搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 BILINGUAL
發新帖
查看: 2001|回覆: 15
go

BILINGUAL

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-25 11:11 |顯示全部帖子
Other than IS, are there any local schools (kinder) provide bilingual environment for the kids? Or I have to stick with IS? Thx.

發表於 10-6-25 11:20 |顯示全部帖子
Victoria......

發表於 10-6-26 13:15 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lsftsang 於 10-6-25 11:11 發表
Other than IS, are there any local schools (kinder) provide bilingual environment for the kids? Or I have to stick with IS? Thx.

Victoria, St Catherine, Stafford

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-27 23:40 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 lsftsang 於 10-6-25 11:11 發表

Actually, no IS is genuinely bilingual. So, if you want bilingual education, IS should not be your choice anyway.

[ 本帖最後由 Darth 於 10-6-28 00:01 編輯 ]

發表於 10-6-28 22:55 |顯示全部帖子
LH and Think.

發表於 10-6-29 11:28 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Darth 於 10-6-27 23:40 發表
Actually, no IS is genuinely bilingual. So, if you want bilingual education, IS should not be your choice anyway.

What do you mean?

Students in IS not capable of becoming truly bilingual?  Or, international schools in HK are so hopelessly useless that they can't go down the bilingual path?

They are thousands of bilingual schools in this world.  What makes HK so different that "genuine" bilingual schools become a rarity, if not an impossibility.  Have HK parents been subjected to some unknown radiation that they have to blindly worship English and believe that their kids must give up some Chinese to learn English?  What's so special about English?  It's one of the easiest language to learn.  Obviously we are living in different worlds (phew...)  Sons and daughters of people I know see no difficulty in becoming truly bilingual/tri-lingual/multi-lingual.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-29 12:23 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 iamfine 於 10-6-29 11:28 發表

They are thousands of bilingual schools in this world.  What makes HK so different that "genuine" bilingual schools become a rarity, if not an impossibility.  Have HK parents been subjected to some unknown radiation that they have to blindly worship English and believe that their kids must give up some Chinese to learn English?  What's so special about English?  It's one of the easiest language to learn.  Obviously we are living in different worlds (phew...)  Sons and daughters of people I know see no difficulty in becoming truly bilingual/tri-lingual/multi-lingual.

Ooooo!

Did my message give you the impression that I worship English? Did my message give you the impression that I think English is special?

I have only stated a fact: I am sorry to say so but unfortunately, I do not see any international school being able to provide a curriculum that is truly bilingual. Most students that are eventually bilingual were able to achieve a somewhat close to bilingual level because they were once from local schools and have really good Chinese language foundation.

International schools teach in English. Only very little time is used in teaching Chinese. I know some people think that since their sons or daughters are learning Chinese at school, they are proudly saying they are bilingual. But I would not be lying to myself. If my 15 year old child is learning Chinese using Book Two of Chinese Made Easy, I would not be so proud to say he is a bilingual person.

Hong Kong is an interesting place. I know a few local schools are providing Japanese and/or French classes at as young as P 3, as a third language class.  Parents are happy and schools become popular. Honestly, even elite schools like DGS do not have the guts to introduce a yet another language until secondary school. In any case, that is the market here: the more the better. Or in some ways parents prefer kids to be "jacks of all languages".

I have lots of friends that are multilingual. It is very common for western people to know at least 2 to 3 languages. I myself know French and Spanish too. But I guess a lot of other parents would agree that these are languages that are a lot more easy to learn than Chinese.

Obviously, we are indeed in different worlds. You are living in a hostile world.

[ 本帖最後由 Darth 於 10-6-29 12:40 編輯 ]

發表於 10-6-29 12:40 |顯示全部帖子
I think you both have points.  It also depends on how you elaborate the meaning of being bilingual.  If one has to speak/write/read relatively well in 2 languages, then I think Darth was right.  However, I am confident that most of the IS students can speak 2 languages (at least) with ease.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

發表於 10-6-29 12:42 |顯示全部帖子
So, FIS is not genuinely bilingual; nor is GSIS. And SIS/RC/ISF don't know what they are doing.

[French and Spanish] are languages that are a lot more easy to learn than Chinese.

It's really sad that some very local HK Chinese (I do not necessarily mean you, unless of course you consider yourself one of them) tend to pick up this sort of thinking. Pathetic.

And, isn't it strange that gweilos are more fond of Chinese these days?  It's the very local HK Chinese who tend to belittle their own language and culture, and to overstate the difficulty of learning English and Chinese.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 10-6-29 12:49 編輯 ]

發表於 10-6-29 12:48 |顯示全部帖子
Question of the Day:

Who will tend to think that local Chinese students can't learn both Chinese and English well?

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-29 12:50 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Mighty 於 10-6-29 12:40 發表
I think you both have points.  It also depends on how you elaborate the meaning of being bilingual.  If one has to speak/write/read relatively well in 2 languages, then I think Darth was right.  Howev ...

Of course, it is arguable as to how good you need to be in Chinese to be a bilingual person. However, generally, I do not believe being merely able to speak would be it.

Further, since we are talking about school education, when people asked about "bilingual" education, I think be are talking about at least some academic qualification.

As far as I know, most people that eventually get a bilingual IB diploma (taking both English and Chinese A) did not stay in the same IS from P1.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-29 12:55 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 iamfine 於 10-6-29 12:48 發表
Question of the Day:

Who will tend to think that local Chinese students can't learn both Chinese and English well?

My answer:

Stop being hostile.

發表於 10-6-29 12:57 |顯示全部帖子
My question is a question is a question.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-29 12:59 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 iamfine 於 10-6-29 12:42 發表
And, isn't it strange that gweilos are more fond of Chinese these days?  It's the very local HK Chinese who tend to belittle their own language and culture, and to overstate the difficulty of learning English and Chinese.

It is again interesting seeing people jump and clap their hands when a Gweilo speak some chinese.

發表於 10-6-29 13:07 |顯示全部帖子
It's more than that.  I actually adore those gweilos who speak our language and appreciate our cultures, as I adore those gweilos and gweipos who speak Japanese, Burmese, Takalog, Punjabi ... and I also adore those Chinese who also speak English, French, Japanese, German, Hindi...

On the other hand, I actually despise those French who don't appreciate French culture, Japanese who don't care about Japanese, German who don't listen to Beethoven and Bach, and local HK Chinese who consider Chinese a lesser language.

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-6-29 13:11 |顯示全部帖子
So, FIS is not genuinely bilingual; nor is GSIS. And SIS/RC/ISF don't know what they are doing.

I though we were talking about bilingual in Chinese+English. I do not believe FIS and GSIS have emphasis in Chinese.

I do not know SIS much, I would not comment. But what I know is they are teaching in English adn students use mostly English at school.

In RC, there are 3 levels of chinese classes. However, most students are still in the "foreign language" or "second language" chinese classes. Still want to say they are bilingual, huh.

ISF is trying hard to be a truly bilingual. But I guess they need to think of a curriculum and can (1) brush up non Chinese people's Chinese skills and (2) brush up Chinese people's (that know so little English) English skills. Two tasks to run at the same time. Good luck to them.

[ 本帖最後由 Darth 於 10-6-29 13:35 編輯 ]