用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 升中派位 King's College vs St. Stephen
查看: 3836|回覆: 26
go

King's College vs St. Stephen

發表於 09-3-20 15:29 |顯示全部帖子
I would appreciate if any of member can help to rank these schools in terms of academic standard only.

1. King's College
2. St Stephen College
3. Raimondi College

For Example: 1>2>3 means King's is the best

Many Thanks.

[ 本帖最後由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-21 19:13 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-21 19:11 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

Please help. I need to decide whether to give up St Stephen's offer and wait for the discretionary placement/lucky draw.

Is King's college better than St. Stephen College ?

[ 本帖最後由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-21 19:21 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-21 20:50 |顯示全部帖子
I think so.

發表於 09-3-21 22:46 |顯示全部帖子
st. stephen college is a band 2 school. Kings is better than ssc.

發表於 09-3-21 23:34 |顯示全部帖子
King's(呀仔讀緊)>Raimondi(老死個仔)>SSC(我的母校)

原帖由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-20 15:29 發表
I would appreciate if any of member can help to rank these schools in terms of academic standard only.

1. King's College
2. St Stephen College
3. Raimondi College

For Example: 1>2>3 means King's is ...

發表於 09-3-21 23:54 |顯示全部帖子
My opinion : 1>2&3

發表於 09-3-22 11:27 |顯示全部帖子
2: worst

發表於 09-3-22 13:32 |顯示全部帖子
感覺你有點自尋煩惱,既然你的兒子是band 1生為何放棄這個機會。若果派位不理想相信你叩門你的小學附屬中學一定會優先取錄你兒,難道他們會放棄你這band 1生嗎?以我所知Ramondi去年叩門都收很多band 2 生。加上St Stephen已不是什麼band 1名中學何必繳付昂貴的學費和遙遠的路程,值得嗎?放且中西區的band 1quota 是足夠的不要放棄。

原帖由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-21 19:11 發表
Please help. I need to decide whether to give up St Stephen's offer and wait for the discretionary placement/lucky draw.

Is King's college better than St. Stephen College ?

發表於 09-3-22 15:29 |顯示全部帖子
I think you have such a worry because you knew quite well that St. Stephen has had a great transformation from a subsidized school to a DSS. It has a completely new curricula and a new crew of faculty. The types of students it accepts are also quite different from the past. Of course, money is a concern.

So, previous records may not be reliable. It depends on how much confidence you have on traditional famous schools and how much you know about what qualities and abilities college graduates should have in the future competitive market.

But, remember, students study in SSCPS is NOT because they are not smart enough for those famous schools.

發表於 09-3-22 17:09 |顯示全部帖子
Thank you all for your valuable input.

I know it is not straight forward and as they say in the financial markets, past history is not an indication of future trends.

My wife supports St. Stephens because she is not from Hong Kong and is not convinced that having 8 A's is a measurement for future success. Whether in career or personal life. She works in a multinational company and witnessed that those who got good career prospects are those who can communicate and network well and not those who spend long hours in the office to meet deadlines and deliver great quality work.

My understanding of famous schools are those that have the highest percentage of pass rate and number of A's. This is important to get to the next level - great University, which naturally means better entry level job prospects. Schools like King's and St. Joseph have strong history of achieving this.

If we are looking for the former, ie. more well rounded development, we are assuming that St Stephen's will provide this better than the traditional school. Is this a valid assumption? Does anyone have first hand experience with St Stephen's (in the new model) to help us conclude that St Stephen's can develop my son's social skills, English and mandarin communication ability and presentation skills better than the traditional school. We can supplement academic achievement through learning centres. I understanding that famous traditional schools' students spend loads of time in learning centres to get their A's anyway.

Looking forward 10 years. What will the world be like and what assets do graduates need to have to compete in the changing world of globalisation and China superiority?

發表於 09-3-22 19:23 |顯示全部帖子
Hi Kids-kingdom,
From your posting, I believe you have already got a very clear insight/vision for your kid's education. So, the next step is whether St. Stephen or any other schools are suitable for your kid.

St. Stepthen's "transformation" is still quite new. I learnt that ~ 90% of SSCPS's graduates last year chose SSC (the first year of DDS mode).

It seems that there are not many schools of its kind. DBS and St. Paul Co-ed will be other good alternatives. The main drawback for most international schools is their Chinese Curriculum.

[ 本帖最後由 ssspwong 於 09-3-22 19:28 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-22 19:35 |顯示全部帖子
U better compare HKUGA College with ST stephen college. They are dancing in the same party.  Traditional elite achool can also nuture all-rounded students but without unlimited resourse (i.e. money) only.

Unless, such DSS  can further transform into an international school mode. When time past, they may be in shortage of funding. And then, school education becomes a business. Of course, it should not be worst than HSBC

Not only SPCC student need to pay effort to strive for academic excellence, DBS students too. In fact all top student are willing to do that.

[ 本帖最後由 cman_li 於 09-3-22 19:46 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-22 22:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 paco88 於 09-3-21 22:46 發表
st. stephen college is a band 2 school. Kings is better than ssc.

I don't agree with the st. stephen college is a band 2 school. in fact, many of their students 多數到外國升學而不會參與香港的會考.

[ 本帖最後由 pcjoemama 於 09-3-22 22:39 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-23 09:40 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 pcjoemama 於 09-3-22 22:37 發表

I don't agree with the st. stephen college is a band 2 school. in fact, many of their students 多數到外國升學而不會參與香港的會考.

我同意, 雖然ssc唔算勁, 不過都未去到band2既. 係band1尾到啦, 而且有好多學生讀讀下會唔讀, 會出外國讀書, 因為有錢人既都有幾多(講既係真係好有錢果d), 如果計學術就唔算好, 不過計地方環境/ 學生行為等都都幾好. 同埋有好多人都覺得地點"格涉", 所以唔考慮姐.
不過想比King's, 我都會揀King's先(Raimondi唔清楚).

PS : 我大仔係SSC讀緊F.4.

發表於 09-3-23 21:07 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Little Kidult

Thank you for your input.

I am interested to know your son's experience with SSC in these 4 years. What are the good points and the bad points. If you were to chose again knowing what you know now, will you still chose SSC?

Do you see any difference after they have changed to DSS?

原帖由 pcjoemama 於 09-3-22 22:37 發表

發表於 09-3-23 22:57 |顯示全部帖子
Dear good father,

The decision is not easy as ideally there should be a school that is excellent for our kids to develop both academic and social skills. However, the two school you mentioned seem not the most ideal (yet).

However, if you can anwser the question of "whether I plan for my kid to enter a top local university or some university in UK, US or other countries when he graduats from high school in 6 years?", the decision might become easier.  Say for example if you wish your kid to study medicine/business/law in HKU or CU, then choose a school that will help him to get more "A's" (i.e. Kings at the moment); but if you are planning to send him elsewhere, the "A's" seems not as important (don't get me wrong, grades are of importance but just not as important comparing to attending university locally), social skills/networking would be more of the focus and hence SSC would be a preferred choice.

So, in my opinion,
locally university --> kings
university oversea --> SSC

My boy also got accepted to SSC but as I may want him to study in HK for his first degree, I am waiting for traditional school's offer at this point.

Hope it helps.

Blessings,

原帖由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-22 17:09 發表
Thank you all for your valuable input.

I know it is not straight forward and as they say in the financial markets, past history is not an indication of future trends.

My wife supports St. Stephens  ...

發表於 09-3-24 07:48 |顯示全部帖子
Dear OnEarth,

Thanks for sharing your idea.  Initially, we were  inclined to enroll in traditional schools but now it's the other way around.

After speaking to a number of parents and graduates of these schools. We think that the most important element offered by traditional elite schools is the study/learning atmosphere leading to peer pressure and thus higher grades. I heard that St Joseph and King's both have only 1 elite class. In St Joseph, students will be re-assess whether they can stay in the elite class every 1/2 year. ...

With regard the number of As, I think the learning centre played an important role. Most students in these schools are enrolled in well known learning/tutorial schools to increase the chances of getting As or Bs.

This is what we are thinking now. Compared to traditional schools, St Stephen can offer small class teaching, split class for English and Chinese depending on student standard  (20+ per class ). NET teacher for English lessons and Mandarin for Chinese. To achieve the A's, this can be supplemented by learning centres, which is no different than when studying in traditional schools.

With regard to university, we are open to both local and overseas.

Just some idea for brainstorming. Hope to hear from you again.

原帖由 OnEarth 於 09-3-23 22:57 發表
Dear good father,

The decision is not easy as ideally there should be a school that is excellent for our kids to develop both academic and social skills. However, the two school you mentioned seem n ...

發表於 09-3-24 09:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-24 07:48 發表
Dear OnEarth,

Thanks for sharing your idea.  Initially, we were  inclined to enroll in traditional schools but now it's the other way around.

After speaking to a number of parents and graduates of t ...

Why not choose St Paul's boy?

發表於 09-3-24 09:26 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cman_li 於 09-3-24 09:18 發表

Why not choose St Paul's boy?

St Paul's boy is DSS but result will only be announced together wth other traditional schools in July through the gov't system.

發表於 09-3-24 09:34 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kids-kingdom 於 09-3-23 21:07 發表
Dear Little Kidult

Thank you for your input.

I am interested to know your son's experience with SSC in these 4 years. What are the good points and the bad points. If you were to chose again knowing  ...

Hi kids-kingdom,

當年其實佢老師都有建議佢考King's, 但係基於其他理由所以冇報(因為當年只有一個選擇). 我地兩又住係南區, 呢區冇乜英中可選, 同埋ssc地方遍遠, 附近又冇乜誘惑(7-eleven, 機鋪, k-場等), 空氣又清新地方又大, 個仔睇過都好鐘意, 所以就揀ssc.
ssc主要冇乜功課, 程度唔深, 係間唔中有d小測咁, 有精英班, 不過唔會話半年轉一次咁, 而係一年一次. 據聞轉DSS係有心攪翻好d成績. 至於今年既F.1, 我個仔話同以前相比比較唔守規矩, 冇乜禮貌等....
如果有得再揀, 好大成數都會揀翻ssc, 因為我地揀校唔係只揀成績. 如果可以揀多間, 我諗我地會試sjc.