Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

6#
發表於 09-7-18 09:51 |只看該作者
原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-7-17 14:11 發表
聽講小部份Singerpore International School 學生完成小學後,會轉讀本地中學。其他國際學校學生較少轉讀本地中學。

The curriculum of SIS is very good.
They have good standand in all areas including Chinese.

On the other hand, I think those ESF (SJS being one of ESF schools) students are really very behind in all areas, in particular Chinese. Even if you are considering taking the French stream (many local elite secondary schools offer French too and students can take French instead of Chinese) in local secondary school, you will be very behind in other subjects. In fact, ESF has the lowest standard amongst all international schools.

If you are considering international school + local school path, you need to choose anything other than ESF.

7#
發表於 09-7-18 20:40 |只看該作者
請勿將你的子女當作實驗品......無$繼續另作別論...............

8#
發表於 09-7-18 21:35 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

9#
發表於 09-7-18 22:09 |只看該作者
原帖由 awah112 於 09-7-18 21:35 發表
中文一定追唔上。

除咗英文,大部份科都會追唔上,D terms 同教法轉咗中文,teaching method 亦完全唔一樣,冇得愽!

10#
發表於 09-7-18 22:24 |只看該作者
Agree.  I think it is similar as local chinese primary school promote to international secondary school.

原帖由 popolung 於 09-7-18 22:09 發表

除咗英文,大部份科都會追唔上,D terms 同教法轉咗中文,teaching method 亦完全唔一樣,冇得愽!

11#
發表於 09-7-19 11:48 |只看該作者
I want to add that a student might "追唔上" NOT because international schools are "slower" or "behind" local school academically. But that there will be problems with getting used to the language of instructions, teaching method, and the general culture around the school.
I must stress that international schools are quite advanced in certain ways academically and should not be considered not as competitive academically.

But certainly it will be hard for students to switch from an international school to a local school. All international schools have English environment and the general school culture is very western. Local schools have very local Chinese environment and they have very local Cantonese culture. Even though those local elite schools are teaching in English, the whole school culture is still local.
A student that have grown up or brought up under western culture might find it difficult to fit in.
So this is probably a fit-in problem, and not exactly merely language or academic problem.

Having said that, students usually have less fit-in problems when switchging from local schools to international schools because international schools are much more well prepared for students from other curriculum. International schools students are also less hostile and more friendly towards new students.

12#
發表於 09-7-20 11:44 |只看該作者
Depends on what local chinese primary school you are talking about.
Many elite local school kids switch to international schools or go abroad between F1 & F3, and they don't have too much problem settling in.
From local to international is certainly a lot easier than from international to local!

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-7-18 22:24 發表
Agree.  I think it is similar as local chinese primary school promote to international secondary school. :sickmilk:

13#
發表於 09-7-20 13:15 |只看該作者
I would NEVER consider doing this.

Primary school- local ok.
Secondary School- then int'l is ok.

Why would you consider this ?

14#
發表於 09-7-20 13:24 |只看該作者
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-7-20 11:44 發表
Depends on what local chinese primary school you are talking about.
Many elite local school kids switch to international schools or go abroad between F1 & F3, and they don't have too much problem sett ...

Not depends on which school, but rather depends on the personality of the student.

I personally know someone from DXS that got into an international school and had huge problem fitting socially and academically. There was another case (a more remote friend's child) where a top student from a local elite boy's school who got very outstanding results at HKCEE that had problem fitting in academically with an international school running IBD program.

The former student (and parents) did not want to admit the problems and the kid suffered 3 years before transferring to a high school in England.
The latter student and parents were more open with facing the problem and quick in making a decision and switched the guy back to local school stream after a few months; and eventually got very good results in the local A-level.

It is hard to generalise and not everyone is willing to admit and tell others the problems they have at school. So parents need to prepare for the worst.

15#
發表於 09-7-20 14:13 |只看該作者
In whatever situations, there are always going to be examples of failure or success.
But over the years, I've seen & known many local school kids who went to boarding schools in the UK & flourished.
Got to admit that I don't know too many who switched to international schools in Hong Kong as that is only a fairly recent trend.
But I don't suppose those who managed to flourish at Eton & Harrow would have had problems at GSIS & CIS!
But you are quite right that personality is important as the kids need to be able to fit in.
And you have also brought out a point that IBD might not be suitable for everyone.
All the more reason for us parents to find what is most suitable for our own kids.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-7-20 13:24 發表

Not depends on which school, but rather depends on the personality of the student.

I personally know someone from DXS that got into an international school and had huge problem fitting socially and ...

16#
發表於 09-7-21 12:22 |只看該作者
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-7-20 14:13 發表
In whatever situations, there are always going to be examples of failure or success.

That was exactly what I wanted to point out.
I have also seen so many local school students that ended up with nothing after a few years overseas.
So it is too dangerous to generalise that local school students have no problems fitting in. This is all I was trying to say.

17#
發表於 09-7-21 12:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-7-20 14:13 發表
But I don't suppose those who managed to flourish at Eton & Harrow would have had problems at GSIS & CIS!

I totaly agree. But how many of those local schools students have the quality to go to these schools? It is quite dangerous to pick a couple of examples for the sake of proofing yourself.
Honestly, we all know better that many are probably not doing exactly well and only managed to get a place in "very average" schools overseas. I would doubt whether those students would even any chance with GSIS, CIS at all.
Thus, I am sticking to my views. Do not generalise. Whether from local school to international school, or vice versa, there would be bumps that students need to face.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-7-21 12:52 編輯 ]

18#
發表於 09-7-22 09:10 |只看該作者
Actually, quite a few.
Most of the top schools in the UK take in elite local school students every year, obviously some more than others.
I know for a fact that there are girls from DGS, St Paul Coed, Maryknoll & St Stephen Girls' currently studying at Cheltenham Ladies' and boys from Wah Yan & La Salle studying at Harrow.
There are others that I know who are studying at Winchester, Badminton, Tonbridge.....etc.
I am certainly not giving just one or two examples.
Going from local school to UK boarding school has been a tried & trusted route over the last 30 years.
I went through that route personally, as did many of my friends, and now most of their kids.
When I first went to the UK in my early teens, I couldn't speak fluent English like the local English kids, but I sure could write better than a lot of them.
Being in an environment where I have to use English daily, it took no time at all for me to be able to talk to & argue with the best of them.
My friends' experiences have been similar.
What I want to say is that for elite local school kids to switch to a UK boarding school, language is not a problem (at least not for long).
In fact, most of their parents will not even give that a thought, let alone worry about it.
Out of the thousands of kids who studied abroad over the last 30 years, of course there have been many failures.
But I do think that failure is more likely due to difficulty in making adjustments, ie personality probelm.
That's why I agreed with you that personality is important & parents need to figure out whether their child is suitable.
I never said that local school kids have no problem at boarding school, but most manage to overcome their problems.
From my own experience & from what I've come across (I've spent the good part of two decades in the UK), my views are mostly positive.
You'll probably say that I am generalising again, but isn't this topic a general topic?

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-7-21 12:35 發表

I totaly agree. But how many of those local schools students have the quality to go to these schools? It is quite dangerous to pick a couple of examples for the sake of proofing yourself.
Honestly, ...

[ 本帖最後由 mow-mow 於 09-7-22 09:20 編輯 ]

19#
發表於 09-7-22 10:26 |只看該作者
In respond to the original question of this topic, I know a few ESF students that due to financial reasons chose to study in a local English DSS which offers foreign students and local students classes.  In secondary schools, most subjects are taught in English, these students don't have much problem to fit in, they likely have problems in Chinese subjects and fitting in the local school culture.

In fact, IS students graduated from UK system IS are at least one year younger than local P.6 students as they start year 1 at 4 to 5 years old and graduate from year 6 at 10 or 11 years old, which equivalent to P.5 local students.  That's why people always said that they are "lacking behind".

For SIS, ICS or ICAS etc. which follows similar age system as the local system, there will be no one year gap problem from primary to secondary.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-7-22 10:33 編輯 ]

20#
發表於 09-7-22 10:51 |只看該作者
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-7-22 09:10 發表
Actually, quite a few.
Most of the top schools in the UK take in elite local school students every year, obviously some more than others.

mow-mow,

You seemed to have misunderstood me.
I was trying to say that it is not possible to be so sure that local school students have no problems in fitting in an international school.

Of course, I know lots of UK top schools take local school students. I personally know a few.
But amongst the whole pool of students that go to study abroud, how many of them are in your "samples" of "local elite school + top schools", which you believed (and I do too), have no problem fitting in?

Well, not a big percentage.

Most are merely ordinary local school students, and then went overseas to very average high schools. Many of these local school students may even have problems with the local school English program.

Are you sure this majority can even get admission to GSIS or CIS you mentioned?

Discussion are of course in a way generalising. But we need to look at the situation as a big picture. It would only be conclusive if it is true for most. Hand picking samples from is not going to be a fair discussion.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題