用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 The main differences between private school and gov' ...
發新帖
查看: 1425|回覆: 18
go

The main differences between private school and gov't/subsidized school [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-11-25 00:40 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Except school fee, any difference in teacher quality etc?

Anyone can share your view?
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-11-25 02:17 |只看該作者
more of a difference between top schools and rest...don't think there is much in between...

3#
發表於 09-11-25 07:49 |只看該作者
Govt and aided school's students come from different standard of kinders.  For the first year of P.1, teacher take some time to get along with them.
Govt and aided school, I found they just follow the education system in Hong Kong.

Private and DSS school's students got the seat after the interview or examination.  More or less, they're almost same standard between each other.  So, teacher is more easy to get along with his/her class.
They have more flexiable to teach different things in the class.  Of course, that's according to different kinds of private schools.

No matter which schools, parents take the big effort and a important role for their school life.

4#
發表於 09-11-26 23:48 |只看該作者
原帖由 parentslove2 於 09-11-25 07:49 發表
Govt and aided school's students come from different standard of kinders.  For the first year of P.1, teacher take some time to get along with them.
Govt and aided school, I found they just follow the ...

Thanks, what do you think about the quality of teacher between aided and private school? When you are choosing between these two types, would you consider a better peer influence at private or DSS schools than aided school?

5#
發表於 09-11-27 07:53 |只看該作者
This is personal, most of the parents in private schools and DSS are quite care about their education even pay for it.  That's the reason why a lot of civil servants put their kids in private school instead, they no need to pay so much for school fee and got average standard.

6#
發表於 09-11-27 07:56 |只看該作者
Teachers standard is depend on luck!  Most of the students love their teachers so much, a least better than parents.

7#
發表於 09-11-27 09:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 PVC 於 09-11-25 00:40 發表
Except school fee, any difference in teacher quality etc?

不同的經營模式,產生不同的文化。教育エ作的態度和目標因而不同。

舉例,面對收生。私校可以做的只能面對競争,努力工作。而律校同エ,只要示威、訴苦、甚至將不安發泄在孩子身上,已可達到目標。

8#
發表於 09-11-27 10:37 |只看該作者
原帖由 parentslove2 於 09-11-27 07:56 發表
Teachers standard is depend on luck!  Most of the students love their teachers so much, a least better than parents.

You mean teachers at government schools depend on luck?

Teachers in private schools are probably under more pressure to delivery results...otherwise they will not last long since students have been selected.   Private schools need deliver results otherwise it will loose its appeal, hence lost of income.

9#
發表於 09-11-27 12:29 |只看該作者
Just sharing this topic from another angle -

DSS and private school needs to pay and many demand relatively high tuitions.

This can somehow shape the student profile into a relatively smaller pool.  Thus, the idea of a school being a miniture of society kind of lost.

Plus, many parents overdone in spending on their kids these days.  Extravagent birthday parties are not rare.  If a significant percentage of students have this kind of extravagent upbring, raising kids in such school to have good value can get tricky.

Yet, even for DSS and Private schools there are a wide range of general parent profiles.  Most important is to ask yourself what is more important in your scale and make your own decision.

This is a highly personal decision and derserves more thinking if try to see clearer.

Many traditional good schools turned DSS these few years.  Yet, while changing to this "format" I think many of their merits are gone or turned bad.  Only time can tell.

This, schooling is always a gamble to a large extra.  Poor parents we are.

醒目開學勳章 貢獻勳章

10#
發表於 09-11-27 12:46 |只看該作者
師資應該無乜太大分別
反而朋友教路 (做緊教師嘅) 如果可能的話, 搵間教師流失率低嘅學校.. 小心嗰d新派直資, 因為如果d policy行唔通, d老師覺得個校長唔掂, 就會走人!

11#
發表於 09-11-27 12:47 |只看該作者
原帖由 semideaf 於 09-11-27 12:29 發表
Just sharing this topic from another angle -

DSS and private school needs to pay and many demand relatively high tuitions.

This can somehow shape the student profile into a relatively smaller pool. ...

I agree with to some extent what you say.  To a certain dilution of standards is inevitable when you have no control of the intake.  When placement becomes rig for those connected and remaining are mark six winners, the section that cannot keep up will be left behind.   This probably does more harm then good to the kids.  

Instilling values an issue we face a society at large and not only with our kids.  My eldest kid always ask me what did I have at her age, nothing is always my answer.

12#
發表於 09-11-27 13:00 |只看該作者
Teaching in a DSS or private school faces lots of pressure from the demand of parents and principal. From the angle of teachers, it's not easy to survive long in these schools. Also, the pay scale may be different. Subsidized schools provide salary based on the govt. scale plus provident fund. These are more attractive to teachers. Usually teachers prefer subsidized ones. Even if some stay in famous DSS, they may be thinking of guaranteeing a seat for their kids only.

Moreover, private and DSS schools are more like giving services to parents. They may act too much like customer service and customer are always right. Also, parents like to place gifted children or the ones with behavioral problems there because they have more say when they pay. These are what you may need to consider.

13#
發表於 09-11-27 13:11 |只看該作者
原帖由 magiccandy 於 09-11-27 13:00 發表
Teaching in a DSS or private school faces lots of pressure from the demand of parents and principal. From the angle of teachers, it's not easy to survive long in these schools. Also, the pay scale may ...

From my teacher friends, its lots of pressure even for the state schools.  

When demand outstrips supply by >> 10:1 then it is a private school markets, they don't have to listen to parents.  There are many parents that will move their kids to famous private schools at every level.

14#
發表於 09-11-27 13:37 |只看該作者
I am undergoing the same difficult decision these days.  

Complicating this problem is that it is not really a black and white decision.  I already enrolled my kid to a DSS school and got out of the governmental system.  Yet, DSS also have a broad spectrum to pick from.

I told my kid the same thing as you did.  I agree parents are important in shaping value.  Yet, to my dismay, I also got shaped by the environment too.

My 2 kids are now studying in a more "customer oriented" kindergarten.  I see how they mingle with class mates, other parents, I sense something is wrong as they always go to fancy places and learn sports in a "lux" way.  Yet, I cannot keep banning them from going and my wife agreed to this kind of activities.  To take a step further, 2 yrs ago, I would think sending kids to $400/hr swiming class or English tutor was crazy.  Now I got numb and am doing it.

I just hope to say we sometimes cannot overestimate our own firmness.  Certain problems if can avoid, better avoid in the first place....

I am still debating on what school to go.  Fame/brand can be a hard thing to resist.  Being able to get in certain schools does feel good.  Yet, is this vanity good enough to just let the kids just go blindly?

This is indeed a true gamble.

I am still confused....

Just sharing.

原帖由 smartmatt 於 09-11-27 12:47 發表

I agree with to some extent what you say.  To a certain dilution of standards is inevitable when you have no control of the intake.  When placement becomes rig for those connected and remaining are  ...

15#
發表於 09-11-27 13:42 |只看該作者
By the way, I think being teachers are tough these days.  

Yet, students of many good schools learnt not from school.  Tutoring has become a norm.  Look into the workload, school material and compare them to the exams.  One can easily see there is minimum correlations....

原帖由 semideaf 於 09-11-27 13:37 發表

Complicating this problem is that it is not really a black and white decision.  I already enrolled my kid to a DSS school and got out of the  ...

16#
發表於 09-11-27 14:14 |只看該作者
原帖由 semideaf 於 09-11-27 13:37 發表

Complicating this problem is that it is not really a black and white decision.  I already enrolled my kid to a DSS school and got out of the  ...

I guess we make as complicated as want it to be.

Fame/ brand schools build their reputations by delivering quality education and students.  

No tutorials for my kids.  My girl goes to strict traditional school and hopefully my son can follow.  Hence, external pressure is not really an issue as school only allows small personalization and material possessions into school.

ECA have to be earned with good conduct and grades.   Plus we limit to one activity a day on weekends.   We always try for group type ECA for our kids so they get meet other kids.  Activities for the family, with relations and with our and kids friends are also very important.  

The discussion on which and type of school is always the main topic of discussion.   We also ask our girl - hard, medium or easy, and she selects hard.   Her input is also important as she is more committed if she made to feel part of the decision making.

17#
發表於 09-11-27 14:36 |只看該作者
First off, I must congratulate you for getting the right school for your kids.

As I always say, DSS or private school have a broad spectrum.  Most of them are great schools.  I also have no doubt many of these schools  provide a competitive academic environment as this is how they earned their fame.

I am just trying to avoid certain ones that are too "blue blood" if you know what I mean.  This is my own preference.

This decision is not easy and the more I look into the current system, the more I see the evil of all choices... Yes, I can be a pessimist.

原帖由 smartmatt 於 09-11-27 14:14 發表

I guess we make as complicated as want it to be.

Fame/ brand schools build their reputations by delivering quality education and students.  

No tutorials for my kids.  My girl goes to strict trad ...

18#
發表於 09-11-27 14:56 |只看該作者
原帖由 semideaf 於 09-11-27 14:36 發表
First off, I must congratulate you for getting the right school for your kids.

As I always say, DSS or private school have a broad spectrum.  Most of them are great schools.  I also have no doubt man ...

Yes, I get you meaning.  Me too, blue blood, is also not my cup of tea.   The water is pretty murky!

19#
發表於 09-11-27 21:02 |只看該作者
I think DSS offer choices to parents. There are blue bloods as well as approachable ones among the famous DSS. Good schools do demand parents to help their children at home, rather than take them to tutorials.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題