go

ISF 未能符合IBO要求,最終放棄伸請MYP [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-11-20 09:05 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-11-20 13:09 |只看該作者
I have lost interest in BK since long ago but been referred to this post by an ISF parent.

Does anyone know the TRUE and UNDERLINING reasons?

I do.  

I guess everybody knows that ISF has a no-Cantonese on campus policy.  This, unfortunately, is against the "mother tongue first" policy of MYP.  IBO reckons that we should not prohibit the use of Cantonese in favour of two foreign languages ( for some reasons IBO considers Putonghua foreign).  This matter has been the centre of discussions between IBO and the school for over 12 months.  I have no idea how the issue will be resolved at the end.  And I honestly don't care.  Some schools may choose to back away from their own missions and settle on the lesser. I for one am entirely for the Putonghua/English immersion approach taken by ISF, which in my view is one a kind and more forward looking.  If ISF is to abandon the immersion approach to satisfy IBO, I will be the first one to kiss the school goodbye.

It is of course not easy to go a different way.  But I'm loving it.

Happy as ever.

3#
發表於 08-11-20 14:15 |只看該作者

4#
發表於 08-11-20 15:28 |只看該作者
Aren't there some primary sources to refer to and some offical documents for everyone to read?

5#
發表於 08-11-20 15:30 |只看該作者
It is difficult to say how other schools have done it.  There are so many other things IBO would consider when they see whether a school qualifies to be an IB school. Each school is different. As far as the language situation is concerned, I believe RC is quite different from ISF.

RC is an English medium school. All students uses English during all classes (except Chinese classes) starting from Year 1. Whether you are Japanese, French, or African, you learn with English. English might not be your mother tongue, but you are expected to use English just like it is your mother tongue, and are expected to have English standard just like it is your mother tongue. Chinese language at RC is just an additional language. Some students are good at Chinese and some have standard compatible to local school students. But this is still a minority. Roughly one-quarter to one-third of the students (including chinese and non-chinese kids) are learning Chinese as a second language. Most of these students have never learned Chinese before and they need to learn from "the beginning". So I believe, RC has to take English to be the first language.

As far as I understand, RC do not have any language policy regarding the use of mother tongue within the school because there are students from different nationalities. Students are free to speak French, Finish, Korean, Cantonese etc outside classrooms during break time. But the main language used to learn and to communicate is still English. English is used as a first language and is taught as a first language. And the "private" use of Finish or French do not seem to have jeopardised the qulification of English to be a first language at RC.

I do not know what the criteria of "first language" are with IB. But I believe not all those criteria are applicable to all schools. And, honestly, if parents and students are happy with a school, it does not matter whether it is an IB school or not.

6#
發表於 08-11-20 15:55 |只看該作者

7#
發表於 08-11-20 21:11 |只看該作者
**there was not much use to apply accreditation for PYP and MYP as there was no need to waste money for accreditation and maintenance so far the school could still follow a similar format and curriculum of PYP and MYP**

I also heard that the principal of CKY had also given the statement similar to the above in the curriculum talk with parents of their students.

It still confuses me up to now whether IB PYP and MYP are really necessary/advantages for students planning to take IBD?  Anyone can give comments?  Thanks.

Saturn.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-20 15:55 發表
I think that CIS and VSA also adopt similar approach towards languages like RC as they also use English as their major medium of instructions in all the teaching except during the Chinese lessons that ...

8#
發表於 08-11-20 23:24 |只看該作者
I was an ex-parent of the ISF and my child has been moved out of the ISF starting from this year. As far as I know, a number of students in my child's grade have been transferred to another school because it is not value for money.

9#
發表於 08-11-21 09:21 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-20 15:55 發表
***And, honestly, if parents and students are happy with a school, it does not matter whether it is an IB school or not.***

Basically, it is true only for those rational parents but not for those ISF die hard fans.

I think I was trying to speak from a realistic point. Try putting your feet in those parents shoes. If the school is now unable to get approval, then it simply cannot. That's it. Of course, some disappointed parents might want to know why. But knowing why does not help the students that are already with the school. OK, even if the school says that they are now willing to make certain changes in order to meet with IB criteria, it is going to take some time to really be able to transit smoothly.

I think the best way is that parent really think whether they like the school. It has been running for some time now. I am not surprised some people do not like the school and have left. No schools can please everyone.

If parents really think the fact that ISF is unable to be an IB approved MYP school is a big problem, then may be they should look around for places in other schools. Do not waste time scolding and hating your child's school everyday.

If parents really like the school, and to the extend that whether ISF is IB approved is not important, I fully support their decision.

Life is never as perfect as we wish. I have friends with children in ISF too. From what I understand, although ISF does not meet my own needs, it is still a good school. And it appears to me that many parents and children like this school a lot.

And THAT is the most important, isn't it?

10#
發表於 08-11-21 10:13 |只看該作者
I also heard that the principal of CKY had also given the statement similar to the above in the curriculum talk with parents of their students.

I know that quite a number of schools have put forth with such ideas to parents. I think, if they are responsible educationalists, they should not have said something like that.

If they do not want to go through getting IB accreditation, then simply say so. The term "IB" should not be used as a marketing tool.

I do not want to challenge those who said the statement that you claimed they have. They are supposed to be the professionals, and they should have responsibilities to giving out the correct information to parents.

However, I do not think we need to be an expert in any respect to tell the differences between getting accreditation and not getting accreditation. It is not just a matter of paying certain inspection fees and getting an official chop or certificate for display.

Actually getting accreditation means that a school meets all criteria and will be doing what IB wants them to do. IB schools are getting regular inspections, so that IBO know that schools are doing what they should be doing. No accreditation means no regulations from IBO. And who know whether everything is done according to the criteria of IB.

It still confuses me up to now whether IB PYP and MYP are really necessary/advantages for students planning to take IBD?  Anyone can give comments?

With the presumption that a parent like IB program because he is considering IBD for his child, I would say it is definitely best if you start from an MYP school, or even better from PYP.

Education is a process. The time children spent in an MYP school (or even better from PYP school as well), would have them better prepared for their later years in senior high school.

However, of course, practically speaking, you do not need to be in MYP to go to IBD. In fact, you do not need to be in IBD to go to top universities. All roads lead to Rome.

11#
發表於 08-11-21 14:11 |只看該作者
If ISF can't offer MYP ,may be they need to
decrease the school fee!Is it worth
to study here without IB but with a high school
fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12#
發表於 08-11-21 16:35 |只看該作者

13#
發表於 08-11-21 17:07 |只看該作者

14#
發表於 08-11-21 23:11 |只看該作者
Actually on Day I when ISF submitted their application to IBO as candidate school, ISF should be fully aware of the fact that their language policy would have clash with IBO policy. Then why ISF still proceeded with their application and told their parrents that they would get the accreditation of MYP very soon? I think there may be other reasons why they cannot get the accreditation. Just my two cents views.

15#
發表於 08-11-23 08:40 |只看該作者
I think I no longer want to take part in this thread. The topic or the subject of discussion has once again been twisted.

16#
發表於 08-11-23 10:00 |只看該作者
如果睇開"教育王國"的Daddy, Mummy, 應該會留意到wisekid2007-----囝囝讀"德瑞", 但非常熱衷於去其他與他無關的學校去發表他的"偉論"!  
無錯, 各抒己見係好事, 但每次見佢都係在"插"其他學校, 長篇大論----可能"德瑞"訓練到佢囝囝好獨立, 令佢太多時間太得閒; 佢仲特別對ISF, local傳統名小學有特別偏好-----插!

17#
發表於 08-11-23 11:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 bobodad 於 08-11-23 10:00 發表
如果睇開"教育王國"的Daddy, Mummy, 應該會留意到wisekid2007-----囝囝讀"德瑞", 但非常熱衷於去其他與他無關的學校去發表他的"偉論"!  
無錯, 各抒己見係好事, 但每次見佢都係在"插"其他學校, 長篇大論----可能"德 ...

bobodad,
I share the same view with you.

Actually, German Swiss also had management problem with the recent renovation work.  If the die-hard GSIS fans is a fair person, s/he should share that with us too.  

I am also glad that someone pointed out the issues of ISF, so that more parents will think carefully before they apply or accept the offers.  Really hope that my children will have a better chance to get into ISF.

18#
發表於 08-11-23 20:51 |只看該作者
Yes, I am agree,There are no perfect school,Just
find the one to fit you!I hope ISF will give you an offer!ISF is not a perfect school,It still have a lot of things need to improve.Give it some times,Its really a good school!

19#
發表於 08-11-23 21:11 |只看該作者
Hi Sabun,
I totally agree with you.
I think many parents have misunstand the PYP, MYP and DP that organised by IBO. Pls go into theit website and study hard before giving comments.

20#
發表於 08-11-24 09:19 |只看該作者
Hi Almom,

Thanks for your reply with appreciation.

Saturn.

原帖由 almom 於 08-11-21 10:13 發表

I know that quite a number of schools have put forth with such ideas to parents. I think, if they are responsible educationalists, they should not have said something like that.

If they do not want ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題