密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 so worry about the interview
查看: 6944|回覆: 42
go

so worry about the interview [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-1-12 12:32 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My little one went for an interview in one of those esf school. He is in cat.1 and have an older brother in the same school. But I am just so worry about his performance in the interview.  He was a little bit shy and cried at the end of the interview. I don't know thses will affect the result or not.
I applicatied DC for him as well,but DC even don't give him an interview. so if he fail this interview, he don't have other options.

0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 12-1-12 18:12 |只看該作者
A bit surprised that you didn't apply RC....  Anyway Cat 1+siblings should have 2nd interview if fail the 1st one, but not sure this year.

3#
發表於 12-1-13 13:13 |只看該作者
It's difficult.. don't think it's that fair to judge the kid just on the interview.. especially when they are so young!

4#
發表於 12-1-14 07:29 |只看該作者
but why is he in Cat 1?
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

5#
發表於 12-1-14 08:47 |只看該作者
He only could speak English, his dad is not a Chinese.

6#
發表於 12-1-15 15:19 |只看該作者
But you can speak to him in Chinese, cant you?  If you speak English (your second or third language) with him then definitely that will hinder his language development and he might have difficulties in expressing himself in public.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

7#
發表於 12-1-15 15:41 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

8#
發表於 12-1-15 18:39 |只看該作者
回復 Mighty 的帖子

if like what you said, those kids' parent are both Chinese but only talk to their kid in English, those kids might hardly to express themself in English?

9#
發表於 12-1-16 11:07 |只看該作者
Not necessarily.  But I think the best way is you speak to your child in your mother tongue, then your child will become truly multilingual.  I saw lots of successful cases.
I also noticed lots of English speaking kids whose parents are local Hong Kong Chinese make quite a few mistakes in their spoken English which only Chinese speaking people will make.  Like "open (shld be "turn on") the television, drink more water every day (shld be "drink lots of/plenty of water" every day) etc.   
If we want our kids to be truly multilingual, we should speak to our kids in our own language, because we express ourselves best in that way.  
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

10#
發表於 12-1-16 11:10 |只看該作者
回復 seasamestreet 的帖子

The teachers can pick out children who are truely Cat 1 or not... Don't worry too much about it.  Being shy usually won't make a child fail an interview.  Not talking or not being able to understand and respond makes a child fail an interview.

11#
發表於 12-1-16 15:24 |只看該作者
Agree with Mighty's point of view. I do not speak English with him at home except reading books.
My son also does not talk, so he did not perform good in interview, I worried but I understand it's not easy for him to adapt in new environement (esp during interview) in short time.
My colleague's younger son got accepted by ESF K1 but he cried all the time during the play visit, but his brother is also study in ESF. Usually they will put silbings in piority. Don't worry too much....

12#
發表於 12-1-16 20:08 |只看該作者
回復 Mighty 的帖子

Following your suggestion, no kids from Cantonese speaking families can get into international schools. From whom do toddlers learn English?

13#
發表於 12-1-16 20:39 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Mighty 於 12-1-16 15:40 編輯

Hi Nicole

I think you missed the point.  

I am trying to say that It doesnt help at all if you are speaking to your child in English when it is your 2nd or 3rd language.  

They should learn from native speakers.  This is very important for the foundation of language development.   If you are aiming for international schools then of course you should send your kids to English kindergartens so that they can have a wide exposure of native English during the day.  Some good English DVDs can help too after school.  

Speak to your child in your language, be it be Mandarin , Cantonese, or your own dialect whatever.  Then your child will become truly bilingual/multilingual and not just not-so-good English speakers and at the same time could not speak or write Chinese even when we are all Hong Kongers.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

14#
發表於 12-1-16 20:59 |只看該作者
Totally agree with Mighty.
I can't stand these parents speaking to their kids with their 'not-so-good' English in the public e.g. lift ... They should really speak 'their' language to ensure their kids will really be bilingual.

15#
發表於 12-1-17 01:09 |只看該作者
Mighty 發表於 12-1-16 20:39
I am trying to say that It doesnt help at all if you are speaking to your child in English when it is your 2nd or 3rd language.
The point is speaking good English to your child, and not whether English is your first or second or ninth language. Speaking English as a second language does not mean speaking BAD English, many teachers in international schools in Hongkong are of South Asian and South East Asian origin who speak English as a second language and they are competent English teachers nonetheless, albeit some parents do have an issue with them simply because they are not the right colour.

點評

piggiejai  Totally agree! I have heard plenty not-so-good-first-launguage English during my years spent overseas. We should not judge by skin colours.  發表於 12-1-17 01:35

16#
發表於 12-1-17 08:41 |只看該作者
No, nothing to do with your colour at all.  But why cant you speak to your child in your mother tongue, even if you can speak good English.  I can understand if there are people of different nationalities and that English is the only common language, then of course we should use English.  
As Poohsbaby has pointed out as well, you see lots of local parents who are struggling with English try so hard to speak to their children in English with the illusion that 'my child is English speaking'.  Very sad.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

17#
發表於 12-1-17 10:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 12-1-17 10:21 編輯
Mighty 發表於 12-1-17 08:41
No, nothing to do with your colour at all.  But why cant you speak to your child in your mother tong ...

Why this fuss about mother tongue? If you employ a Filipino domestic helper, would you prefer her to speak to your child in her Tagalog mother tongue? {:1_1:}

Language is a "living" skill, the more you use it the better it becomes, and it fades away if you neglect it. Many local schools in Hongkong employ native English teachers to teach English too, but their student's spoken English is not up to par simply because they never speak it outside of school. So even if the parent's English is "bad", it is still better than no English at home, unless learning English is of little concern to the family.

18#
發表於 12-1-17 10:37 |只看該作者
What is the logic of comparing a helper and a mother?  Anyway, I dont mind my helper (although I dont hv one) to teach my child a different language at all.  But I just dont understand why so many local chinese parents choose not to speak to their children in their own language.  That really hinders their children's language development in long term.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

19#
發表於 12-1-17 10:42 |只看該作者
回復 Mighty 的帖子

Agree with Mighty and I am proud of my kids being truely bilingual.  However, for the local parents who are Cat. 2 with no priority whatsoever and if they wish to send their kids to an ESF schools, I guess they will have no choice but to speak to their child in English only even if its the parents' 2nd language.  Not that I think it will do the child any good but this is the only way they can homemade Cat.1.

I just want to add that it is important to build up a child's 'Thinking language'.  Using parents' mother tongue to build up a child's thinking language can enable them to express themselve fully.  Of course, if the parents' second language is equaly strong as their 1st, there would be no problem.

20#
發表於 12-1-17 10:55 |只看該作者
CSJ安樂窩 發表於 12-1-17 10:42
Not that I think it will do the child any good but this is the only way they can homemade Cat.1 ...
There is nothing wrong with families trying to create a category 1 environment at home if that is what they want, I won't pass judgement on them and jump to conclusions like "it won't do the child any good" {:1_1:}

‹ 上一主題|下一主題