用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 傳統教學 VS IB教學 WHICH ONE IS BETTER?
查看: 7960|回覆: 20
go

傳統教學 VS IB教學 WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

發表於 10-3-12 11:41 |顯示全部帖子

醒目開學勳章 貢獻勳章

發表於 10-3-12 17:10 |顯示全部帖子
長遠嚟睇, 我覺得IB應該對小朋友會好d (學習方面)

但係响HK, e+都仲係傳統主道, 無人知道IB出嚟嘅小朋友發展會係點, 大學方面又點睇佢地.. 呢個係兩個好唔同嘅公開試!

我個人比較保守, 我地暫時無計劃移民, 既然要留响HK, 就讀d認受性大d嘅課程

當然~ 時代會變, 但係我呢刻睇唔到成果, 我唔會俾d細路做白老鼠!

發表於 10-3-14 02:42 |顯示全部帖子
如果計劃小朋友大學或之前會去外國讀書, 選兩樣都可以, ib 似乎重好 d 添

不過, 如果大機會留在 hk 讀, 咁就讀傳統穩陣得多 .....

發表於 10-3-14 18:10 |顯示全部帖子
IBDP or myp or pyp?

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 10-3-14 22:57 編輯 ]

發表於 10-7-31 16:04 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# 小曳人 的文章

NSS -> 白老鼠, not IBDP......

發表於 10-7-31 16:39 |顯示全部帖子
IBDP Vs NSS
以升大學為本,IB應勝一籌。DBS中的精英才可選IB,他們不想進大學嗎?大學收生的教授也知道,IB生早已習慣大學式的探究式學習,所以自然會對IB生看高一線,而本地大學並無收IB生的限制,所以讀IB不用怕入本地大學有問題。
另一方面。讀IB 的要求亦較高(所以DBS只選精英)。英文和自學能力都要較強,很難死谷,亦沒有天皇名師可協助,所以如果信心不足,還是先選傳統,或到初中時才考慮IB。

[ 本帖最後由 wingsma 於 10-7-31 16:43 編輯 ]

發表於 10-8-2 15:26 |顯示全部帖子
我的個人看法是:

1.如果單單係問:邊樣好?我認為,首先要撇除學校質素/價錢/師資/學生資質等因素,若只係單單比較呢兩個教學, IB的課程設計,是比較適合入讀大學的教學方法.因為IB的課程本身就好要求學生去建立presentation,research,solve problems的功力.也要求學生主動,愛閱讀,有空間去思考,同讀大學所要用的方式差不多.

要撇除晒上述嗰啲因素,係因為樓主這條問題,真係好難答.因為涉及的因素太多.亦不是非此即彼.而傳統學校都出好多高材生,是與師資/學生努力等等有關.

2. IB課程設計本身就算比較適合入讀大學,也不代表所選擇那一間一定會有好成績.因為,還要考慮上述已撇除了的因素,例如老師教成點?流失率大唔大?間學校有冇往績?間學校的課程設計帶唔帶到班同學在IB試中考高分...等等.

3. 正如mattsmum所講,IB有分IBDP or myp or pyp,有些學校只提供IBDP,有些則有埋其他的.可考慮其實小朋友幾時先開始需要接受[IB式]培訓.當然,錢係一個問題,因為要攞到IBO認證,據講真係幾貴.

4.最常用的比較當然是:想本地升學>傳統學校;想海外升學>IB.不過,這也未必,好多傳統出的尖子去咗外國名牌大學,也有IB學生考番入本港大學.但須知,新的新高中試目前暫未得到海外教育機構的承認(這是理所當然的,因為都未開始,教育局應該努力搵緊海外承認),如果小朋友目前仍然年紀細,呢點可暫不用考慮,因為可能過幾年之後局面又唔同,但這是未知之數,這又是一個搏唔搏得過/或者願唔願意搏的問題.

[ 本帖最後由 Christi 於 10-8-2 15:35 編輯 ]

發表於 10-8-2 18:08 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# Christi 的文章

Your comments are fair, thorough and insightful.

For your point 4, I have the following comment. UKAS acknowledged the HKDSE results, but A* not equivalent to A* in GCE ALs. The chance to top notch universities is slim.

Last Oct, the Admission Officer of Cambridge visited my son's school (Total 10 schools in HK - DSS, ESF, IS and LPCUWC). He recommended us to take Pre-U in UK or IB in HK, he didn't say good or bad of HKDSE, but he did say Cambridge and Oxford seek for excellent academic students, any qualification better than GCE AL are good for application and have a chance for interview.

發表於 10-8-2 18:39 |顯示全部帖子
Students gamble on international baccalaureate
Due to miscomprehension of this equivalent to A levels, many of those students who took the qualification now regret it

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... /article6735896.ece

醒目開學勳章 王國長老

發表於 10-8-2 18:47 |顯示全部帖子
(((聽講)))某男名校新開ib, 唔夠學生揀, 個個都想play safe

嘗試從唔同途徑打聽究竟大學有幾多學生係經non-jupas入, 都無正面答案, 我自己相信80%學生都係經jupas, 而non-jupas位係for全世界競爭的, 包括大陸大量尖子, 究竟本地non-jupas學生(包括ib學生)有幾多機會, 真係好難講

我自己絕對相信ib係一個好全面既課程, 但如果打算o係本地升大學, 就要考慮多d (起碼現階段)

發表於 10-8-2 19:09 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Charlotte_mom 於 10-8-2 18:47 發表
(((聽講)))某男名校新開ib, 唔夠學生揀, 個個都想play safe

嘗試從唔同途徑打聽究竟大學有幾多學生係經non-jupas入, 都無正面答案, 我自己相信80%學生都係經jupas, 而non-jupas位係for全世界競爭的, 包括大陸大量尖 ...

Your "Hear says" are valid for last year, as it is the first year for the IBDP Bridging program in the said DSS. They intended to recruit 60 students, after interview they only offer 52 offers (80+ applicants), finally, only 45 students took the offers.

This year 100+ applicants, they provided 56 offers only, limited by the IB center still under construction. After one year, more top 30 students applied for IBDP, including top 3 in the form. The IBDP students work harder and progress more instead of NSS students.

I always use LPCUWC as yarkstick to gauge IB performance of the two top notch NSS schools in HK, 82% to HKU, CUHK and HKUST (LPCUWC 1999-2009 university destinations). I will keep the finger cross.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-8-2 19:23 編輯 ]

發表於 10-8-2 19:16 |顯示全部帖子
You may interested in this post:

Experience sharing of IB (國際文憑課程)vs NSS(新高中) in local school

http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/vie ... ;page=3#pid33072289

In the post, I just focus on IBDP vs NSS in local NSS school, not other IB programs (PYP & MYP) or "Claimed IB Approach" schools.

醒目開學勳章 王國長老

發表於 10-8-2 20:07 |顯示全部帖子
標準太高了吧! 果班全部都係x優狀元出生, 邊間大學唔收?!
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-8-2 07:09 PM 發表
I always use LPCUWC as yarkstick to gauge IB performance of the two top notch NSS schools in HK, 82% to HKU, CUHK and HKUST (LPCUWC 1999-2009 university destinations). I will keep the finger cross.

發表於 10-8-2 20:33 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# ANChan59 的文章

I don't know how schools can help children to achieve high standard, but I wish I had the chance to take IB and I wish I could be taught to answer the following questions:

Answer one essay question only. You must base your answer on at least two of the Part 3 works you have studied. You may include in your answer a discussion of a Part 2 work of the same genre if relevant. Answers which are not based on a discussion of at least two Part 3 works, will not score high marks.

Drama
Either
(a)        “In plays, no one arrives on or leaves from the stage without contributing in some way to the complexity of the play.” Considering two or three plays you have studied, compare the impact on meaning of some arrivals and departures from the stage.
Or
(b)        What dramatic techniques have playwrights used to convey ideas and/or beliefs in two or three plays you have studied, and how effective have they been?

Poetry
Either
(a)        Discuss and compare the role of the speaker or persona in poems you have studied. You must refer closely to the work of two or three poets in your study and base your answer on a total of three or four poems.
Or
(b)        “The principal concern of poets is either to explain themselves to the world, or to explain the world to themselves.” Considering in detail how poets in your study convey their principal concerns, say to what extent you agree with the above statement. You must refer closely to the work of two or three poets in your study and base your answer on a total of three or four poems.

Prose: The Novel and Short Story
Either
(a)        Acquiring material wealth or rejecting its attractions has often been the base upon which writers have developed interesting plots. Compare the ways the writers of two or three works you have studied have developed such motivations.
Or
(b)        “Make them laugh, make them cry, make them wait.” Focusing on one of these demands for the writing of fiction, show how it emerges as a significant factor in creating interest in two or three works you have studied.

Prose: Other than the Novel and Short Story
Either
(a)        Compare how structure or organization has been used to shape meaning in two or three works you have studied.
Or
(b)        “Some writers cause readers to consider action; others simply want the readers to reflect.” In the light of this quotation, compare the ways in which the writers of two or three works in your study have influenced the attitudes of the reader to the issues they present.

Either
(a)        “Some works of literature are universal and timeless; others seem specific to one place and/or time.” In what ways do two or three works in your study explore this range of possibilities?
Or
(b)        A writer speaks of being “surprised by joy.” In two or three works you have studied, discuss some moments which have surprised and/or delighted you and consider the ways writers have achieved those particular effects.
Or
(c)        Using two or three of the works you have studied, discuss how and to what effect writers have used exaggeration as a literary device.
Or
(d)        Writers make many deliberate choices in the course of creating their works. Considering one or two stylistic aspects, compare the effectiveness of some choices writers have made in two or three works you have studied.

發表於 10-8-2 20:40 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# mattsmum 的文章

I also wished I had the chance to be taught under IB and be able to answer the following EE questions, my god I don't quite know the answer:

Sample Topics for Extended Essay

The influence of diet and geographical location on the isotopic composition of hair

The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the ph in the mouth after a meal

Competition among petrol stations in my area

Determinants of consumer behavior with regard to fuel in the Dutch/Belgian border region

Lead pollution: impacts and control in the Colorado Rockies

Explanations of the collapse of the Minoan Civilization

Recording the beginnings and early events of the second Punic War

The historical backlash against American working women

Can man and the natural environment coexist?

The proof of the law of quadratic reciprocity The ancient history of pi

The problem of survival: Utilitarianism versus Absolutism

Does the frequency of light affect the resolution of the eye?

The fallibility of memory in eyewitness testimony

Myth and History in Derek Walcott’s Epic Poem “Omeros”

The similarities between Gregor Samsa of the Metamorphosis and the monster
from Frankenstein

A study in the nobility of man as portrayed by characters from three novels

Art / Design
Examples of Refining a Chosen Topic

An analytical study of the cycle of frescoes of St Christopher’s Church in Milan is better than The history of Renaissance Art.

Picasso: genius or cultural thief? is better than Constructivism.

Biology
The competitive and evolutionary nature of the symbiotic relationship in Paramecium busaria is better than Symbiosis in animals.

The effect of banana peel on seed germination is better than Factors which effect the germination of seeds.

Chemistry Extraction of natural pigments and their use as dyeing agents is better than Natural dyes.

Kinetics of oxidation of Iodide with H2O2 in acidic solutions is better than Chemical Kinetics.

Classical Languages The role of the Ara Pacis in promoting Augustan ideology is better than Propaganda of the Emperor Augustine.

The function of wit and humor in Cicero’s Pro Caelio is better than Cicero as an orator.

Computer Science
The hidden enemies nemesis: The computer anti virus, cure or lost cause is better than Protect your computer.

The fundamentals of object orientated programming is better than Expert Systems.

Economics
Do interest rates affect investment decisions? is better than The Third World Debt Crisis.

The economic costs and benefits of shrimp farming in Ecuador is better than The consequences of shrimp farming in Ecuador.

Environmental Systems
Lead pollution: impacts and control in Toronto is better than Atmospheric pollution.

Sustainable forestry management in Finland is better than Deforestation and global warming.

Geography
High school catchment areas in Denver, USA: their spheres of influence but not High school catchment areas in the USA.

The influence of aspect on residential land use in San Salvador, El Salvador but not Residential land use in Central America.

History Nationalism as a cause of the First World War but not Nationalism. An examination of the influence of British Darwinism on Cecil Rhodes but not Cecil Rhodes.

Literature
Religious imagery in Wuthering Heights but not The Brontes.

The problems of racial conflict as shown through the works of James Baldwin but not Racial conflict in the twentieth century.

Mathematics
Prime numbers in cryptography is better than Prime numbers. Using Graph Theory to minimize cost is better than Graph Theory.

Music
African influence on Paul Simon is better than The music of Africa.

The marimba music of Bagamoyo is better than The Xylophone.

Philosophy
A study of the Sense-datum theory is better than Perception.

Doing versus being: language and reality in the Mimamsa school of Indian Philosophy is better than Language and the nature of reality.

Physics Wind Power:
A clean source of Energy? is better than Alternative energy sources.

Psychology

Can cognitive development in children be accelerated? but not The growing child.

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 10-8-2 21:04 編輯 ]

發表於 10-8-2 20:51 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kitmantsoi 於 10-8-2 18:39 發表
Students gamble on international baccalaureate
Due to miscomprehension of this equivalent to A levels, many of those students who took the qualification now regret it

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol ...

Add another few articles also from UK related to IB and AL. Have wider and fair comments for us to consider to minimise "Miscomprehension".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/international-baccalaureate-why-the-broad-ib-beats-alevels-395262.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/benefits-of-the-ib-exam-581914.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/5156108.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-10725910

My understanding, students with expected score from their IB schools to apply university admission through UCAS and based on that they may have a chance for interivew. After interview, the universities will notify the student the conditional offer. those students had an offer with higher score offer may not perform well in the interview. That's what I heard from the Oxbridge Admission Officers in last year's admission seminars in HK.

43       Excellent expected score with under-par interview performance
38-42  Excellent expected score with very good interview performance
Below 38 No chance for interview, Oxbridge stated that their admission based on purely academic not like US system.

In UK, GCE AL with 3As ~30%, 3As only not necessary will have a chance for interview.

發表於 10-8-2 21:05 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# mattsmum 的文章

I don't know the answer as well.............   

That's my son and his teachers responsibilities, they need to work hard and smart enough to get good grades.

My son's summer assignment is reading a novel for book report. Chinese is reading a book about 唐詩 and did a research on a 詩人 to analyse his characteristics during his life cycle or compare and contrast specific 唐詩 topic with different 詩人. Lots of fun.......

發表於 10-8-2 21:09 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# mattsmum 的文章

Extended essay and TOK title or topic is nominated by the students and agreed with his teacher.

發表於 10-8-2 21:33 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# ANChan59 的文章

really fun in this kind of study

tok:

The IB requirement
Prescribed titles
You have to choose one essay from a list of ten ‘prescribed titles’ which are set by the IBO (International Baccalaureate Organization). These essays are usually comparative in nature: you are expected to compare and contrast different ways of knowing (perception, language, reason, emotion) and/or different areas of knowledge (mathematics, natural sciences, human sciences, history, ethics, the arts). Here are two prescribed titles from 2007:
1        Compare the roles played by reason and imagination in at least two Areas of Knowledge.
2        When mathematicians, historians and scientists say that they have explained something, are they using the word ‘explain’ in the same way?

Theory of knowledge prescribed titles November 2010 and May 2011
Instructions to candidates
Your theory of knowledge essay for examination must be submitted to your teacher for authentication. It must be written on one of the ten titles (questions) provided below. You may choose any title, but are recommended to consult with your teacher. Your essay will be marked according to the assessment criteria published in the Theory of Knowledge guide. Remember to centre your essay on knowledge issues and, where appropriate, refer to other parts of your IB programme and to your experiences as a knower. Always justify your statements and provide relevant examples to illustrate your arguments. Pay attention to the implications of your arguments, and remember to consider what can be said against them. If you use external sources, cite them according to a recognized convention.
Note that statements in quotations in these titles are not necessarily authentic: they present a real point of view but may not have been spoken or written by an actual person. It is appropriate to analyse them but it is unnecessary, even unwise, to spend time on researching a context for them.
Examiners mark essays against the title as set. Respond to the title exactly as given; do not alter it in any way.
Your essay must be between 1200 and 1600 words in length.
1.        Consider the extent to which knowledge issues in ethics are similar to those in at least one other area of knowledge.
2.        How important are the opinions of experts in the search for knowledge?
3.        “Doubt is the key to knowledge” (Persian Proverb). To what extent is this true in two areas of knowledge?
4.        To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?
5.        To what extent are the various areas of knowledge defined by their methodologies rather than their content?
6.        “There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false”. Discuss this claim.
7.        How can we recognise when we have made progress in the search for knowledge? Consider two contrasting areas of knowledge.
8.        “Art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth” (Pablo Picasso). Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific art form (for example, visual arts, literature, theatre).
9.        Discuss the roles of language and reason in history.
10.        A model is a simplified representation of some aspect of the world. In what ways may models help or hinder the search for knowledge?

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 10-8-2 21:36 編輯 ]

發表於 10-8-2 23:52 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 1# mattsmum 的文章

I don't think I can handle IB curriculum after spoonfeed for so many years. Language, critical thinking, etc not good enough to master IB.

How about you?

My son told me that his work load will be double, many essays, lab reports, presentation. In the bridging program, their CA : Exam will be 50 : 50. He can't "hea" for another three years.

One of my son's senior told him that IBDP really tough, but learnt alot - time management, discipline, critical thinking, meeting deadlines etc.