用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Path to ESF
查看: 8856|回覆: 28
go

Path to ESF

發表於 09-2-16 19:18 |顯示全部帖子
My son is 14 months old now, and I want him to enter ESF.
To plan his path to ESF, I have two options of nursery/kindergarten: 1. Victoria Int’l Kindergarten (Tin Hou).
2. Tutor Time
多多.
My catchment of ESF is most likely QBS.

Which kinder I should choose?
Please share.
Thank you.

發表於 09-2-16 20:50 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Flower-kid 於 09-2-16 19:18 發表
To plan his path to ESF, I have two options of nursery/kindergarten: 1. Victoria Int’l Kindergarten (Tin Hou).
2. Tutor Time 多多.
My catchme ...

I will suggest Victoria, but these days due to keen competition no one can guarantee........

發表於 09-2-16 22:25 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks popolung.  Why not Tutor Time?  In fact I have no preference on either one (this is my first child, I don't have too much idea about HK education system and schools).  I checked statistics provided by both kindergartens.  Most Victoria kids are accepted by local schools, e.g. Victoria Shanghai Academy, St Paul, .... while most Tutor Time kids got into international schools, like CIS, ESF, ..... But in this forum, hardly any people mentioned Tutor Time.  Would you share why you suggested Victoria than Tutor Time?  Thanks a lot!

發表於 09-2-17 00:01 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Flower-kid 於 09-2-16 22:25 發表
Thanks popolung.  Why not Tutor Time?  In fact I have no preference on either one (this is my first child, I don't have too much idea about HK education system and schools).  I checked statistics prov ...

I have friend who has kids in Victoria got into ESF, and it is also QBS. Yes here people seldom mention Tutor Time, where do you got your statistics from?

發表於 09-2-17 00:05 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Flower-kid 於 09-2-16 22:25 發表
Thanks popolung.  Why not Tutor Time?  In fact I have no preference on either one (this is my first child, I don't have too much idea about HK education system and schools).  I checked statistics prov ...

take a look at this website too:

http://www.geobaby.com/tools/search.php?p=1&q=Tutor+Time

發表於 09-2-17 08:43 |顯示全部帖子
2. Tutor Time 多多.
My catchme ...

If you have to choose one from these two kindergartens, I think Tutor time is better as it is an international kindergarten.
ESF prefer the student study in international kindergarten rather than a local one.  because the priority to enter ESF is to let those who cannot speak Chinese and study in local primary school.  So if your child study in victoria, that means he/she is suitable to study in local primary school.

Also you can have other choices in HK Islands, such as ESF Sheung Wan, Woodlands, Small World Christian, Starters ...etc.

發表於 09-2-17 09:42 |顯示全部帖子
Of course TT as its English environment should be much better than Victoria.

Victoria itself is never an international kinder.  If ESF is your target, I guess it is better to look for a "real" international kinder.

Of course, if you are considering the chance for interview, ESF kinder must be over the others because of the ESF "category" policy.

2. Tutor Time 多多.
My catchme ...
:-D :-D :-D :-D

發表於 09-2-17 11:49 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

I think if int'l school is your ultimate goal, you should choose TT.  A friend of mine, his son switched from Victoria to TT and ultimately was admitted into Canadian International.  
My son is now 16 months old and he is attending TT playgroup at Bremaer Hill.  Half of the time is conducted in English and half of the time is in Mandarin. I talked to the adminstration staff there and they said a majority of their kids went to Int'l schools.  Of which, a large number of them went to CDNIS.  The allocation results is posted in the reception area.
Agreed with momom that if you target ESF, then you should look into ESF Kinder, Woodland, starters and SWCK.  
I went to Woodland at the peak area some time last year.  The school is very small and the setting is very much like a home.  But it is very "Bristish", the teacher, accent, etc. May be you can pay a visit there and see whether it suits your requirement.  The teachers there are very nice.
And one last reminder, both TT and Woodland are on first come first serve basis.  You really have to act fast coz a lot of babies born in 2007 and 08.  Its quite difficult to get a seat.

發表於 09-2-17 13:09 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Flower-kid.
Certainly Tutor Time, if you are very determined about ESF.
If your still struggling, probably Victoria.
Regards,
Maria

2. Tutor Time 多多.
My catchme ...

發表於 09-2-17 13:43 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 502 於 09-2-17 09:42 發表
Of course TT as its English environment should be much better than Victoria.

Victoria itself is never an international kinder.  If ESF is your target, I guess it is better to look for a "real" intern ...

Agree.  You should choose a "real international school".  TT, Woodland, Sunshine House, ESF Kins are your choices instead of Victoria.

發表於 09-2-17 14:32 |顯示全部帖子
Thank you all for your kind advice.  You are all experienced and knowledgeable.

Meipo, is your son going to TT Braemar Hill playgroup now?  How do you find the program there?  Does your son like it?  Are the teachers good?

ESF is our target, but we need to think of "plan B".  Other than ESF, which one should I also consider?

I've also checked out Starters, their fees are much more reasonable than TT's (sorry to say).  Why is TT so expensive (double the Starters')?  Any idea?  

Woodland is out of my choice, because of location.

Thanks again!

發表於 09-2-17 16:49 |顯示全部帖子
I don't know, I guess may be TT has a bigger campus, more qualified teachers (both English and mandarin) and therefore it is more expensive.
But then, I did not rule out Starters.  I've called the school and the lady said I should file my registration in year end.  However, my major concern is that they don't teach Chinese.  So I am still 50/50.  
My son is a quiet boy and he needs a lot of time to warm up.  I found the teachers there are very kind and patient.  The classroom is spacious and he can explore around. And my son enjoys a lot playing at the outdoor playground.  So far, I am very pleased with the school.  But actually this is the first playgroup I have joined.  I don't have other comparison.  May be other playgroups are equally good.

發表於 09-2-17 17:48 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks meipo28.  Oh, I didn't realize that Starters does not have Chinese, then it may not fit my expectation.

What is SWCK?  I can't find them from internet.

Maria, you said if I'm struggling, I may go for Victoria.  What are Victoria good at?

Popolung, the statistics were given by respective kindergarten (from their website).

ESF Kindergarten Sheung Wan, does it require interview for K1?  If no interview for K1, based on what they accept new students?

Thanks a lot....

發表於 09-2-17 19:59 |顯示全部帖子
Here is Small World's website:

http://www.swck.edu.hk/

Small World only has two Mandarin lessons per week and has daily bible teaching.  

Most of the kids in the morning classes go to either international schools or ESF.    I haven't come across any kid that is unable to get ESF interview, but maybe because most of the kids are from HK side.

發表於 09-2-18 08:34 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Flower-kid.

TT & Victoria - my explanation
As of my experience in talking with a lot of parents in HK, they say they decide to pick international schools but along the road, they are indecisive. This leads to children - morning in IS kindergarten, afternoon local school. Rationale of theirs are to have an alternative in picking up local cirriculum eventually (if finally not choosing ESF/ other IS), and in learning Chinese (cantonese basically in kindergartens).
Victoria probably may get you (not the parents BUT the children also) to the normal track easily.
(When I say struggling that means you may switch and not yet decide the path.)
(Proabaly other parents can help you to learn more about V in specific ways)
Of course if you are very determined, go to TT. TT is really considered as an international kindergarten, and ESF would believe the child can hardly follow local school system.

ESF kindergarment - admission:
ESF kindergarten have their admission criteria as per their native language (say it in simple way).
Website to view in details -
http://www.esf.org.hk/esf_kindergarten/admissions/application.htm

......The ESF International Kindergartens are established to provide an enquiry- and play -based education for 3-5 year old boys and girls in the medium of English.
First priority for places will go to those who are from English speaking families or other families whose native language is not Cantonese (category One). Children of families where Cantonese is spoken will be regarded as category Two, and places can be offered to such children should places be available after the category One applicants have been admitted.
Within categories, priority is given to:
  • Siblings of children attending an ESF school, including the ESF Private Independent Schools (Renaissance College and Discovery College) Siblings of children attending an ESF International Kindergarten or returning students of an ESF International Kindergarten
  • Children with a parent who is a full-time employee of ESF or ESF Educational Services Limited
  • Children of former ESF students ......

Starters:
The cirriculum of Starters School has no Chinese element. However they have afternoon class in Mandarin as kind of extra-cirr activity.  It is optional for the children to enroll at a reasonable fee.
$1300 - 2 days a week
$1800 - 3 days a week
The school said some of the children from Small World also attend their Mandarin class.
http://www.starters.edu.hk/admission.htm

ADDITIONAL AFTERNOON CLASSES(Three and Four years old)
a) Learn Through Play - Mon./ Wed./ Fri./ afternoons HK$1800 including stationery/ refreshments
b) Phonics Class - Tuesday/ Thursday afternoons HK$1300 including stationery/ refreshments
c) Mandarin Class- Monday to Friday afternoons$1800 for 3 afternoons
$1300 for 2 afternoons

Kind regards,
Maria

----------------------------------------------------------

原帖由 Flower-kid 於 09-2-17 17:48 發表
Thanks meipo28.  Oh, I didn't realize that Starters does not have Chinese, then it may not fit my expectation.

What is SWCK?  I can't find them from internet.

Maria, you said if I'm struggling, I ma ...

發表於 09-2-18 09:16 |顯示全部帖子
Maria, thanks a lot.  Looks it is extremely difficult for our non-English families to enter ESF.  After all these priorities, it's almost mission-impossible......

Am I determined on IS?  I would say 80%.  The 20% is worrying my son's Chinese language.  I don't want him to become a single language speaker (English), Chinese language and appreciation of Chinese culture are also important for him.  Afterall, we are Chinese.

But it doesn't mean I've ruled out all local schools.  I have my favourable local schools, like DBS, St Paul co-ed.  

May I ask for your opinions.  If we choose TT Kindergarten (or if so lucky ESF Kindergarten), we should be able to switch to local stream and apply DBS, SP Co-ed, etc, at P1?

Thank you and have a good day!

發表於 09-2-18 09:39 |顯示全部帖子
1) Of course you can apply DBSPD, SP Co-ed, etc, at P1 if you choose TT or ESF.  The only concern is whether your child's Chinese level is up to their standard. I would not say impossible but just difficult.

2) I strongly recommend Small World Christian Kindergarten as it is a great  kinder with passionate teachers and staff.  Most (of course not all!) kids go to IS afterwards, namely ESF primary schools, FIS, GSIS, HKIS.

發表於 09-2-18 10:10 |顯示全部帖子
502, I heard a lot of good words about SWCK.  May I know what is their admission policy?  Would it be similar to ESF kinder?  Would it give priority to non Chinese speaking kids?  And do you know is Chinese being taught at school?  How many sessions per week?  Many tks.

原帖由 502 於 09-2-18 09:39 發表
1) Of course you can apply DBSPD, SP Co-ed, etc, at P1 if you choose TT or ESF.  The only concern is whether your child's Chinese level is up to their standard. I would not say impossible but just dif ...

發表於 09-2-18 10:13 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Flower-kid.
I agree to 502's opinion in both questions.

Especially in question 2, SWCK is a child-oriented school. We visited and had talked to the principal.
We eventually not accepting the offer because of the difficulty in going there from our homes.
They start to include Mandarin element in the cirriculum.
You may consider it.

Kind regards,
Maria

原帖由 502 於 09-2-18 09:39 發表
1) Of course you can apply DBSPD, SP Co-ed, etc, at P1 if you choose TT or ESF.  The only concern is whether your child's Chinese level is up to their standard. I would not say impossible but just dif ...

發表於 09-2-18 10:57 |顯示全部帖子
Really minimal Chinese is taught in SWCK.  Frankly speaking, it is not realistic to expect Chinese teaching from an IS.  The so-called daily Mandarin lessons offered by some IS kinder may be good enough for "gwei-lo" but sure not for Chinese families.

I have no idea of SWCK admission policy.  We just applied and got accepted.  Better call them to have further details.

原帖由 meipo28 於 09-2-18 10:10 發表
502, I heard a lot of good words about SWCK.  May I know what is their admission policy?  Would it be similar to ESF kinder?  Would it give priority to non Chinese speaking kids?  And do you know is C ...