用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 How to enhance Cantonese for International School st ...
發新帖
查看: 1886|回覆: 5
go

How to enhance Cantonese for International School student? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-3-6 22:24 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
We decided to take international stream for our son start from pre-reception, I personally want him to communicate with me in Cantonese in future but most of the cases I heard was student from International schoole will only response in English even you speak Cantonese to him.

Anyone can share your experience and ways or where to enhance Cantonese capability? Thanks
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-3-7 13:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 BearbieII 於 09-3-6 22:24 發表
We decided to take international stream for our son start from pre-reception, I personally want him to communicate with me in Cantonese in future but most of the cases I heard was student from Interna ...

Speak to your kid in Cantonese only after he/she joined primary.  If your kid responses in English, please show him/her how to express in Cantonese and encourage him/her to response in Cantonese instead.

3#
發表於 09-3-8 00:10 |只看該作者
We have adopted one parent one language method, I speak Cantonese since he was born and Daddy speaks in English.  However, I still worry about his capability in cantonese because (1) he is mostly (70%) response in English at present (2) English will be the only language to be used in school (3) they will reluctant to speak in cantonese because they speak English in school.

So, it is that's why I want to know the experience from other parents who has good case to share and let me know any way to enforce the cantonese, except to hire a cantonese tutor.  FYI. I am a full-time mom so I only have 1 hr a day to communicate with my son who is now aged 2.

4#
發表於 09-3-8 21:57 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

My experience was we (me and my husband) started speaking to my son all in Cantonese after he started kindy. It was a bit difficult at the beginning, but then with persistence, it's ok. He's P.4 now & fluent in Cantonese. Also, we let him join after school activities using Cantonese as medium of communications, of course except Mandarin and German. I doubt if it's good to adopt one language per parent policy. First I think unless your husband is really native in English, it's not good for him to communicate with your son with English. And, what if you three have discussions together when your son grows older ?

Just my 2 cents.

Ruby

5#
發表於 09-3-9 14:15 |只看該作者
My kids were not born in Hong Kong and English has always been their first language. However, at home, they are allowed to speak whatever they want. Although I encourage them to speak more Cantonese, I never wanted to make it a rule that there should be no English at home. However, I am not too worried whether they understand. Kids are smart and they do understand.
If my kids are able to understand or speak some Cantonese, I do not understand why a Hong Kong born kid, living in Hong Kong cannot.

There is no real need for you and your husband to purposely use only Cantonese or only English to communicate with your child. Remember that you are his parents and not his Cantonese or English tutor. When one communicate with his parents or children, one should be using the language that they feel comfortable with or that express themselves best.
If you are talking about enhancing his Cantonese ability, you might want to spare, say, 15-30 min a day for Cantonese story time. Other times, I think you (parents and child) should be allowed to speak whatever you want.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-3-9 14:27 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 09-3-11 00:20 |只看該作者
Thanks to both of your advice.
In fact, why my hubby speaking in English  to him is to prepare for the interview, I would prefer the whole family switch back to Cantonese after getting the school issue settled.

I observed that his cantonese capability is picking up lately, but he's just more ready to response in English. I think kid learn fast, they will pick up any language expose to them more.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題