搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Local switch to IS
發新帖
查看: 3387|回覆: 10
go

Local switch to IS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-1-27 10:34 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
can i get some advice from parents here please.
my child is attending local school (english primary) and we want him to study IS when he finish P6 (equivalent to IS P7), any IS school would you consider would provide/recommend for this transition?
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-1-27 13:22 |只看該作者
The earlier to do the 'switch', the easier for the kid to adapt. However, you need to consider:
-English requirement;
-Teaching and learning styles of IS;
-Whether your kid likes the prospective school.
I am afraid you need to do preparations, before you make an application and let your kid go in.

3#
發表於 10-1-28 10:45 |只看該作者
原帖由 inho 於 10-1-27 13:22 發表
The earlier to do the 'switch', the easier for the kid to adapt. However, you need to consider:
-English requirement;
-Teaching and learning styles of IS;
-Whether your kid likes the prospective scho ...

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

4#
發表於 10-1-28 10:53 |只看該作者
Any successful story or similiar situation other parents can share?

原帖由 KiddyPrince 於 10-1-28 10:45 發表

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

5#
發表於 10-1-28 11:35 |只看該作者
Can any parents tell how to consider age-and-grade allocation? For example, p.6 students in local schools are 11 while grade 6 ones in IS (British system) are 10. Children aged 11 generally go to grade 7. Hence, how students from local schools can fit in?

6#
發表於 10-1-28 12:07 |只看該作者
原帖由 inho 於 10-1-28 11:35 發表
Can any parents tell how to consider age-and-grade allocation? For example, p.6 students in local schools are 11 while grade 6 ones in IS (British system) are 10. Children aged 11 generally go to grad ...

P.6 local students have to apply according to their age group, i.e. year 8 in UK system IS, not year 7.  There are written assessments and interviews for admission.  Successful or not of course depends on the abilities of the students, no. of application and no. of seats available.

7#
發表於 10-1-28 13:39 |只看該作者
How old is your child now?  Most IS have a very long waiting list.  You should actually apply a number of IS NOW.  You can't wait until he or she finishes P.6.  Meanwhile, you must make sure your child's English is up to standard.  "Good" English (eg. perfect grammar and correct spelling) in local schools don't necessarily work in IS, and hence may not enable a child to pass their admission screening/assessment.  

原帖由 KiddyPrince 於 10-1-27 10:34 發表
can i get some advice from parents here please.
my child is attending local school (english primary) and we want him to study IS when he finish P6 (equivalent to IS P7), any IS school would you consid ...

8#
發表於 10-1-28 14:40 |只看該作者
Thank you BK parents on their generous advices.

So as you indicated, we need to apply now? We are still looking at another 5+ years in Primary local. How does the application work? We apply now and tell them we aim for Grade 7 (age 12 admission)? Based on the ESF selection criteria, do they consider our application a category 1 or 2? Our child is a foreign citizen. Has anyone experienced any admission test or something alike? Sorry for asking so many questions, we are in a blind fold and want to know more....thanks in advance for any advices and feedback.

Other than ESF, what about AusIS, AmericanIS and CAIS?

9#
發表於 10-1-28 15:25 |只看該作者
There are always vacancies appearing in IS between Year 7 & Year 9 due to students leaving to go abroad.
This year several local kids got into GSIS for Year 7 / Year 8.
I'm sure it would be the same for many other IS.

10#
發表於 10-1-28 22:28 |只看該作者
原帖由 KiddyPrince 於 10-1-28 14:40 發表
Thank you BK parents on their generous advices.

So as you indicated, we need to apply now? We are still looking at another 5+ years in Primary local. How does the application work? We apply now and  ...

It does not work like that with ESF.
If you are targeting Year 7, you apply one year before your child enter Year 7.
If you apply now, you are applying to a ESF primary school. And I think applications to a ESF primary school would not automatically be tranferred to a ESF secondary school (when your child reach the age for year 7). A new application will have to be filed for Year 7 with a ESF secondary school.
Foreign passport might or might not help. As far as I know, ESF can exercise their own discretion when taking students.
However ultimately everything depends on the availability of places. Lots of people leave at different years in secondary school. So it is in fact not as hard as many people say. Good luck.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 10-1-28 22:31 編輯 ]

11#
發表於 10-1-29 10:10 |只看該作者
Thanks again for BK parents for the valuable insight and sharing. I will check with various school and learn about their requirement.
Any parents who have other thouight can share please do so.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題