搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Problem in taking IB
發新帖
查看: 4414|回覆: 5
go

Problem in taking IB

發表於 09-8-23 23:58 |顯示全部帖子
the following link was provided by a BK parent:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6735896.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

good to know more.

發表於 09-8-25 09:29 |顯示全部帖子
This is  my concern as well. Most HK chinese kids particular boys are good in Maths but only have average skills in eassy writing/ projects/ presentation.(those from ESF or IS  are still have a gap when compare to native spreaker - of course there are exceptional good one)  This will be an disadvanatge for them as they cannot get high score in IB system (39+ points). FYI, 39 points is the entry requirement for Tier 1 Uni in UK. Oxbridge takes in student on average of 43 points.

e.g. if maths is good, it is easy for a science student to to get 3As or 4As in Maths, Advance Maths, Physics and Chemistry which are ready to get in Tier 1 universities in UK such as Imperial College, LSE.etc.

原帖由 mattsmum 於 09-8-23 23:58 發表
the following link was provided by a BK parent:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6735896.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

good to know more.

[ 本帖最後由 matthewdad 於 09-8-25 09:30 編輯 ]

發表於 09-8-25 15:43 |顯示全部帖子
It is very interesting.  Two points I got:

1. IB Diploma is not easy as someone expects.  Good GCSE results have not guarantee for good IB Diploma results, probaby different assessment approaches.

2. Although there is official conversion score between AL and IB score, different universities will have their own policy.  

As a parent, though it is still too long way to go for me while my daughter is just P3 student, I think several things should be borne in mind:

1. Good family support to kid's learning process, though I am not familiar with IB Diploma either.  
2. Good further education counselling is important, don't go for those universities which are not friendly to IB students.
3. We can't do anything here but just urge the school and the IB Diploma to do more work to gain recognition.

發表於 09-8-26 13:30 |顯示全部帖子
Very fundamental, it depends on what is your intention. Whether you and your kids just want to enter those top U's for showing off or did learn some interested subjects. In the past, we all got A's in the GCE A level, then what? I would say we can just earn a living without interested in our jobs. Maybe continuing in GCE can score a better result and enter those U's but loss lots of judgment sense. Back a step, will you think our kids are more hardwork and smart than the majority China kid? It means if they also take the GCE A level exam, where is our kids advantage? We can only win them by our global view, (ie. know everything in all aspect, just kidding) I would say it is the main theme of introducing the education reform (but it just a tiny step in comparing the width of IB system). I am not to say IB is everything, it just a different examination framework to suit what I want but surely entering those top U's are just the side product of learning.

發表於 09-8-27 09:31 |顯示全部帖子
I agreed that we have to face it as it is the trend but ...
1) get in famous Uni=> easy to get in good graduate school => easier to get jobs in big corporate & also easier to have good peer to support if doing business. This is the first step of sucessful and earn big $$$. (nothing deal with show off)
2) When I met my classmate, we were still enjoy the good old days school life. Play hard from F.1-F4 and F6 only study hard on F5 & F7. The beauty of exam system is only required "short time" to prepare & get "A"s and have plenty of time to enjoy the school life. ( I really enjoy the primary and secondary school life)
3) IB ystem seems better than "exam system"  but it is quite demanding and no time to play hard and enjoy the school life.

[ 本帖最後由 matthewdad 於 09-8-27 09:33 編輯 ]

發表於 09-8-27 14:43 |顯示全部帖子
The problem you quoted is mainly in the UK. There is no disadvantage for IB students in the US or Canada.

I think that secondary school education is extremely important when students are "trained" to prepare for education ahead of them. The IB MYP program is extremely demanding, not in terms of the content of the curriculum but in terms of the expectations. MYP is a mini version of the university education. Students spend 5 years in an MYP program to be trained to do things they would one day be doing in university. In fact, those with children in PYP program would be able to tell you that primary kids in an IB school ARE already being trained to do projects, presentations, etc independently. I stress that these are done really independently, and not like the project works in local elites schools where the final product are well polished/finished by parents/tutors.

By the time students are in IBD, they ARE already well prepared for tertiary education. In fact, the 2 IBD years are just like university school life.

When children are in primary or secondary school, we do not merely want them to learn the knowledge or to ace a public exam. We want them to start to prepare themselves for things ahead of them.

Oh, BTW, IB is demanding, but they want you to have fun too. As far as I see, except those nerdy kids who would not want to get outside the library anyway, most students have their own fun life. A lot of the students in my children's school are in sports teams and/or are good at music.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-8-27 17:24 編輯 ]