密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 九龍塘宣道小學 violin class
發新帖
查看: 1830|回覆: 5
go

violin class

發表於 09-3-6 11:11 |顯示全部帖子
I think you have to think twice before you started the violin class with the violin instructor from APS.

His qualification didn’t worth to charge so high(325 /30 mins; 500/45 mins, & 650/hr). Pls be adv. that that he’s only a graduate from APA.
He isn’t a violinist in any orchestra or affiliate to any organization.
Plus APS fail the interschool competition under his conducting for many years.

Hisgeneral reputation is no good, just listen to the parents of the old boys & girls from APS or goto any private music company (i once got to Yamatei – Yuet Wah to buy a bow for my child, the lady ask me who is the teacher and i reply.  Everyone ask me to change and they give tones of reasons and comment ).
Or even other instructors, you will hear the judgement from those in this discipline.  

What i mainly concern is
He didn’t really concern about his student, he never have a plan for his student.. Every class and year are heading nowhere…

ir ead a comment said most of the student who won in HKSMSA or get good marks from ABSRM were all having a private teacher or APA and i agree this is true(of course he don’t know, but this is all known by the most of the parents),,Our experience is if you choose him to be your child's teacher, you either know music or have a private tutor to look after your child.  I only knew to hire another teacher after i share my frustration with parents from upper form or graduate.  Now i experience the differences.  a voluteer parent told me that she heard the instructor had boost to the principal about how many student won the music festival.  

The latest news are most of his student failed the ABSRM exam last year. Do you want to know why?
Actually some parents are angry because he didn’t try his best to help the student to prepare the exam.
How could a violin teacher not bring his violin to most of the class?
Besides, I think I know why...
Every class just go by nothing, sometime play the competition pc, sometimes lay the orchestra pc… Talking about any exam or competition, my experience is he will just help you to choose 3 pieces and force you to study yourself (how could a primary student study the pcs by herself?)
He will revise it with you during class but always very easy to get angry, shouted, yelled and compare your chlld with others (said xx could play well with this pc within 1 week, how come you can’t…). At the very end, he will ask you to book a time with his friend as pianist so the lady will revise the pcs and other with you.
My girl was always under fear and extremely depressed and she always wanted to quit

But why the student becomes his 1 to 1 students? Or still his student, it was because of pressure;

a.
Do you know how he teaches in group?
Yelled to the student, especially those without parents’ accompany.
Many of student failed to continue because they can’t stand this kind of teaching method (very different than the teachers from APS, they are kind and caring)
If your child has his/her own violin teacher already, of course you will have a lot of difficult words to listen during the class.
We are those who thought he will be nicer when 1 to 1…

b.
Due to convenience, no need to travel after class or he knows what to prepare for the school exam. And hope that the student will get good marks in your report card.

c.
He is the conductor of school, we think it’s easy to get in or sit in a good position in the orchestra…

According to my girl, his conducting method is to yell and to angry. Especially to those who play in the ball team.
Practically to a the boy, he have great bias on them.
My girl also participates in a well known youth orchestra.
She told me that the conductor is serious but nice.
The conductor will guide them to learn and to know how to play and understand the sheet music.
Here in APS, he only force them to play the music, and must be well.
Until now, she doesn’t understand the meaning or the music at all.
She called herself a robot in the orchestra .
All she know is she will be scared because the door will close if she is late, the conductor will yelled if you make a mistake, or if he “choose” to be angry with you, you will be moved to the back of your team.
And you will be kicked out from the orchestra.
Therefore, some of her schoolmate rather stayed in junior or immediate orchestra in order to play safe.

As I can’t sit in every class, I am much worry that he will cross with my girl (as I could see this happen to other student)
On the other hand, I have to convince my girl to stay until she get into a secondary school.
Frankly,
I am also sending her to a private teacher in order to have a proper training.
After we started with other teacher, I start to understand my girl can improve so much…

Besides the above, I always have some question in mind:

I know that some parents had compliant that He is so rude and discouraging to the students but how come the school still keep him?

He is using the classroom to teach the students from other school, some are graduate of APS, some are relatives of the APS students.  He is using the facilities of shcool which we paid.  Did he report to school how many student he is currently teaching, and paying tax?
I heard that he refuse to receive any form of payment except cash, is it the way to avoid paying tax.
As a Christian school, is it proper?
Did the school know?

He teaches student at school after school hours, will the insurance cover?

The school orchestra have fail for so many times.
In the past,APS won in the past because of not much competitors.
Now other school , like DBS, ST, Pauls, CCC is picking up because they hire very good conductor.
And my friend , who are a musician accompany me to watch the HKSMSA last year told me that APS orchestra made quite some mistakes for the pcs they played.
They played well as a whole, but not the details.
She also comment on the conducting …

Sorry for the long message but this is all from the bottom of my heart, I just want the newcomers think carefully before you make the decision.
Otherwise, you may need to follow my footstep.
(Wanted to quit but scare that he will have bias on my girl in school work or orchestra)
Good luck and hope you find a good teacher.

發表於 09-3-6 12:08 |顯示全部帖子
Way to go! Alenmao.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience here with all the parents and students who are frustrated with the music instrument teacher, and yet cannot quit now due to the school system.  I wonder how we gonna reflect this situation to the school without being black-listed.  This is a serious problem.  It affects young age student to learn and the negative effects can be serious.  Any parents in the higher grade can offer any advise or comments?  Thanks!

原帖由 alenmao 於 09-3-6 11:11 發表
I think you have to think twice before you started the violin class with the violin instructor from APS.

His qualification didn’t worth to charge so high(325 /30 mins; 500/45 mins, & 650/hr).  ...

發表於 09-3-11 10:12 |顯示全部帖子
What i heard in the past was a mother reflected her comment and her child was suffered by some reason.  Later she withdraw her child.  

Although i think APS is a very good school,  I think it's quite hard to voice out without any consequence because human is human.  

As parents, we are all here to love and protect them.  And this is why i shared my experience here, my opinion may not be right because some parent may have different thought.  As mentioned in other mail, my girl is not happy maybe she is not smart enough or maybe we cannot help her/ understand the lesson.  I don't know, other think the instructor is good maybe because their child are music kid or they can help their child.  

Anyway, i am glad that i can we share our experience with other parents in different occasion and also here at the forum.  I wish all of you are well and your kid will enjoy their music from good and responsible instructor.

原帖由 thkids 於 09-3-6 12:08 發表
Way to go! Alenmao.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience here with all the parents and students who are frustrated with the music instrument teacher, and yet cannot quit now due to the  ...

發表於 09-3-11 11:31 |顯示全部帖子
I want to thank you again for taking time to share your experience.  It does give us a signal/warning when choosing a private teacher for our kids.   Sometimes, things do not look fair in this world, but we have to have faith in God.  God always leads us in the right path.   I wish your girl the best in everything in her new school.  Afterall, the learning process is more important than the end result.  Kids and parents too need to have the right attitude in learning to make learning enjoyable and fun.   

原帖由 alenmao 於 09-3-11 10:12 發表
What i heard in the past was a mother reflected her comment and her child was suffered by some reason.  Later she withdraw her child.  

Although i think APS is a very good school,  I think it's quite ...

發表於 09-3-31 22:46 |顯示全部帖子
Dear All

It is a time for all of APS parents to think that the school has provide what kind of channel for us to reflect our opinion about the school.

APS hasn't Parent-teacher-association so we need more chance to voice out our feeling. Is there any official outlet provided by the school. Can the management of the school can consider it deeply!

發表於 09-9-3 10:06 |顯示全部帖子
請問教得差的小提琴老師姓乜?今年還在宣小教嗎?