用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 speak cantonese at home but study in IS
查看: 2175|回覆: 27
go

speak cantonese at home but study in IS

發表於 09-2-5 11:19 |顯示全部帖子
Is you speak cantonese to your child and study in IS? I want to speak cantonese (my mother lang) to my son (21 months), cos I feel communicate with the child in mother lang much better and 親切窩心.  But I also want he can speak fluent English, I want to send him to Int'l Kinder, however many IS request the child fluent in English and native speaker, how can I do, please help and share your experience. Many thanks.

發表於 09-2-5 11:23 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

I speak both to my girl and I let her to watch Disney channel in English.

發表於 09-2-5 12:20 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks for your sharing!

My boy is late talk, he understand our meanings but speaks serval wordings only. So, I'm afraid he speaks late & late when I talk to him in both language.

原帖由 PurpleSea 於 09-2-5 11:23 發表
I speak both to my girl and I let her to watch Disney channel in English.

發表於 09-2-5 13:36 |顯示全部帖子
It doesn't matter if you plan to Pre-school at international Kindergarten. But you may let him know how to interview (good English).
You may teach some words everydays/ reading the big book/ video/ TV. Disneyland channel is good but don't give him more half hour each time (Harmful to see TV - Shortsight).
Bye  
原帖由 nc2000 於 09-2-5 11:19 發表
Is you speak cantonese to your child and study in IS? I want to speak cantonese (my mother lang) to my son (21 months), cos I feel communicate with the child in mother lang much better and 親切窩心.   ...
When the rain is over, the sky clears up take one's course 順其發展;聽其自然

發表於 09-2-5 13:46 |顯示全部帖子
I talk with my son mainly in Cantonese.  But we read English book and watching English DVDs/CDs before he go to Nursery.  (Now we are reading Chinese book)

He was studying in a local school in N1 and now IS in K1.  

I don't find big problem in his English after 1/2 year in kindy.  He can now comunicate with his friend in English using full sentance.  Of course, it is a bit difficult for him at the very beginning, since his English is limited.  So, when school started in Sept. I spend about 2 hours a day to talk with him in English.

I insist to talk with him in Cantonese because I want to be able to speak and read Chinese.

原帖由 nc2000 於 09-2-5 12:20 發表
Thanks for your sharing!

My boy is late talk, he understand our meanings but speaks serval wordings only. So, I'm afraid he speaks late & late when I talk to him in both language.
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/153827.png[/img]

發表於 09-2-5 13:54 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

其實每樣嘢都要balance,我雖然想小朋友入international school, 但冇理由因為咁就吾同佢講中文. 有D讀international school 大的小朋友大大吓吾肯speak Chinese, 到時後悔就太遲. 我注重English多D但once佢入了international school, I will switch back 注重番多D中文

發表於 09-2-5 14:27 |顯示全部帖子
我自己就絶不賛成如父母2位都是土生土長的香港人、只同児女講英文。  有時在街上聴到2個香港父母用港式英文同児女講、発音同文法都錯漏百出、実在毛管也動起。 這對2種語言発展都不好。  如果要学港式英文、就不用上IS了。  父母都否定自己本身語言、小朋友也不会尊重自己的母語的。

想学好就一定要同NATIVE学。  先打好自己母語底、再学其他也無問題的。

在家説母語、当然也可一起看外語CARTOON,真的要学原汁英文、可去有NATIVE老師的PLAYGROUP OR NURSERY.

(純属個人意見、不喜請不用動気)
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

發表於 09-2-5 14:46 |顯示全部帖子
Many American or Canadian born Chinese are now spending more time on learning Chinese. Chinese is now a choice as a second language over there. Even western kids are learning. Just think about their competitiveness 10 years later. At RC, our head of language department Mr Brasher is in fact one of our Chinese teachers.

I do not know whether parents are aware, but most Indian or Japanese children in Hong Kong can speak Indian or Japanese as well. Just think about the popularity of the Indian or Japanese languages in Hong Kong. It must be hard for them to keep up with their languages but they can do it.

My experience is that, being able to speak Chinese would not make a child's English poor. At the same time, it would also not make your child's English better by avoiding Chinese at all.

I have lots of ABC friends that speak very good 台山話 or 福建話 at home with their parents. On the other hand, I have seen so many local Hong Kong kids that have been "trained" by parents to be complete (and only) English users, yet their English written and reading skills are not that fantastic.

Parents should not be too obsessed with the myth: that the by preventing the use of Chinese, your child will be good at English. Unfortunately, many children's language skills have indeed been limited by many parents.

Personal views only.

發表於 09-2-5 14:49 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-2-5 16:31 |顯示全部帖子
At parent day , the Class teacher told me my daughter learnt not many ....
From us , I always with her study reading books and to join any English course.
Why her teacher is said "you cannot a good English (First/Mum Tongue) language ....and only second language only. It make me unhappy.
Why she said like this! I doubt her reponsibilty at all and the Christian School.
And One more Case, the school teachers often isolation some ADHD's child at the corner and punish him! I really don't like them no take care him and only said "Anything can help????But his mum to need help, they only said to principle "why she always disturb the teacher?????"""

原帖由 almom 於 09-2-5 14:46 發表
Many American or Canadian born Chinese are now spending more time on learning Chinese. Chinese is now a choice as a second language over there. Even western kids are learning. Just think about their c ...

發表於 09-2-5 18:43 |顯示全部帖子
我當然好贊成你講法, 所以我至post呢個題目! 我同husband 係土生土長香港仔, 就係受過香港填鴨教育, 即使大學畢業生都係不太流利港式英語! 所以想小朋友讀開放式既教育-IS. 但我又注重小朋友既中文程度, 但英語又想佢無港式ascent, 所以請教各位如何定位!

我既理想做法係, 家人同小朋友講cantonese, 學校學到native english, 但怕唔同佢講又考唔到IS同埋即使入讀IS 佢又唔適應聽唔明!

我心儀ESF KINDER, 要考小朋友咩? 聽講如果小朋友識中文入讀ESF機會會低?  請問你地小朋友係讀邊間KINDER 呢? 謝

原帖由 Mighty 於 09-2-5 14:27 發表
我自己就絶不賛成如父母2位都是土生土長的香港人、只同児女講英文。  有時在街上聴到2個香港父母用港式英文同児女講、発音同文法都錯漏百出、実在毛管也動起。 這對2種語言発展都不好。  如果要学港式英文、就不用 ...

發表於 09-2-5 18:47 |顯示全部帖子
KAKAYA
Which school is your daughter study? The class teacher said that you cannot a good English language??? Oh GOD!

原帖由 KaKaYa 於 09-2-5 16:31 發表
At parent day , the Class teacher told me my daughter learnt not many ....
From us , I always with her study reading books and to join any English course.
Why her teacher is said "you cannot a good  ...

[ 本帖最後由 nc2000 於 09-2-5 21:08 編輯 ]

發表於 09-2-5 19:55 |顯示全部帖子
ESF kinder no interview at all,

發表於 09-2-5 20:18 |顯示全部帖子
1. ESF Kinder doesn't need interview at all. If you and your kids hold overseas passport and birth certificate you will have priority.

2. I agree we need to teach kid chinese as we are all chinese. But to speak to them with Eng and watch eng tv is simply becuase some IS will need to interview your kid in pure English, and they need to know if your kid can understand english good enough to learn in P1 onward. I think you need to accept the rules of the game first, otherwise please don't consider IS as you may not be able to fulfil their min requirment.

3. Remember, the 1st priority student is expat, not local HK people. So if we want our kids to get in IS, like ESF, better you prepare them to soak in a at least 80-90% English environment

4. Of course, once your kid has a place in IS prmary school, switch them back to talk to them in Chinese, take them to have some more Chinese lesson. For ESF, you can do this switch at 4 which I think it is not too late.

Just my 2 cents. Remember, if you can't give a good Eng environment to your kid, or if you think you can't teach them good english, please re-consider actually what you need. You can't get the best of both sides, and you are hurting your children by giving them "semi-salty water" to drink. If your kid can't speak good english and got fail out from IS interview, can you (or your kid) afford to go back to local school and face the "Duck-feeding) kind of educational system?? Think Think!

發表於 09-2-5 21:22 |顯示全部帖子
seems this year, oversea passport holder don't have any advantages......

發表於 09-2-5 21:34 |顯示全部帖子
why? Your kid study in ESF Kinder?

原帖由 steamball 於 09-2-5 21:22 發表
seems this year, oversea passport holder don't have any advantages......

發表於 09-2-5 21:46 |顯示全部帖子
heard from others only, my daughter got an offer from WKS, still thinking worth to go or not, cuz my target is ESF primary, but her current kinder (Leapfrog ) also very good

發表於 09-2-5 23:08 |顯示全部帖子
One of my friend' gal and my son do not hold any overseas passport but are accepted by ESF this yr.  However, my another friend's son who holds an overseas passport is in the waiting list.  So, I think overseas passport is not a must.

發表於 09-2-5 23:21 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 BabyMiMi 於 09-2-5 23:08 發表
One of my friend' gal and my son do not hold any overseas passport but are accepted by ESF this yr.  However, my another friend's son who holds an overseas passport is in the waiting list.  So, I thin ...

ESF Kinder or Primary you are talking about?

發表於 09-2-6 13:22 |顯示全部帖子

international school's culture?the teacher suppose on time to go out ???

The teacher is very good English. But look like very nice but not willing to pay more time in after school.
She prefer the parent teach the children more....and no request from the parents...............
原帖由 nc2000 於 09-2-5 18:47 發表
KAKAYA
Which school is your daughter study? The class teacher said that you cannot a good English language??? Oh GOD!