密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF vs. KCIS
樓主: HaileyChn
go

ESF vs. KCIS [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-3-18 15:17 |只看該作者
Yes. The local & int'l sections (for KCIS: starting from P.2) share the same campus at Braemar Hill, North Point.

If you want to know more about its Secondary School, you may google "KCCIS" (not KCIS) and get a very basic idea how the students are doing, say like:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=kccis&aq=f

http://www.fotolog.com/ivannasze

http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=746074&page=2

Though my daughter will be in RCHK this August, I am interested in paying a visit to Braemar Hill campus as I might put my younger son there when he reaches P. 1.

原帖由 babyoush 於 09-3-18 13:37 發表

共用校舍 ??

22#
發表於 09-3-26 00:04 |只看該作者
My daughter has been offered a space in P2 upcoming Sept. I am thinking and thinking, what I don't like is the building. It's very very old, and dreary, and I am worried because it's sharing with the local secondary. My daughter was standing next to a boy just getting off school, guess he must be secondary, my daughter was up to his thighs in height. I cannot imagine her walking next to these giants in the same building !

Good Hope is our present choice, until they offered us the spot today. Thinking thinking thinking....

23#
發表於 09-3-26 00:39 |只看該作者
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-3-26 00:04 發表
My daughter has been offered a space in P2 upcoming Sept. I am thinking and thinking, what I don't like is the building. It's very very old, and dreary, and I am worried because it's sharing with the  ...

I think many schools share campus for Primary & Secondary school, or at least they are in the same location, like RCHK, Good Hope......pros & cons.

24#
發表於 09-3-27 11:47 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

25#
發表於 09-3-27 13:03 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-3-27 11:47 發表
第一,它的英語跟ESF一樣 --- Really ??

第二,它的中文肯定比ESF強 --- I don't think so as the Chinese standard of students in IS are mainly depending on the parents but not the school.

My person view is v ...

where can we see those results? Can you share some links?

26#
發表於 09-3-27 13:56 |只看該作者

27#
發表於 09-3-27 14:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-3-27 13:56 發表
For the results of secondary schools, someone has posted them on BK before and you have to search them from those threads in this section long long time ago. But one thing I remembered clearly that th ...

I found some very rough data from ESF Secondary school website:

KGV: http://www.kgv.edu.hk/achievements/examresult.html

SC:

https://clc.esf.edu.hk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=2299&ResourceID=180035

SIS

http://www.sis.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeid=1128&langNo=1

WIS

http://clc.esf.edu.hk/GroupRenderCustomPage.asp?GroupID=1888&ResourceId=19355

Can't find IS one...

28#
發表於 09-3-27 15:16 |只看該作者

29#
發表於 09-3-28 00:01 |只看該作者
原帖由 HaileyChn 於 09-3-13 00:20 發表
My son is now accepted by both ESF Abacus and KCIS K1 2009.  Which one is better?  Any comments?

My kid is now in Abacus K1. Students from Abacus have to be interviewed before they will be accepted by Clear Water Bay School. Abacus students get priority for interview. It works in this order: Cat 1 Abacus students, Cat 1 non-Abacus students, Cat 2 Abacus students, Cat 2 non -Abacus students.

I heard from some K2 parents that up to 2 weeks ago, there were still no interviews for Cat 2 students in Abacus because there are too many Cat 1 students applying for Clear Water Bay School. Note: Shatin Junior has already completed the interview process for ESF kindergarten students around Chinese New Year. Now Cat. 1 are foreigners. I think students with siblings also belong to Cat. 1.

When I heard the news, which I did verify with their office, I was very worried that my kid would not even be given an interview for P1 next year. I then applied for a place in K2 of KCIS (International) as once you get in KCIS, you can go direct to P1 without an interview. I may transfer to KCIS next year.

Is there any way I can contact you direct to give you more comments?

30#
發表於 09-3-28 00:37 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-3-27 15:16 發表
One thing I would like to clarify.

I am only talking about the comparision of ESF primary and secondary with KCIS primary and secondary.

Regarding the kinder, I think the teaching quality of KCIS ki ...

Why KCIS teaching quality is better? How do you compared? You have kids in both kinder?

31#
發表於 09-3-28 01:04 |只看該作者
原帖由 thomas7799c 於 09-3-28 00:01 發表

My kid is now in Abacus K1. Students from Abacus have to be interviewed before they will be accepted by Clear Water Bay School. Abacus students get priority for interview. It works in this order: Ca ...

I think you mix up some info. My daughter is in Abacus K2 and she got admitted by RC & CWBS (and we chose CWBS).  Almost all Cat 1 students goes to CWBS already (some do go to RC). Some Cat 2 students also get in CWBS in 2 round of interviews. For the rest of Abacus K2 students, they were interviewd by KJS, BHS or SJS, and most got admitted finally, unless they failed the interviews.

I think ESF Abacus (and other ESF kinders) try their very best to let all children have interview chances in ESF Primary school finally, but there is no free lunch for going to ESF Primary school, and this maintain the standard of ESF primary school, though it sounds like I am very cold-blooded to say that....

And Abacus has emphasised at the very beginning that students should apply more school in order to secure a chance for their kids to study in primary school. That included RC and normal ESF that you can send in 2 applications for both school (not sure if you can apply for DC too). Most parents think it is not necessary as their kids (even in Cat 2) will be able to enter any ESF easily, and finally proved it is not true.

If you are in Abacus, I think you should stick with it. It is a very good kinder with lovely garden good teachers, and you are half way in a very good education system in ESF already. Make your own call.

32#
發表於 09-3-29 21:54 |只看該作者
Thx for the info. Do you know if all Cat. 2 students of Abacus were given an interview for CWBS if they selected CWBS in the first place?

33#
發表於 09-3-30 02:28 |只看該作者
原帖由 thomas7799c 於 09-3-29 21:54 發表
Thx for the info. Do you know if all Cat. 2 students of Abacus were given an interview for CWBS if they selected CWBS in the first place?

As far as I know, the answer is no for CWBS. But all Cat 2 students should have interviews in other ESF school too such as KJS, BHS, SJS, etc. But not all finally has been accepted as it will still depend on the kid's english capability.

So I will suggest you should also apply RCHK in parallel as a back-up.

34#
發表於 09-3-30 13:55 |只看該作者

醒目開學勳章

35#
發表於 09-3-30 14:07 |只看該作者
wisekid2007,

My girl is going to KCIS  K1 in Sept 09.

Would u please also give me some opinion about the ESF and KCIS primary? As we may plan to leave HK whe our kids complete their primary school.

I know that every school has its pros and cons, but should I try to let her go to other IS (with KCIS as the backup choice only) or it's ok to let her stay in KCIS for kinder + primary?

Thx

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-3-27 15:16 發表
One thing I would like to clarify.

I am only talking about the comparision of ESF primary and secondary with KCIS primary and secondary.

Regarding the kinder, I think the teaching quality of KCIS ki ...

36#
發表於 09-3-30 14:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-3-30 13:55 發表
Regarding kindergarten education, the weightings on school environment, facilities and extra-curricular activities are relatively less important as compared with the primary and secondary education. O ...

I have experience by putting my kid in local operated kinder and ESF kinder (abacus) and found some diff

1. local one has more Chinese teacher teaching english (may be the one we are at is not famous enough)

2. in ESF kinder (K2) our class has more than 75% overseas kid

3. The environment, especially in Abacus, is like a little rural village. I like it a lot. Everyday they have outdoor activities. The local one is surrounded by A/C 24 hours a day. All kids need more fresh air!

4. Finally more than 95% of kids get a place in ESF Y1 (as fas as I heard)

5. Most important, my kid like it a lot.

6. In local kinder, they will give u some homework to take back home, even just a page of connecting 2 dots to form a line.

Adding up everything, and finally my kid got in CWBS, I will take Abacus if I have to do it all again!

37#
發表於 09-3-30 15:34 |只看該作者
原帖由 popolung 於 09-3-30 14:13 發表

I have experience by putting my kid in local operated kinder and ESF kinder (abacus) and found some diff

1. local one has more Chinese teacher teaching english (may be the one we are at is not famo ...

Dear popolung,
I do appreciate your sharing of your personal experiences;
I agree that Personal experiences are worthy for others' references.

38#
發表於 09-3-30 16:50 |只看該作者
原帖由 oooray 於 09-3-30 15:34 發表

Dear popolung,
I do appreciate your sharing of your personal experiences;
I agree that Personal experiences are worthy for others' references.

Welcome, just hope what I knew will be able to help other parents who is still finding their way. The key point is, I "think", once you decided the academic path for your kid (of course you have to estimate if you can afford it), don't twist easily. The one who suffer will be your kid immediately, and the whole family finally.

39#
發表於 09-3-30 17:12 |只看該作者
I think it may be unfair (and dangerous!) to say one school is better than the other. Unless someone puts one child in ESF & one in KCIS at the same time, it is hard to make an unbiased judgement.

Same as popolung, before I put my daughter in KCIS, she was in an "International Class" of a local kindergarten. Although she was taught by native English/Mandarin teachers, I can firmly say that was absolutely "local" because of the curriculum/assessment system/homework...

Back to the topic question, i.e. "ESF vs KCIS", my choice was KCIS two years ago & I have no regret too because 1) I wanted my daughter to learn more Chinese/Mandarin (more than that of ESF) in an international school setting; 2) KCIS is a through-train school and I am a play safe person; 3) ESF primary was not my target school. (**I only applied RCHK for my daughter this year.)

Some of my daughter's classmates will go to QBS but I don't think many KCIS students target on it. For me, it's also interesting to know some of the KCS (main stream) students will be going to SIS, CIS.....

So I guess parents choose KCS/KCIS because they are attracted by the emphasis on Chinese/Mandarin.

After reading the thread, I was tempted to do a little research on "What is an international school???".

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-3378121,prtpage-1.cms

http://www.isbusan.org/php/thePrincipal.php

There are also some discussions regarding ESF & KCS or KCIS.

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/parenting-advice/threads/89092/esf-or-kc/

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread122906.html

40#
發表於 09-3-30 23:49 |只看該作者
原帖由 琬晴B 於 09-3-30 17:12 發表
I think it may be unfair (and dangerous!) to say one school is better than the other. Unless someone puts one child in ESF & one in KCIS at the same time, it is hard to make an unbiased judgement.

Sa ...

100% agree with you. It is irrational to simply conclude A school better than B school except u really experience them together.
Also, rather than simply asking somebody comments on either A or B, why not going into details of characteristics of A & B and then decide which one fit your child?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題