搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Singapore International School
發新帖
查看: 11929|回覆: 9
go

Singapore International School [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 11-11-23 12:36 |顯示全部帖子
People send their kids to SIS because they want their kids to learn English AND Chinese.  If you are concerned about English ONLY, then perhaps your kids should go to ESF and GSIS etc. as suggested by KAKMAMA.  

SIS is an excellent school which will give your kids a solid foundation.  The only drawback is of course the workload is heavy especially when your kids get to higher levels.  Some students can handle the workloads easily as in the case of Leisurefan's kids.  Others may find it difficult or even unbearable.  I guess it all depends on the abilities of the individual kids as well as their own expectation.  Do they want to come first in the class or the level?  Or are they happy as long as they don't do badly?   A lot of the times, it also has to do with the attitude and expectation of the parents.  

As with other languages, whether your English is good or not depends a lot on the amount of time you spend on it.  When I say time, I mean both the time you spend in school as well as the time when you are at home.  If a SIS kids does reading all the time, his English won't be any worse off than any student from another IS.  Reading is the determining factor.  In the long run, it's far more important than what they teach you in school.  

When you mentioned oral English, I guess you are concerned about Singlish.  It's not a problem.  This accent will go away as soon as your kid leaves the school.

原帖由 meatloaf 於 11-11-23 11:19 發表
I joined the open day, however my english is not good, so cannot access their student's english level.

I know they have many homework / test, but not mean their english level is good (LS also has man ...

[ 本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 11-11-23 12:38 編輯 ]

2#
發表於 11-11-23 14:33 |顯示全部帖子

回復 23# meatloaf 的帖子

If you are really concerned about your kid's English level and her Chinese level doesn't bother you at all, then you could try GSIS (English stream).  The Germans are in general very disciplined.

3#
發表於 11-11-23 15:19 |顯示全部帖子

回復 25# meatloaf 的帖子

In theory, yes.  In practice, not necessarily so and I did come across cases refuting your belief.  As I said, a lot depends on how much reading the kids do after school.  一分耕耘, 一分收穫.

4#
發表於 11-12-7 09:52 |顯示全部帖子

回復 45# milesxiehk 的帖子

SIS only started the secondary school section a few years back.  I believe the first batch of IB students shall graduate in 2013.  Hence no university placement record yet.

5#
發表於 11-12-7 10:32 |顯示全部帖子

回復 43# elmostoney 的帖子

Mine left a few years ago after Y4/5.  Unlike other IS, a fair number of students leave because the works, exams and tests etc. are too demanding and the workloads too heavy.  This is so especially when one get to higher grades.  These students or their parents find it hard to handle the difficult works, the heavy workloads as well as the exams and tests.  Hence they leave.  But kids do have different abilities.  Some do not have these problems and in fact I heard one who found it too easy in Y6.

[ 本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 11-12-7 10:40 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 11-12-7 15:36 |顯示全部帖子
I can't really speak for the others and I am not sure if things have changed a lot in the last 3/4 years.  I hope others will correct me if I am wrong.  In my case, we sort of felt the pressure as we progressed up the levels.  Workloads were increasing quickly year by year and the stuff they learned at school were in my view quite difficult and definitely far in advance of those you would find in other IS.  Looking ahead, we could envisaged that the kids would find it hard to handle as the workloads would only get heavier.  So it's not really a question of Y3/4.  It's a question of whether we would stay until the end of secondary school as we know the latter we make a move, the more difficult it would be to find a seat elsewhere.  Most of the people I know went to other IS in HK.  Don't get me wrong though.  SIS is a very good school.  It will give your kids a solid foundation.  I am forever grateful to the school and the teachers there.  As I said, every kid is different.  Mine found it hard to handle but yours may thrive.  Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the discipline issue unless the kid is exceptionally naughty (and most aren't).

7#
發表於 11-12-8 01:07 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Compsognathus,

It's nice of you to share with us your experience.  I am glad to hear that you are happy and thriving at SIS.

Bobby

原帖由 compsognathus 於 11-12-7 22:06 發表
Dear All,

I am a P4 student in SIS. In all my years in SIS, I have never experienced actual hard workloads. I have 考查 for every 四课 and 越重洋(听写)差不多每个星期五。 SIS 是一个很好的学校因为可以学 ...

8#
發表於 12-6-29 14:51 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-6-29 15:30 編輯

回復 112200 的帖子

Hi, 112200

In the old days, they went to the usual ones such as ESF, CIS, CDNIS, GSIS.... etc.  But I am not sure about the current situation especially after the set up of the SIS secondary school.   Perhaps other parents can share.

9#
發表於 12-6-29 17:26 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-6-29 18:04 編輯
Jane1983 發表於 12-6-29 17:13
有朋友個仔讀到高小,轉去CIS (佢開心過中六合彩)。
佢話SIS語境吳錯,校風純樸,吳算死谷,但佢就話教d ...

http://dsj.big5.voc.com.cn/article/201201/201201101050226585.html

學得多及深, 長遠是否對小朋友一定有利呢?

10#
發表於 12-7-12 18:00 |顯示全部帖子
112200 發表於 12-7-12 17:31
Hi bobbycheung,

Me again. may I seek for your advice. As I know students ( ie primary and secondar ...
I think the current SIS parents are in a better position to answer your questions.  I don't really want to give you my out-dated information.  Sorry!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題