搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 即轉IB冇得輸
發新帖
樓主: workingmom
go

即轉IB冇得輸   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 21-7-23 15:32 |顯示全部帖子

May be a stupid question: would there be any difference in JUPAS and non-JUPAS if every DSE subject of every DSE student were upgraded by one grade (except those who already received 5**)?  After all, university admission in HK is a game of ranking.  Offering a place to the top one in the non-JUPAS queue means rejecting the bottom one in the JUPAS queue.

CityU's Tech Tiger programme requires:

• JUPAS: HKDSE score ≥ 28 in 4 core and 2 elective subjects
  • Non-JUPAS: GCEAL ≥ 2A*+1A or IB Diploma score ≥ 38 or other equivalent qualifications

and so 28 in 4+2X of DSE = A*A*A in GCE = 38 in IB.  In what sense DSE students are at a disadvantage?  

By the way, when I first met the term 神科 years ago, I thought 科 = a course studying 學 and so logically 神科 = a course studying 神學.  

2#
發表於 21-7-23 17:51 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Poyau 的帖子

Every local student could attend a local school offering the local curriculum and then could sit DSE.  But IB schools are all academically selective, which is true not only locally but worldwide.  This is analogous to the difference in GCSE/A level results between independent schools and state schools in the UK.

IB 40+ worldwide2020: 9701 out of 174360 = 5.56%2021: 15513 out of 170660 = 9.09%

No one would deny that IB had an abnormal grade inflation in 2021, but unless you believe that the inflation would remain, the figures in 2021 would be of little interest to students in coming years.

It may be inspiring to note that in the book Freakonomics, the authors (one of who is a professor in U of Chicago) found statistically that children's academic performance appeared to be less influenced by "what the parents do", and more influenced by "who the parents are" as people.  

點評

kinder.bb    發表於 21-7-24 10:42

3#
發表於 21-7-25 14:07 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 PeterWong2021 的帖子

If your only concern is getting the title 狀元, then probably you are right.  Because IB adopts criteria referencing, while 5** in DSE is not, and DSE students taking 4+2X, even if receiving perfect scores, could never be counted as 狀元.
But I still don’t understand what the meaning of “higher” scores is when one comparing IB and DSE.  Let me ask again: would it make any difference (other than the number of 狀元) if every subject of every DSE student were upgraded by one grade, except those who are already 5**?  

4#
發表於 21-7-25 17:02 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 PeterWong2021 的帖子

Ok ok, suddenly you stop using the best 10 students attending the top 10 schools but return to the old argument of comparing the percentage of DSE students vs that of IB students without adjusting the denominator of the former with reference to the difference in the composition of the two populations.  And so I probably have to repeat the argument of selective IB schools vs non-selective DSE schools.  Perhaps it’s time for me to leave this infinite loop.  

5#
發表於 21-7-25 19:50 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 PeterWong2021 的帖子

You now return to the 狀元 argument and you still repeat your “higher scores” statement without defining “higher”.

Using an infinite loop is the best strategy to win an argument over the Internet, when the winner is defined to be the last one who remains in the loop.  No problem.  You win.  Congratulations and Ciao.

6#
發表於 21-7-30 18:01 |顯示全部帖子
workingmom 發表於 21-7-30 07:31
就算讀醫科都係,如果用non JUPAS IB 入讀,
不少人可以 不用修讀第一年課程,
所以先至話:就就算 嘥1 年 ...

HKU MBBS:
Applicants with GCE A-Level, Cambridge Pre-U or IB Diploma qualifications and at least seven years of secondary education at the time of being admitted to the University will be granted 6 credits of Advanced Standing for Core University English course.

7#
發表於 21-7-30 22:15 |顯示全部帖子
Augesttime 發表於 21-7-30 21:32
這個英文,就算DSE都有得waive,好似拎5*就可以了。唔係某些考試獨有。
waive呢個英文係可以用英文考試分 ...
I believe one can apply for exemption if s/he gets 5** in DSE, but the 6 units are not earned.  Course requirement exemption is different from credit transfer.  No one can earn local university credits by DSE exam.
“At least 7 years of secondary education” is a necessary condition for advanced standing.  

8#
發表於 21-8-7 16:07 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 workingmom 的帖子

“路不轉人轉, 制度不會因你而改變。”

If all DSE students switched to IBD, what differences in their ranks in the admission queue could we expect?

9#
發表於 21-8-7 21:23 |顯示全部帖子
workingmom 發表於 21-8-7 17:35
不用擔心,政府有嚴格的規定,受資助學校的大部份學生雖要選擇DSE課程,國際學校除外。
幸福是要努力去爭 ...

I used the second conditional: if + past tense.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖