密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 再有人打擊我為女兒選讀國際學校的決定 ...
樓主: play
go

再有人打擊我為女兒選讀國際學校的決定 [複製鏈接]

141#
發表於 07-7-14 15:54 |只看該作者
It's not teachers' choice to use spoon teaching method. Local education force us - teachers to do that. We do not have time to use loads of activities to finish the curriculum. On the other hands, as some parents said, our students are not good both in Chinese and English. Because these two languages are NOT their mother tongue. Their mother tongue is Cantonese. Much time is used to build up their language usuage. That's why I send my children to IS as well.

原文章由 bubbles114 於 07-4-9 10:51 發表
Hi Play,

why do you have to bother other people's judgement?  it is not your relatives/friends' decision but yours.

In my opinion, studying IS is not about the kids' Chinese/English profici ...

142#
發表於 07-7-14 19:41 |只看該作者
原文章由 joyfung 於 07-7-14 15:54 發表
It's not teachers' choice to use spoon teaching method. Local education force us - teachers to do that. We do not have time to use loads of activities to finish the curriculum. On the other hands ...

So do you think your children now have the very good English standard and at least acceptable Chinese?  Also when the teachers have to face 40 students, attention is surely to be not enough for each.  Sometimes I do empahthize with the teachers' situation and pressure.  As for myself I also lost confidence in the HK education system and we're moving to the IS/DSS streams.  All new trial hopefully to find the alternates to local schools!:)

143#
發表於 07-7-14 21:06 |只看該作者
Actually, we have more than 40 students in a class. In upper forms, sometimes there are 45 students in a class.

原文章由 hjm 於 07-7-14 19:41 發表

So do you think your children now have the very good English standard and at least acceptable Chinese?  Also when the teachers have to face 40 students, attention is surely to be not enough f ...

144#
發表於 07-7-24 22:51 |只看該作者

IS

Well, I see....for an IS, probably the ratio is 1:30 at the most.  Or at least that's why we're told with my son's IS at secondary level.  I really like the idea of having smaller classes.  And wearing T-shirt uniform!

145#
發表於 07-7-25 15:40 |只看該作者
好多人都好無知而又鍾意發表荒謬意見的,ignore them.
原文章由 丫頭 於 07-6-26 13:28 發表
今日又有人走黎同我講您對b讀完中學諗住點? 我話跟住上大學囉, 佢又話:咁您又話可能唔夠錢比佢地去外國讀大學?  我話係HK讀大學都得者, 佢話IS學生好難係HK讀大學因為銜接唔到 我話銜接唔到係乜意思? 佢話 ...

146#
發表於 07-7-26 03:34 |只看該作者
原文章由 Ruby1219 於 07-5-26 10:04 發表
You sound racist and discriminative to the other IS.
I think most IS parents are looking for happy learning environment for their kids rather than the 'materialistic' reason of making connectio ...

Sorry, passing here again...

I totaly understand your point...and know why you all sounded upset hearing what I said...
but as much as you don't like to hear... I'm just giving you a cold hard dose of reality...

and I've seen many many cases ... WHO You know makes a difference... especially those you know from High school and college.

you can't deney it ...this is how the world goes....

Schools are the same , the teaches the same thing.... but you want your kids to hang around with the right kinda kids.....right? it's not about $$.. it's what they'll be exposed to!

Later, when your kid is  out there with 2 masters degree and still not able to find a job when times are bad....guess who  is gonna get it 1st? the one who know someone? or the one with no connection?

Of course, it's not the main purpose of sending your kids tIS... like I said, good colleage placement is also important!
which IS gets the students into famous college?
and why?-----it's their CONNECTION too!!!

I know it doesn't sound nice, but it's the reality....sorry, other teaching my kid honestly and interigty... I won't forget the reality!

147#
發表於 07-7-26 12:32 |只看該作者
Dear all,

At the end, parents make their own decision.  So just listen to those who share with you .... you don't have to tell them what decision you make for your own child. Right?!

Today, children are very smart ... I think the problem of 銜接 should not be a main problem.  Smart kids study in chinese primary and secondary school can study overseas without problem!! 培正 及金文泰 are good examples.  Student in Mainland China can also get a good score in oversea university.

To be bilingual, I think we need to give kids more support outside school when they are young.   

What important is to find a school for your kid which cares about their student, shares same concepts with parents and the kid enjoys studying there.  

148#
發表於 07-7-26 13:51 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

149#
發表於 07-7-26 16:59 |只看該作者
原文章由 Jillbaba 於 07-7-26 13:51 發表
Sorry Katyfok
They are not upset. Why should we be upset because someone is too ignorant and arrogant?
You know why? Because someone seems to have a deviated value system as he/she thinks  ...

Chill out please :loveliness::loveliness:
Now , , , if I may say so, what you said is  stretching the facts too much and putting words into Katyfok's mouth.
Where and what  exactly did Katyfok write that makes you think she's a supporter of   the criminal act of bibery ?

As for 'connections', they are just the bare facts of life that we partake in everyday. Don't tell me you haven't use them.
. . . . . . . . . . . ..

You are the senior partner of a law firm / polyclinic / fashion magazine/whatever. You have a daughter, let's call her Amy.  It so happens there is a vacancy for a summer internship in your firm. If you advertise this vacancy in the SCMP so that every aspiring law student/fashion designer/whatever in  HK  is given a fair chance, your firm  will be deluged with 3 thousand applicants and all your resources will be exhausted just looking into the 3000 application letters.
Now your daughter Amy has a best friend, let's call him Bob. You've met him a quite a few  times and you think he's a fine man. From what your daughter told you, Bob is the top boy in school, He's brillant , hardworking and smart. It also happens that Bob is interested to become a lawyer/doctor/whatever too, and would like to take that summer intern job to gain more exposure  to  that field.
My question is, will you just give that coveted intern job to Bob , or waste countless man-hours sieving through 3000 applicants , just to discover the next Martin Lee SC ?
And if  Bob then gets the job, is he using his connections ? Has he done anything wrong ?

Another example :
Some top US colleges ( universities ) have appointed a handful of experienced IS teachers as their overseas advisers, who are actually talent-spotters for these US colleges. If it so happens that your son , whose academic achievements are already gleaming, is the student of one of these 'overseas advisers', will your son  consider asking this teacher to write a letter of recommendation for him , bearing in mind that this recommendation letter will carry a lot of weight on his application ?
If so, is your son using a connection not available to most of the other applicants ? Is he doing something wrong ?

I don't know how you feel, but I guess 99.999% of parents will not hesistate one second to use this kind of connections. I don't see anything morally or legally wrong with it. Do you ?
I guess it is what Kathyfok is talking about.

I'm  adding my 2cents simply because I think someone who speaks out the truths of life does not deserve to be slighted in this manner .

[ 本文章最後由 Cayenne 於 07-7-26 17:14 編輯 ]

150#
發表於 07-7-27 14:42 |只看該作者

151#
發表於 07-7-27 15:39 |只看該作者
原文章由 Jillbaba 於 07-7-27 14:42 發表
I  can proudly say that I did not rely on any connections to reach my present stage.
A derivated value system will lead to loss of value and as a parent we have to be careful. Deep in Katy's  ...

C'mon, , , one moment I'm  talking about asking a friendly uncle to get a summer internship placement, and the next moment you're talking about insider trading and what not. That's quite a quantum leap isn't it ? That's what I call stretching the facts.

I admire your single-handed struggle to the top.

But hey ! May be we're twins ? ! I have received no help from anyone since my primary school, as I began paying  my own  fees  through scholarship and tutoring. Everything I have, I get it through blood, sweat and tears. Can I pontificate and say  the same proud words  as  you do ?

I dare not.

Because without an old friend who supplied me with insider information on the pros and cons of a certain IS, I wouldn't have made the  correct decision in the most critical stage of my child's education.
And without the advice of a senior alumnus, I wouldn't have make an informed choice on my future career.

An the list goes on and on.

Yes, these are the connections I have used all my life, and  I am not ashamed at all because they are not the type that you try to paint  your broad brush with.

[ 本文章最後由 Cayenne 於 07-7-27 16:09 編輯 ]

152#
發表於 07-7-27 16:00 |只看該作者
I would like to know the fee of ESF per month.
Anyone knows?

153#
發表於 07-7-28 12:28 |只看該作者
For year 2007/2008
Primary (yr 1 to 6): HK$54,300 (10 instalments)
Secondary (yr 7 to 13): HK$85,000 (10 instalments)

原文章由 Moonhui 於 07-7-27 16:00 發表
I would like to know the fee of ESF per month.
Anyone knows?

154#
發表於 07-7-29 02:34 |只看該作者
First of all,
Thank you Cayenne! I guess no need for me to explain at this point... you've done marvelous job.

Jillbaba,
Lighten up!
" crossing the line"? " bribery"? ..wow, you remind me of those chess Chinese TV series .
IN those series
1. Most rich people are somehow " evil". They’re either crooks or facing family problems! Their next generation knows nothing but partying, their wives knows nothing but  ways to spend $!
2. the successful ones are those from " not so well-off" families, they work their way up to the top... find him/herself a great boy/girl friend...  and live happily ever after ( or course, they struggled , but managed to beat the bag guys, aka the rich)

well, please don't jump to the conclusion. Having good connection doesn’t equal to tempting to bribe later on! Or “ crossing the line” like you mentioned.
( in fact, if you really wanna go into that, I would assume it's the ones who doesn't have the connection needs to bribe ,hee hee)

If you have watched too much TV when you're younger, perhaps you've been poisoned!

I guess, other hard working, you're also very lucky.
Never say Never ! Do you have kids? If yes, oh well, I don't know.. "the road is long".
You never know.......perhaps one day you will use some connection for your kids ( or not)and you don't even realize it.

Finally, I think you're a little out of the line here.. we're here to discuss a topic and there's no need to call me " poor soul" , " Arrogant"  or " ignorant"!!!
Be a little bit more open -minded pls... we are discussing a topic here , not in a battle. Calling names when you hear things you don’t agree with… that’s one thing I ‘m not teaching my kids!

It's good that you " never" use any connection.. perhaps with this kinda attitude, you don't have too many people to connect with!

Whatever! whatever! Do whatever you like and believe in whatever you feel comfortable with as long as you’re not hurting anyone….no one’s gonna come and force you…. that’s the beauty of a free society! SO.... CHILL OUT!

[ 本文章最後由 katyfok 於 07-7-29 02:52 編輯 ]

155#
發表於 07-7-29 02:44 |只看該作者
Jillbaba,

one las thing...

You're too funny!  I've never said this.. you said it FOR ME thou and its' NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

" ..You know why? Because someone seems to have a deviated value system as he/she thinks connection is more important than efforts...."

I was trying to point out " connection " is very important!
I would never tell my kids forget about harding hard and just party with the " right" people!!!!!

156#
發表於 07-7-29 08:44 |只看該作者
原文章由 katyfok 於 07-7-29 02:44 發表
Jillbaba,

one las thing...

You're too funny!  I've never said this.. you said it FOR ME thou and its' NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

" ..You know why? Because someone seems to have a deviated value sy ...

Ithink you were not only pointing it out as important but try to makeitas a rule that it is the number one priority to choose school!

Ifgetting connected to the *right* (from your perspective, arethosekids  with rich and powerful parents) people is what youthink themost important for a child's education, I am sure that youcare the money that your kid will make much more than your kid.

Educationis not all about how much money and how great a career yourkids shouldhave in the future course of their lives. It is about how to nuturethem to be a decent people and have the right attitude totheir lives.

Localschool go one way by spoon-feeding academic knowledge to peoplebutneglecting almost entirely the soft-skills and attitude that oneneedsto be a decent people. IS may be able to provide some sort of abalancethat from my experience should be the most important thing todo.However, you have actually gone to a long way to think thatgainingconnection is the number one mission that all the parents shouldhaveon considering the best education of their kids. Is it reasonable?

Takinga short-cut if your kid are not able may be understandable. Butdo youthink you should put more focus on how the school can help tomake yourkid able first?

[ 本文章最後由 Magneto 於 07-7-29 09:11 編輯 ]

157#
發表於 07-7-31 01:06 |只看該作者

「貧而無諂,富而無驕。」《論語。學而》

158#
發表於 07-7-31 02:04 |只看該作者
ssaang,
I agree with you !

[ 本文章最後由 Kalani 於 07-7-31 02:15 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題