用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Any "Pure" Hong Kong Kid being accepted by ESF Prima ...
查看: 7167|回覆: 59
go

Any "Pure" Hong Kong Kid being accepted by ESF Primary School ?

發表於 09-2-5 22:05 |顯示全部帖子
Did any kids from pure Hong Kong family being accepted by ESF primary school.  (not PIS)  Thanks for sharing.

發表於 09-2-5 23:17 |顯示全部帖子
Do you mean Cat 2 student with no overseas passport and not native English speaker? I think those applied QBS has higher chance as I saw in this forum, since there are less foreigners living in that place I believed, compare to other place like Sai Kung or Mid-Level....

發表於 09-2-6 02:35 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Popolung

I agreed with your point.  I am interested in knowing how does ESF deal with students for Cat 1 or Cat 2 with regard to the subject matter (i.e. kids from pure Hong Kong family)

Do you know how does ESF classify Cat 1 or Cat 2 for the following students from a pure Hong Kong family:

1) Student born in HK & holding both HKSAR &  foreign passport (by descent)
2) Student born overseas holding both HKSAR passport (by descent) & a foreign passport
3) Student born in HK & holding HKSAR passport;

Does it give a merit to enter into ESF if a student born in HK and holds both local & foreign passport?  

From what I learnt at this forum, ESF does count a pure HK student who is also holding foreign passport. The student must be good at speaking English.   

My son applies to item 1 above and he is studying at TT Kinder, speaks English & little mandarine at school.  When he is home, he will speaks both English and cantonese.  As time goes by, I want him to speak more English to cope with ESF P1 interview.

When will I know my son be classified as Cat 1 or Cat 2 by ESF?  Before or after the interview?

BR

發表於 09-2-6 07:34 |顯示全部帖子
My son goes to TY and I know for sure there is a very high percentage of kids who are from local families. According to the school, more than 90% (I cannot recall the exact percentage) of the kids get their places at various ESF Primary schools.

I hope this remains true for the years to come.

發表於 09-2-6 10:18 |顯示全部帖子
This is how they classified Cat 1 & Cat 2:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1039&langNo=1

Category One

Children who speak English as a first or alternative language but do not speak Cantonese and/or read and write Chinese characters.

Category Two

Children who can access the local system but who also meet ESF's entrance requirements.

Within each category priority will be given to students who:

are siblings of children already attending an ESF school;
are attending an ESF Educational Services Ltd Kindergarten (for Year One only);
are former students returning from a period overseas;
have a parent who is a full-time employee of ESF;
are the children of former ESF students.

Your kid should be Cat 1, if he / she has overseas birth certificate it is much better, but I guess passport will do. Also speaking english only as native english speaker is important too!  So start your training from now on until the P1 interview finish.....

原帖由 Mornington 於 09-2-6 02:35 發表
Dear Popolung

I agreed with your point.  I am interested in knowing how does ESF deal with students for Cat 1 or Cat 2 with regard to the subject matter (i.e. kids from pure Hong Kong family)

Do you ...

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-2-6 10:20 編輯 ]

發表於 09-2-6 10:24 |顯示全部帖子
hi, just wanna see for the English standard of ESF students, as majority of the students are from local chinese family, will they allow to chat in Cantonese? cos as heard from the talk of ESF kinder, they said they will allow kids to communicate with their mother language when playing, but not in the class. Cos i am worried, if the majority of students are local Chinese, can my kid develop native accent in ESF?

Tks!

發表於 09-2-6 11:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 teresalok620 於 09-2-6 10:24 發表
hi, just wanna see for the English standard of ESF students, as majority of the students are from local chinese family, will they allow to chat in Cantonese? cos as heard from the talk of ESF kinder,  ...

While my kid is in ESF Kinder, most of them communicate in Eng. If teacher see group of Cantonese Kids speak in Cantonese, some of the teacher may put those kids in diff sub-group so they will be playing and learning separately. Once again, if you want your kid to speak native English, in Kinder there is only 3 hours per day. You have to create an English speaking environment at home, like watching Eng Channels only (my daughter watch Playhouse Disney Channel for almost 3+ years, now also watch Nick Jr.) and speak to them more in English, read English story book for them, etc. that will help, at least do this until they have gone via the P1 interview....

發表於 09-2-6 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
tks popolung. Yes, we are doing the same things as u now....But just thinking for moving to primary, can they actually develop native accent....

發表於 09-2-6 11:54 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 teresalok620 於 09-2-6 11:44 發表
tks popolung. Yes, we are doing the same things as u now....But just thinking for moving to primary, can they actually develop native accent....

Don't worry. If you are in normal ESF, they will have more program to develop language skill. They will learn more than Eng as they will mix up with kids from all around the world. I have relative graduated in SC that know even French / Italian / Japanese and a bit Russian. At least they have better chance to expose to Eng more than in local school. By then you should start to worry about teaching them Chinese like other parents are worrying about ......

發表於 09-2-6 12:05 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-2-6 12:15 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Annie123 於 09-2-6 12:05 發表
As far as I know, the majority of ESF students are local Chinese kids.

Not really, depends on which ESF school you are talking about. The ESF kinder my daughter is studying is still 80% foreigners for her class (K2). But looks like K1 has dropped to 50-60% only.

發表於 09-2-6 13:40 |顯示全部帖子
I've read some threads in a expats' forum...They do concern the % of Local Hong Kong Chinese kids when choosing an IS...they don't prefer too many Chinese in an IS...haha...
Thanks to the Change and Change and Change from our Hong Kong Education Bureau, more and more Chinese will rush to IS (me too)...

原帖由 popolung 於 09-2-6 12:15 發表

Not really, depends on which ESF school you are talking about. The ESF kinder my daughter is studying is still 80% foreigners for her class (K2). But looks like K1 has dropped to 50-60% only.

發表於 09-2-6 13:52 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-2-6 13:52 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 oooray 於 09-2-6 13:40 發表
I've read some threads in a expats' forum...They do concern the % of Local Hong Kong Chinese kids when choosing an IS...they don't prefer too many Chinese in an IS...haha...
Thanks to the Change and C ...

Me 3!

發表於 09-2-6 13:58 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Annie123 於 09-2-6 13:52 發表

I would not want to comment on which school or which class. But the general situation is that ESF has mostly local kids. I do not think there is anything wrong with admitting this fact.

I think th ...

it really varied from School to School. Take an example for primary, you will see more local chinese in QBS but lesser in BHS or IS. It would depend on if there are more foreigners in that placement zone. See even Cat 2 has chance for interview in first round for QBS but forget it in CWBS or BHS, SC, etc. Just my 2 cents only.

For me I don't mind they have more local kids in ESF, as long as they can keep the teacher and teaching standards. And we can't control that happen anyway, and I can't afford to go to school like GSIS or HKIS anyway....

發表於 09-2-6 21:19 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Mornington 於 09-2-6 02:35 發表
1) Student born in HK & holding both HKSAR &  foreign passport (by descent)

Mornington,
Your kid was born in HK holding both HKSAR & foreign passports. If you & your husband are also Chinese, I think you kid would be very likely classified as Cat.2. students under ESF admission priority. Local Chinese holding foreign passports are treated more or less the same way as ones with just HKSAR passports since the mother tongue of these children is still considered to be Chinese, in spite that they attend international kindergartens.

[ 本帖最後由 birdbird 於 09-2-6 21:53 編輯 ]

發表於 09-2-9 23:59 |顯示全部帖子
My son has been studying at the international class at Hong Kong (Ascot) Preschool and offered a place by SJS. He speaks good English and some Mandarin.

發表於 09-2-10 01:27 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Miclint

Great to hear that you son can speak good English.  Can you share some view to us?  It sounded like your son was treated as Cat 1.  Do you speak in English all the time to you son?  How did you get managed your son spoke in English during the ESP P1 interview?

Have you got other older son/daughter admitted by ESF before?  

BR

發表於 09-2-10 12:44 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Miclint,

Did your son got a foreign passport?

發表於 09-2-10 13:30 |顯示全部帖子
Dear all,

My whole family ( i.e. my husband, my daughter and me ) are all born in Hong Kong and held HKSAR passport. We don't have any foreign passport.

My daughter was accepted by Kowloon Junior School.  Now she is P5.

I have seen a lot discussions/questions from Moms or Dads in various forums asking for the methods, tricks, tips to enter ESF.

I have also disucssed with many ESF parents,  teachers and admission officers during school events like sports day, music concert and outings for many mant times in the past years.

I would like to share my findings with you all.

In fact, your kids is required to communicate including listerning and talking in English as if a native speaker at year five ( for P1) during the interview. Besides, DON'T say Cantonese even a WORD in the interview.  IF you kid shows that he can understand Cantonese, he will most likely be failure in this interview.

Which passport you held is not considered by te interview board. GOOD ENGLISH is the most most important assessment criterion.

Hope it can help.

bbtung

[ 本帖最後由 bbtung 於 09-2-10 13:36 編輯 ]