教育王國 討論區 國際學校 IB vs GCSE exam
樓主: NLai
go

IB vs GCSE exam [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 08-5-14 09:38 |只看該作者
Dear chrisf,

Are we that far apart?

I did not say that GCSE is bad; I did not say anything bad about GCSE + IBDP; I did not say MYP + DP is the only way to go; I did not say anything bad about schools that go the GCSE + DP way, did I?

My only issue with your statement is that it is contemptuous of many others.  It shows no respect for others.  And it reflects a somehow biased way that there is only one way to heaven.  It may well be that it is, strictly speaking, not necessary to go for PYP and MYP.  But, does not follow that schools doing PYP/MYP are not doing them for good causes?

B.R.
W
Still cannot understand why my answers to your posts brought out all these ugly yikes.

42#
發表於 08-5-14 09:55 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-5-12 08:30 發表
don't try the new IB school as they have no historical record - I don't mean they are  bad but it is difficult for univerity to give a fair judgement...

Many people, if not all, know that the Diploma Program of IB is an all rounded curriculum. So the result of DP can reflect the quality of a student and help universities to make judgement. I guess the effect of 'historical record' is minimal.

43#
發表於 08-5-14 10:37 |只看該作者
Let vote for the order of preference of primary schools:

1. German Swiss/ESF  (have IBD only)
2. Victoria/Kingston/RC with PYP (primary school)
3. DBSPD/DGS/SPCC - local DSS
4. LS/MCS/MSS - no school fee

原文章由 xenonlit 於 08-5-14 09:55 發表

Many people, if not all, know that the Diploma Program of IB is an all rounded curriculum. So the result of DP can reflect the quality of a student and help universities to make judgement. I guess t ...

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-5-14 12:06 編輯 ]

44#
發表於 08-5-14 11:54 |只看該作者
Yew Chung is not a PYP authorised school. They only offer IB Diploma. RC, Victoria, Hong Kong Academy & Kingston offer PYP. For complete list of IB authorised school, pls see IB website.

45#
發表於 08-5-14 14:19 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-5-14 10:37 發表
Let vote for the order of preference of primary schools:

4. LS/MCS/MSS - no schoo ...

Let me elaborate. For example, three students, both Peter and Paul are from a renowned secondary school with decades of excellent history, and John from a two year old new school, all three of them sit for the same subjects in the same public exam. Results : Peter got ABC, Paul got ABD while John got ABC. Now they all apply for the same subject in the same university. I believe the university would choose Peter and John.
Why people would choose schools with 'good history', because there may be a chance to get good results but does not mean students from a new school will not have good results, therefore 'zero history' of a new shcool should not be a factor. On the other hand a new school needs time to build up reputation is true.

46#
發表於 08-5-14 17:32 |只看該作者
Very well-put, Xenonlit. I think your argument is sound. As long as the school provides a challanging academic environment, it should not matter whether it's new or old. The students should be well-prepared for whatever public exams they want to take, be it GCSE, IBD or SAT, etc.

However, the college counselor/principal maybe also play a critical role. If the counselor/principal had a good repoire or relationship with certain universities, they will have some pull in helping the borderline or wait-listed students to gain admission. That's how certain famous prep schools have very high percentage of admission into Ivy League universities.

47#
發表於 08-5-14 21:22 |只看該作者
If three students, two from a renowned secondary school with decades of excellent history, and one from a two year old new school, all three of them sit for the same subjects in the same public exam a with same result. Now they all apply for the same subject in the same university and only two place left. Which two will be accepted ?

In additonal, who want to take risk if you have choice.

原文章由 hysterical 於 08-5-14 11:54 發表
Yew Chung is not a PYP authorised school. They only offer IB Diploma. RC, Victoria, Hong Kong Academy & Kingston offer PYP. For complete list of IB authorised school, pls see IB website.

48#
發表於 08-5-14 22:29 |只看該作者
In that case, with three students having the exact same scores on the same public exam, then the admissions committee (from an US university) will look at the other achievements such as sports, music, leadership and/or other areas.

The universities will also look at the courses that the students took in the last few years of secondary school. Are the courses the most challenging ones offered at the school?

Furthermore, the students' portfolio is critical. Does his/her portfolio show that he/she is a person who has broad interests but also persevered in certain areas to demonstrate achievement? The written essay in the application is also very important in differentiating the uniqeness and showing the critical thinking skills of the candidate.

Finally, teachers' recommendations are also a major influential factor. If the teacher/ principal or some well-known individual could provide a glowing recommendation letter for the student, then that maybe all that is needed.

Of course given a choice, one would certainly choose the most well-known school that he/she can get into. However, there isn't always a choice, is there? Especially in HK where almost 99.9% of the schools are full and the waitlists are so long that chances of admission is next to none. We as parents can only do our best to let our kids attend the best school within ours and their abillities.

Thus, speaking from experience, if all three students have the exact same scores on the same public exam. If the two from the renown school are nerds, but the third student from the new school demonstrate a well-rounded portfoloio, I would say with certainty that any US university will admit the third one first, and consider one of the renown school students to drop.

49#
發表於 08-5-14 23:24 |只看該作者
After all, which is the choice for your kid

4. LS/MCS/MSS - no school fee

原文章由 hysterical 於 08-5-14 22:29 發表
In that case, with three students having the exact same scores on the same public exam, then the admissions committee (from an US university) will look at the other achievements such as sports, music, ...

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-5-14 23:25 編輯 ]

50#
發表於 08-5-15 12:03 |只看該作者
For me, keeping in mind the ultimate goal of attending university in the US, my first choice would be CIS (IB MYP & IBD), and my second choice is HKIS (US curriculum). My third choice is RC (IB through train).

The other schools are also excellent in many aspects. Just my personal preference.

51#
發表於 08-5-15 12:05 |只看該作者
What would you choose for your kids?

52#
發表於 08-5-15 12:11 |只看該作者
要科學化比較,就要假設其他條件都一樣。
但每間學校都有不同特色,不能就這樣比較。選擇學校,家長都會看學校地點,學校校舍,學校課程,學校宗教,學校收費。
單單說學校歷史較悠久,其實又未必是選擇學校的主要原因,亦不會是質素的保證。
單單是把主流名校之首如 DGS 和 SPCC 放在 Kingston 和 RC 之後的第三位,我相信好多主流學校家長都唔會順氣。

53#
發表於 08-5-16 21:34 |只看該作者
原文章由 hysterical 於 08-5-15 12:05 發表
What would you choose for your kids?

1st choices : CIS/HKIS/GSIS
2nd choices : ESF/RC/DC/KCIS
3rd choices : VSA/CKY/ISF
4th choices : local schools

54#
發表於 08-5-17 06:50 |只看該作者
May I know why you put ESF/RC/DC/KCIS before VSA/CKY/ISF?  
VSA/CKY/ISF are also under IB and they have more emphasize on Chinese language.  Should they be more suitable for HK student?

原文章由 Yau_Cheung 於 08-5-16 21:34 發表

1st choices : CIS/HKIS/GSIS
2nd choices : ESF/RC/DC/KCIS
3rd choices : VSA/CKY/ISF
4th choices : local schools

55#
發表於 08-5-17 17:01 |只看該作者
原文章由 lawlinhy 於 08-5-17 06:50 發表
VSA/CKY/ISF are also under IB and they have more emphasize on Chinese language.  Should they be more suitable for HK student?

hi lawlinhy,

Please check pm.

56#
發表於 08-5-17 20:30 |只看該作者
My consideration are :
1. capability (speaking and writing)  in both English & Chinese.
2. balanced development
3. Good chance to get in top tier university worldwide

1st choices : Top Tier Local Schools (DBSPD, La Salle, St Paul Coed..etc)
2st choices : IS : CIS/HKIS/GSIS/CKY
3rd choices : IS: ESF/RC/DC/KCIS
4th choices : Local IB school VSA

原文章由 Yau_Cheung 於 08-5-17 17:01 發表

hi lawlinhy,

Please check pm.

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-5-17 20:32 編輯 ]

57#
發表於 08-5-17 20:58 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-5-17 20:30 發表
My consideration are :
2. balanced development

1st choices : Top Tier Local Schools (DBSPD, La Salle, St Paul Coed..etc)
2st choices : IS : CIS/HKIS/GSIS/CKY
3rd choices : IS: ESF/RC/DC/KCIS
4th choices : Local IB school VSA

hi mattewdad,

Would you mind to share why you put CKY on 2nd and VSA on 4th as both of them are new, IB schools and no track record.  Thank you for your kind sharing.

58#
發表於 08-5-18 08:36 |只看該作者
CKY is run by non-profit making organization and Victoria is run by fund manager. The measurement is different.
In additonal, I am not very concern on IB for primary school but IBD is important for entering into university.

原文章由 Yau_Cheung 於 08-5-17 20:58 發表

hi mattewdad,

Would you mind to share why you put CKY on 2nd and VSA on 4th as both of them are new, IB schools and no track record.  Thank you for your kind sharing.

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-5-18 09:03 編輯 ]

59#
發表於 08-5-18 20:16 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-5-17 20:30 發表
My consideration are :
2. balanced development

1st choices : Top Tier Local Sc ...

哈哈, 差好遠喔.

60#
發表於 08-5-18 23:10 |只看該作者
Yau_Cheung ,

I want to know too. Can you tell me, please?

原文章由 lawlinhy 於 08-5-17 06:50 發表
‹ 上一主題|下一主題