父母嘅生嚿叉燒出嚟都想佢成世人都可以用6個月大人仔嘅無比自信笑容embrace the world in front of her.

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-23 15:58 編輯 ]

33#
發表於 11-6-24 15:57 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Eviepa

你睇吓,又一當局者迷嘅例子。喺我眼中嘅公主,連uncleedward話佢溫柔敦厚既人都忍唔住口話只不過係BK眾多BB之一。父母看子女,終究難免過獎或過貶。再者,用英文學嘢係會慢啲,但學生剩咁多時間做乜,又唔駛做part-time幫家,啲時間多出嚟又咪喺hea咗去。

Csy_ma,啍,你好!我係睚必報既小人。好,你先排pm嚟講個樣嘢,問過老公,叫 tethering,但佢話呢樣嘢太揚,唔啱個衰人用,都係pocket wifi好啲。等我唔覆你pm,等你成世都唔知。

唉,資深前輩開到聲,惟有收埋張三點式珍藏。

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-24 16:02 編輯 ]

34#
發表於 11-6-29 19:58 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Eviepa

I've been extremely busy these two days with my daughter's coming back and my mother-in-law's birthday. But as my family is going on a holiday starting tomorrow, I have no choice but to rush out some points for you. I do not have time for some detailed arguments your questions warrant but I am sure some other friends here would be happy to correct or supplement them. I am also thrilled to see here Judy whom I have never ‘met’. Your question, like the one from stccmc and Judy certainly will find no easy answer unless we can get hold a copy of Tsang's report. However, based on the two statistics courses I attended at university and the information in the links other friends provided here, I would have been extremely surprised that the statisticians posted at EDB which sponsored the study had failed to pick up some obvious pitfalls in the sampling design as some people here suspect. First, I am not sure the purpose of the study was an ambitious multi-regression model to find out all the factors contributing to better academic results. It was said, he purpose was just to “分析語文分流對五項升學階梯的「勝算率」時,學生的五項背景因素均透過統計方法加以控制,包括(1) 學生小六派位成績、(2) 學生家庭社經地位、(3) 學生性別、(4) 同屆同學的平均小六派位成績,以及(5) 同屆同學的平均家庭社經地位。根據這些因素,研究探討相同背景的香港學生,被分派到中文或英文中學就讀對他們在多個升學階梯的「勝算率」所產生的影響。
It is only natural to suspect the purpose of EDB’s sponsorship was somewhat political, i.e. to look for statistical proof for the merit of using Chinese as the teaching medium. Frankly, this should have been the outcome expected by a reasonable man like Eviepa, or even me.

Regarding the questions on the sampling raised by stccmc and Judy, here is my two cents. The total sample is very large but it does not mean all the samples were used in every part of the statistical analysis. As I suspect, the study was more a comparison exercise by classifying the students by academic standing, socio-economical background and sex, and then tracing them from the point they are separated into CMI and EMI schools to the point they go into universities. The large total sample size was just convenient as EDB has them in their database. But the large sample enabled an adequate size of each sub-sample for each control factors. That is why he could track the paths of 起點相同的學生。I suspect some simple correlation analysis was also included as I saw some comments from the interview saying socio-economic background did not affect the value-adding during the secondary school stage as Tsang suspected the factor was already built into a student’s academic standing before the secondary stage.

Eviepa's concern whether Tsang’s report was an apple to apple comparison as top students were relatively few at CMI school. I tend to agree but I suspect the researcher would have been aware of this as well. I can only presume the really big fish were left out in the study which could only tackle with smaller big fish and medium fish. By the same token, the really small fish should have been excluded as well. However, the tracking of those really big fish and really small fish are only academic, no matter what the academics say. Few parents, as Eviepa put it, would have the wisdom to forgo the chance of placing the really big fish in SPCC or DGS or other top schools and even fewer parents would have the capability to place the really small fish in an EMI school other than schools like 嘉道理。

Let’s have some faith in our academics who are responsible for teaching people like ourselves and our kids, at least in the handling of some basic sampling design. Our faith was also built on the reasonable assumption that the government was only more than happy to find fault with the study and don’t forget they have tons of very highly paid statisticians and some other friendly academics with them. And last, my husband told me that, thinking like a government official, he would never sponsor a so-called neutral study. There was always an agenda behind such a study. And the secret of obtaining a favourable result is not to interfere with the researcher, like a former vice-chancellor of HKU stupidly did, but to pick a researcher who has a similar position like your own and think similarly. Tsang’s report was divided into 3 stages and it went well initially for the government. Actually, one can tell Tsang did feel sad to see his own research result about the final stage. He said,「中中學生在初中雖享受到『輕鬆易學』的優勢,但卻同時大大 局限了他們學習英文的相對機會。面對大學語文門檻,更只能望門興嘆,對他們實在很不公平。」

You said ,“如果越大的塘,有越高的培養學生能力”-- 有點牽強;and you also said, ”平均來說,塘越大,增值指標越高;塘越小,增值指標越低” – of course not. As I said, we can have different value added scores for ponds of the same size. For example, 格仔裙 seems to have a higher value score than most other girls’ schools but I wouldn’t say their pond size is bigger than some other girls’ schools, for example DGS.

We can just stick to the seemingly credible results of Tsang’s research and rest our arguments unless someone among us has the means of getting hold of a report copy.

Finally, 李天命is not my idol. 勢利小女人如我係唔會封一個淨係講吓邏輯入門、寫幾句唔多會流傳後世嘅新詩,到退休都仲係講師嘅人做偶像嘅。

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-29 20:03 編輯 ]

35#
發表於 11-6-29 20:24 |顯示全部帖子

回復 3# judy 的帖子

Judy

Just two counter arguments right off my head for your consideration:

1. Eviepa is not unique. Quite a few parents choose secondary schools based on other factors. Some do prefer CMI e.g. Pu Ching or Pui Kiu or Heung To. Some are just ignorant. I came across more than a few parents in my district mixing up St Stephen's Church College with schools with similar names. Besides, in areas with few EMIs, CMIs may also have a higher chance of admitting more band 1 students as well.

2. Allotment of F6 places is not done totally based on HKCEE results. Students with lower scores have the right to be admitted into F6, against students from other schools, if he can score more than 14 points.

I am by no means thinking Tsang's study was perfect, but conspiracy theory tells me that some intelligent people in the government would have attacked the study from the same direction already.

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-29 20:27 編輯 ]

36#
發表於 11-6-29 20:32 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 judy 於 11-6-29 18:50 發表

我都未听見有理論話用外語來教育更好。学外語就学外語好了,何苦要用外語來辦教育,以便更好地学外語呢?

很多人,好象你一样,打算送孩子入英中学好英文。但有人認為這是不夠的。幾星期前我到畫校接阿三,近晚飯階段,接待處又 ...

Judy

Agreed with what you said here totally but it is relevant to the arguments here. 如果 other things being equal, 好似Eviepa話齋,用中文學梗係快靚正啦,仲駛講。

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-6-29 20:40 編輯 ]

37#
發表於 11-7-6 14:53 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 Judy 的文章

Judy

Sorry. The sentence in my post should have read "Agreed with what you said totally but it is irrelevant to the arguments here."

重有,我嗰頭講St Stephen Church,呢頭即刻有真人示範,由新界"慕名"而至:
http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/vie ... page%3D4&page=2

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-7-6 16:32 編輯 ]

38#
發表於 11-7-6 14:56 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 csy_ma 於 11-6-30 14:09 發表

Judy:

曾幾何時,我都係母語教育既支持者。不過事都埋身,就要睇清實際形勢。現實係,我家囡囡性格比較強,可以由家長話事既野好少。我地唔似Eviepa咁大能,可以要阿囡睇乜英文書就睇乜,又冇Stccmc等家長咁有遠見,播種於學前。 ...

Csy_ma

Don't get Judy wrong, She is also a fan for traditional elite schools. 即如莊陳友今日在AM730專欄講自然學校的種種好處,但陳的女兒唸啲中學,依然是眾立法會議員的女兒最popular的選擇。

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-7-6 16:24 編輯 ]

39#
發表於 11-7-6 18:36 |顯示全部帖子

回復 ANChan59 的帖子

ANChan

Having worked in global companies throughout his career, my husband is somewhat indifferent to local affairs. Although he is sitting on a supervisory board of a business school, he would never talk to me about local education matters unless I forced him to. What he said to me, I suspect, was picked up from "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister".

雙儿

40#
發表於 11-7-6 19:38 |顯示全部帖子

回復 eviepa 的帖子

Eviepa

前幾天一家人去了上海幾天。朋友的女兒(女兒小時在港的玩伴)在 Shanghai American School 剛完成12班,好幾間著名大學(LSE, UCLA, 女兒在唸的大學)都收了她,結果挑了美國東部一所名校。我們都為她感到高興。她本身當然努力,但父母的栽培可拍得住ANChan。每年夏天Oxford、Cornell 等名校的summer school,暑假做 internship等做到足,令我女兒也不禁投訴老公同我怠懶。聽她說,校內SAT過2300的全是韓國人,美國人孩子能入名校的寥寥可數。

Eviepa,我知道你執意要送女兒上本地大學,亦執意要女兒學好英文,但除了在上面我提到朋友那些costly的方法,其實有其它一般人都做得到的方法值得你 explore 一下。

到女兒唸中五時,申請 AFS 或 EF 的交換生計劃。一年全部費用十萬元左右,有經濟問題仲可以申請資助。名校生多數揀啲 exotic 嘅 locations,你就揀去美國,掉轉冇咁熱門。佢哋多數派你去中國人都唔多個嘅鎮仔嘅公立中學,一年落嚟,又唔俾假期返香港,又唔鼓勵同家人聯系,接觸英文機會好過你去名校讀四年大學。加上一個唔好彩考埋SAT 同 AP,經 non-jupas 條隊入港大好過你打生打死考 HKDSE。Eviepa你真喺要唸吓佢。

雙儿

[ 本帖最後由 雙儿 於 11-7-6 19:40 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖