密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 幼校討論 KV vs CCKG (No Regret)
發新帖
查看: 20700|回覆: 18
go

KV vs CCKG (No Regret)

發表於 09-3-1 01:34 |顯示全部帖子
When I was searching kindergartens for my 2 sons, I always came here to check the sharing of other mothers which actually helped me a lot.   Therefore, I also want to contribute a bit and share my feeling here.

My sons are studying in KV now (K1 & K2).  On Sept 1 of last year, CCKG suddenly called and offered my son a place. My sister said she would send her daughter to CCKG without any hesitation if they got the offer but I finally declined the offer.  Although CCKG is also a good kindergarten especially if you want your kids to get into DGS or DBS, I didn't regret up to now as:  

KV is a very good kindergarten.  The teachers are very professional.  I really want to take this chance to thank you all the teachers and staff of KV to teach my kids with caring heart and patience.  Within only 3 hours a day, the teachers can magically make the kids to learn and achieve so many things that is incredible.  The most important is they love the school and the teachers so much eventhough I found their homework is bit hard.

It is just my own feeling about this kindergarten and it doen't the other kindergartens are not good.

發表於 09-3-1 13:16 |顯示全部帖子
Thx for sharing
I believe your son's progress have witnessed your right choice!
Is your kid fluent in Eng during the interview? If yes, can u also share how u achieved this in your daily life?

發表於 09-3-2 11:24 |顯示全部帖子
If yours were daughters, would you have made a different decision?
With >70% CCKG girls getting into DGS, I think I would have chosen CCKG.
But since yours are boys, CCKG's advantage may not be quite so significant.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 09-3-2 14:32 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-3-2 11:24 發表
But since yours are boys, CCKG's advantage may not be quite  ...

so, do you mean KV & CCKG shares the similar % of the pupils getting into DBS?

發表於 09-3-2 17:35 |顯示全部帖子
No, I think CCKG still has a high percentage (? 40%)of boys getting into DBS, just nowhere near as high as girls getting into DGS.

原帖由 lyhv 於 09-3-2 14:32 發表

so, do you mean KV & CCKG shares the similar % of the pupils getting into DBS?

發表於 09-3-3 10:17 |顯示全部帖子
Yes, you are right.  My sons can speak fluent English during the interview as my maid and I also communicate with them in English since they were born.  After I lived in England for 10 years, I believe that the English Environment is most important for them to learn English easily.  Also, they will have English Phonics lesson once a week.        

原帖由 mark2006 於 09-3-1 13:16 發表
Thx for sharing
I believe your son's progress have witnessed your right choice!
Is your kid fluent in Eng during the interview? If yes, can u also share how u achieved this in your daily life?

發表於 09-3-3 11:06 |顯示全部帖子
my friend has a similar case, she came back fm overseas and applied K2 for her daughter.  Finally, only CCKG offered a seat as her daughter can speak english only (may understand chinese but not willing to say).  KV, St Cath ...rejected her.

發表於 09-3-3 12:26 |顯示全部帖子
You are right.  If they are girl, I will send them to CCKG.  As I know, only around 50% of boys in CCKG can get into DBS but around 90% of girls can get into DGS.  Also,  DGS seems better than DBS although DBS is also good primary school.

Actually,  there is an additional reason of staying in KV .  As my 2 boys can go to same kindergarten together for 2 years so that they can get close to each other that nothing can be replaced. In my own opinion, good English can't only rely on the school.  For me,  parents are playing more important role because we have more time with them.        

原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-3-2 11:24 發表
But since yours are boys, CCKG's advantage may not be quite  ...

發表於 09-3-4 15:50 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

Dear Sharon 123,
I will apply kindergarten this year for my daughter.  I like KV so much.  I have no doubt to apply KV this year.  But I have one question:  she can only understand English.  I am wondering what is the language the KV interview will use.  Can you help and share with me?

Besides KV, I will also other kindergarten for back-up purpose.  Do you have any idea?  I have St Cat, HKPS, Keenmind in my mind so far.

Thanks so much
Starmami

發表於 09-3-5 02:22 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Starmami,

As I remember, my elder son could only speak English during KV interview although the whole process was conducted in Cantonese so he didn't understand what did the interviewers ask and didn't answer any question until I translated the questions into English after I told the teachers his situation.  Therefore, I think it doesn't really matter and maybe you will get extra credit on this.  

After he went to school, he caught up Cantonese very fast. Especially, I asked my husband start talking to him in Cantonese after we got the acceptance letter from KV.

For choosing another Kindergarten for back up, Victoria at Causeway will be my second choice as they really can provide English and Mandarin environment in the school and the standard is OK.  I knew 2 girls graduated from there and one is very good and another one is OK.  It may depend on the kid's attention and absorption in the class but overall impression is good.

On this point,  I really want to praise KV again.  The teachers in KV will really make every kid remember and understand what they learn in class.  Actually, I find very hard to teach my sons with the same result.  

Hopefully, the info above cab help you.  Good luck!

原帖由 starmami 於 09-3-4 15:50 發表
Dear Sharon 123,
I will apply kindergarten this year for my daughter.  I like KV so much.  I have no doubt to apply KV this year.  But I have one question:  she can only understand English.  I am wond ...

發表於 09-3-5 10:03 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

Thanks Sharon 123 so much for your kind information.  It is really useful to me.  I will explain to the teacher and help translation when we go to the interview.  My plan is also the same with yours.  I will start using more Cantonese at home if she goes to kindergarten.  

I have just finished interview (pre-nursery) at Causeway Bay Victoria last Sat as I also understand it is a good school.  If my girl is lucky enough to get acceptance, she at least has higher chance to get access into its kindergarten.  I am currently waiting for the result.  But anyway, Kentville is still my first choice among all other kindergarten.  Thanks again Sharon 123 for your sharing.

By the way, would you mind sending me your personal contact say email so that I can communicate with you just in case I can't find you here on BK?  If you are fine, I will pm mine to you also.

[ 本帖最後由 starmami 於 09-3-5 12:15 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-5 16:49 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Starmami,

Good Idea!  Please check your pm.  

Cheers
Sharon.123

原帖由 starmami 於 09-3-5 10:03 發表
Thanks Sharon 123 so much for your kind information.  It is really useful to me.  I will explain to the teacher and help translation when we go to the interview.  My plan is also the same with yours.  ...

發表於 09-7-19 09:43 |顯示全部帖子
Sharon,

Many comments say KV is very good at Chinese and Math.  However, I heard there is no native english teacher in KV.  Is it true?  Is the english lessons all conducted by chinese teacher?  How do u find their English and Mandarin education?

原帖由 Sharon.123 於 09-3-1 01:34 發表
When I was searching kindergartens for my 2 sons, I always came here to check the sharing of other mothers which actually helped me a lot.   Therefore, I also want to contribute a bit and share my fee ...

發表於 09-7-23 13:03 |顯示全部帖子
Dear ckawing2,

Yes, you are right.  They haven't got any native English Teacher in KV and all English Lessons are conducted by Chinese Teacher.  As I know, they have Mandarin lesson once a week from K2.

I found their English standard is OK for me.  My elder son will go to K3 this coming September and he can spell around 60 words.  He can write simple sentence like "It Is a doll." "This is a lion."   

For Mandarin, you can't expect too much with only one lesson per week. Therefore, I started using Cantonese and Mandarin to read story books with him this summer.

發表於 09-8-2 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Sharon 123,
You mentiond your sons have phonics class once a week.  Can you pm me the course information?  I wanna to arrange my son to attend phonics class too.

Thanks!

發表於 09-8-3 18:00 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Sharon,

My son is now 2 years old and he is not shy in front of strangers.  One problem is that he will not speak easily if his mood is not good.  I know that the teacher will expect the bb will sing a song during the interview, is that true??  I like very much this school but I find it is not easy to enter it especially my  son is small bb (born in August).  Can you give me some advice.

elbb

原帖由 Sharon.123 於 09-3-1 01:34 發表
When I was searching kindergartens for my 2 sons, I always came here to check the sharing of other mothers which actually helped me a lot.   Therefore, I also want to contribute a bit and share my fee ...

發表於 09-8-9 01:03 |顯示全部帖子
We have a private tutor to teach my son's phonics so he didn't attend any class.

原帖由 bunny_mama 於 09-8-2 11:44 發表
Hi Sharon 123,
You mentiond your sons have phonics class once a week.  Can you pm me the course information?  I wanna to arrange my son to attend phonics class too.

Thanks!

發表於 09-8-9 01:07 |顯示全部帖子
As I remember, the teacher didn't ask my son to sing any song.  Actually, my son was so shy also when he attended the interview.  Just try your best and don't worry too much.

原帖由 elbb 於 09-8-3 18:00 發表
Hi Sharon,

My son is now 2 years old and he is not shy in front of strangers.  One problem is that he will not speak easily if his mood is not good.  I know that the teacher will expect the bb will s ...

發表於 09-8-14 17:36 |顯示全部帖子
I left you my email by pm.  I would like to ask you some more questions about KV.  Do you mind to email me your contact?  Thanks a lot.

elbb

原帖由 Sharon.123 於 09-8-9 01:07 發表
As I remember, the teacher didn't ask my son to sing any song.  Actually, my son was so shy also when he attended the interview.  Just try your best and don't worry too much.